Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 01-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
RCUS
Human being with feelings

Default BANG YOUR HEAD! - Rewire Glitch with Reason. 1/2 work BUT 3/4 to 63/64 don't

Haven't found this specific problem anywhere and i have been researching since last Thursday so here it goes:

I have set up Reaper to work with Reason via Rewire by following the instructions from Tallisman here:

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthre...ewire+channels

Here's my problem:

Initially, everything was fine. I was able to lay down 21 tracks of mixed media (VSt's, Reason/Rewire, Recorded Audio). But a few days after I stared tracking, i began to hear the audio from Reason coming through Rewire with cracking/popping/artifacts and dropouts in addition to the transport timer flashing red.

The CATCH is that Tracks 1/2 coming from Rewire sound PERFECT, while anything after that in the chain sounds degraded (pops/artifacts etc..). Even if I switch the instrument from tracks 3/4 and put them on I've tried multiple versions of Reaper/Rewire, I've tried going back to restore points, and I've tried re-installing both programs in different orders. I've tried re-setting up a blank template. Nothing works.

It just doesn't make sense why track 1/2 from Rewire is fine and all the others are jacked. I have tried disabling feedback routing thinking that might be the problem, but that causes the chain and separately routed outputs to stop working altogether.

I am using:

Open Labs Miko LX w/ 64bit- DualCore processor
2 Gigs of Ram
Presonus Firebox (Firewire Connection)
Reason 4
Reaper 2.032 (tried everything from 2.014 onward)

I would site soundcard issues as the potential problem, but my audio card is not PCI, so I don't foresee any IRQ sharing conflicts and Reason works fine on it's own - as does Reaper and any other program.

I guess my next step is to re-install the Firebox drivers?

Any other suggestions/experience with this is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by RCUS; 01-28-2008 at 01:13 PM.
RCUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
Charlie_M

I'm still on reason 3 but I route in something like 14 channels with that same method and never had this issue. But I'm just routing drums. Maybe it's a greater cpu load if you're doing all kinds of synths and whatnot.

The symptoms you are describing sounds like either the cpu or one of your data/sample streams isn't able to keep up with demand.

What is your CPU meter telling you (it's a menu item under the "view" menu iirc...)?

Charlie
Charlie_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
RCUS

Default CPU

my CPU's mock me and call me names it's so low.

Usually less than 15%.

Also, under the buffering tab preferences, I have all the FX processing/multiprocessing boxes checked and my render-ahead size is 400ms.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
malcolmj

Hi,

I have Reason 4 and haven't encountered this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUS View Post
I have tried disabling feedback routing thinking that might be the problem, but that causes the chain and separately routed outputs to stop working altogether.
This might be causing the problem. I've never used it myself. What are you using Feedback Routing for?

If you can post a sample Reaper Project File (just the Project file, no media) I can open it on my machine and see if I can repro the problem.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
RCUS

Thanks for the offer Malcolmj!

Attached is a template that i made the other day that has the symptoms. I am including both the Reaper and Rewire files completely blank. The Reaper file is set to the virual midi keyboard for Midi input.

Channels 1/2 out of Rewire (track 1 on Reaper) sound 100% perfect. Channels 3/4 through 27/28 (tracks 2 through 15 on Reaper) sound crackly/artifacty and cause the transport counter to flash red if something is recorded/played back.

Feedback routing seems to be the only thing that would allow me to click a specific track, play on my keyboard, and have the midi route to the Rewire Track (1 in this case) while simultaneously sending the audio from Rewire back to the original track...correct?

For example, I click the record arm on the Reaper track "Malstrom 1" and play something. It then sends the midi signal through track 1 "Rewire Master / Thor", triggers a note on the Malstrom, then the audio is resent back through Track 1 "Rewire Master / Thor" to Track 2 "Malstrom 1".
Attached Files
File Type: zip rewireprobs.zip (53.6 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by RCUS; 01-29-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:05 AM   #6
malcolmj

Quote:
Feedback routing seems to be the only thing that would allow me to click a specific track, play on my keyboard, and have the midi route to the Rewire Track (1 in this case) while simultaneously sending the audio from Rewire back to the original track...correct?
Yeah, I guess that would be the only way to achieve that.

I have attached an example of an alternate routing system that I use. The MIDI Tracks and Audio tracks are separated. The downside of this system is that you end up with more tracks, but the upside is that the routing is more stable. I have used the Virtual MIDI keyboard again and your Reason file, and supplied a new Reaper Project for you to have a look at. This setup should work if you want to record the MIDI in Reaper.

I usually only use the MIDI side of Reaper for VSTi's and keep the rest of my MIDI work in the Reason sequencer, so I don't have the first set of tracks in my Reaper projects.

Sorry this doesn't solve your Feedback Routing problems. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Alternative_Routing_Example.zip (53.9 KB, 161 views)
Old 01-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
RCUS

Default Thanks!

Thanks malcolmj. I was out riding today and didn't get a chance to try it out. i'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. thanks again for taking this on!

**UPDATE**
Everything works awesome in the template that you sent me malcolmj! Thanks for your help man!! I'm glad it wasn't my soundcard or anything wrong with my gear. I am using your template now and completely understand the routing so that I can build off it going forward.

Still wondering why my template didn't work, but I got no time to worry about that any more...there's music to be made!

thanks again man!

Last edited by RCUS; 01-31-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
malcolmj

Quote:
Still wondering why my template didn't work,
Hopefully Justin will get a chance to look at your files at some stage.

Glad to hear the alternative routing is working for you.

Cheers,

Malcolm.