Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #1
edkilp
Human being with feelings

Default Free Windows 10 Upgrade?

Hi all. I recently got a notification in my taskbar to reserve my free upgrade to Windows 10. I went ahead and did that. Today I got a confirmation email saying my upgrade would be available from July 29th, the download would happen automatically, then I'll be notified when it's ready to install.

Has this been happening to other users? I currently have Winows7 x64. If I can actually upgrade to 10 for free, is it recommended? Right now, all my stuff works in Win7. Are there any here with Windows10 experience with any horror stories? I'd hate to do this only to find out that my UX2 isn't supported, MDrummer isn't compatible, yada, yada, yada. Thanks.

**EDIT** I guess I'm asking if any beta testers have discovered any problems. I have been on Win7 for so long. I saw Win8 once and it looked like a big smart phone, full of icons. If it's really free, and it appears to be so, then I'd like to be up to date. But not at the expense of having to wait and wait for plugin developers to catch up. Thanks again.

Last edited by edkilp; 06-03-2015 at 05:09 PM.
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #2
xpander

I believe this is the latest Windows 10 topic, there are some beta testing results too:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=161738

Overall, Win10 seems pretty promising. I'm currently using Win8.1 and will most likely go to 10 soon enough but not necessarily right away when it's released.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
edkilp

Definitely seems worth a try.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:14 PM   #4
Refillable

Depends on the hardware support. I use Edirol UM-550 midi interface (very nice and reliable piece of equipment), and the latest driver is for win7, so I'm not upgrading.
Refillable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:53 AM   #5
novaburst

Yes I got my notification too I also reserved a copy but still not sure of any real benefits, from windows 7 I am not sure if beta test is OK because by the time the full version is out it would have changed quite a bit. I have herd about how great the beta is with working with audio and daw but the one question remains will the full version be as great for our music this is a very important post please don't remove, we know there have been window 10 post in the past, thing is July is only a few weeks away and I believe we need to get our heads around this, do we or do we not change to windows 10 is windows 10 going to be a great step for our music and art work or is it going go be a great fail. Please bare with us on this latest window 10 post.
novaburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
DigiDis

Today I reserved the upgrade but will probably not install it until September or October after I see how everyone is getting along with it. I am now using 8.1 and it is rock solid, lean and fast. Here's hoping 10 is even better.

One question: Will the upgrade give us the ability to do a clean install over the existing OS? I would prefer to do a clean install and start fresh. If not, I suppose I could load an image I made when I just got windows configured and install over that.
DigiDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDis View Post

One question: Will the upgrade give us the ability to do a clean install over the existing OS? I would prefer to do a clean install and start fresh. If not, I suppose I could load an image I made when I just got windows configured and install over that.
Looks like it...

Quote:
Gabe Aul, an engineering general manager for Microsoft’s operating systems group, said in a tweet that people who upgrade a device to Windows 10 during the first year of its existence will be able to perform a clean reinstall of Windows 10 on the same device “any time.”
Old 06-04-2015, 01:18 PM   #8
DigiDis

^^^ Thanks for the good news!
DigiDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:45 PM   #9
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDis View Post
^^^ Thanks for the good news!
I'm wondering how the download will be delivered. I hope it's a bootable ISO, because I format my computer about twice a year on average. I'd like to not jump through hoops when I want to re-do my OS.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:44 AM   #10
paulheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkilp View Post
I'm wondering how the download will be delivered. I hope it's a bootable ISO, because I format my computer about twice a year on average. I'd like to not jump through hoops when I want to re-do my OS.
Likely there will be an initial upgrade through Windows Update with an ISO available a bit later. Currently on the insider program we have a fast ring release where you basically get frequent new builds as they are good enough for public release and a slow ring which sees the more stable builds and will also have a downloadable ISO.
paulheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:00 AM   #11
Mivo

Personally, I'll get Windows 10 when I buy a new machine. I've never had much luck with upgrading Windows to the next version on the same machine. If I have to do a clean install, I might as well use the opportunity to buy new hardware and then slowly move stuff to it without time pressure and stress (work). (My current laptop is just over a year old, so I don't plan to get anything new before next summer at the earliest.)

Last edited by Mivo; 06-08-2015 at 06:50 AM.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:42 AM   #12
novaburst

Having things not work once you boot up is kind of nerve racking,I have herd many say 10 is fine with there software, no problems but staying on the side of caution maybe we need to wait until manufactures catch up with new drivers to be sure of stability in windows 10
novaburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:14 AM   #13
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaburst View Post
...stability in windows 10
Completly agreed!
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #14
RobertP

agreed again
I dont have a spare machine to play with so ...
I cannot find anything on the focusrite site or forum so ..
wait and see
Old 06-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #15
DerMetzgermeister

As with any new OS version, caution is mandatory!
I don't have currently a dedicated DAW computer but if I had one I wouldn't upgrade until there's some degree of certainty that my devices and software will work, and before that I would do a full backup image of my system in case something goes bad.
DerMetzgermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #16
babag

apparently, an iso will be available but, as this major upgrade is unusual in its free nature, it's unclear to me how to handle it. the reservation and download is handled through windows update. i'd like to avoid downloading twice, once through update and again as an iso. i've posted questions about this on a couple of ms sites but not gotten an answer.

BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #17
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Windows 10 is installed via Windows Update and it does a in-place-installation with a rollback-function.

I dont know how many times that has to be pointed out. there is no "clean install" or formatting or any of the bullshit needed. ok, some restarts will be necessary ...

I have done some in-place-upgrades. worked absolut flawless. absolut. no data loss.

the whole discussion is now at a point where it is getting religious. noone knows, everyone assumes, most come from false assumptions to wrong conclusion, it is mostly talking about what maybe could be.

that is the definition of pointless.

make an image-backup of your C-drive, in-place-install Win 10, if you dont like it, roll back and replay the backup.

discussion closed.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #18
viscofisy

Gott im Himmel!

I thought Scottish people were crabbit.
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:49 PM   #19
alanofoz

I wonder exactly what is free. I saw a suggestion somewhere that it's the first year of an ongoing yearly subscription. But IDK...

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:30 PM   #20
Mivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanofoz View Post
I wonder exactly what is free. I saw a suggestion somewhere that it's the first year of an ongoing yearly subscription. But IDK...
Me, too. I haven't dug deeply into it yet since it's not immediate (and I'd wait a while anyway), but I definitely won't do a subscription for an OS. I'd sooner switch to a Mac (yes, with all the issues of poor backward compatibility) or entertain the idea of going back to Linux again (it's actually why I've not bought any VSTs this year that don't have Linux versions or are likely to have Linux versions).

I've actually been warming up to the whole Mac idea for the past year or two, but not quiet ready for that yet. Depends a bit on where Apple is going with the iPad Plus/Pro (whatever they'll call it) and what new MacBook models are on the horizon (definitely not interested in that netbook-like model they have introduced -- need more power under the head). Similarly, I need to see how Windows 10 pans out, compatibility, integration with mobile Windows devices (or Surafce), etc.

Either way, I don't feel pressured to upgrade or switch!
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:47 PM   #21
paulheu

If you upgrade in the year after release it is free, if you decide to wait for whatever reason and upgrade later there's a fee.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:19 AM   #22
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post
Gott im Himmel!

I thought Scottish people were crabbit.
oh, mann, ich bin nicht crabbit.

why do people rather discuss pointless things without knowing anything than going the source (Microsoft), get the information and shutup. no questionmark, because its a rethorical question.

isnt that kind of behaviour mostly called stupid?
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:32 AM   #23
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulheu View Post
If you upgrade in the year after release it is free, if you decide to wait for whatever reason and upgrade later there's a fee.
I agree, this is my understanding from the Microsoft information. No subscription model!

Old 06-09-2015, 04:14 AM   #24
viscofisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post

why do people rather discuss pointless things without knowing anything than going the source (Microsoft), get the information and shutup. no questionmark, because its a rethorical question.

isnt that kind of behaviour mostly called stupid?
I think it's partly because some of us are idiots, and partly because we're pretty much at Microsoft's mercy for software that has slowly become very important in our lives.
People were burned before after quietly accepting the official reccomendations.
That's probably why they ask questions about the possible pitfalls involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
..... if you're telling people to "shutup because it's a rhetorical question" you're probably undermining your own argument here
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #25
tgraph

after all this talk , I looked into it and can'd find a way to get my reservation... I don't have the icon. I can't figure a way to get it. I ran a compatibility script.. it doesn't seem to give any result. Reading the MS forums doesn't get me any closer. I'm all MS approved and all, and updated.. Any help?
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:57 AM   #26
paulheu

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583
http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ml#post3112469
Old 06-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #27
babag

and here's a whole ms wiki on upgrading from an iso and who's eligible for it:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...1-0edc4649bf43
Old 06-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #28
tgraph

thanks. looks like good info
Old 06-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #29
Aymara

I have Windows 7 x64 Home Premium, so I would get Windows 10 Home.

And that is the reason why I will NOT update, because the home edition forces us to get every update installed without any self control. That is pretty much inacceptable, especially for a DAW, because several updates caused trouble in the past and were some days or even a week later fixed with a version 2.

The only way to avoid this is to buy Win10 Pro for around 200 bucks.

No, thanks, bye bye Microsoft, I bought a Macbook.

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:39 PM   #30
paulheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
The only way to avoid this is to buy Win10 Pro for around 200 bucks.

No, thanks, bye bye Microsoft, I bought a Macbook.
You can sign up and install the Insider Preview of W10 Pro now and get the final version for free anyway or you could just upgrade and block Windows update from internet access for free.. But whatever..

Instead you buy a $1000+ dongle for OS X .. Talk about a waste of money.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #31
ivansc

Quote:
I have Windows 7 x64 Home Premium, so I would get Windows 10 Home.

And that is the reason why I will NOT update, because the home edition forces us to get every update installed without any self control.
Interesting. I have Home Premium on two machines in my care and Pro on the other 2.
NONE of them force automatic installation of updates.
Is yours a special edition for Germany? As far as I know, none of my French friends have this issue either.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:51 PM   #32
Aymara

Quote:
You can sign up and install the Insider Preview of W10 Pro now ...
I already tested Win 10 in a VM, because it's part of my job to support MS products and because I was curious.

Where does MS say, that I will get Pro though my Win 7 licence is Home?

Quote:
Talk about a waste of money.
From my point of view the Macbook was expensive, but no waiste of money. It works much better than my Windows i7 notebook regarding Reaper and photo editing, which is my second hobby.

I know, that a Mac is not for everybody, but I wanted to warn everybody to closely compare Win 7 Home and Win 10 Home ... the later has some downsides ... Windows Update enforcement, a horrible user management and who says, that they really deactivate the keylogger and even if they do, that it can't easily be reactivated later?

For me personally Win 10 Home is a No-Go and I would want Pro. So I will further use Win 7 and not update my old Vaio notebook.

My main music and photo PC is now a Mac and I didn't regret it. But that is a personal decision and I don't want to convince anyone to follow me. As I said, I wanted to warn everybody to do their homework, before they upgrade and might regret it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Interesting. I have Home Premium on two machines in my care and Pro on the other 2.
NONE of them force automatic installation of updates.
It's not Windows 7 Home, that enforces updates, it will come with Windows 10 Home as a new "feature". But it's only the Home edition. The Pro & Enterprise editions will behave like Win 7 & 8 regarding Windows Update.

Chris
Old 06-10-2015, 05:30 AM   #33
tgraph

this page had a file and info that got me set up and reserved. I'm going from Win7 SP1 Home Premium.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2-a999a883265b
Old 06-10-2015, 05:59 AM   #34
trialstech

About a month ago my recording PC hard drive failed. I had all my data backed up but not the full operating system. After searching everywhere for the Windows 7 install disks I went to the store and spent the $100 for Windows 8.1. I knew the free version 10 was coming but I thought it was going to be October... o-well.

On top of that, our practice space flooded with a foot of water last week and my PC got submerged. I've just let it dry out but haven't attempted to boot it yet.

Sorry for going off topic. Thanks for the info on the 10 upgrades. Good luck.
trialstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:00 AM   #35
paulheu

Quote:
I already tested Win 10 in a VM, because it's part of my job to support MS products and because I was curious.

Where does MS say, that I will get Pro though my Win 7 licence is Home?
Getting the Insider preview is not in any way depending on what previous OS you use, you can just (clean) install Pro. It has been confirmed several times over that an Insider Preview install will update to RTM and thus the full release with no added charge.

Quote:
As I said, I wanted to warn everybody to do their homework, before they upgrade and might regret it later.
Doing your homework also includes using the right product for your purpose. WIN7 Home is not intended to be used for pro audio/video/photo applications, that is what Pro has always been for.

But I guess you do what you gotta do, if you're happy with your Mac that's great..
Old 06-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #36
babag

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialstech View Post
... After searching everywhere for the Windows 7 install disks I went to the store and spent the $100 for Windows 8.1.
just fyi, windows iso files are generally available online from ms. you can always download and burn one, then use your current product key, which is likely on the machine someplace (underside of laptops usually). of course, if you built the box yourself and didn't store the disks where you could remember to find them...

BabaG
Old 06-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #37
paulheu

Actually no, keys for OEM versions will not work on open license copies.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:11 PM   #38
Aymara

Quote:
It has been confirmed several times over that an Insider Preview install will update to RTM and thus the full release with no added charge.
Regarding press, this is not as clear as you call it. I guess first of all you will need to be registered to the insider program.

Chris
Old 06-10-2015, 04:21 PM   #39
Garrick

I got a new machine two months ago and in my "she'll be right" bravado I installed the insider preview. A lot of things were good about win 10 but IMO, it's not ready for the shop floor yet. I spent a god awful amount of time finding the source of snap crackle and pop and yearned for win 7 which I reverted back to two nights ago.

If I were clever enough I could persevere and I had great help from bluzkat, but really folks win 7 is a solid work horse.

I liked the feel of win 10 and will upgrade, but only when I'm convinced it's ready for prime time.

Your mileage may vary
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #40
Rodal

Quote:
Doing your homework also includes using the right product for your purpose. WIN7 Home is not intended to be used for pro audio/video/photo applications, that is what Pro has always been for.
The main difference between Home premium and Pro is that Pro allows you to join a domain, with Home you can only join a homegroup. You can access more ram with Pro, i think its a 192GB limit with pro as against a 16GB limit for home. There's a few other minor things that Pro can do but nothing that would help an audio/video/photo program user.

I also dont remember there being much, if any, in the way of consumer motherboards that would have been able to use 192GB of ram back when win 7 was released.
Rodal is offline   Reply With Quote