Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 10-14-2018, 02:48 PM   #121
brainwreck
Human being with feelings

In my experience, dual-booting from the same drive eventually tends to get hosed in one way or another due to no actions on my part to cause it (nothing manually changed to do with bootloader or partitions).

Maybe one of you has a different experience and wisdom with it. If so, please enlighten me. I think I never had a dual-boot windows and linux setup on the same drive that didn't hose itself, where running from separate drives has been fine.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #122
SmajjL

Hey gang.
So the Manjaro scenario.

Yep, I am dual booting and I have Windows 10 on one complete seperate SSD and so goes for where I install Linux, on another seperate SSD.
The Linux SSD is in 3 partitions, a small one for boot, an the whole Linux and a Swap.

So this is no problem since I am aware it can happen, but furthest down, if I select the boot to the Linux SSD one first thing I do, and then, format or change stuff on my Linux drive (right, done, i'm ready to press next to install)
Wait, that boot choice furthest down have now changed back to the Windows SSD, so I just remember to switch just before I go (next, let's install) and that will work fine.

My BIOS is not set for UEFI if that matters and this boot thing that changes is furthest down below the list of harddrives I have and can prepare, not the MBR/GPT choice I one gets one step prior to this place/setup, the MBR/GPT option works, no problem.

So, nope, not the same physical drive here nope, and..
I have managed to screw up a Windows 10 boot somehow one time or two in my life, but that is rare, this is just an observation I made on, Manjaro that I keep an eye on.
So I go with the press F8 on start up and just select where I wanna boot from, works for me.

Last edited by SmajjL; 10-14-2018 at 04:29 PM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #123
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
In my experience, dual-booting from the same drive eventually tends to get hosed in one way or another due to no actions on my part to cause it (nothing manually changed to do with bootloader or partitions).

Maybe one of you has a different experience and wisdom with it. If so, please enlighten me. I think I never had a dual-boot windows and linux setup on the same drive that didn't hose itself, where running from separate drives has been fine.
I'm going on about three months now with dual Win7/Xubuntu on a 250GB EVO SSD, and everything is happy. I cloned my HD based Windows to it first, then shrunk the volume by 30GB and installed Xubuntu.

That all went great and then I found REAPER for Linux, got it working really well and wished I had allocated more of the SSD for the Linux side of the house. Two weekends ago I decided to bite the bullet and steal all 100GB that remained on the Windows side, so I shrunk the Windows volume a second time, leaving it only 10GB.

That was where it got tricky because it made it so I was appending the functioning Linux partition onto an empty 100GB of space, rather that tacking the 100GB onto the end of the functioning Linux partition. Had to boot from a live disk, and make some other changes due to UUIDs and stuff, but it's been working great and I have all the free space for Linux now.

If something was going to get corrupted on my system, I figgered that would have done it, but I've booted both OSs a bunch of times since then and Saul Goodman!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #124
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I'm going on about three months now with dual Win7/Xubuntu on a 250GB EVO SSD, and everything is happy. I cloned my HD based Windows to it first, then shrunk the volume by 30GB and installed Xubuntu.
It's been a long time since I setup a dual-boot on the same drive (years ago). It always seemed to work out fine at first. Then eventually I would find myself with a windows partition that wouldn't boot due to a screwed up partition table. I got tired of that happening and started using separate drives, which never gave me any problems. I don't really know why it happened when dual-booting from the same drive, but it seemed to happen every time. I do remember reading endlessly about this in the past, being an issue with grub making windows unbootable. But the details are foggy at this point.

Last edited by brainwreck; 10-14-2018 at 05:15 PM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #125
Glennbo

Quote:
It's been a long time since I setup a dual-boot on the same drive (years ago). It always seemed to work out fine at first. Then eventually I would find myself with a windows partition that wouldn't boot due to a screwed up partition table. I got tired of that happening and started using separate drives, which never gave me any problems. I don't really know why it happened when dual-booting from the same drive, but it seemed to happen every time.
While I have done a lot of reading from the Windows partition while in Linux, I have avoided doing any writing to it from Linux. I could totally see Linux writing something to the Windows partition that would make Windows get hosed.

That said, at this point if my Windows partition were to become corrupt, I would simply steal ALL the space it was using and give it to the Linux side of the house. The only thing I've needed to boot Windows for in the last three months was to see how I had things setup so I could duplicate them in Linux.

The two OSs are almost identical now in applications, tweaked functionality, and plugins for REAPER. Only a couple exist in Windows that I don't have running in Linux, and I'm caring about them less every day.

About the only other differences now are that the Linux side has updated Intel microcode that mitigates Spectre, where Windows 7 does NOT, and Windows 7 sends sooper sekret data from my machine to Microsoft a jillion times per hour, where Linux does NOT.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #126
s wave

Default Dual boot... etc.

Ya... I have set up dual boots (some how i just don't trust all the firmware UUID and all windows type stuff) I am much more comfortable controlling computer with LINUX as the primary OS --with a separate hard drives for every OS.
Glennbo - Another thing I hate about WIN os when being the master or priority boot - I find it much hard to partition from windows... I mean its flexibility.
I Like LVM with Linux sat MINT (Fedora is great too)so I can expand Hard drive space even expand it or even to a NEW HARD DRIVE. Thats a lot of good variables. I like it. MINT 19 has native LVM now.

for a DUAL OS PC I Like to have Hardware AND Bios/Uefi suited for Windows and Linux. Meaning there is no need to change bios or UEFI settings or firmware etc. If you can get a PC to be able to cold swap Hard drive with different OSs on them --THATS WHAT I LIKE!! ... from there I can physically plug (boot) and play.
OR if you have the money get a SATA CONTROLLER SWITCH or 'sata switch'
... a physical on off switch that will divert the computers sata path to different hard drives with different OSs on them. SWEET-~
I use win 7 or earlier. Although I heard 10 is better than 8. I like WIN PXE 10 live boot like what is on Hirens Boot CD program (its free win download too!!) other ideas?
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:33 PM   #127
s wave

Default How I used to dual boot...2hdd win/linux

One more note -- if i wanted to dual boot with WINDOWS as priority...
I used to:
1) Install Windows first. then unplug windows drive.
2) then add new hard drive and install Linux on it.
3) then re add windows drive.
4) then ADJUST boot options etc. (and boot)

xtra note lotta problems are caused from bios legacy ide uefi compatibility
settings - depending on your Mobo - you can run linux ez on Uefi
setting now. BUT some Mobos I use Compatibility mode or legacy or
bios or even IDE mode. WORTH reading up on the basics of bios efi
and uefi.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:06 PM   #128
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Ya... I have set up dual boots (some how i just don't trust all the firmware UUID and all windows type stuff) I am much more comfortable controlling computer with LINUX as the primary OS --with a separate hard drives for every OS.
Glennbo - Another thing I hate about WIN os when being the master or priority boot - I find it much hard to partition from windows... I mean its flexibility.
I Like LVM with Linux sat MINT (Fedora is great too)so I can expand Hard drive space even expand it or even to a NEW HARD DRIVE. Thats a lot of good variables. I like it. MINT 19 has native LVM now.

for a DUAL OS PC I Like to have Hardware AND Bios/Uefi suited for Windows and Linux. Meaning there is no need to change bios or UEFI settings or firmware etc. If you can get a PC to be able to cold swap Hard drive with different OSs on them --THATS WHAT I LIKE!! ... from there I can physically plug (boot) and play.
OR if you have the money get a SATA CONTROLLER SWITCH or 'sata switch'
... a physical on off switch that will divert the computers sata path to different hard drives with different OSs on them. SWEET-~
I use win 7 or earlier. Although I heard 10 is better than 8. I like WIN PXE 10 live boot like what is on Hirens Boot CD program (its free win download too!!) other ideas?
My mobo is 9 years old from before they were making UEFI, and it's totally happy with either OS. It also has builtin boot menu if you hit F8 at the POST. That said, I'm comfortable with Grub living on the primary partition, and defaulted it to boot Linux if I don't select anything different.

Sometime in the next year, I plan to make an image of the whole Linux partition, wipe the entire SSD and then only reload Linux.

Windows 7 only has another 14 months before the extended support ends anyway.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:44 PM   #129
s wave

Default I do like 970 motherboards and earlier...

Got grub set up you are pretty good 2 go. I am trying to get as many free or dirt cheap older boards as I can... I am also a fan of Reg. HDs over SSDs. Of course if you have them set up for read only type stuff thats great IMO. Fast.. , Make sure you have a 'dashboard' for the SSD thats my tip: for keeping eye on usage and how full the partitions are. Had a few friends have nightmare crashes and tough recoveries! VIVA legacy. WIN 7: I like the cracked type that doesn't update... cuz I just use one or 2 programs like rufus etc... for working on OPs PCs. Like to copy to spare Flash drive for backups tc.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #130
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Windows 7 only has another 14 months before the extended support ends anyway.
The irony there is that we can't trust Microsoft anyway. Remember when they started pushing their snoopy updates to Windows 7?
Old 10-14-2018, 10:04 PM   #131
Glennbo

Quote:
The irony there is that we can't trust Microsoft anyway. Remember when they started pushing their snoopy updates to Windows 7?
I was keeping up with a list of KB numbers to uninstall and mark to never install from Cambridge, but I haven't messed with it in a long time, so I'm sure my Win7 has been compromised again by Microsoft.

One of the BIG reasons I am breaking up with them.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #132
s wave

Default Agreed

root word of 'technology': hide and replicate... things haven't changed in thousands of years rlol. Thats why I moved over to sandboxing and pulling the plug when needed! And use burner pc... download copy to flash move to DAW pc. I finally had enough of oh you have an update and its going to start happening now then crash... I remember win 95 backdoor. Who's running the GUI anyway I thought it was me. They only program I am running from near cambridge is 'Sonic Visualizer' great old program for analyzing sound clips. I highly recommend it! I think it is from the queens college. I guess thats why they invented reverse spam programs. Whats that? haha... Modulization thats a good idea. In the old days they just built a moat around the castle. tc
Old 10-16-2018, 09:51 AM   #133
jazznfunk

Xfce on Linux Mint 18 & 19.

Reaper for Linux is running extremely well on both my lean Celeron laptops.
jazznfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #134
s wave

Default XFCE

Like that distro alot. I am Lithuanian by descent. Live in USA. viva Riga and Vilnius! gādāt - sveikatą
Old 11-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #135
Danny Medina

Default XFCE+ Archlinux = :)

I'm using XFCE4 + Archlinux, packages installed are not an issue since I'm using arch.. I used to run cinnamon but there were some performance issues that arised so i had to put it away & switch to xfce4. As of now I'm working on using XFCE as much as i can as a tool , making custom shortcuts, changing modifying keys and whatnot & so far I am very pleased with the graphical performance & simplicity of it, no complaints over here.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2018-11-10-110407_3920x2160_scrot.png (59.4 KB, 132 views)
File Type: png xfce-rea.png (56.5 KB, 132 views)
Danny Medina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #136
fruen

Manjaro xfce with arch pro-audio. Ofc Reaper and mixbus. Faster than Linuxmint cinnamon my previous distro i think
fruen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #137
cern.th.skei

installed kubuntu 18.10 a few days ago, after using mint for a couple of years.. everything is smooth and cozy.. :-)
Old 11-10-2018, 11:31 PM   #138
Gil Navarro

This is how I handle the pain of dual booting and wishing you could change something:
1. Install Windows. Get it the way you want it.
2. Do an image backup, it’s in control panel-system etc. to an external.
3. Create a system restore usb stick
4. Add Linux second OS dual boot
5. I log into Windows and do a second image backup.

If there’s a problem you can go back and just restore windows alone, or restore your dual boot. That’s what the system restore stick is for. A dedicated OS backup external hard drive is cheap. Saves a lot of time. Do an image backup as often as you want.

Heads up though, the backup utility in Win10 says its for Win7, but it works in Win10.
Gil Navarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:01 AM   #139
Mr. PC

XFCE + Arch ftw.

You can use Antergos for easy installs and setup of AUR.
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:01 AM   #140
zoso2

I'm running Linux Mint with the Cinnamon DE. Currently dual booting on my 2008 MacPro. I'm impressed that my firewire devices actually work right out of the box as 2 input/2 output devices without Jack or FFADO installed, I was expecting worse. Still lots of tinkering to do but pretty soon it seems I'll be able to make this a dedicated Mint machine.
zoso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:06 AM   #141
SmajjL

For flavours, just observed this https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-community/storage/ that does not show up on the official community flavours on the site, even got LXDE and LXQT if that might be of intrest for anyone to try a look-see on a live USB.

I went with KDE but this post reminded me that I have not given GNOME a fair chance of a look-see, it screams touchscreen (that I don't have) but I read it can be changed and one can install some tools, so now you know what I am up too atm, no clue what GNOME has to offer.. *fixing*

Old 08-28-2019, 06:43 AM   #142
SmajjL

Yo! doppel!

Well, I must say GNOME was better and more likeable then I thought, but the Manjaro people have make it so you have quick access to both ways, so I did not get so scared.
Just wondering, if I touch (that) mouse setting a tad inch, then i'm screwed because it does not have notches or any readout, guess it can be defaulted or tweaked with a commandline or something, app add on?.. anyway.. what evs for now..

KDE is not that, heavy, not the Manjaro one at least (this month) and does not a KDE app have more features/code in them and still, not that, far behind if at all on resources?
Maby there is more to it than just mem usage, Xfce actually feels snappier I must admit and I have tried to disable all KDE fancy effects..
So yeah that GNOME, if there is more to it and GNOME takes up more resources but utilize what its got better, dunno, but I am willing to try stuff and I only did a quickie safari run on GNOME, maby try install some of my stuff and just feel the thing for a while.. Xfce is stable as a rock though and the simple is attractive also. (speaking for myself)

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-28-2019 at 07:02 AM. Reason: It's Xfce, how about I spell SchmajjL wrong huh? :p
Old 08-28-2019, 07:10 AM   #143
KingPancake

I'll quickly chime in with something about the DEs.

I already mentioned (in another thread) that DEs like Mate, Xfce or LXDE are lightweight and solid enough for a lot of computers out there. KDE however is a very interesting beast.

The thing about KDE is that every new big version of it is usually unpolished, full of bugs and with certain usability problems that progressively get fixed down more and more. Kind of like GNOME3 is actually, the difference though is that the KDE Team did massive optimizations when it comes to memory, performance, etc. (as shown when they ported their DE to the Pinebook just recently)

So when someone says that KDE dukes it out recently with Xfce on terms of lightness, they are not joking, they really optimized that front very well recently and certain implementations of distros just make KDE look very good. However, the reason why I called it an interesting beast is because, despite its lightness, people still continue to see KDE as the heavyweight due to being the "leading" DE of the Qt toolkit, and also the fact that I believe it does requires some GPU or 3D acceleration in its part too? Its performance is good (specially as of recently) but that's why people's impressions of KDE might have lasted like that.

A DE is something you choose though, your own choice (Memory usage isn't also a good qualifier because mem usage relies on the total amount of CPU, RAM, GPU, etc. of the build you have + other calculations the kernel does. Saying that a DE consumes "x" amount of RAM doesn't really mean much unless is getting extremely high, in which case there might me what's called a memory leak there)
KingPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:36 AM   #144
SmajjL

Thanks for the chime!

Xfce has just got an update also, I think, hopefully that thing is still a rock and hopefully better I was thinking after by my read about KDE updates.
This is so Not boring, beeing a new Linux user (learning)

Old 08-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #145
SmajjL

And KDE has 3 different menu systems, I go for the more Windows like menu but cool they offer alternatives and you can always install the Papirus icons on that thing also if you feel like it.
GNOME users may be minor impressed with the dashbord menu but hey..

I obviously like KDE because I miss it already, I see it in the mirror *caught* good sign though because I would rather not DE-hopp also like a Tarzan..

And Manjaro team supports it and GNOME, Xfce, and KDE has really improved for sure, please don't brake it! and I think i'll stay away from the testing branch, i'm so sensitive.

--

So new installed KDE and updated doing nothing system monitor say 616 MiB, and opening FF to say this, 892 MiB. )

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-28-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:56 PM   #146
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
SmajjL.. excuse moi, a-hem.. did you n..

Hey you annoying little LoL, did you know I can edit you?

I have tried it now, not for me, 100% sure, now go away.
--

Here is the What's New in Xfce 4.14.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=9ABYlcmqQ-Q

Old 08-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #147
s wave

I loaded up linux mint 19 on a lenovo laptop a while back... and tje touch screen works flawless (thread here https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ighlight=touch)
Old 08-29-2019, 01:08 PM   #148
Peevy

Quote:
"Well hello "issues" how are you"...
So I have this rme-babyface-pro.conf that needs to go to /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets right? ok, then obviously I need root permissions and KDE have that via menu, thing is I have now suddenly 3 times after trying/doing that, got locked out pretty much as a root out of my own system! not even permission to log in... lol, 3 times and that stuff have worked before.. so I have re-installed, 3 times.. just because of this..

So now I am on Manjaro Xfce instead of KDE and doing the same thing, but with Thunar Root and that works! everything works.. does that mean this could be Plasma thing or what? no way im doing that again.. lol

So, not KDE for me atm, and I miss Widges and stuff so.. feel free to predict what I am up to..

---

So, Manjaro Cinnamon!
And ofc The, first thing I do Now is to do the root thing test and no problemo on Xfce and Cinnamon, bet Mate would be fine also..

Bonus material: Think Xfce 4.14 was at 500-summit MiBs and KDE 600-summit MiBs, when doing nada, (since there seem to be a MiB-championChips going on..

--

Oh, could just be the "what's it's name "thunar" of KDE that is messed up and not plasma.. or me, or, both..

Guess I could try the testing build to see if...
Replace the desktop manager?

I couldn't tell you exactly what your doing wrong but for a start I wouldn't change permissions via a file manager running as root. It's much better to do this kind of thing in a terminal. When it comes to doing anything in file system like changing permissions or editing a file the commandline's still the best way to do it & always backup the file before editing it so you can fall back to it of needed.

I'm no expert when it comes to the terminal but it's a big help if you learn just the basics like copy move/paste remove (although use remove with caution) change permissions, change directory, create a directory or file etc.

There's loads of great information on all of this on the net.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:24 PM   #149
SmajjL

Doh!* just removed all my ramble and thought.. but ok, hey!

Yeah, i'm looking up info about this right now, for now I thought that I am free to remove and pretty much install what ever else as a replacement I want that works, Nemo, Thunar and all that, what ever I like best, make my own distro? heh
I thougt the permission thing was one thing and that the terminal would speak to the same thing as the one on the menu? hmm

It has worked before though and I am used to that easy way, but I am a learning novice, but I like it even it it might sound the other way., i'm on it .sir! thanks for helping!

And yeah, I better learn This, because the consequences was humongous.

----

So I tried the menu-way on the manjaro-kde-18.1.0-rc8-testing-x86_64 and the ownership to active user worked but.. still.. mess things up, so, must learn Sudo or something..
--
Oops, forgot to update, was a 500MB one just waiting, and I must try see it i'm ok to install Nemo or Thunar that works on the other flavours, what are the menu thingies for, decoration? but yes yes.
--
Updated, tried using the Root Actions/Change Permissions of the folder instead, all good!
And tried Nemo, also all good, but with Cinnamon graphics..
So, all seems good and very updated with the testing build and I can opt out for the stable when I like I think.
--
SchmajjL, System Settings have a discrete menu on top with a link to System Settings Handbook.

K D E Plasma! <3

--

Eum, Dolphin > control > Configure Dolphin > Services > Download what evs..

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-30-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:16 AM   #150
SmajjL

You OK SchmajjL gen1? gen2 speaking
Looks like you made it, 100% Linux now, no dual boot, good job.
Just wish you could stop distrohopping.. *slap!*

I'm not a Gnome guy, but Manjaro Gnome have now 6 different extra menus and the mouse accel can be flat! just happen to be my whine of my last visit.

And also this new NX-Desktop and something called VMetal, Linux and Windows running at the same time kind'a thing using the iGPU and, GPU.
Not so penguini'sch but hey! more potential peeps to Linux is good
https://twitter.com/ManjaroLinux/sta...54187344646145

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-06-2020 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:04 AM   #151
Glennbo

I give you a week before you either go back to Windows or switch to another Linux distro!
Old 05-06-2020, 07:29 AM   #152
SmajjL

We have a skeptic people! get him! ps: *he is ticklish, don't hold back*
Windows nope, checking out distros & whats up, yup most likely, i need a nurse but but.. it's fun to check out new stuff

And yes, i know about the Windows May 28th update, nope i tell ya

--

And.. it is not yesterday i left lol
Manjaro KDE bleeding edge have behaved so far and i am so attracted to that Mint at the same time.. and now the Ubuntu Mate did a good job.. and even.. Gnome *sigh*
Do i reeeeeally need the bleeding edge if my computer is not spanking new?
It is not like you can not, visit Github or sites to get stuff you need also along with flatpak, snap, appimages, PPA and what have we, that AUR is spoilish though.

--

If one got all their (needs) stuff to work on Linux and let's say Windows is a Linux distro, would You go Windows distro? lol
Got a PC! now and lots of stuff to discover and i can tell Linux what to do/not to
Should never say never though, we shall see what we shall see

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-10-2020 at 02:45 AM. Reason: :)
Old 05-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #153
SmajjL

Distrowatch

"Following the release of Ubuntu Studio 20.04 the project's developers announced they would be switching their default desktop from Xfce to KDE Plasma. Ubuntu Studio is unusual in that it is a community flavour of Ubuntu whose purpose is not tied to a specific desktop environment, but rather focuses on making specific tasks easier. The team commented on the move to the Plasma desktop: "Future versions of Ubuntu Studio, beginning with 20.10, will be using the KDE Plasma Desktop Environment by default. Plasma has proven to have better tools for graphics artists and photographers, as can be seen in Gwenview, Krita, and even the file manager Dolphin. Additionally, it has Wacom tablet support better than any other desktop environment. It has become so good that the majority of the Ubuntu Studio team is now using Kubuntu with Ubuntu Studio added-on via Ubuntu Studio Installer as their daily driver. With so many of us using Plasma, the timing just seems right to focus on a transition to Plasma with our next release."

--

Edit:

So then why does not DisplayCal play along on Kubuntu, huh?
No problems to install on Ubuntu Mate for ex.. it is even in their Store.. &

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-14-2020 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:18 AM   #154
vitaminx

I'm a Linux user since 2 decades more or less, and I went through quite a few window managers, e.g. KDE, Gnome, Enlightenment, XFCE, Openbox, Awesome WM.

Over the years I increasingly got tired of moving and resizing windows manually and having my desktop cluttered with icons and big taskbars and whatnot. Not to speak of huge list of dependencies and sheer size of the big window managers.

Currently I settled with i3wm, which is a minimal tiling window manager.

I'm really happpy with it, it needed some initial configuration, which might be a bit hard for people who are not inclined to use the console, but now it just works - it totally gets out of the way and I just focus on what I actually want to do, e.g. making music.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:52 AM   #155
SmajjL

Wow! a 6th dan blackbelt penguin? welcome! i'm still on white, holding up my pants

Having some root actions in the menu built-in i am all for (need a password anyway) so if that would be missing in a DE then *sad panda* allthough i guess i could learn the terminal better some day
But this seems to be a thing now thank gawd, but not all has it yet.

My fav menu is Mate (Redmond option) after that plain old Xfce and i am used to Manjaro KDE (application Menu now, 150% scale with a tad downed fonts

Easy on the eyes as a Whole i like Mint Cinnamon and it does feel simple and consistent

If i would need Widgets stuff, Cinnamon also have just enough that i need, that i would actually.. use (today)

KDE is already light if you ask me, but i am on a "power PC" so i don't need to count megabytes, compared to what ever Windows is, Manjaro Gnome was after installation only 1 GB and Gnome is the most hungry? 1GB is light if you ask Windows

Then someone asked about tweaking shortcuts, KDE is vVvvery good at that although you also can on Cinnamon if your needs is simpler.

They say Cinnamon 4.6 is said to support fractional scaling, yes please.

KDE's audio volume settings have what i expect

Windows size will be remembered atleast on Manjaro KDE now when i OSB-it
And support split view and you can download custom services to KDE Dolphin.
No problem changeing places folders to something else, colo(u)r or what ever.

So today i will have a look at Awsome and i3 see what's app

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-14-2020 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:02 AM   #156
vitaminx

Quote:
So today i will have a look at Awsome and i3 see what's app
Awesome WM config is done in Lua and requires you to learn at least the basics of that language. It is actually quite nice and easy and a good language to learn first steps in programming. REAPER's ReaScript supports it too, so one more reason to look into that.

Also check out https://www.reddit.com/r/unixporn/ for some eye candy, tiling window managers like i3wm are popular there.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:15 AM   #157
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminx View Post
Awesome WM config is done in Lua and requires you to learn at least the basics of that language. It is actually quite nice and easy and a good language to learn first steps in programming. REAPER's ReaScript supports it too, so one more reason to look into that.

Also check out https://www.reddit.com/r/unixporn/ for some eye candy, tiling window managers like i3wm are popular there.
Ah-haa! oops, then Awsome might break the record in my fastest visit/have a look ever! ghehe i'm no programmer i'm sad to say, wish i was! and that i got code in my eye straight from birth, fraid not though

That - said, if this is the first step and maby the easy'est step in programming world then i am now super-curious! and that beats simple-curious
Thank you so much for the hint! i shall try! i'm fearless

As time goes by, i can actually overrule myself and tell myself what my needs are, what i do actually use, not totally ready though yet.
Kinda would like that the DE is active so we get candy regulary, eyes on it for bugs if that is security of importance.

Now off to try i3, *poff!*

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-14-2020 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:36 AM   #158
udaemon

talking about i3 I’m considering to take a second dive into sway: https://swaywm.org/ ...
udaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:54 AM   #159
lilith93

I'm really happy with xfce and / or openbox.
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:55 AM   #160
SmajjL

Testing Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix with both Cinnamenu/Main Menu, cinnamenu have listview And grid view, icons can be enlarged..
Installed Ubuntu Studio PPA with everything except, no low latency/realtime stuff, said no because for ALSA playback, all seems smooth without it, Kernels seems good enough now, i dunno, but "if it aint broke" kinda thing.
Cinnamenu's search seems drunk, but other then that, i might stay! aaaactually

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-17-2020 at 09:03 AM.