Old 10-18-2018, 08:37 AM   #321
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings

I can't read the image because it's so small, but I think it's asking you to find a .reascale file for it to use. There are should be a couple in Reaper/Data, and you can find more on stash.reaper.fm
Old 03-22-2019, 08:11 AM   #322
Ozman

Lokasenna, man I hate to bother you, but Theory Helper is the only tool I know that seems to read from the chosen reascale file.

Do you think you can at some point make some callable actions that allows one to select a chord and have it iterate through other diatonic chord types?

Example workflow:

- A chosen scale is being snapped to in the midi editor.
- A chord is selected in the MIDI editor.
- An action is triggered (e.g. through keyboard shortcut) to cycle through different chord types (same octave) that work in that scale.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #323
Lokasenna

Definitely a neat idea. I'll put it on my list, but I have almost no time for scripts these days.

Maybe should I pull out the ReaScale code from Theory Helper so it's easy to use from other scripts.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:34 AM   #324
hopi

EDIT again:

would it be perhaps better to be able to set the key inside the lua itself instead of using key snap in the ME?

such as C or G or whatever?

Then also... I'd like to see in the GUI, not just the letter of the various degrees of the scale [in the top row] but also
the designation of it, such as I II III IV V VI ... or 1st, 2nd, 3rd... etc.
Is that just me or would anyone else appreciate that?

Last edited by hopi; 03-27-2019 at 08:52 AM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:11 AM   #325
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
EDIT again:

would it be perhaps better to be able to set the key inside the lua itself instead of using key snap in the ME?

such as C or G or whatever?
Not at my Reaper machine, but doesn't it already have a setting in the Options tab for whether it should sync with Key Snap?

Quote:
Then also... I'd like to see in the GUI, not just the letter of the various degrees of the scale [in the top row] but also
the designation of it, such as I II III IV V VI ... or 1st, 2nd, 3rd... etc.
Is that just me or would anyone else appreciate that?
Another idea for my list.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:59 AM   #326
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Not at my Reaper machine, but doesn't it already have a setting in the Options tab for whether it should sync with Key Snap?

Another idea for my list.
yes it does have that sync to key snap... and with that I can set the key from the ME key snap... but what do I do without that? I don't find a way to set the key otherwise.... did I miss it?
Old 03-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #327
Lokasenna

Click on the big "C#".

It could definitely use some visual hinting that it's clickable.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:34 AM   #328
Ozman

Quote:
Maybe should I pull out the ReaScale code from Theory Helper so it's easy to use from other scripts.
Man that would would be great!
It would definitely make the various scale and chord tools that use it feel a lot more native.

Last edited by Ozman; 03-27-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #329
hopi

Quote:
Click on the big "C#".

It could definitely use some visual hinting that it's clickable.
OIC.... LoL well partly it was my error cuz I had the option Use MIDI editor's key snap checked... which [duh] takes away the ability to use the clk on the big C and the related scale... ah but NOW I know!!!
Thanks you Sir!

Now let me digress a bit.... Theory Helper is such a freakin' miracle script... and tons of fun... and yet I wonder if it can be even more fun...
What I'm wondering about mainly is the control of the settings for arp's...
so there are three... none, ascending and descending...
...and I find it a little tedious to keep going back to change these when inserting a lot of arp's.... Might it be possible to contol which one is active with a key mod? Maybe none by default and up with something and down with something else?
IF possible, IMO that would make writing the arps with many bars of short notes WAY more fluid.
Plz.... I'm not at all complaining.... I'm very grateful for this lua... I'm just wondering. %^)
Old 03-27-2019, 08:34 PM   #330
Lokasenna

Another one for the list, but definitely possible.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:23 PM   #331
hopi

Quote:
Nice then..... I do know you are a busy man lately but someday maybe who knows baby...
Old 07-27-2019, 07:54 AM   #332
talustalus

Quote:
Hi

This looks really handy. However, I can't get it to work properly I don't think.

I tried loading a .rescale file but it says, for example, 'no legal chords' in the Chords tab.

Which is the correct rescale file to use?

thank you very much for your effort
talustalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #333
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by talustalus View Post
Hi

This looks really handy. However, I can't get it to work properly I don't think.

I tried loading a .rescale file but it says, for example, 'no legal chords' in the Chords tab.
There are a number of good ones on stash.reaper.fm - I'd go with ZD-Basic if you don't want to be overwhelmed with choices.

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/8065/ZD-basic.reascale
Old 08-01-2019, 09:07 AM   #334
Ozman

Hi, Lokasenna.
Honestly, your diatonic transpose and duplication scripts coupled with custom reascales puts Reaper in a place leagues ahead of other DAWs in regards to editing midi which conforms to scale, which brings me back to the request I made earlier about iterating through diatonic/key-based chords.

Currently, my workflow for chord progression is simply start with a simple and slow melody which conforms to scale. I then, using your diatonic scripts, generate triads for all those notes.

I can then take them into EZKeys or Scaler, to audition various "colors" (extensions, inversions, substitutions, etc.).

Honestly, man, if you think of it, Chord Helper and/or some scripts (called by keyboard shortcuts) can easily iterate through chord alternatives as well.

I then wouldn't need to use do all the work around of sending the notes to a 3rd party workflow. It can all be done natively in Reaper.

---

Anyways, while considering the feasibility of such, maybe also consider adding a chord recognition/correction section to the Chord Theory tool.

1) Useful for Chord Iteration/Alteration:
- It can be used for specifying the selected chord and verifying that it follows the scale. The chord (root and chord type) can then be stored locally, in association to the item, and when that chord is re-selected, chord iteration can resume, always remembering the original root. Deleting that root, or transposing it could alter that cached info or remove it.

2) Useful for Chord Creation, Iteration, and Alteration.
- Having a note selected while in this section can show whether the note is in the chosen scale as well as its degree in relation to the key's tonic.
- Chords can then be created from the chosen note.
- If 2+ notes above one another is selected, Chord detection/correction can then be implemented on this tab.
- If 2+ notes are selected then this can be for possible future, progression tools. Like:
-------- Grading transitions (green - yellow - red) between chords
-------- Next and In-between chord suggestions, etc.

I know it's a bit much, but really though, such tools would make Reaper all that a guy like me needs for song writing.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:44 PM   #335
nait

This script should not be buried so far down the list. Just grabbed this yesterday, and this is fantastic. I've been using vanilla Reaper for a little while, so just starting to discover some of the work people have done to make it a better program, and I'm amazed something like this exists. Thanks for your remarkable work, Lokasenna!
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:09 AM   #336
ssbsts.1080

Default Note Length issue

Hi there

first off, what a great tool! thanks so much for time and effort thats been put into this!

I've stumbled across a problem with the note length when inputting into midi-editor. my project it in 3/4 and the generated note is always 4 4th long so always one beat longer that the bar. eventhough the grid and note settings in the midieditor are correct and work when directly inputting notes there. noticed the same issue when using ChordGun. am i missing something? i have tried giving the midi item its own time signature, but that also doesn't seem to work. any tips would be really welcome.
thanks so much and take care
Sascha
ssbsts.1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:50 AM   #337
Sid

Default What to do now?

Hi,
It looks like Lokasenna has decided to move away from this project. His work on this is amazing, and it would be a shame if it just died. Has anyone taken it over?
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #338
Sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbsts.1080 View Post
my project it in 3/4 and the generated note is always 4 4th long so always one beat longer that the bar.
Sascha
This is actually kind of an issue with music notation and Reaper. Notation has a "whole measure" rest, but no "whole measure" note. A whole note is always the length of 4 quarter notes. However, when setting the 3/4 midi grid to "1", Reaper sets to "1 whole measure" but then setting the notes to "grid", Reaper translates to "1 whole note" i.e. four quarter notes in length.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 02:06 PM   #339
Afanasyev

i downloaded and installed Lokaseena's theory helper a while ago and decided to give it a try. looks nice, but for some reason i can't hear any preview sounds of chords when i click on chord variants, but i can clearly see that midi signals are incoming. it also does not create midi notes when i cliclk and press shift. in other words, this script is seems to be malfunctioning in my case, because if i understood correctly, all of these should be working...
so what's the problem? maybe i missed something during the installation?..
thanks in advance!
Afanasyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:44 PM   #340
FearinLoathin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afanasyev View Post
i downloaded and installed Lokaseena's theory helper a while ago and decided to give it a try. looks nice, but for some reason i can't hear any preview sounds of chords when i click on chord variants, but i can clearly see that midi signals are incoming. it also does not create midi notes when i cliclk and press shift. in other words, this script is seems to be malfunctioning in my case, because if i understood correctly, all of these should be working...
so what's the problem? maybe i missed something during the installation?..
thanks in advance!
I might know the fix here... Do you havw the Virtual Midi Keyboard or "All Midi Inputs" as your Input Device? I think it only works if that is the setting. Some weird rule in the programming I think. Hope that helps!
FearinLoathin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:32 AM   #341
Afanasyev

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearinLoathin View Post
I might know the fix here... Do you havw the Virtual Midi Keyboard or "All Midi Inputs" as your Input Device? I think it only works if that is the setting. Some weird rule in the programming I think. Hope that helps!
thank you, but unfortunately this doesn't help
Afanasyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:51 AM   #342
Mavriq

The will really help with my workflow!

My setup is HiDpi so the script is really small on my monitor. Any way to make this scale? I have programming experience so even some direction on what to edit in the script would be good. I tried editing the font sizes but that didn't seem to have an effect.
Mavriq is offline   Reply With Quote