Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-14-2014, 04:19 AM   #1
KeithC
Human being with feelings

Default Total Newbie, the more I learn, the less I know

I have a powerful PC, decent monitors, a great keyboard as my current interface, but purchasing the 18i20 today, Reaper 64 bit installed, and have no earthly idea about whether I need to download all dynamic processing tools, ie Compression, EQ, Delays, yada yada, and FX, or if any of those are in Reaper already. I downloaded the User's Guide, and plan to order some tutorials from Kenny Giola, but every time I read the forums, I see so much I don't understand at all. I do have a background in old knob, fader, and Tape recording, but most of that I learned from recording five records, but also ran sound for many years. It's all the computer related stuff, and VSTs, VSTis, plugins, what I do, and don't need to do basic Classic rock style recording that I'm at a loss about. Is there an end all, newbie video, or literature that explains it all in layman's term? I struggle a bit time wise with all my musical projects because I am a business owner, but because of health issues, I may have a great deal of time. I just haven't got a clue where to start, as even searching the forum is hit or miss as to the search terms I should use for a given subject.

Example: I spoke that I'll be getting the 18i20 today, that will be my soundcard, right? And will the USB connection send, and receive both the audio, and Midi to, and from Reaper like my MX 61? I thought the interface would be a simple thing, but after looking at it, and reading all the connections off the box, I'm completely confused about how it actually works. And then there are drums, which are the only virtual instrument I plan on using, but will I need to purchase a bunch of FX plugins, and should I decide to use more VSTis, are there quality free ones, or will I be in an endless cycle of buying software? Sorry to go on so long, but I'm starting to wonder if 50 something is the right time to begin learning an entirely different recording process?
Peace, and many thanks for all the great help I've received thus far on this very peaceful, and seemingly egoless forum! KEITH
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:41 AM   #2
KeithC

Sorry for the bump, but one important question:
My PC is an HP, 700-210, has 16 gigs of RAM, a 2 TB 7200 RPM hdd, but will soon add a 256 gb ssd, 3.1 ghz, i5 quad core w/ turbo, and 12 usb ports, but only has integrated video, and audio. Will the Scarlett 18i20 preclude any need for a dedicated soundcard? My understanding was that it has a soundcard, and this leads back to my original post, and the USB connection issue. Because of injuries, and illness, I have missed more work than I've done this year, so BUDGET is my middle name!

Thanks yet again, Keith
Old 06-14-2014, 05:35 AM   #3
dr_pointsman

Sorry to hear about your health issues, I hope they resolve or at least don't impact things for you too much.

I'm pretty much a newbie as well but can give you my take.

First, in terms of your computer sound card, yes, you are correct that the 18i20 will "take over" and you should not need a dedicated sound card to record and process audio. Of course you will need to select the 18i20 as your audio interface in Reaper. Then you will need to hook in your MIDI keyboard/controller to the 18i20, turn it on and also select it in Reaper as your MIDI interface in order to record/play MIDI notes. I don't have MIDI-integrated audio interface so others might have more info here if needed, but setup should be pretty straightforward.

In terms of your recording process and how to work with plugins, that is a huge topic. You may get lots of differing opinions. I would recommend that you NOT buy anything until you get a sense of some of the best of the free options out there for audio processing, both within Reaper and elsewhere.

This thread has reviews/rundowns of lots of free VSTs, both in terms of virtual instruments and also FX processing:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=52382

And this epic thread, linked to everywhere, has probably the best discussion anywhere online about the recording process, how to streamline things, time management, getting good recordings on a budget, etc.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283

I highly recommend spending some time browsing those two threads if you haven't already.
dr_pointsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:52 AM   #4
Barksy

I am only roughly 2 years into reaper as my 1st DAW, and logging on to this forum each day after work (Aust time, so everyone else is generally in bed) so I read through the threads that have been added to for the day while i was sleeping or at work, and have learnt lots over the 2 years.

Bookmark the threads that you know you will need to remember at a later date.

Yes, get Kenny's videos now! There is not one person here that will tell you that in your position these would not be worthwhile.

Try and learn from trial and error. If no progress, this site provide enormous support from so many people. Ask 'How do I..' questions rather than ask for opinions though! Soon you will be helping people too.

Grabbing some freebie VST's is a great idea to start with before buying stuff. Installations are generally the same, click exe file and follow prompts, or simply place DLL file in your VST folder. But don't waste a lot of time searching for the next neatest VST. It get's addictive and uses up a lot of time, and your music is the neatest thing of all and needs your time.
Barksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:28 AM   #5
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC View Post
I have a powerful PC, decent monitors, a great keyboard as my current interface, but purchasing the 18i20 today, Reaper 64 bit installed, and have no earthly idea about whether I need to download all dynamic processing tools, ie Compression, EQ, Delays, yada yada, and FX, or if any of those are in Reaper already. I downloaded the User's Guide, and plan to order some tutorials from Kenny Giola, but every time I read the forums, I see so much I don't understand at all. I do have a background in old knob, fader, and Tape recording, but most of that I learned from recording five records, but also ran sound for many years. It's all the computer related stuff, and VSTs, VSTis, plugins, what I do, and don't need to do basic Classic rock style recording that I'm at a loss about. Is there an end all, newbie video, or literature that explains it all in layman's term? I struggle a bit time wise with all my musical projects because I am a business owner, but because of health issues, I may have a great deal of time. I just haven't got a clue where to start, as even searching the forum is hit or miss as to the search terms I should use for a given subject.

Example: I spoke that I'll be getting the 18i20 today, that will be my soundcard, right? And will the USB connection send, and receive both the audio, and Midi to, and from Reaper like my MX 61? I thought the interface would be a simple thing, but after looking at it, and reading all the connections off the box, I'm completely confused about how it actually works. And then there are drums, which are the only virtual instrument I plan on using, but will I need to purchase a bunch of FX plugins, and should I decide to use more VSTis, are there quality free ones, or will I be in an endless cycle of buying software? Sorry to go on so long, but I'm starting to wonder if 50 something is the right time to begin learning an entirely different recording process?
Peace, and many thanks for all the great help I've received thus far on this very peaceful, and seemingly egoless forum! KEITH
Welcome to Reaperland and DAWs Keith!
See sig for a start
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #6
hopi

50 ish is a great time to begin reaper and\or almost anything...

oh, but it's a lousy time to begin being 20.... hahaha

You should do very nicely with what you have for starters...

there are many very good free vst and vsti's that will get you into the game...

and then you can later decide about IF and WHAT you might also want to purchase...

suggestion... go slowly, one step [problem] at a time... you should get the drift in a week or two and then begin to have more fun.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:29 AM   #7
jiff 41

I'm 63 now & come from a background of pro studios for band recording (Rockfeid) & a revox A77 for home recording!.
And it wasn't untill June 2012 (never touched a PC before!)that I downloaded reaper & signed up here to ask "how do I get this working?" & I've got all the help I needed, I'm still no expert by any standard,there's a long way to go yet but at least when I talk to my friends that do recording online & off I'm not left out thru not understanding & if you don't know how to do something,somebody here will help, just ask!

So I say 50 is young!!
Old 06-15-2014, 06:08 AM   #8
KeithC

Wow! Thanks alot guys, I thought I'd subscribed for instant notification for this thread, but must have screwed up, and was starting to think no one had answered! Much to my surprise, you guys helped immensely!

Peace be with you all, and all you love, Keith
Old 06-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #9
KeithC

Here's one question that I probably should ask before I set anything up. My PC is 64bit, but I see most people using 32, and since when I downloaded Reaper, I didn't choose, but let everything go to default locations, should I reinstall the 32 bit version, and wait until I install my ssd, so when I reinstall, I can put all the Reaper files, and only my music software in dedicated folders on the 256gig ssd? Is 64 bit less stable? Or, is it just unnecessary to go higher than 32 bit, since CDs are only, correct me if this is wrong, 16bit /24khz?

Thanks, Keith
Old 06-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #10
jiff 41

Hi Keith
You don't have to worry about that ATM you can have 32 and 64 installed at tha same time & use whichever a lot of peeps still use XP (very, I mean VERY popular for music recording!) & that's why they still use 32bit.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #11
hopi

reaper has two ways to install... normal and portable

in the portable way [see check box on the installer] nothing goes to the app data system folders... EVERYTHING goes to the folder location and name that you enter.
About the only thing you don't get with the portable way is ReWire, so if that is important to you do the normal way.
I do both.
...both in 64 bit, the main at the default for C drive, the portable into D:\Reaper 64 Portable...

...and also do a portable for the 32 bit version on E drive, just in case I need to check if something works in 32 and not in 64.

64 bit is 'the way to go' IMO.... and ...LoL I'm old enuff to be yer daddy!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #12
KeithC

Well, I'm not quite sure what I downloaded, I downloaded the 64bit version from the Reaper home site, and I think it all went to the default locations windows 8.1 chose. I'm not very computer saavy, and 8.1 has left me totally in the dark coming from XP. So, I guess when I install the ssd, I'll just read up on how to move all the files to dedicated folders. Weird thing I've noticed about this PC, HP ships with Cyberlink power DVD as the default video, and music player, and my DVD is listed as drive E:. I guess the ssd will be F:? I'm more lost now, than when I started the thread, but mostly about the files, and locations, I only downloaded 4.6 64 bit, and the User's guide, and when I open Reaper, and add a track, and look for VSTs, there doesn't seem to be anything available, do I have files in all the downloaded file extentions that have the native Reaper plugins, or do I need to download additional stuff? I'm sorry, I just haven't had any time to mess with it until this coming week, so I just am utterly lost where to start. I did check out the guide that the first gentleman posted for Reaper newbies, and that looks like it will help, but I think I need 8.1 for dumbasses to figure it all out. I used to be the guy who hooked up everyone's stereos, and Tvs, VCRs, etc. Now I feel like an idiot!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
DarkStar

Slow down, breath deeply and relax .....

------------------------------------
Reaper comes with a few VST instruments, several VST effects and a load of JS FX. They are all installed by the Reaper installer.

For all other VST(i)s you will need to get them, download them, install them and tell Reaper where they are.

But first, create your own folders for the plug-ins. On Windows 7, many people have 2 (one for 64-bit plug-ins and one for 32-bit plugins), such as
C:\VST\32-bit
and
C:\VST\64-bit
I imagine that a similar folders could be used on Windows 8.

First thing to do is decide what sort of plug-ins you want to start with. And to do that consider what you have so far in terms of gear and what you want to do. That will help you decide what is missing. Some orchestral libraries? Virtual drum kits? Compressors? EQs? etc etc

It might help if you imagine you are sat in a studio and are deciding what to do next with your songs.

Don't try to get everything at once. You will only regret it.

Once you have decided what you want to do next we can point you towards possible products. Ranging from free ones to ones costing hundreds of $.

For some more reading, some of these Computer Music Specials could be useful:
http://gb.zinio.com/www/browse/back-...r=&categoryId=

Last edited by DarkStar; 06-15-2014 at 09:50 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #14
KeithC

Ah, Darkstar, always the voice of reason, when I'm getting ready to lose it. I think I've been working too hard, and still haven't fully recoverd from that concussion/ broken neck vertebrae. Thanks, I thonk the take a breath idea is a very good idea! Seriously, thanks to all of you. I think I find things a lot better when I'm actually sitting in front of the computer, so I'll take that breath, and re-read your posts with the computer on!
Peace Y'all, Keith
Old 06-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #15
Brookwood

Greetings from another relative Reaper noob. As far as Signal Processing VSTs go (instruments are another story) Reaper has as many plug-ins as you are likely to need. They don'y look like much without the expensive 3D rendered GUIs but they are super light on the CPU and sound fantastic. Stop the madness!You can (and probably will) spend thou$ands on plugins that will be less than or equal the ones provided "free", any one of which with a schmancy facade would cost more than the personal license of the entire DAW. (Take it from someone who has two Waves ADB dongles in a drawer somewhere!)Bonus: you will tweak less and use your ears more.
Cheers-
Brookwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #16
tut

I would just like to 2nd(3rd?,4th?) the Kenny Gioia tutorials idea. It is hard to explain just how much it helps to have someone walk you through something completely unfamiliar, step by step, in plain spoken English.(Class, no snickering.) Just a couple days ago I signed up for the Groove3 "All-Access Pass" so that I can watch the rest of the videos that I have not purchased already. They have a deal going right now that gives you access to all the tutorials on their sight for a year for 100 bucks. It seems steep, but they have tutorials on literally every part of the computer music-making process. I know serious head injuries can be very frustrating from an information retention perspective. The beauty of having a teacher on video is you can have them repeat something as many times as you like.(Man, I wish I had a rewind button when I was in school, haha.) Things may seem a little blurry right now, but soon enough you will be in the swing of things. Relax and enjoy the ride!
tut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:01 AM   #17
hopi

"the more I learn, the less I know, and the more I need to learn"...

ummmm.... this is not gonna work well is it? it's not even logical, nor true...
perhaps along with that deep breath, re-write this story that you are telling your self...

suggestions:

learn a little bit, consider it, digest, rest up, do that again...
drop by drop will fill the bucket...
Old 06-16-2014, 01:12 AM   #18
KeithC

Another Day, Another 50¢„ 4 am, time to get up. Well, I did manage to pull the trigger on my Focusrite 18i20 yesterday, so I'm basically a good Vocal mike, and figuring out how to get to the plugins that are installed by Reaper, away from recording! I can get any orchestral stuff I'd use from my MX 61, just probably will be needing some drum tracks, and a sequencer. And a LOT more reading!
Thanks guys, KC
Old 06-16-2014, 01:24 AM   #19
KeithC

No Hopi, that title was at a very frustrated moment. Of course the more I learn, the more I know, but it just gets deeper, and as yet I've only scrathed the surface. I'm actually good at retaining info, but did have a nasty concussion a little over a month ago, so I did have a few weeks that I couldn't see well enough to read more than a few sentences, but that's pretty much history. I think more free time, and like you, and Darkstar have said, take it step by step, and when I get stuck, go to my resources, and search, or ask for specific answers to issues I don't understand. I'm not a defeatest, and haven't found anything I can't learn,( except 7th grade Algebra!), haha!
Once again I thank all of you for your kind help, Peace, KC
Old 06-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #20
hopi

good!

so hey, here is a very helpful link:

https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=0...08:nbhva-j9iic

it is a special google search for the reaper forum... it is much better IMO than trying to search directly in the forum...

Most likely the questions you will have, have been asked before and that link can help you find those threads on the forum.

you WILL get there!
Old 06-16-2014, 08:20 AM   #21
KeithC

Thanks Hopi, I'll definitely use the link! I have a friend named Sean Hopi, who goes by Hopi. At first I thought you might be him, but he's a few years younger than I, so I guess you aren't in RVA, and aren't him!
Thanks a bunch, Keith
Old 06-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #22
Brookwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
"the more I learn, the less I [think I] know, and the more I need to learn"...
It's called the Dunning -Kruger effect: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect
In short, smart, competent people understand how much they don't know, so they underestimate their competence, while others who don't have the competence to adequately assess their skills think they know everything. I think that's part of the reason I was so much "smarter" when I was seventeen!
If it makes you feel any better KeithC, AFAIK I have not suffered a concussion, but after nearly thirty days of my Reaper demo, although I have made progress, I still have not found a reliable way to navigate around my session. Am I just a dope? Or perhaps Reaper has a steep learning curve? Or both?
Brookwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #23
KeithC

Well, I'd say by the litterate nature of your post, it's the learnimg curve, you're obviously no dummie!
Cheers, KC
Old 06-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #24
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookwood View Post
It's called the Dunning -Kruger effect: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect
In short, smart, competent people understand how much they don't know, so they underestimate their competence, while others who don't have the competence to adequately assess their skills think they know everything. I think that's part of the reason I was so much "smarter" when I was seventeen!
If it makes you feel any better KeithC, AFAIK I have not suffered a concussion, but after nearly thirty days of my Reaper demo, although I have made progress, I still have not found a reliable way to navigate around my session. Am I just a dope? Or perhaps Reaper has a steep learning curve? Or both?
True.
Admitting how little you know is the best start you can give yourself. On the contrary I've met a few people believing they knew it all, and of course, they would have a very hard time to make progress, if any.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #25
KeithC

And G-Sun, yoir guide is going to help me tremendously. Both you and Brookwood have hit the nail on the head as to a big problem I've found on other forums, but thankfully not so much on this one. Too many people who know EVERYTHING, but never seem to give an answer, other than critisising those who know little, but are working at knowing more. I far prefer admitting what I don't know to spouting what I think I know! I will never know it all, but with so many helpful folks like those who have responded to this thread, I will eventually know enough for doing what I desire, but I know it's going to take a lot of work, but that's okay too.

Peace Y'all, Keith
Old 06-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #26
hopi

KC here's a thought:

I know you said a lot in your first post, and yet...

how about you break it down, by the numbers... I mean like so:

What I want to be able to do:
1-hook up my audio card and reaper
2-record an audio track by a mic
3-record a midi track that plays via a VSTi

etc, etc.
I think this might be both helpful to your own mind as well as provide clear steps that people here can give you step by step guides.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:21 AM   #27
KeithC

That's a great idea Hopi, I'll follow that advice. I'm going to hook up the 18i20, and downlaod it's software today, which I've heard has a bit of a learning curve for it's mixcontrol routing software itself, but it also has Reaper friendly plugin Compression, EQ, Reverb, A mono Bass program, and a gig of loops. The main thing I want to do now, is get all my Reaper files in order, and explore what's in them, as far as dynamic processing, and FX. I think knowing what's actually in there, that I haven't seen, or haven't dropped from the files into their places in Reaper, would answer alot of questions.
Thanks for hanging with me, and this thread, Keith
Old 06-17-2014, 02:36 AM   #28
G-Sun

Quote:
And G-Sun, yoir guide is going to help me tremendously.
Thanks. Good to hear.

btw: With your background you do know a lot relevant to operating a DAW. A lot of people come in here with far less competence
Old 06-17-2014, 02:55 AM   #29
KeithC

My biggest issue has turned out to be my own fear of the NEW way of doing things. I went into my downloads, and saw reaper install, but that only tried to install it again,( this was five minutes ago), so I loaded Reaper, and hit view, read the list, hit FX browser, and Voila, I now know where all the Reaper, and JS plugins are! One more thing down, and if everything on that list is indeed installed, looks like I have almost every effect I'd need for now, but now I do have a question, what are DX, and DXi, which are both empty? I guess I should go through all the drop down menus, and actually read them, huh? I've had Reaper installed for 29 days, and have only logged in about four times, just looked at it, and turned it off because I was a bit intimidated, but I downloaded it in the middle of the concussion debacle. I think a bit of trial and error, and I'll be just fine!

Thanks, now I will have specific questions, but I'm at least thinking right now! PEACE TO ALL
Old 06-17-2014, 04:17 AM   #30
DarkStar

"DX, and DXi" are DirectSound FX and instruments. Don't worry about them. You won't need them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX_plugin
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=49748

DON'T try to look through everything.

Pick one task that you want to do (what you you do in a studio) and focus on that. You will discover the parts of Reaper that you need. Thne you can move onto the next task.

"And so on."
Old 06-17-2014, 04:29 AM   #31
KeithC

Thanks DarkStar, do you give out your name? I just sometimes feel odd using screen names! Anyway, yes, I'll do as you suggest, one step at a time, and when I get stuck, I'll search my resources, and if I can't find it, I'll ask a direct question, about a specific issue. I think my brain is kicking back into 100% of it's ability. I've even stopped stuttering, losing words, and my vision has completely cleared up! I think it will make learning the process much easier now.
As usual, thank you DS, and all you cats. I feel privileged to have so many nice folks helping me out.
Peace, Keith
Old 06-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #32
jerome_oneil

The best part of recording is that the more you know, the more there is to learn. Anyone that says they know it all is lying to you.

There are some folks here that know a metric ton, though, and should be listened too whenever they speak. Yep, for example, is probably as close to a guy that knows everything as you'll find.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #33
KeithC

Thanks Jerome, I will be fine with all the helpnyou guys are willing to give
Peace, KC
Old 06-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #34
G-Sun

Quote:
My biggest issue has turned out to be my own fear of the NEW way of doing things.
One big misconception is that mental abilities are the major factor in learning.
Emotions and will are the ones that decides if it's break or throttle

Last edited by G-Sun; 06-17-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #35
KeithC

Well, I'm throttling up now, but I did have the brakes pushed hard until I started getting the replies in this thread!
I'll just move in baby steps, but I'll get there!

Cheers!
Old 06-18-2014, 03:04 AM   #36
KeithC

Here's another specific question, I feel like it may help alot when I do get stuck: How do you send a screen shot? I am such a un PC guy,( in more ways than one, LOL!).
Peace, Keith
Old 06-18-2014, 03:12 AM   #37
DarkStar

Have a look at post #2 here: How to: post screenshots
Old 06-18-2014, 03:28 AM   #38
KeithC

Thanks DS, don't know why my search term didn't pull that up? But I got it, and it should be a big help, although I don't have any graphics editing programs, I may have paint, every PC running windows I've seen has paint, but HP, and 8.1, who knows what is, and isn't on the thing. I've had it up and running 2 months, and I'm still finding really unnecessary stuff, and deleting it, and yet nothing in all the bloatware I had on this thing has a media program that will ff, or Rw a single track on a CD? That's an extra in both Cyberlink, and the latest version of nedia player. So I have a live CD of my old band, that shows up as a single track, but I cannot break it inro individual songs. Maybe I could do it on my old Dell because I had Nero, but I swear I was doing it in Media player? Oh well, thanks for the link!
Peace, and Worldwide harmony through music, it has the power to change the World! KEITH
Old 06-18-2014, 06:51 AM   #39
hopi

Keith

spend 20 bucks on this and live happily ever after...

http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm

probably my most used every day tool..

that and *************** will get ya set to post anything..

of course there is LICECap from reaper for capturing animated gif's..also handy if you need to show something in action.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:02 AM   #40
KeithC

Thanks Hopi, looks like it does the screen shots, and alot more!

Thanks, KC