Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-26-2019, 03:51 AM   #1
Reabert
Human being with feelings

Default Latency cannot be turned off

Hi!

I'm relatively new to Reaper and come from Logic and Pro Tools.
I want to play and record guitar with a software amp via software monitoring. Unfortunately I get a massive latency. Under preferences "request block size" I have already set it to 64, but it don't change anything. No matter which block size I set, the latency remains the same. Obviously I overlooked something here or do something fundamentally wrong. In Pro Tools and Logic this was never a problem, so it shouldn't be a problem in Reaper. Who can help me?

I am running Mac OS 10.13.6 (high Sierra) with a Fireface 800 and the latest Reaper version.

Thanks in advance.
Reabert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
Stella645

Check that your interface is using the buffer size requested within its own software.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
Reabert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Check that your interface is using the buffer size requested within its own software.
In the RME-software you can't adjust buffer size. It is always set to what the DAW is using. I can only adjust sample rate. And why would I need to do it in the interface-software. I never needed this in any DAW I've used over the years (Logic, PT, Nuendo, S1, ...).
Old 05-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #4
Reabert

Solved. My mistake! I had Reaverb in a track, on bypass and muted but that caused the latency. *facepalm
Old 05-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reabert View Post
In the RME-software you can't adjust buffer size. It is always set to what the DAW is using. I can only adjust sample rate. And why would I need to do it in the interface-software. I never needed this in any DAW I've used over the years (Logic, PT, Nuendo, S1, ...).
You can in all the RME devices I happen to own.

Which RME do you have? I have three of their devices and all allow changing the buffer in the driver CP as show below. For some reason setting the buffer in Reaper has zero effect on the RME devices specifically (Of the ones I've used) so you must set it in the RME driver Control Panel.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #6
Reabert

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
You can in all the RME devices I happen to own.

[/IMG]
Not in MacOS, on MAC the DAW is determining the buffersize.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:27 AM   #7
serr

If you're interested...

If you use a plugin with a higher inherent latency than the block size you set for the system, Reaper adds additional blocks of latency to keep everything in sync. And that's how you "break" your latency setting with a plugin like that.

To use a 3rd party control panel (like the proprietary RME control panel) to control the sample rate or block size on a Mac, untick the box next to either parameter on the Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page to disable control from Reaper.

SOP is to control sample rate and block size from the DAW control panel. Only turn to OS audio utilities or 3rd party control panels if a particular device requires it or there's some other faux pas forcing the issue. Reaper being Reaper has your back with the options to do just that.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #8
Reabert

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
If you're interested...

If you use a plugin with a higher inherent latency than the block size you set for the system, Reaper adds additional blocks of latency to keep everything in sync. And that's how you "break" your latency setting with a plugin like that.

To use a 3rd party control panel (like the proprietary RME control panel) to control the sample rate or block size on a Mac, untick the box next to either parameter on the Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page to disable control from Reaper.

SOP is to control sample rate and block size from the DAW control panel. Only turn to OS audio utilities or 3rd party control panels if a particular device requires it or there's some other faux pas forcing the issue. Reaper being Reaper has your back with the options to do just that.

Great, thank you very much!