Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 04-19-2016, 04:11 PM   #41
Klinke
Human being with feelings

Default v0.8.3.3 update

I just updated the extension to v0.8.3.3

This update fixes the problem that under some circumstances (loading projects after opening the Track Settings Editor or working with project tabs) the Track Setting where gone.

Here is the link to the updated archiv:
https://bitbucket.org/Klinkenstecker...mcu_klinke.zip
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:22 AM   #42
nofish

Thanks Klinke.

Will check it out, though I never experienced this problem here so far.

Btw., didn't get around to report it yet, but recently I came across something with your extension regarding touch automation, It seems that the behaviour (for non-touch sensitive devices like my BCR2000) has changed due to some changes in Reaper's automation.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...11&postcount=4

In short, when I use touch automation in recent Reaper versions with your plugin, it doesn't hold the current value anymore (like it used to in 4.78) but always jumps back to default value (enabling fake fader touch doesn't help).

I used v0.8.3 in that screencapture (will test with v0.8.3.3 also).

This might be changes in Reaper relevant for this:

Quote:
v5.0 - August 12 2015
+ Automation: increased automation recording speed by 3x
+ Automation: internal changes and performance improvements to FX parameter automation
No showstopper for me, as I use 'latch' mode mostly instead of touch and there it works fine, just wanted to report anyway.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:54 PM   #43
flipotto

Default I like the peakhold on the meters. Mute track 2 prob...

I just got this going today, with most recent version.
30 on the refresh is nice.
I like the meters with the 0 peak hold on the mcu pro
They might have been there before, but I like them.
Any way to adjust how long the peak hold is?

Track 2 mute not functioning as intended.
Mackie Universal Pro
Reaper 5.18
Mute does not seem to function. It takes multiple presses to make the mute button light.

Might be my button... midi ox requires firmer button press to result in note sending...
Anyone know what button to replace the mute with?
Part number or acceptable substitute?
Thanks.
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:35 AM   #44
ulfh

Default osx?

this looks very nifty; have you approached reaper devs to take on this instead of their mackie control surface stuff? seeing as your support for mackie control emulation is more complete...

also, just got a mac so I'm of course wondering if an OSX port is reasonable or not, or is there anything super windows specific in the codebase?
ulfh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:48 AM   #45
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Btw., didn't get around to report it yet, but recently I came across something with your extension regarding touch automation, It seems that the behaviour (for non-touch sensitive devices like my BCR2000) has changed due to some changes in Reaper's automation.
I'm surprised that touch automation works in 4.78, because I found an entry in the Issue tracker from Januar 2014 which the title "Touch automation with fake fader touch doesn't work".
Old 05-01-2016, 07:08 AM   #46
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfh View Post
this looks very nifty; have you approached reaper devs to take on this instead of their mackie control surface stuff? seeing as your support for mackie control emulation is more complete...

also, just got a mac so I'm of course wondering if an OSX port is reasonable or not, or is there anything super windows specific in the codebase?
I had sometimes contact with the reaper devs, they are really helpful when I needed some advice from them. But we never talked about adding the extension to the Reaper installer, but even I do think that this is not a good idea (e.g. I use the JUCE library and therefore the UI doesn't fit into the Reaper UI).

The codebase doesn't have a lot of window specific parts, but when I tried to do a Mac port I had already a lot of problems to create a XCode project. So I think it's reasonable to do the OSX port, but it must be done by someone who has more experience with OSX development for Reaper extensions than I have.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:11 PM   #47
timboid

I found that I can't write Send automation, only Trim works in Send page. I tested both BCF-2000 and Humatic TouchDAW. Is it a known issue?
timboid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:07 AM   #48
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboid View Post
I found that I can't write Send automation, only Trim works in Send page. I tested both BCF-2000 and Humatic TouchDAW. Is it a known issue?
Yep, see e.g. http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=40
Old 05-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #49
Tristan Young

Default Possibility for others to help improve Klinke MCU

Hello!

I recently bought a Behringer x-touch controller (lovely unit), and consequently became a user of Klinke's MCU.

Thank you for producing this extension. It's a shame Reaper doesn't have native support for these controllers, but it's wonderful someone such as yourself took the time to develop one.

I understand for the immediate future only bugfixes will be released.

I hope you don't find this out of line, I'm just curious... Have you thought of open-sourcing this so others can contribute, bugfix, maybe even re-write it to use Reaper's windowing? I'm sure someone with some spare time wouldn't mind looking at porting it for Mac users.
Tristan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #50
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Young View Post
I hope you don't find this out of line, I'm just curious... Have you thought of open-sourcing this so others can contribute, bugfix, maybe even re-write it to use Reaper's windowing? I'm sure someone with some spare time wouldn't mind looking at porting it for Mac users.
It's Open Source, the download page of the extension is part of the Source Code repository, you can view the Source Code itself here:

https://bitbucket.org/Klinkenstecker...e_mcu/overview

Or clone the git repository:

git@bitbucket.org:Klinkenstecker/csurf_klinke_mcu.git
Old 05-09-2016, 08:43 PM   #51
Tristan Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinke View Post
It's Open Source, the download page of the extension is part of the Source Code repository, you can view the Source Code itself here:

https://bitbucket.org/Klinkenstecker...e_mcu/overview

Or clone the git repository:

git@bitbucket.org:Klinkenstecker/csurf_klinke_mcu.git
Cool. I'm going to take a look.

I haven't coded in a great many years, so I can't promise any changes. As I really get into using my x-touch, something is bound to crop up.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #52
Klinke

Default v0.8.3.4 Update

I have uploaded a new version (0.8.3.4) to bitbucket: https://bitbucket.org/Klinkenstecker...mcu_klinke.zip

In this release several bugs are fixed:
- "Folder view inc parent" setting does not count the folder track when calculating the bank pagination (#15)
- Reduced XML output (to project file) (#21)
- Support of RUDE SOLO led (#13)
- Move to root when return from folder mode to flat mode (#20)
- Freezes when all 8 channel stripes are used as anchors (#5)
Old 07-02-2016, 10:07 PM   #53
Tristan Young

Default LED lights - rational

Hello!

I noticed when Reaper is stopped, the STOP button LED does not illuminate. The PLAY button LED illuminates when playing. If I press PLAY while it's playing, it pauses playback and the STOP LED illuminates.

Would it not be better to have the LED's work like this:

STOP - STOP LED illuminates solid.
PLAY - PLAY LED illuminates solid.
PAUSE - PLAY LED blinks, signifying it's paused and needs to be pressed to unpause.

I also noticed the FFW/FRW buttons don't illuminate at all while being pressed.

In the lower lighting environment of my studio, it would be nice to have at least one of these LED's illuminated at all times, either a solid light or a blinking light. This way I can easily see where the transport controls are, and press the correct button based on the color and solid/blink status.

It seems like the LED's in the transport panel aren't being fully utilized.

So naturally, I'm curious about the rationale behind it.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:31 AM   #54
fael097

hey, I'm trying to control reaper from my yamaha 01v96i via klinke, but I'm struggling. some dude reported he did it, but it was a post from 2 or 3 years ago, and nobody else reported anything.

I see that the yamaha receives midi inputs when I installed klinke and enabled it on reaper, but I don't know how to configure the mixer as a controller from the remote layer, it doesn't do anything.

anyone knows how to do so?
thanks
fael097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:48 PM   #55
buddhajuke

Quote:
I'm sure someone with some spare time wouldn't mind looking at porting it for Mac users.
Is that what you are working on now Tristan?
buddhajuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:44 AM   #56
SEA

Quote:
Hello!

I noticed when Reaper is stopped, the STOP button LED does not illuminate. The PLAY button LED illuminates when playing. If I press PLAY while it's playing, it pauses playback and the STOP LED illuminates.

PAUSE - PLAY LED blinks, signifying it's paused and needs to be pressed to unpause.

In the lower lighting environment of my studio, it would be nice to have at least one of these LED's illuminated at all times, either a solid light or a blinking light. This way I can easily see where the transport controls are, and press the correct button based on the color and solid/blink status.

What controller are you using? I have the Novation SL MK II (25 key) coming today and the X TOUCH coming next week to test.

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:50 AM   #57
SEA

Quote:
I have uploaded a new version (0.8.3.4) to bitbucket: https://bitbucket.org/Klinkenstecker...mcu_klinke.zip

In this release several bugs are fixed:
- "Folder view inc parent" setting does not count the folder track when calculating the bank pagination (#15)
- Reduced XML output (to project file) (#21)
- Support of RUDE SOLO led (#13)
- Move to root when return from folder mode to flat mode (#20)
- Freezes when all 8 channel stripes are used as anchors (#5)
How do I know which version I have? I just downloaded everything from your original link from your first post.

When I right click on the .dll it says "Date Modified 5/25/2016" so I assume this is the latest version correct?

Also, I have the Novation MK II and the X TOUCH coming. Novation uses Automap 4.10. Will these 2 units work together or will their be conflicts? I can also
plan on plugging in 1 unit at a time (for now) since I'm not setup for having both.

Thanks and will donate once I test everything out!

Thanks Klinke for all you do!

Old 08-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #58
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieBear View Post
Well hello again all you X Touch fans!

OK so my new unit arrived from Thoman today and I have it installed

I also got an email back from them saying they had recieved my old returned unit and there was no fault found!!!

Well, I have to agree! When I plugged into my PC (WinXP) no response from from the unit at all so after removing all the control surfaces from REAPER and going into MIDI device settings I think I see the problem

When the X Touch first installs it does the usual new device found routine and reports device installed correctly and ready for use BUT! It actually installs two instances of the driver labeled USB Audio Device (2) and guess what, they are both labeled as Audio Device (2) but they do not appear to be the same

After trying evey which way round in the MIDI sttings box I finally got it work - Yippee!

In the MIDI Device settings the mode is <disabled> In both the MIDI input box and the MIDI output box

This setting also appears to work on the FaderPort which I have working quite happily alongside the X Touch

Has anyone else come across this naming issue?

Cheers
Anton
Hey BoogieBear! I just ordered the X Touch and looking forward to getting it working as well.

Have you found everything working with the X TOUCH in Klinke's latest build?

If not, what's missing and what's the work-a-round? (if any)

Any tips would be awesome!

Old 08-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #59
Klinke

Quote:
Hello!

Sorry, I have overseen this post till know.
The rationale from me side: It just was already implemented in this way in the original MCU source code.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:59 PM   #60
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
When I right click on the .dll it says "Date Modified 5/25/2016" so I assume this is the latest version correct?

Also, I have the Novation MK II and the X TOUCH coming. Novation uses Automap 4.10. Will these 2 units work together or will their be conflicts? I can also
plan on plugging in 1 unit at a time (for now) since I'm not setup for having both.
When you add the csurf extension, the version is also shown in the Control Surface dialog. But yes, the version from 5/25/2016 is the latest version.

And I don't expect any problems when you use the Novation MK II at the same time then my extension, but I have never tried that.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #61
OttoPus

Hello Klinke, I just installed the lastest version of the plugin with the lastest version of Reaper (5.24 64 bit) with a QCon Icon, and the control surface lost the "follow track selection" function.

In past versions, when I selected a track in Reaper, the control surface automatically did bank through the faders until it reached the selected track.

Now it only lights up the "Sel" buttons, but I have to manually bank to find the track in the control surface.

Is there any way to make it turn back to the old behaviour? Thank you very much!
OttoPus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:10 AM   #62
Klinke

This can be changed by the "Follow Reaper" Option, that you can adjust with the VPots when you press Shift and Option buttons at the same time. See also section 7.1.7 in the manual.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #63
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
My apologizes for the long winded newb question....

EDIT: Nevermind the below long winded question. I finally figured it out. I'll leave my post below anyways. Watched a youtube video on using X touch with Ableton Live and I didn't set the hardware up properly. You're supposed to power on the X touch holding down the far left select button.. From here I selected MCU and USB. Works great now!
You said you selected MCU and USB. I see only an "MC" option. That's the right one correct?

This is the vid you're referring to correct?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Xg3gm3A4I

Thanks!

Quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------

I just bought an X touch universal. Running Windows 10. But I can't get it to work. I have it plugged in, and the scribble strip panel and jog wheel light up when plugged in into the computer via the USB and the unit is turned on. I'm running reaper 64 bit.

I downloaded reaper_csurf_mcu_klinke_v0_6_4 zipped and unpacked it under program files/Reaper (x64)/plugins

Here I have the folders FX and MCU (which has the sub folders 64bit_version, Config, Overlay, PlugMaps as well as the files DefaulActionsReaperKeyMap, gpl-2.0 and whats_new).

under the main plugins folder I have:

reaper_csurf.dll
reaper_csurf_mcu_klinke.dll
reaper_csurf_mcu_klinke_b.dll
reaper_csurf_mcu_klinke_b_x64.dll
reaper_csurf_mcu_klinke_x64.dll

as well as some other .dlls, but the ones I listed are related.

When I load Reaper, I've gone into Options/Preferencs/Control Surfaces.

There is nothing currently selected. So I click Add -> Control Surface Mode - >

and I have the following options:

Mackie Control (Klinke)
Mackie Control Extender
Mackie Control Extender (Klinke)
Mackie Control Universal
Mackie Control Universal (Klinke)

As well as some other options including Presonus Faderport (I have a faderport that I no longer use).

I selected Mackie Control Extender (Klinke) but not sure what to click for Midi input and Midi Output.

Regardless, it doesn't do anything. The X touch remains the same, with nothing functioning. Just the scribble strip lit up and the jog wheel lit up. I've tried the other Mackie Control Options, with the same results.

Can someone point out what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks Drak for leaving this up there!

Old 09-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #64
Simonblarkin

I am successfully using two BFC controlers with the latest version of the Klinke driver. That said, I cannot seem to get two versions of BCF view to work, BCF 1 shows up in the display but although BCF view see's the second BCF there is a blank blue bar that shows no info at all. It's not a problem for general mixing but is when I want to use the controllers in plugin mode and it so happens that the track in question lands on controller two, I cannot see any info on the plugins I open.

Hope that makes sense and I hope there is a solution to this that I am missing.

Best

Simon
Simonblarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:32 AM   #65
thunderbroom

Default Hello Klinke!

I'm using my Mackie MCU-Pro; up until the most recent iteration, it has worked flawlessly for years. Now I keep getting the "Control Surface Error" about MIDI detection (I've attached a screen shot). I followed the directions several times about troubleshooting this error (rebooted computer several times, uninstalled and reinstalled your csurf plug-in files, power cycled all my hardware). I got it up and working for a moment last evening, but since booting up this morning, it simply won't work. Maybe I'm missing something - here's what else I've tried:

Changing the MIDI input and output choices from MCU 3.1 in/out to Pro 40 (my interface) in/out; changing the other In/OUT choices from the same menu, even tried using the built-in MCU controller just to see if anything would happen - nothing).

I'm obviously doing something wrong here - could anyone offer me some guidance on additional ways to troubleshoot this? My system is as follows:
Windows 7; Intel i7 3.4GHz dual core; 16GB RAM; several SSDs - about 800GB total drive space; 1 external 3TB HD for backup. Running Reaper 5.25.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you might be able to provide!

Last edited by thunderbroom; 12-19-2016 at 11:00 AM.
thunderbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:19 PM   #66
Klinke

Mmm, I have never seen this error message. Have you tried to connect the MCU with other software? Do you always get the error message when you try to select the MIDI in/output in this software.

E.g. you could install MIDI-Ox, select the MCU MIDI-Input and check if the MIDI Input Monitor of MIDI-Ox show events when you press a button or move a fader.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:22 PM   #67
thunderbroom

Quote:
Mmm, I have never seen this error message. Have you tried to connect the MCU with other software? Do you always get the error message when you try to select the MIDI in/output in this software.

E.g. you could install MIDI-Ox, select the MCU MIDI-Input and check if the MIDI Input Monitor of MIDI-Ox show events when you press a button or move a fader.
I've never received this message before yesterday; hence I'm puzzled too. I wonder if there could have been some bizarre windows update that might have had something to do with it?

I haven't tried any other software (a yours has worked so brilliantly until now), but I'm willing to give it a go. MIDI-Ox - I'll look it up, and let you know what happens. And thank you for responding so quickly!
Old 09-27-2016, 08:45 PM   #68
thunderbroom

Quote:

After downloading the MIDI-Ox you suggested, I tried something else on a hunch, and it seems to have worked. I went back to make sure that the keymap and ActionMode.xml file that came with your plugin download had been copied in the proper locations; I found they hadn't been. So I went ahead and copied them into the proper locations. And that seems to have done the trick! So far all is well. I'll keep the MIDI-Ox download just in case this occurs again, and this fix doesn't work. Thanks again for your help and for responding so quickly!
Old 09-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #69
thunderbroom

Quote:

So my success was short-lived. I opened Reaper a moment ago, received the same error I mentioned in my last post. I then removed the MCU from preferences, clicked 'OK' then closed, and reopened the session. Went back to preferences, selected the MCU, and it did not work. No matter which MIDI input I choose, Reaper will not connect with my MCU anymore. Again, it worked yesterday evening through 2 entire mix session. Even this morning. Now it has stopped again.

Could there be anything in the way Reaper is booting up that could cause this? Like it's running some sort of script that scans something incorrectly? Maybe there's another file somewhere that is confusing it (Reaper doesn't seem to like similarly named .dll files). I'm running out of ideas but I'm willing to try anything to get my MCU up and running quickly!
Old 09-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #70
thunderbroom

Default I might have stumbled onto the cause & solution

I think I've figured this one out. As I get a lot of mix projects from outside sources, beyond what I record in my studio, often times they are recorded at different sample rates. So even though my interface is set, say, at 48K, the project might come in with files recorded at 44.1. Hence, wordclock connection between my audio interface and the ADAT connections to the wordclock (a piece of UA gear) becomes "unconnected" until I reset it. When I boot up for the first time, the system will default to whatever the most recent project was open when I last shutdown. If it's different, and the connection is lost, no MIDI in or out - nothing.

Now that I have that bit sorted, so far today, the MCU has been working like champ as usual. I'll keep you posted should anything change. But for now I think I've got this thing licked. Cheers!
Old 11-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #71
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

Quote:
This can be changed by the "Follow Reaper" Option, that you can adjust with the VPots when you press Shift and Option buttons at the same time. See also section 7.1.7 in the manual.
Im using an Icon Qcon Pro in Reaper mode, when I press Shift and Option I dont see any option to Follow Reaper. Nothing changes on the LCD Display.

Also what is a VPot on the Qcon Pro? Is it the volume slider, or the pan knob?
Old 11-03-2016, 12:55 AM   #72
OttoPus

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjumpsoffbuildings View Post
Im using an Icon Qcon Pro in Reaper mode, when I press Shift and Option I dont see any option to Follow Reaper. Nothing changes on the LCD Display.

Also what is a VPot on the Qcon Pro? Is it the volume slider, or the pan knob?
You have to use it in "Logic Mode"

The VPot are the knobs.
OttoPus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:03 AM   #73
Sugee

Hello!

I'm using qcon in logic mode but few buttons are good-for-nothing.E.G. the track,instrument,group,drop,replace.
In cubase or reaper mode they have another function.
Is it possible to reprogramming somehow the buttons?

Thank you in advance!

BR,
Sugee
Sugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:25 AM   #74
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugee View Post
Hello!

I'm using qcon in logic mode but few buttons are good-for-nothing.E.G. the track,instrument,group,drop,replace.
In cubase or reaper mode they have another function.
Is it possible to reprogramming somehow the buttons?

Thank you in advance!

BR,
Sugee
Not within the extension alone, the only solution is to use an additional software that parses and split the midi-events that comes from the QCon and then send the modified events via different ports of a virtual midi driver (e.g. LoopBe30) to Reaper).

But you can use the Global Action buttons, and in the Action mode also the VPots to assign them to Reaper actions.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:51 AM   #75
Sugee

Quote:
Not within the extension alone, the only solution is to use an additional software that parses and split the midi-events that comes from the QCon and then send the modified events via different ports of a virtual midi driver (e.g. LoopBe30) to Reaper).

But you can use the Global Action buttons, and in the Action mode also the VPots to assign them to Reaper actions.
My problem is the unusable buttons.I have many possibilies to set up actions to the "F" keys with alt,shift,option.
As I see in different layout has a different button config and I hope I can change the button layout somehow.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:48 AM   #76
Sugee

OK,i have the loopbe30 and the MIDI tools from mountain utilities.I read a lot of post here,but I'm too noob to set up this.
Is there a noob-proof tutorial somewhere?
Old 12-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #77
kaeru

Default shopping for a control surface

EDIT:

Hello everyone, I'd like some help before making a purchase of a control surface. Using Klinke's driver, is it possible to have a mode where the faders send MIDI CC? And possibly go back to being track volume faders under normal operation? Is FX Mode what I am looking for? Thanks in advance for any replies !

kaeru

Last edited by kaeru; 12-15-2016 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Rewriting my question for clarity
kaeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:53 AM   #78
kaeru

It seems like Action mode does what I am looking for with the VPOTs, especially if MIDI CC is set to Relative Mode. Is it at all possible to get this functionality on the faders? It would be impossible to play keyboard while also moving 2 or 3 vpots, but would work perfectly for faders.

Looking forward to any help with this,
kaeru

EDIT:
reference to action mode on page 15, at the bottom:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...nke_manual.pdf
kaeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #79
stevenagy88

Default Klinke not listed in available control surface

I'd like to apologize in advance if I am crossposting or being stupid in general, but I cannot, for the life of me, get the DLL to work. The entry "Mackie Control (Klinke)" is simply not listed when adding a control surface. What I have done so far:

-RTFM;
-Copy the latest version to either the 32-bit or 64-bit Vst folders;
-Run Reaper with admin permissions.

Reaper scans the DLL correctly from the VST option page, but that's it: it never shows up as a control surface option.

I have a Behringer X-Touch, set up for MCU over USB, Windows 10 64-bit, latest 64-bit Reaper. The controller works correctly with Reapers standard Mackie Control option.
Thanks in advance to any kind soul with a light to brighten my darkness.
stevenagy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:02 PM   #80
Klinke

A Reaper extension (and therefore a Reaper Control Surface) is not a VST plugin, you copied into the wrong folder. RTFM more precise, especially the installation section ;-)