Old 06-16-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
Sid Chip
Human being with feelings

Default TouchOSC with Sequencer Megababy

So I'm after some sort of live drum sequencing. I dig megababy's layout and would like to replicate it in touchOSC. There is a "beat machine" layout that looks promosing but it sends OSC toggles.

What would it realistically take to make this work with megababy? It already works quite well as a mix surface so I'm familiar with OSC setups.

Any input as to how I could create a megababy surface in TouchOSC would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sid Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Spacemen Tree

Hi. What exactly would you need to control.
I'm currently dabling in OSC and using megababy and have access via TouchOSC to:

*current drum pattern
*note start
*rate
*swing
*etc

What more exactly would you need?
Paint me a picture and I'll see if I can help, as I'm putting a OSC layout together lately.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #3
Sid Chip

I'm after basically a Launchpad type interface to MegaBaby where I would use TouchOSC to:

- display current sequence step
- tap the pads to live program the drum's / notes into the sequencer
- change current pattern
- Start / Stop Reaper

I'm trying to use it as a 16 channel 16/32 step drum sequencer. Reaper would then on start send midi sync to my other instruments to hopefully keep everyone in sync for some live jamming / composing.

The Beat Machine layout looks very much like what i'm sort of after, but the toggles but I'm not sure how I'd translate the toggles into what Megababy needs...

How are you accessing the OSC in Megababy? FYI I'm a software dev and have developed quite a few JS plugins for my own, but have always used midirecv

Thanks,
Sid.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #4
Spacemen Tree

Hi Sid.

Start and stop Reaper is doable.
Changing pattern also doable.

The other two I dont know...

I'm also using a frankenstein of LiveControl iPad and LogicPad. For now I've just been testing the waters but initial assessment is positive.
I've also edited the logicpad.reaperosc file and I'm using that one instead of Reaper's default.reaperosc

There's stuff I'd like to do that's not really possible but I've worked around it a bit with scripts.

As for the sync thing well that is beyond me I think. I'm not well versed in MIDI stuff.

I can try to record this in some way if you'd like, as soon as I've got some time to spare...

Have you looked into oscii-bot? Maybe that's just up your alley, and from my meagre understanding of it, you can code it something like a JS-fx and you wouldn't need to change the OSC messages you are sending to reaper.

EDIT:
Got my iPad here and just tested it for you. Setting Reaper in Record mode I can successfully insert notes in a new pattern in Seq Baby.

EDIT 2: Success on the Steps per beat as well.

Last edited by Spacemen Tree; 06-19-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Spacemen Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:16 PM   #5
Sid Chip

Great!

How?
Old 06-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #6
Spacemen Tree

I don't know if it's worth it the trouble trying to do a video or something like that, really...

Give me a day or so and I'll make you a sort of proof of concept OSC layout and then you can see it and take it apart and organize it to your liking.

What you think?
Old 06-19-2017, 02:24 PM   #7
EpicSounds

I am also interested. Have had some interest in updating my TouchOSC video over the past week.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #8
Spacemen Tree

Ok, so a bit crude but the idea is there:

Place the .reaperOSC in the reaper dir OSC folder
load the touchosc layout into your device

Tested here works fine.

How it works (we can do fine tunning later):

0. Run TouchOSC Bridge and then REAPER
1. load SeqBaby in a track
2. Set Record on that track.
3. Check "monitor input", "record:disable" and set "input MIDI:TouchOSC Bridge" (you might have to enable this in Prefs > MIDI inputs)
4. Select the track. If all is well you will see the above image on your device.

The top buttons (Stop, Play etc) I think are pretty self explanatory but ask away if you want to know something. If I know, remember I'm also walking step by step in the dark here, I'll answer...

You can control the parameters with the sliders and maybe extend their size (maybe the patterns one as it might improve changing pattern) but in the future with a small script or action we can do this more easily (think action to advance FX parameter 1 or something, there must be one, or else it's scriptable)

Squares to the right are C3 - A3 (set to send MIDI through touchOSC bridge) and they will work with Seq Baby as long as you mapping is set to this range). You can alter the notes in TouchOSC editor later if you want and rearrange the layout.

Remember if you move something to page 2 you have to change those items OSC messages and where it says /1/something you have to change it to /2/something.
Same with the Reaper OSC layout. When changing something in the Sid.ReaperOSC file you have to restart REAPER for the changes to take effect.

Any questions, fire away. Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sid.zip (3.8 KB, 235 views)

Last edited by Spacemen Tree; 06-19-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Spacemen Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #9
Sid Chip

I will look at this thanks.

I was more interested in knowing what OSC message you're sending to get the notes to enter in Megababy?
Is it just a .reaperosc change or just TouchOSC? Did you have to change he JS?

Thanks,
Sid.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:23 PM   #10
Spacemen Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Chip View Post
I will look at this thanks.

I was more interested in knowing what OSC message you're sending to get the notes to enter in Megababy?
Is it just a .reaperosc change or just TouchOSC? Did you have to change he JS?

Thanks,
Sid.
Nope, nothing of the sort. In TouchOSC you can simultaneously send MIDI along with the OSC message. TouchOSC Bridge delivers the two. If you do like I did and activate TouchOSC Bridge as a MIDI input in REAPER, it's effectively as if you were sending the MIDI note from a keyboard (except your not).

Nothing complicated. Sort a hack.

You do need to have the track with record:disable though. I just do a send to another track and record the midi there afterwards. It's very flexible.

As for the parameters, thats OSC and REAPER takes care of that.