Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 08-01-2017, 08:56 AM   #1
eltrem
Human being with feelings

Default Sending OSC values from Reaper to Other Softwares

Hi All !

I've been trying quite a few alternatives on how to be able to draw a track envelope in Reaper and be able to send these values out of Reaper via OSC with an OSC message address that I can configure.

I'm on Reaper 5.40, OSX 10.11.2, with Pyhton 2.7 and 3.6 installed.

My first attempt was using the .ReaperOSC method for control surfaces...

I've been able to read OSC message from Reaper creating a dummy plugin with a slider, then I created a .ReaperOSC layout and I have been able to read the messages out of Reaper with a simple OpenFrameworks app (c++) but the address was fixed to the format "n/track/@/fx/@/fxparam/@/value" ... I've tried to get rid of the @ and so be able to configure my own OSC address but I couldn't make it work if i took out the @ from the definition of the OSC address ...

Then I learned about beyond.Reaper option ...

So I try to install it. I followed the installation instructions : first I had installed on my system Python 2.7, and I read that beyond.Reaper needs 3.4+ version of Python. So I downloaded and installed Python 3.6 from it's website ... Followed the instrucions on beyond.Reaper and got stuck as I couldn't make Reaper to recognise my Python 3.6 dylib (DLL) files ... So Reaper got stuck to Python 2.7 while I need the new one to try out beyond.Reaper ...

And so I'm tired and so frustrated that I'm writing to the forum to see if any "Reaper Angel" has the solution on how to be able to use a "track envelope" (that i can draw) to send OSC messages to a custom made OSC addres ...

Does my question makes sense ?
I've read lots of forums posts, but I couldn't figure it out ...

Is Python the best option for such thing ? or maybe Beyond.Reaper ? or maybe LUA ? or maybe EEL2 ? Which option could be easier to read a track envelope and send it through OSC to other apps ?

Thanks for any idea ...

s*
eltrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
Tonegrown
Human being with feelings

Default Puredate

Hi, I use PureData, specifically the latest Purrdata, to filter and manipulate Osc messages and midi between 2 instances of reaper (one for live mixing and one for playing backing tracks), TouchOSC ( 3 tablets and 2 phones ) and midi on a windows laptop. I just got it all working recently and would recommend it as it has been very stable. I attached a jpg of the basic way that I use pd to translate osc messeges. I think this will work for your use case.

basically, the idea is that you receive your OSC in pd from reaper. then tell PD to route that specific OSC message and pass along just the number (varible) to a new OSC message. Then pd will send out the new message.

and do the same thing in reverse if you need bi-directional communication.

Darrell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg basic translation.JPG (21.7 KB, 619 views)
Tonegrown is offline   Reply With Quote