Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 02-15-2012, 05:54 AM   #41
Anton9
Human being with feelings

Schwa,

No that's not the problem.., I've tried normalized values.
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #42
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by philait View Post
Is there a Windows emulator/Prog I could use to test?
I'm sure there are OSC software clients, but for just testing simple messages, there is also a reascript/OSC bridge, via the function RPR_OscLocalMessageToHost.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #43
schwa
Administrator

Anton9, the OSC control surface has its own state -- it has a currently active track bank, track, fx, fx parameter bank, and fx, which are separate from the selections showing in the REAPER UI. At startup the active track is the master track, and the active FX is the first slot. So sending the message /fxparam/5/value without any prior state will set the 5th parameter of the first FX slot on the master track.

If you want to target some other FX, you can either use messages to change the current FX state (all of the PREV/NEXT/EDIT messages), or use longer patter forms, such as /fx/@/fxparam/@/value to target a different FX slot in the active track, or track/@/fx/@/fxparam/@/value to target a different track.

Also, the current active track and fxparam are always relative to the current track bank and fxparam bank. The idea is, if you have a control surface that can display 16 fx knobs, the message /fxparam/5/value will target the 5th FX parameter. If you send the message NEXT_FX_PARAM_BANK, the message /fxparam/5/value will target the 21st FX parameter.

If your control surface does not have a display limit (because it's software and not a control surface, or for any other reason), the NUM_ messages are irrelevant. Even if NUM_TRACKS is set to 8, the message /track/24/volume will target track 24, as long as the current track bank has not changed.

Last edited by schwa; 02-15-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #44
Anton9

Schwa,

Thank you for the info.., that will come in handy.

I just tried another utility to send messages to REAPER and it also doesn't work with sending FX messages although other messages such as tempo work just fine. Is there anything else I can check.., an option or preference or an .ini file setting?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #45
Anton9

It's weird.., I open REAPER's listener and it shows the correct messages being received, but for some reason plugins are not receiving the messages.
I do have REAPER installed with the portable option.., but I don't think that would have anything to do with it.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #46
Anton9

Schwa,

I read through your last post again and I now have FX parameter control working. It was this part that turned on the light.
Quote:
So sending the message /fxparam/5/value without any prior state will set the 5th parameter of the first FX slot on the master track.
So I put an FX on the master track, tried it.., and cha-ching!!!

Thank you so much!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #47
Anton9

It's me again.., sorry to be such a PITA, but I'm back to square one.
So I use this message thinking it would target FX-1 of track 1.
/track/0/fx/1/fxparam/5/value I also tried /track/1/... but it doesn't work.
What am I missing here?

Last edited by Anton9; 02-15-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #48
Masarin

Don't know if this has been mentioned before or if it's a good solution but what about adding a checkbox or something like that to each FX in the FX-list in each track or somewhere else where it fits better, and then you can toggle it to enable/disable the FX as a receiver/sender of OSC messages?
Masarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #49
harmonicaman

Default glovepie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton9 View Post
It's me again.., sorry to be such a PITA, but I'm back to square one.
So I use this message thinking it would target FX-1 of track 1.
/track/0/fx/1/fxparam/5/value I also tried /track/1/... but it doesn't work.
What am I missing here?
Hello,
Tried numbers in this order two, it didn't work.
In glovepie :
to target, for example, track=1, fx=2, fxparam=5
SendOsc("localhost",Osc.port,"/track/5/fx/2/fxparam/1/value",1.0)

Other example with track=4,fx=7, fxparam=3
SendOsc("localhost",Osc.port,"/track/3/fx/7/fxparam/4/value",MapRange(Joystick1.z, 0,1, 0,1))

It works when you revert everything. Don't ask me why, I don't know osc or glovepie at all, in fact, I was just trying my old sixaxis with the code you posted before, so thanks
harmonicaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #50
schwa
Administrator

That's a bug -- the wildcard order is reversed when sending a message that has more than one @. Fixed for the next build.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #51
Anton9

Way to go harmonicaman!

Thank you harmonicaman & Schwa.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #52
Anton9

Schwa,

Do you plan on adding support for controlling Insert FX and Item FX via OSC?
I noticed that Insert FX outputs the same messages as Track FX but I was not able to get Insert FX to respond to input. Item FX don't seem to output or respond to input.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #53
gwok

what is the status on controlling fx parameters with osc now? I see some posts saying it's being done with parameter modualtion or something, but it seems pretty convoluted. Mind you i haven't sifted throught that deeply.

so is there a simple osc command (or set), that that would for example do someting like

current focused plugin\last touched parameter - or something along those lines?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also. I just wanted to repost this response from the other Lemur thread, in respose to Schwa's request for suggestions. Basically, I think the concept of Ableton and the Lemur\Mu setup is worth taking a serious look at. The ease for the end user is just incredible, as there is no programming\UI design at all for the user, just get down to business right away

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post

. The ultimate would be something like the Mu patch for Lemur\Ableton\Max for Live. It connects to the Ableton API. and is basically "the shit" Load up your Abelton project, and boom you can control the entire UI from you ipad\Lemur, without acutally making any interfaces.

Mu Link:

http://www.jazzmutant.com/mu.php

(though that video is oriented around the clip triggering, the general concept and level of integration is what I'm refereing to - load a plugin - control your DAW!)

g
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #54
plush2

Quote:
what is the status on controlling fx parameters with osc now? I see some posts saying it's being done with parameter modualtion or something, but it seems pretty convoluted. Mind you i haven't sifted throught that deeply.

so is there a simple osc command (or set), that that would for example do someting like

current focused plugin\last touched parameter - or something along those lines?
The latest builds have a Logic layout for touch/iphone and ipad. These work pretty much as expected with little to no configuration required. I get the feeling that much more can be done with a host as configurable as Reaper but, until then if you want to get up and running right away this is the way to do it.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #55
gwok

ya, I'm not into the touchOsc stuff. I have some UI's I made in Lemur, which are my sorta workhorse patches and I want to use those. I did get the TouchOsc Logic template working though changing fx parameters, so thats a start.

From what i gathered there is no command to connect to the selected track. It's all done by track name and number atm. To my knowledge anyway, a command like this

track/@/fx/@/fxparam/@/value

all the @'s need to be specified, hence tied to that track\fx etc. So I'm and wondering how the make the "@" = selected. So I'm looking for something like

/track/"sel"/fx/"sel"/fxparam/1/value

hence connecting me to the current tracks, currently selected plugin, parameter 1
Old 02-16-2012, 04:02 AM   #56
Spyrow

Quote:
ya, I'm not into the touchOsc stuff. I have some UI's I made in Lemur, which are my sorta workhorse patches and I want to use those. I did get the TouchOsc Logic template working though changing fx parameters, so thats a start.

From what i gathered there is no command to connect to the selected track. It's all done by track name and number atm. To my knowledge anyway, a command like this

track/@/fx/@/fxparam/@/value

all the @'s need to be specified, hence tied to that track\fx etc. So I'm and wondering how the make the "@" = selected. So I'm looking for something like

/track/"sel"/fx/"sel"/fxparam/1/value

hence connecting me to the current tracks, currently selected plugin, parameter 1
Hey Gwok,

I don't know if you read my FR but it is related to what you are saying.

I suggested them to add:
FOCUSED_FX_NAME
FOCUSED_FX_PARAM_NAME
FOCUSED_FX_PARAM_VALUE
FOCUSED_FX_PARAM_VALUE_STRING
FOCUSED_FX_BYPASS
FOCUSED_PREV_FX_PARAM_BANK
FOCUSED_NEXT_FX_PARAM_BANK

So we could do things like, create some faders, for example /1/fader1 to /1/fader8 and use the config file to use them to control focused FX, as we already do with MIDI. You would just have to write:

FOCUSED_FX_PARAM_VALUE /1/fader@

I hope that make sense.
Spyrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:12 AM   #57
Subz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyrow View Post
Hey Gwok,

I don't know if you read my FR but it is related to what you are saying.

I suggested them to add:
FOCUSED_FX_NAME
FOCUSED_FX_PARAM_NAME
FOCUSED_FX_PARAM_VALUE
FOCUSED_FX_PARAM_VALUE_STRING
FOCUSED_FX_BYPASS
FOCUSED_PREV_FX_PARAM_BANK
FOCUSED_NEXT_FX_PARAM_BANK

So we could do things like, create some faders, for example /1/fader1 to /1/fader8 and use the config file to use them to control focused FX, as we already do with MIDI. You would just have to write:

FOCUSED_FX_PARAM_VALUE /1/fader@

I hope that make sense.
this is what i'm hoping for!

the current logic template in touchOSC is GREAT on the first two pages, if it followed selected track it would be even better!

then i could get brave & make the 3'rd EQ page in to something more useful & maybe add a 4'th page of useful stuff!

& maybe add a open FX button to the FX page (Page 2) so you can see the gui when adjusting FX parameters,

a set OSC controller for last touched FX parameter would be great! also

its early days still but that's no reason not to express out interests now

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:12 AM   #58
Spyrow

I am trying to translate MIDI to OSC with a little script in java (http://addi.tv/moco/) and I don't know the syntax to access the different values of a multivalue variable:

This is what I get in the listen screen:
/midi/cc [iii] 0 21 127

0 is the MIDI channel
21 is the CC#
127 is the MIDI value

Is there a way to specify the second value as a name and the third value as the real value?

Something like:
/midi/cc/0/21

I'm doing this to see if I can get feedback in Reaper with a regular midi controller.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #59
Sexan

FR:Manipulating with Play/Edit cursor position,so we can have 1 "navigator fader" that will update the whole time (min value of fader is beginning of project max value is the end) and easily scroll the project.

yay or nay?
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #60
Subz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
FR:Manipulating with Play/Edit cursor position,so we can have 1 "navigator fader" that will update the whole time (min value of fader is beginning of project max value is the end) and easily scroll the project.

yay or nay?

Yay if its possible
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #61
Spyrow

Quote:
I am trying to translate MIDI to OSC with a little script in java (http://addi.tv/moco/) and I don't know the syntax to access the different values of a multivalue variable:

This is what I get in the listen screen:
/midi/cc [iii] 0 21 127

0 is the MIDI channel
21 is the CC#
127 is the MIDI value

Is there a way to specify the second value as a name and the third value as the real value?

Something like:
/midi/cc/0/21

I'm doing this to see if I can get feedback in Reaper with a regular midi controller.
No problem, I did a very simple MaxMSP patch and it's working now.

It seems like a complicated workaround but finally seeing MIDI feedback for a regular controller it's like a dream come true
Old 02-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #62
Banned

Quote:
No problem, I did a very simple MaxMSP patch and it's working now.

It seems like a complicated workaround but finally seeing MIDI feedback for a regular controller it's like a dream come true
... which is why I asked elsewhere: can we please also have a generic MIDI control surface template? Now that we do have it for OSC, it makes me wonder even more why it's missing from REAPER's toolchain. There are plenty MIDI controllers out there, still not so many OSC ones... and providing parameter feedback would make them much more useful, without any need for workarounds.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #63
Spyrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
... which is why I asked elsewhere: can we please also have a generic MIDI control surface template? Now that we do have it for OSC, it makes me wonder even more why it's missing from REAPER's toolchain. There are plenty MIDI controllers out there, still not so many OSC ones... and providing parameter feedback would make them much more useful, without any need for workarounds.
That's another battle my friend. All I know now is that I got MIDI feedback in Reaper for the first time and I am loving it.

If somebody wants the MAX/MSP patch just PM me.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #64
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicaman View Post
[...] It works when you revert everything. [...]
Good catch, harmonica man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
That's a bug -- the wildcard order is reversed when sending a message that has more than one @. Fixed for the next build.
It seems that something else is happening as well; it seems that all tracks incorrectly send out track number 0.
For example, with this line in the OSC control surface config file:

Code:
FX_PARAM_VALUE /track/@/fx/@/fxparam/@/value
track 1, fx slot 1, parameter 2 sends out:

Code:
/track/0/fx/1/fxparam/2/value
(while the track number remains 0 when the effect is moved to master track or track 2 and the same parameter #2 is changed, hence making it impossible to distinguish between tracks)

For the same parameter (track 1, fx slot 1, parameter 2) to respond to OSC feedback, this works:

Code:
/track/2/fx/1/fxparam/1/value

Last edited by Banned; 02-16-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #65
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
+1

Actually when seeing the implementation of parameter feedback for OSC my first thought was to ask if we can have it for generic Midi controllers also. Long standing FR...
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #66
Banned

Quote:
That's another battle my friend. All I know now is that I got MIDI feedback in Reaper for the first time and I am loving it.
Indeed. I'm already quite a happy camper.
Quote:
If somebody wants the MAX/MSP patch just PM me.
I have a simple test patch working for anyone who wants it as well, for Pure data, which many may prefer (since it is free, and runs on all platforms including iOS). [EDIT: Oh wait, I forgot to think of the free Max runtime - that should work, too.] I think we should just post our REAPER-related patches on the forum or the stash, but for the moment, since the REAPER OSC implementation is very likely to be changed (i.e. fixed for the bug described above) within a matter of days, perhaps even minutes anyway, my patch would only have very limited use (as soon as the bug is fixed, we shouldn't need some patch for message order conversion in the return path, so we can just take Pd / Max / whatever out of the loop). Feel free to ask me for it though. [EDIT: Since the the required features of the OSC implementation now seem to have been fixed, I have posted my patch with instructions here.

Your MIDI feedback enabling patch will probably be useful for a longer lifespan (although I remain hopeful for a native solution sooner rather than later), so I guess it would be useful to make a Pd version of it as well. I'll be glad to try and convert it to Pd (which shouldn't be much of a problem for this type of patch), so I'll shoot you a PM for it indeed.

For those interested, my latest simple test project used REAPER with only a JS similar to the dummy posted by schwa, but expanded to 8 sliders; then in Numerology 3 Pro I used its OSC learn function for 8 sliders (in an instance of its FaderBox module), and routed Numerology's OSC output to Pure data; in Pd I made a simple patch to receive OSC, switch numbers around a bit so that the currently latest version of REAPER understands it despite the bug, and finally output it again via OSC to REAPER. The result is that the parameters are linked between the apps bi-directionally, and without the limited resolution of MIDI CC#. Loving it indeed. I can now also use a similar setup to use REAPER to record, edit and play back pretty much whatever I do in Numerology. The love just doesn't stop... and I didn't even hook up the bunch of iPhones I have, yet.

Last edited by Banned; 02-18-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: (1) forgot about Max runtime; (2) added link to Pd patch + instructions
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #67
caseyjames

I'm just getting back from a work visit. I have been hoping for and dreading OSC implementation in Reaper for a while. Could someone help paint a picture of what it is and isn't at the moment.

I have always worred that Open Sound Control would be implemented like the midi learn functions in reaper, as automation, which I find to be very unfriendly to compositionally minded Reaper users. Are any of these possible with the current incarnation of OSC?

multiple performance takes
time stretching
scaling
cutting sections
gluing sections
muting events
muting sections/items
combining data in free item positiong mode
displacing data in time
reversing data
inverting data
ghost parts
combing multiple items with data from different parameters
storing in the project bay
exporting
js processing

As a MIDI replacement, which is what it is designed for, OSC implemented as automation is a dreadful idea, as the compositional operations that are common to the midi workflow of every single music sequencer are simply discarded in favor of nothing at all, save resolution. Many OSC parameters like notes, in no way belong on an automation envelope.

Are my worst fears coming to fruition or is the plan sound?
caseyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #68
gwok

osc can be assigned to actions, so most of that stuff you mention can be done i would suppose, though tbh, your idea of what osc is good and bad for don't make much sense to me.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #69
caseyjames

What aspects don't make sense?

As a modern replacement for midi, I expect to have the same kind of flexibility that midi has. This includes storing related midi events in objects (items) which can be cut, stretched and every thing else I mentioned, in all of the ways that have been developed and have become common in last 30 years of midi.

I'm trying to find out if any of that exists or if it is simply the current global space envelope lanes and action triggering, which certainly don't add up to the complete compositional workflow that I was describing.

I know this feature is just getting started, but I'm trying to find out what direction its headed in, and if any of these aspects have been considered?
Old 02-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #70
schwa
Administrator

It's all wide open at the moment, that's why this thread exists, to collect feedback. We can take OSC in whatever direction we want. It would be easy to add support for OSC messages like "activate take X in active item", or "adjust selected item pitch", and so on. There are no meaningful limitations built into the design.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #71
caseyjames

I'm glad to hear the direction is open.

I think both the responses are considering OSC as triggers to effect data... Be it reversing, or "activate take X in active item"

The problem is OSC is data. There is no "active OSC item" to activate a take in. OSC can't yet be stored in items, which could then be manipulated by actions.

That OSC messages can be mapped to actions is an auxiliary concern in the same way that mapping midi to parameters in reaper is a convenience and not the primary design of midi.

It lieu of real items or containers for the OSC data, it seems that it is being off loaded onto the envelopes, which like global space in programming are archaic and inflexible. I can see having both for sure, but starting with one definitely sets a direction for development in the near term.

That is the distinction that I am concerned about. I feel this concern is valid as NO daw manufacturer has yet gotten it right, all choosing to offload the data onto the envelopes, and as a result OSC, which should have been a no brainer has failed in the fifteen years of its existence to gain mass acceptance and replace midi, despite no having technological hurdles standing in the way.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #72
Banned

I think what caseyjames is saying goes along with what I was hinting at in post #13 above re: OSC sequencer stuff, and not only have a remote control surface implementation but also a capability to control (or 'sequence', if you will) other stuff via OSC, not only as curves but also as raw data. I'd love to see such stuff getting developed, but I'll also gladly admit there isn't as much practical use for it yet (chicken-and-egg and all that stuff) as for MIDI / parameter automation, which could still use much improvement in REAPER as well. I remember schwa making a very valid point on IRC a few years ago: if OSC is supposed to be a replacement for MIDI, then how many synths or plugins support it? Unfortunately, the answer is still "not very much".
Old 02-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #73
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

That's work perfectly with LogicTouch layout in the iphone 4 and TouchOSC app. I would like a Ipad now
My request will be to find Reaper mixer Layout for have all the chanels in one view and of course the master output fader.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #74
schwa
Administrator

We'd like to eventually support OSC sequencing, but we're starting with control-type support because that's the immediate practical application.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #75
gwok

@caseyjames - I see what your saying> i thought you meant you want to perform those commands on midi\audio items with osc, and was confused as to why you would want to use osc for that . From what i gather your basically talking about osc items, with all the functionality that goes along with items. I'm down with that for sure!

I'm like why on earth would you want to use an OSC command\UI to export items - ahahaha
Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #76
Sexan

There is a bug with refresh list in OSC window, it doesn't update the list,
And one more time...working like a boss on android 2.3
Old 02-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #77
schwa
Administrator

OSC "refresh list" working here .. what OS are you using?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #78
Sexan

win7x64 reaper32
Old 02-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #79
Banned

I think we have a new bug in v4.16pre17: REAPER does not seem to send out any OSC data for fx on tracks other than the master track with this line in the OSC control surface config file:
Code:
FX_PARAM_VALUE /track/@/fx/@/fxparam/@/value
Old 02-17-2012, 01:53 AM   #80
Anton9

OSC control of FX is working way better..., thank you!
The LAST_TOUCHED commands are awesome.

I would also love to see OSC sequencing come to REAPER. With OSC's 64bit time tags OSC sequencing would way outshine MIDI.

How about array tags.., could be really interesting?