Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #1
EricSpace
Human being with feelings

Default Drum VSTs stop working when closing their window

Maybe I've changed some VST plugin preferences and don't remember what, but for some reason some of my drum plugins (except Strike2) stop outputting audio whenever I close their FX window (64bit Windows, 64bit iVST). For example, the great new Jamstix 4 and the old version 3 behave that way, and also Volko Alaturka Drums and Sonnivox Coleman Drums.

When I switch on the recording button they output audio when the window is closed, but I'd like to make them output always.

Any advice?
EricSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #2
ivansc

have you tried setting the record monitoring to AUTO?
Old 12-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
EricSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
have you tried setting the record monitoring to AUTO?
Yes, no change. The drum VSTs only play back the midi they generate (not on the track) when recording is enabled.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:43 AM   #4
ivansc

Just to be 100% clear. Are you saying that the plugin continues to generate audio but you cant hear it, or that the plugin stops generating midi/audio altogether?
In other words, if you are looking at as grasphical representation of a kit in the plugin when this happens, do the drums in the plugin continue to SHOW strikes but no sound?
Old 12-16-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
ivansc

More thoughts.

I have just started a new project & had EZD2 on a track with nothing else at all.
I HAD already entered some MIDI into the track (via my E-Drums) but opened the EZD plugin that I had added to the tradck & set record arming to off. The went into EZD2`s browser and started playing one of the EZD MIDI loops internally.
I could not make it do anything but play audio and indicate in the track meter that it was doing so.

Even closed the plugin GUI and refocussed Reaper on the second (blank) track I had inserted ready for my bass part.
Still working fine. Just did the same with Volko Alaturq - perfectly fine.

How about you start a new project from scratch and just enter a track with EZD2 as virtual instrument and see if it is still broken in the new project?
Old 12-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #6
EricSpace

Thanks for the help, I've done that with Volko and it doesn't work. This happens in every project for a long time already. Not sure whether it ever worked, to be honest.

New project > add synth Volko Alaturka Drum on a new track

When the record button is enabled, it always plays. When the record button is disabled, it never plays.

I don't have EZD2 so I can't test with that.

Basically, all of my drum plugins except Strike 2 never play except when the track is set to record ON. I've got used to record on the drum track when I'm recording other midi stuff and just delete the drum recording every time, but it's annoying, especially when I'm recording in the drum range.

If it works for you, I suspect this must be some sort of plugin setting, but which one could it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post

Even closed the plugin GUI and refocussed Reaper on the second (blank) track I had inserted ready for my bass part.
Still working fine. Just did the same with Volko Alaturq - perfectly fine.

How about you start a new project from scratch and just enter a track with EZD2 as virtual instrument and see if it is still broken in the new project?
Old 12-17-2017, 01:37 AM   #7
ivansc

Far more likely to be a Reaper setting you inadvertently changed than Some setting in ALL the affected plugins.

Did you try a new portable install and NOT importing your existing Reaper.ini file? Just add the plugin path to your drum romplers in Reaper`s options then re-scan and see if it changes anything.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:28 AM   #8
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSpace View Post
I don't have EZD2 so I can't test with that.
In my experience with Superior Drummer, if I'm already playing a MIDI file without Record Enabled, and I then go to the SD GUI and bang a few drums, I'll get sound for a dozen or so hits and then nothing. Same goes for auditioning hits in the MIDI arrange view.

Otherwise, if not record enabled and no MIDI file playing, I can't get any sound from the GUI or MIDI view.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
EricSpace

Finally! I've found the setting!

Preferences > Playback > Run FX when stopped

This was off. I turned it on and the drum plugins now play audio even when record is disabled. Yes!!!
Old 12-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #10
dug dog

Cool! This has been bugging me for some time but I've just learned to live with it.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #11
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSpace View Post
Finally! I've found the setting!

Preferences > Playback > Run FX when stopped

This was off. I turned it on and the drum plugins now play audio even when record is disabled. Yes!!!
Hmmmm... I love options: There's so many to choose from!
Glad you found it, but now you need to go into phase 2 driving yourself nuts trying to remember if you had ever been near that setting before! Been there, done that!