Old 08-19-2017, 07:14 PM   #1
jesussaddle
Human being with feelings

Default Transport Actions Not Working

Transport Stop delete all and save all actions are not working for me. I can assign them to my ass-ASCII keys I mean, and they still don't work.

Is this because I'm using a 3 screen system? This would be a really useful feature to be able to use. Any ideas?

Also, if you have any advice, it would also be nice to have a shortcut to stop recording generally; customarily the space bar should work for that in typical audio programs from awhile ago. But it doesn't work like this, and I can't find the defaulted shortcut in reaper for that (to generally stop recording). In any case, the particular key assignments I make for the above two actions are not working either, so I'm a little confused.

Last edited by jesussaddle; 08-19-2017 at 07:21 PM.
jesussaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:24 AM   #2
nofish

Just a shot in the dark but there's an option in Preferences "Use alternate keyboard section when recording".

Maybe that's enabled on your side ?
If so, you must assign shortcuts to "Main (alt recording)" section in action list and not "Main" for them to work during recording.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #3
jesussaddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Just a shot in the dark but there's an option in Preferences "Use alternate keyboard section when recording".

If so, you must assign shortcuts to "Main (alt recording)" section in action list and not "Main" for them to work during recording.
Brilliantly Correct!

BTW, is there a way to use the Windows Key to create shortcuts? I saw that in a post while researching this, and didn't figure it out. Not that I necessarily need it, but I hate changing Reaper original shortcuts if I don't have to, since I'm not quite familiar with the program and probably will read or watch tutorials that include them at some point.

Also, I'm not sure how mouse modifiers and actions interact, especially where there may be a toggle (an on/off state). For instance, I tried creating a shortcut to toggle an action to allow inserting a MIDI note by a simple left click. I had already run the action - which worked. I would have thought then, based on the word on/off at the far right of the action item line, that a hotkey assigned to that action would then act as a simple toggle the state. It doesn't work. Then I realized it controls a left-click mouse modifier - since for some reason hitting the shortcut doesn't toggle it on and off, is that due in some way to a setting in the mouse modifier section of preferences?

The only way I have been able to figure out how to use the shortcut, is to toggle the state on with the shortcut, then off by going into Prefs/Mouse Mod/ and turning the state to "no action" or one of the other states.

I do not see an action that acts as the "toggle off".
Old 08-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #4
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesussaddle View Post
Brilliantly Correct!

BTW, is there a way to use the Windows Key to create shortcuts?
Actions, Show action list

You can assign Win as a shortcut with any other key(s), eg Win Y, or whatever.

Caveat: some combinations are reserved for use with Windows itself (e.g. Win M). If you want go use these you will need to disable use of Win keys by Windows. How you do this depends on which version you have. Google is your friend.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
jesussaddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post

Brilliantly Correct!

BTW, is there a way to use the Windows Key to create shortcuts? I saw that in a post while researching this, and didn't figure it out.

Also, I'm not sure how mouse modifiers and actions interact, especially where there may be a toggle (an on/off state). For instance, I tried creating a shortcut to toggle an action to allow inserting a MIDI note by a simple left click. I had already run the action - which worked. I would have thought then, based on the word on/off at the far right of the action item line, that a hotkey assigned to that action would then act as a simple toggle the state. It doesn't work. Then I realized it controls a left-click mouse modifier - since for some reason hitting the shortcut doesn't toggle it on and off, is that due in some way to a setting in the mouse modifier section of preferences?

The only way I have been able to figure out how to use the shortcut, is to toggle the state on with the shortcut, then off by going into Prefs/Mouse Mod/ and turning the state to "no action" or one of the other states.

I do not see an action that acts as the "toggle off".
Old 08-20-2017, 09:41 PM   #6
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesussaddle View Post

BTW, is there a way to use the Windows Key to create shortcuts? I saw that in a post while researching this, and didn't figure it out.
I thought I just answered this one for you.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote