Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #41
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Reaper is a great community. Let's keep on topic and not go down this rabbit hole.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #42
Sarasota

Just chiming in,

Please don't flame me for this..... I have one rule regarding Microsoft Products (their O.S.'s) based on past experience with all of their operating systems (starting from windows 3.1).

(My # One Rule): I never buy any "newly released" Microsoft's OS. I'll wait approximately 6-10 months and let them fix most of the bugs & issues (which they normally always have). I can't waste time while "Windows Ver. Whatever" decides to crash and burn..... Fact, "down time" is wasted time! Hell, I bought Windows 7 after it was out for well over a year.

There are a couple of extra benefits by not purchasing any newly released software (or music hardware even).

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
(1): Anyone who buys a newly released product will almost always pay a higher price premium. This is because a company has to pay off the R&D costs (Research & Development) as soon as possible. The higher price point helps pay off that R&D sooner .... It's not until a "newly released product" has been out for a while before they lower the price point. So, save yourself the money and don't purchase anything when it's just released.

(2): There's more consumer feedback available about a product the longer it's been out (such as reviews, feedback, or bug reports posted on the web). This allows you to anticipate any problems you may run into, and find a solution before you purchase the product.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Note: FYI regarding Microsoft.... A good friend of mine worked for Microsoft between 1999 to 2007... He told me Microsoft will stop at nothing to get their products onto the shelves on time, regardless of what bugs it has. He also told me the "unspoken" official policy was (while he worked there) "Get it to market first, then fix it later".

I know, this doesn't help you (I'm sorry bud)... I would revert back to Windows 7 and wait for Microsoft to fix the bugs in version 8.... Windows 7 is stable & reliable (compared to all of their past Operating Systems).

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck and hope you are not down for to long.

Take care and be well

-Terry

PS: Anomaly, what computer are you using? Is it a brand name boxed system, or a custom computer you built ? If you built it, can you list out the components it has (Motherboard name, Ram amount and name, etc. ). I ask because we can try and rule out your Audio Server or certain components as the problem (hardware compatibility issues with Win 8).

-
Old 06-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #43
richie43

Lol. I don't see a problem with my signature.... what in the heck happened here? For the record, I have been routinely changing my signature and using quotes from members. Simple and harmless. Cheers. Back to topic.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #44
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Reaper is a great community. Let's keep on topic and not go down this rabbit hole.
Indeedy. Thanks again coachz for another pertinent signature....
Old 06-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #45
Coachz

back on topic now
Old 06-05-2013, 03:14 AM   #46
The Telenator
Banned

Back on topic? Good. The diversion totally wiped my train of thought clean earlier. Perhaps my pearls of wisdom will return to me but, meanwhile, at least I won't have to worry about Mephistopheles and gang suddenly appearing to grab any of you by the leg and drag you down and away to the region of Windows NT and other failed OS' whose worm will not die.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #47
Coachz

Old 06-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #48
The Telenator
Banned

Double +1 for using cats! (even though, strictly speaking, cats are off-topic too) So, where were we?
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #49
Coachz

i blew it as usual.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #50
stumpbroke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaburst View Post
Hi richie43
In other words... just because Jesus pranced around in nightgowns in the water with a bunch of other single men with no underwear on doesn't mean he was gay." Lawrence

Please let me remind you that this Jesus gave His life for you the Blood that was pored from Jesus when He was on the Cross was for you, me and the rest of the world for the cleansing of our wrongs (sins) but it dose not stop there for this same Jesus will come to earth again not as a sacrifice but as the King of Kings and Lord of Lords and every one shall fall to there nee and confess with there tong that Jesus Christ is Lord.

on that day those who don't believe will run to the rocks and say fall on us, they shall say hide us from His face,

Who is able to stand on the great and terrible Judgment day of God
richie43 are you able to stand on that day, can you with stand the wrath and judgment of God?

For the word of God says after death comes the Judgment weather you believe or not Judgment will come.

richie43 putting such statements on your posts for every one to see is Blasphemy, it does not matter who quoted it the statement is a lie, in know where in the bible is there a scripture or verse stating what Lawrence has quoted, but you willingly aline your self up with this cursed man with out a second thought you have become a curse and you will bring that curse onto all those who love you if you continue with that statement.

Its funny you know" how people make such shameful statements about Christ who has done them nothing but good and offer eternal life.

you would not do that to the Muslim faith or make a statement like that about there prophet would you, but you shamelessly leave such statements about the one who gave His life for you.

tell me richie43 are you of those devils that willingly go down to the pit of Hell and suffer eternal torment in the presence of God and His angels, have you no fear of God or have you no shame.

I also say shame to the moderator and all those who believe in the second coming of Jesus Christ for allowing such statements to continue.

Yes this forum is about Daws, yes this forum is about music, yes this forum is about OS, and plugins and mixers.

But under no circumstance should this forum be about bringing shame to God and His Christ in no form what so ever.
what.....one should take his medication....I mean...did i miss somrthing here?
stumpbroke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #51
Tod

Okay, actually getting back to the subject..

Is there any way to customize Win-8 to work more like Win-7.

> An actual Start button where you can subsequently get to anything on the computer. (I don't particularly care for the way all the programs are splashed across the screen and you have to scroll to find what you want.)

> I would like to have it setup Desk Top style pretty much all the time. (I don't like the way a sort of menu comes up when you get the cursor over to the right side of the screen.)

> So far trying to setup the folders the way I want them is a pain, I can't seem to get them set the way I like. In all honesty I probably need to work with this a little more.

> One other thing that's important for me is to be able to set it all up with no administrator what so ever at any time. I want to be able to turn my computer on, go anywhere, do anything, and never be asked about anything having to do with Administrator.

Hopefully I will have a little time to play around with my wife's computer, maybe some of my questions will become a lot clearer.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #52
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Okay, actually getting back to the subject..

Is there any way to customize Win-8 to work more like Win-7.

> An actual Start button where you can subsequently get to anything on the computer. (I don't particularly care for the way all the programs are splashed across the screen and you have to scroll to find what you want.)

> I would like to have it setup Desk Top style pretty much all the time. (I don't like the way a sort of menu comes up when you get the cursor over to the right side of the screen.)

> So far trying to setup the folders the way I want them is a pain, I can't seem to get them set the way I like. In all honesty I probably need to work with this a little more.

> One other thing that's important for me is to be able to set it all up with no administrator what so ever at any time. I want to be able to turn my computer on, go anywhere, do anything, and never be asked about anything having to do with Administrator.

Hopefully I will have a little time to play around with my wife's computer, maybe some of my questions will become a lot clearer.
- The start button is coming back in 8.1 but its not going to be what Coachz needs.

- I think it will be able to boot straight to desktop in 8.1 but don't quote me. I can't remember how that was implemented based on the article I skimmed the other day. For those that don't know the escape key is the polar opposite of the Windows key, it always takes you back to the classic desktop which is pretty handy.

- Can you elaborate on the folders problem? Maybe I can help.

- I don't get the administrator desire. For user apps such as reaper it should be exactly as you asked. For admin type things such as admin stuff and changing system settings it would slightly idiotic to go that route. Sorry if that is stern sounding but the malware/virus/security fiasco from the XP days is the perfect lesson on how bad of an idea that is.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-05-2013 at 01:05 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #53
richie43

I use a 3rd part shell called "Classic Shell". It gave me my start button, start menu, and I boot straight to the desktop. I am very wary of installing anything, especially a shell like this. But after taking a very thorough image of my fresh OS, I installed this 4 months ago and love it. I have 99% of the feel of 7 with the improvements of 8.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #54
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
I use a 3rd part shell called "Classic Shell". It gave me my start button, start menu, and I boot straight to the desktop. I am very wary of installing anything, especially a shell like this. But after taking a very thorough image of my fresh OS, I installed this 4 months ago and love it. I have 99% of the feel of 7 with the improvements of 8.
You know, the idea of "straight to desktop" never enters my mind because I have dual monitors at home and quad monitors at work; the moment I click anything on the right monitor (which has the classic desktop at boot) the left one with metro disappears anyway. IOW, it really more of an issue with single monitor users I imagine except for very high maintenance types YMMV (which in no way hints at you being high maintenance!).

The new menu bothers me some but not too much. It has more to do with being too lazy to type actually because if I weren't that method is silly more efficient barring the habit of clicking the menu and chasing the tree but that is entirely dependent on the individual. The Win key/Escape key combo is just too fast once used to.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #55
Tod

Thanks Karbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
- The start button is coming back in 8.1 but its not going to be what Coachz needs.
Okay, any idea when this might happen?

Quote:
- I think it will be able to boot straight to desktop in 8.1 but don't quote me. I can't remember how that was implemented based on the article I skimmed the other day. For those that don't know the escape key is the polar opposite of the Windows key, it always takes you back to the classic desktop which is pretty handy.
Great, that's a major tip with the ESC button. Heh heh, I can see it all now, the first time I hit ESC my wife's going to say, "what'd you do???"

Quote:
- Can you elaborate on the folders problem? Maybe I can help.
Well with XP you had "Folders" and it would toggle back-n-forth between showing the folders on the left and not showing them. I haven't figured out how to do that with Win-8 yet but I'm sure it's there. I also like to have it set up so that every folder uses Details instead of Icons and I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Here again, I'm sure it's just a matter of me digging in a little further.

Quote:
- I don't get the administrator desire. For user apps such as reaper it should be exactly as you asked. For admin type things such as admin stuff and changing system settings it would slightly idiotic to go that route. Sorry if that is stern sounding but the malware/virus/security fiasco from the XP days is the perfect lesson on how bad of an idea that is.
Actually all my computers that I use for my studio are not and have never been connected to the net. However, I wasn't aware that Administrative Privileges also protected your computer from the net, is that right? I thought they were strictly for personal computer privacy.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #56
richie43

Quote:
You know, the idea of "straight to desktop" never enters my mind because I have dual monitors at home and quad monitors at work; the moment I click anything on the right monitor (which has the classic desktop at boot) the left one with metro disappears anyway. IOW, it really more of an issue with single monitor users I imagine except for very high maintenance types YMMV (which in no way hints at you being high maintenance!).

The new menu bothers me some but not too much. It has more to do with being too lazy to type actually because if I weren't that method is silly more efficient barring the habit of clicking the menu and chasing the tree but that is entirely dependent on the individual. The Win key/Escape key combo is just too fast once used to.
Jerk.....

Naw, kidding. I am a lowly single monitor guy, though. So you did peg me one way or another.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #57
martygras

Quote:
It's interesting we have a 3rd party program to fix a huge company's release issues.
We should show some props to the developer of Classic Shell.

I'll start.
Hazzah.

This is a great thread though. Thanks Reap's

edit
Oh and what a great community showing such restraint. Any other forum would have been derailed completely. Tip O' the hat.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #58
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by martygras View Post
It's interesting we have a 3rd party program to fix a huge company's release issues.
We should show some props to the developer of Classic Shell.

I'll start.
Hazzah.

This is a great thread though. Thanks Reap's

edit
Oh and what a great community showing such restraint. Any other forum would have been derailed completely. Tip O' the hat.
For my needs, Classic Shell doesn't "fix" anything, it's just a preference thing. I have no serious issues with Windows 8 out of the box. I am a closet linux guy, so restructuring configs and desktops is in my blood......
Old 06-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #59
Coachz

start button 8 is very good too
Old 06-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #60
Tod

Well things were sure a lot simpler in the old days. Heh heh, can you imagine going to work today after being away for 30 years.

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed...rameborder="0"
Old 06-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #61
Anomaly

You can actually replace windows 8 explorer with the one from windows 7.
Do a search with "ex7forw8" for more info. It adds start button & start menu exactly as it was with windows 7 and also disables metro completely. The good thing is that it's all native windows code, no 3rd party solutions. Also simple to install/uninstall. I tried it in virtual machine and it seemed to be working fine.

It's been said that the new start button in upcoming windows 8.1 will be just a simple link to metro start screen. So based on that, nothing much will change.
Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #62
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
You can actually replace windows 8 explorer with the one from windows 7.
Do a search with "ex7forw8" for more info. It adds start button & start menu exactly as it was with windows 7 and also disables metro completely. The good thing is that it's all native windows code, no 3rd party solutions. Also simple to install/uninstall. I tried it in virtual machine and it seemed to be working fine.

It's been said that the new start button in upcoming windows 8.1 will be just a simple link to metro start screen. So based on that, nothing much will change.
That's very interesting info. Thanks, I am already reading up on this!

Edit;
This is a 3rd part app though. Here is a link from the guy who developed it. You do still need to install an app, and even the dev refers to it as "a hack". Maybe a safe one, but it IS a hack. It says that you need a Windows 7 install disc as well, so that may also deter people. But according to the dev, who is not Microsoft, this is indeed a 3rd party app that needs to be installed. I am glad for you that it works, but it doesn't sound any better than other shells like Classic Shell.

Last edited by richie43; 06-06-2013 at 06:38 AM.
richie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #63
Anomaly

Quote:
That's very interesting info. Thanks, I am already reading up on this!

Edit;
This is a 3rd part app though. Here is a link from the guy who developed it. You do still need to install an app, and even the dev refers to it as "a hack". Maybe a safe one, but it IS a hack. It says that you need a Windows 7 install disc as well, so that may also deter people. But according to the dev, who is not Microsoft, this is indeed a 3rd party app that needs to be installed. I am glad for you that it works, but it doesn't sound any better than other shells like Classic Shell.
Practically what the program does is that it install W7 explorer from your W7 installation disk and plugs it into windows 8. The installation method of this is 3rd party indeed. But the actual functionality comes from original microsoft w7 explorer. That's what I meant. Explorer, start menu and start button will be original W7 product, not 3rd party remake.
Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #64
ivansc

I got rid of most of the "App" squares and then just use the Desktop square to get to the.........Desktop!
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #65
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
Practically what the program does is that it install W7 explorer from your W7 installation disk and plugs it into windows 8. The installation method of this is 3rd party indeed. But the actual functionality comes from original microsoft w7 explorer. That's what I meant. Explorer, start menu and start button will be original W7 product, not 3rd party remake.
I wasn't bad talking your ideas, I just was throwing in some info I found. Classic Shell has been easy and fine for me, but I am still looking into that one. I don't have a 7 install disc though, so maybe I can't do much about it. But what still bothers me about the one you are using is that while yes, it uses Microsoft code and all, this is still an app designed by a 3rd party person and not supported by Microsoft. The site that I linked to with the dev's comments also has some warnings that I don't care to deal with. If it works for you though, have at it!

Last edited by richie43; 06-06-2013 at 09:54 AM.
richie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #66
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I got rid of most of the "App" squares and then just use the Desktop square to get to the.........Desktop!
Hi ivan, do you still have access to all the apps and programs that you don't have on your desk top?

Does the ESC option Karbo mentioned, not work for you?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #67
Tod

Quote:
Quote:
Actually all my computers that I use for my studio are not and have never been connected to the net. However, I wasn't aware that Administrative Privileges also protected your computer from the net, is that right? I thought they were strictly for personal computer privacy.
I'm still wondering about this, does Administrative Privileges also protected your computer when you're on the net? I've never had Administrative Privileges on any of my computers before and really don't know anything about it.

Also, has anyone had any problems with 3rd party FX or VSTis in either 32-bit or 64-bit with Win-8?

To carry that a little further, are there any apps or programs that work with Win-7 that doesn't work with Win-8, and/or, could there be any problems running programs that work with both XP and Win-7?

I want to thank everyone, I think my decision for Win-7 or Win-8 is becoming finalized.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #68
msundh

Win 7: Click start button, click all programs, click cockos, click reaper
Win 8: Press Win key, type REA, Enter
I really love Win 8 when it comes to start program. Don't miss the start menu a bit.
msundh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #69
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
I really love Win 8 when it comes to start program. Don't miss the start menu a bit.
Heh heh, I'm an old fart with an old fart brain, I'd rather not have to type anything.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #70
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
the voice of reason...

no one moans about OSX not having a start button!!

loving windows 8 here

MC
Old 06-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #71
Coachz

i have reaper pinned to the taskbar in win 7 so for me to open Reaper I follow these detailed steps.

1. Click reaper icon on taskbar.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #72
karbomusic

Quote:
I'm still wondering about this, does Administrative Privileges also protected your computer when you're on the net?
Well not running with them absolutely offers protection from the net (to what extent is irrelevant). If there were no net to connect to there would be much less reason to be protected because you wouldn't be connected to other computers and all the net is, is connecting to any of millions of other computers.

Not actively running with "god" rights means a malicious piece of code coming from the net (if it gets in) can't piggy back on those rights and take you and your computer to the cleaners. Its that simple. You'll hear plenty one liners stating all the reasons this doesn't matter but that's just background noise in the same way that you wouldn't leave your car unlocked with your checkbook and some cash lying on the seat on a busy street with the windows down. You'd lock it and hide the cash; does that completely prevent the risk of your cash being stolen? no, does that make you decide not to lock it? I doubt it because not losing your valuables is more important than trying to prove to oneself or others how safe/unsafe locking your car is.

Like anything posted on the net, there will be million posted reasons why one shouldn't attempt to do the right thing but that distraction doesn't change a thing.

Quote:
I've never had Administrative Privileges on any of my computers before and really don't know anything about it.
You have/do but don't really know what it means etc., actually you'd have to have admin rights temporarily to even install a program and so on. And in earlier OS' everyone was admin all the time.

We are entering an age where knowing how to operate a computer and doing so safely IS going to be, if not already a necessary skill in most developed areas of the world. It's no longer one of those things you can say "I'll just avoid them, don't use 'em don't need 'em". Those days are pretty much over or soon to be over. Its the new literacy where there used to be a time when it was OK to not know how to read, it is going to be that important if not already where purposely knowing nothing about computers will be the equivalent of not knowing how to read, tell time or use a telephone.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-06-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #73
karbomusic

Quote:
i have reaper pinned to the taskbar in win 7 so for me to open Reaper I follow these detailed steps.

1. Click reaper icon on taskbar.
Probably not a good example since I do the exact same thing in the exact same way in Win8. The entire start menu thing only comes into play for apps that don't have shortcuts on the classic desktop or taskbar so unless someone uses 50 different programs in a day and don't really know the names of any of them, there is no difference other than being used to one method over the other which I certainly respect but the old way of finding an app in the start menu is very much slower in every way imagineable.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #74
Coachz

i use sTabLauncher for all my other apps.

Check Mate.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #75
karbomusic

Quote:
i use sTabLauncher for all my other apps.

Check Mate.
Further proof of my point that the classic start menu is slow and antiquated. ��
Old 06-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #76
richie43

Quote:
...so unless someone uses 50 different programs in a day and don't really know the names of any of them...
And that is why I have a 3rd party app to give me my start menu. I tried to adapt to the whole metro thing for over 2 weeks. I like to work with the OS and all of it's offerings (any OS I am using), but I was really stumbling when I couldn't remember quickly what something was called... I feel like things are faster having the good old standard desktop staring at me when I boot my DAW.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #77
Coachz

you are correct

Quote:
Further proof of my point that the classic start menu is slow and antiquated. ��
Old 06-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #78
karbomusic

Quote:
And that is why I have a 3rd party app to give me my start menu. I tried to adapt to the whole metro thing for over 2 weeks. I like to work with the OS and all of it's offerings (any OS I am using), but I was really stumbling when I couldn't remember quickly what something was called... I feel like things are faster having the good old standard desktop staring at me when I boot my DAW.
Two whole weeks? You must have been exhausted.

If one can't remember what its called they still are reduced to looking at text/icons and trying to decide if "that's it!". Now that's my clinical take on it. My personal take is use what feels best to you that's why there's two, everybody's happy.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #79
richie43

Quote:
Two whole weeks? You must have been exhausted.

If one can't remember what its called they still are reduced to looking at text/icons and trying to decide if "that's it!". Now that's my clinical take on it. My personal take is use what feels best to you that's why there's two, everybody's happy.
My 2 weeks was not spent trying to remember names, it was spent trying to get comfortable typing instead of clicking on the rare app that I stumbled on typing. So yeah, it's not a speed thing for me since most of the things I do are Reaper anyway (I think I can remember "rea..."). I just feel more productive when I am not trying to relearn something as basic as how to open something. It doesn't help that I was goofy enough to upgrade to 8 when I was literally in the middle of (as in only half done) the album I was already 6 months into and was antsy to get busy. I'm a goofball.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #80
Lawrence

Good Win 8 discussion.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote