Old 01-17-2022, 09:11 AM   #1
Junolab
Human being with feelings

Default Default theme and dark mode on MacOS

Am I the only one having issues with running Reaper in dark mode (advanced setting > Allow 10.14+ dark mode...) where the background is still white in the modals incl white text in white buttons?

Junolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:17 AM   #2
Ideosound

Are you using the default theme? I'm not sure but I think all dark mode does is make the window top bars dark etc. There should be a proper official dark mode version of the default theme included IMO. Try searching for a dark mode theme and see if that works for you.

Last edited by Ideosound; 01-18-2022 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Incorrect info regarding theme
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:28 AM   #3
Ideosound

Try this and see if it helps - https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=228668
Old 01-18-2022, 04:09 AM   #4
Junolab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideosound View Post
Are you using the default theme? I'm not sure but I think all dark mode does is make the window top bars dark etc, the actual theme won't make all of the windows dark (which is annoying agreed). Mainly as they are themed in the theme itself. There should be a proper official dark mode version of the default theme included IMO. Try searching for a dark mode theme and see if that works for you.
Thanks! It's the default theme, so it's a bit weird the implementation is so lacking. True another theme could be the solution (incl the one you link to) but I worry a bit about the potential lack of updates for custom templates. Also most aren't hires do that's a hard choice for someone doing design for a living
Old 01-18-2022, 06:56 AM   #5
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junolab View Post
Thanks! It's the default theme, so it's a bit weird the implementation is so lacking. True another theme could be the solution (incl the one you link to) but I worry a bit about the potential lack of updates for custom templates. Also most aren't hires do that's a hard choice for someone doing design for a living
I'm not sure what you mean regarding 'worry a bit about the potential lack of updates for custom templates' I'd recommend checking out the smooth 6 theme if you are a designer plus I think it is hi res.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:02 AM   #6
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Its nothing to do with any theme. Themes do not have control over those colours.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:07 AM   #7
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Its nothing to do with any theme. Themes do not have control over those colours.
I'm confused how do some themes have the windows all dark with white text if that isn't done in the theme itself? From what I remember, Reaper officially supporting dark mode meant we could finally get rid of the top bar on windows being light if the rest of the window was dark.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:11 AM   #8
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

What themes?
Old 01-18-2022, 11:20 AM   #9
vsgrt

Quote:
Untrue.

OP: you can go to the "Theme tweaker" in the actions menu and adjust it there.

Mine looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/h66rXM2.png
vsgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:17 AM   #10
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

I'll rephrase : themes have no way of knowing you are in dark mode nor using that to control colours.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:57 AM   #11
Junolab

Quote:
What themes?
The default theme is not working correctly with dark mode for me in macOS (tested over several versions). Many buttons are light with white font. Nothing custom here and I believe all settings to be standard as well.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:31 AM   #12
Ideosound

Quote:
The default theme is not working correctly with dark mode for me in macOS (tested over several versions). Many buttons are light with white font. Nothing custom here and I believe all settings to be standard as well.
Did you try this dark version of the default theme to see if your issue is resolved? https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=228668

It doesn't look much if any different to the default theme, except the window colours have been changed via theme tweaker so they better match everything being dark. I don't think there is an official dark version of the default theme shipped with Reaper. I feel there should be but that's another job for White Tie; which I'm sure he hasn't the time for, after already designing the default V6 theme.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:51 AM   #13
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
This is my point; that is working correctly, or as correctly as it is able. A theme has no means of knowing that you are in 'dark mode' so is incapable of doing anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideosound View Post
I don't think there is an official dark version of the default theme shipped with Reaper. I feel there should be but that's another job for White Tie; which I'm sure he hasn't the time for, after already designing the default V6 theme.
Its not a matter of time, its that I do one theme that compromises to mostly look right in all circumstances, and then make it as easy to tweak as possible, which several people already have. Linux Reaper has had dark (or indeed whatever colour) furniture since forever, OSX Reaper has more recently learned 'dark mode', Windows still needs OS skinning ...none of this is communicated to the theme. I'm hopeful we'll get there eventually, the v6 theme was designed to accommodate if/when the time comes.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:29 AM   #14
PhelixK

Quote:
hmm, I'm running macOS 10.14, and here the dark UI mode works okay with the default theme. Only the Fx browser seems to get stuck with light background, it happens if the system mode is toggled more than once.

The Fx window background changes correct after restarting in dark mode, or alternatively if I:
- dock the Fx browser, close the window tab, and reopen Fx [Shift + F]

* just to be certain: Make sure you are actually loading the latest version of the original Default 6 ReaperTheme, were the setting to not use window theming on macOS dark mode is now checked by default. In case a child theme was saved before v6.42, the setting is off and REAPER will render the defined theme colors. As already mentioned, the setting can be verified and changed inside the theme development/tweaker window, filter for "dark mode" or just "mac".

Old 01-21-2022, 08:23 AM   #15
Justin
Administrator

Fixing some bugs with some controls not updating when switching between dark/light modes... (macOS itself has some bugs relating to this that we have to work around, sigh)
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 02:50 AM   #16
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Fixing some bugs with some controls not updating when switching between dark/light modes... (macOS itself has some bugs relating to this that we have to work around, sigh)
Amazing thanks, I noticed the 6.49 Reaper release some of the UI has been improved (on mac), addressing the square behind the knob control (now removed on the FX window wet/dry knob) but can we go further and have fixes for the IO window, Media Explorer and all plugins that use a knob?

Must be to do with some improvements here:

fix knob background drawing after switching to/from dark-mode
fix Metal issue where an occluded window would end up stale on M1/macOS 12