Old 09-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
naturalbridge
Human being with feelings

Default Tracking with wireless headphones?

Anyone do this and if so, have any suggestions on any specific headphones that fit the bill? Any issues with latency, range, etc?
Old 09-24-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
ashcat_lt

I went out and bought a "tour guide kit" from Amazon. It's a little FM transmitter and ten cheap little radios. The ear buds that came with are really nasty with no real bass at all and some pretty harsh midrange which probably would work reasonably well for human voice in a guided tour, but they're useless for music. But you can plug whatever headphones you want into them and it sounds perfectly fine. Not maybe good enough to mix on, but plenty for tracking.

The original thought was that my band might use them for in-ear monitors on stage, but I used them a couple months ago for a tracking date, and it was soooo nice not having to run all those headphone cables across the basement and back. The radios don't get super loud, but with closed back CAD phones I keep around, it worked well for a fairly loud rock band.

If it's just for you, you obviously wouldn't need ten of the receivers. Heck, you could use about any FM radio you can find, and add more as necessary.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:40 AM   #3
flipotto

That gives me a weird idea.
I work at a high school and we have a Williams Sound Fm transmitter, in the auditorium, for patrons that can't hear very well.
There is a bank of rechargeable receivers (16) and perhaps these could be used as IEM system for the musical we do in the spring... need perhaps using earbuds...

No one has asked for a receiver in years, but we still have the system....
I have been considering floor monitors but this might be better and easier to control feedback.
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote