Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
fez
Human being with feelings

Default Click on an envelope point and move just that point, regardless of other selections

I simply would like to move a single envelope point by left-drag in one-click.

But if I have other points selected, they also move and result in unexpected things happening that I'd never ever want to happen. The reason that other points get selected is because Reaper often selects points automatically -- for example, when left-dragging on a segment while you are within the borders of a time selection, thereby creating a new segment. I just would never want those two newly created points to be selected. (Or can they automatically be deselected when I let go of the mouse?) I bet I missed a mouse modifier setting somewhere, or perhaps another global setting on when points get automatically selected.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
copacetic

Holy shit!

I just logged on to the forum with the express purpose of asking for precisely the same thing!

What are the chances?

Old 06-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
copacetic

So, to clarify, I don't want to have to select that point manually, this becomes tiresome very quickly.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:57 AM   #4
copacetic

I thought perhaps a way to half-solve this issue, would be if I could select an envelope point on double click, but I don't even seem to be able to do that.

Any ideas anyone?

Also, regarding envelope points, how do you guys go about easily selecting a range of them, I'm finding this all incredibly fiddly.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
Viente

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
Also, regarding envelope points, how do you guys go about easily selecting a range of them, I'm finding this all incredibly fiddly.
Ummm....easy

[img]http://img543.**************/img543/6202/envselection.gif[/img]
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
copacetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viente View Post
Ummm....easy
Heh, perhaps I should have elaborated.

Although, in retrospect, I am not sure what I was trying to ask. It had something to do with selecting points within a time selection or something...

I am at the point where my fragile brain is giving in.

The bottom line, is that I find automation trying in Reaper, for some reason, I just regularly find myself intuitively wanting to do something in a certain way, and sometimes I can figure out how to do it, but other times, with often simple things, as with the question in the OP, it doesn't seem possible.

Thanks though, for your answer.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:25 AM   #7
nofish

Not sure if it helps you and not exactly what you want but a little trick I learned from gofer iirc.
To quickly unselct all envelope points I draw a tiny rectangle with rightclick+drag in an envelope area where there are no envelope points.

nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #8
copacetic

Cool, thanks, that helps.

It would be kickass though, if we could have the option to click on a point, while automatically deselecting any other points!

Right?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
ned

'Unselect all...' keyboard shortcut (command+shift+a for mac, ctrl+shift+a for win?) Not automatic, but almost if you got your other hand on the keyboard.
ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
copacetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned View Post
'Unselect all...' keyboard shortcut (command+shift+a for mac, ctrl+shift+a for win?) Not automatic, but almost if you got your other hand on the keyboard.
It's probably easier to do this by the method shown by nofish, I reckon.

Thanks though!

At least it's become clear that it's not possible at this point to do what I would like.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
fez

Quote:
Holy shit!

I just logged on to the forum with the express purpose of asking for precisely the same thing!

What are the chances?

Damn and it's a good thing, because you had graphics ready to go. I'm just too lazy. I will give you the honors of starting an FR for this? I had already searched the forums before asking so I'm pretty sure there isn't one already established.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Not sure if it helps you and not exactly what you want but a little trick I learned from gofer iirc.
To quickly unselct all envelope points I draw a tiny rectangle with rightclick+drag in an envelope area where there are no envelope points.

Thanks for replying. Your graphic perfectly shows how you could have saved three mouse movements, if there were some way to simply have all points deselected automatically upon left-drag. I'm sure an engineer or hobbyist could make 500 - 1000 point edits in a day, so of course I don't have to explain how much time this could save. I might try your method in the meantime. Because even though clicking in an empty part of the envelope lane will also deselect points, sometimes it doesn't work on the first click. Then I'm clicking three times instead of (hopefully one day) just once.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fez View Post
Your graphic perfectly shows how you could have saved three mouse movements, if there were some way to simply have all points deselected automatically upon left-drag.
Agreed of course.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #13
fez

Hey you'll never guess what I discovered! nofish I think you would have gotten away with just left-dragging in your example, because this behavior seems to occur when you try to move one of multiple points that are all already selected. Reaper does deselect all points on left-click/drag in some situations, which is encouraging. It makes our request easy to implement.

And maybe all of us can agree that this behavior is needed sometimes, like when we make the selections ourselves. Or if you've drawn a curve that happens to be within the confines of the time selection. In this case it seems that all points within the time selection get selected. It's Reaper's way of preserving the shape of the curve as it gets moved. Personally I rely on this and use it a lot, so I'm glad I caught/remembered this.

So......I think an FR would really be asking for a checkable option that read "Deselect edge points and points within segment created from Left-dragging within time selection upon mouse up (whatever its called when you release the left mouse button)." That is horribly worded so it needs some work. Actually to be more precise I think we'd rather not deselect all the time, but to simply return the points to whatever state they were in before they were moved. Maybe it's easier just to add a left-drag mouse modifier action "deselect all points and move clicked point only, ignoring other selected points." Yeah, much easier to read, and probably quicker and easier to code. The one for left-click would be similarly worded.

copacetic what do you think? If you aren't up for wrtiing an FR, do you mind if I quote your clarity sentence, and borrow your gif if I decide to myself?

Last edited by fez; 06-14-2012 at 07:43 PM.
fez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #14
copacetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fez View Post
Hey you'll never guess what I discovered! nofish I think you would have gotten away with just left-dragging in your example, because this behavior seems to occur when you try to move one of multiple points that are all already selected. Reaper does deselect all points on left-click/drag in some situations, which is encouraging. It makes our request easy to implement.

And maybe all of us can agree that this behavior is needed sometimes, like when we make the selections ourselves. Or if you've drawn a curve that happens to be within the confines of the time selection. In this case it seems that all points within the time selection get selected. It's Reaper's way of preserving the shape of the curve as it gets moved. Personally I rely on this and use it a lot, so I'm glad I caught/remembered this.

So......I think an FR would really be asking for a checkable option that read "Deselect edge points and points within segment created from Left-dragging within time selection upon mouse up (whatever its called when you release the left mouse button)." That is horribly worded so it needs some work. Actually to be more precise I think we'd rather not deselect all the time, but to simply return the points to whatever state they were in before they were moved. Maybe it's easier just to add a left-drag mouse modifier action "deselect all points and move clicked point only, ignoring other selected points." Yeah, much easier to read, and probably quicker and easier to code. The one for left-click would be similarly worded.

copacetic what do you think? If you aren't up for wrtiing an FR, do you mind if I quote your clarity sentence, and borrow your gif if I decide to myself?
Feel free, sir.

The bolded bit is precisely the modifier I was looking for, so that would be my ideal solution!

*edit*

Although, reading your post again, I think what I'd want is to keep the points deselected, aside from the one I've clicked on and just moved.

So, perhaps 2 new modifiers, your suggestion, as well as: 'deselect all points and move clicked point only'

I'm trying to figure out though, whether I'd want that clicked point itself selected afterwards, I don't think it would matter... Although I've just woken up, am a bit bewildered still.

Last edited by copacetic; 06-15-2012 at 12:17 AM.
copacetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #15
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post

Nofish, this is an incredible good tip, i wasn't aware of !

But, for me, when i am previewing an item in repeat play mode, while fiddling around with envelope points, your trick will set the loop points again and they won't be around the previewed item; non desirable behaviour for me.
So i have to look for another default mouse modifier action for right drag, which still suits me.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #16
Lawrence

Quote:
The bottom line, is that I find automation trying in Reaper, for some reason, I just regularly find myself intuitively wanting to do something in a certain way, and sometimes I can figure out how to do it, but other times, with often simple things, as with the question in the OP, it doesn't seem possible.
If I follow you correctly, I agree. If you have (for example) 10 media clips selected and then you click one, you then have the one clip selected, the one you clicked. Editing, if consistent, should work much the same way everywhere.

Take note that in all of those cases mouse down is the collective edit (mouse down + drag to move all selected things for example) while 'click" should be isolated selection and if it works that way anywhere else, it should work that way everywhere (contextually speaking, for things that apply).

Continuity.

All of the above assumes what you say is true, I haven't confirmed it.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #17
divedive

Is there a solution for this?
Is there a way to simply click and drag on a media item envelope point and only move that one?
(Deselecting points automatically)
divedive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:34 PM   #18
profquad

I know this is old, but it still bothers me. I have to use my unselect all hotkey everytime, if I forget, I end up moving some envelope point way off screen without know it til later. It's super frustrating! If I wanted to select multiple points, I would press shift.
profquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:20 PM   #19
Utor

Quote:
Originally Posted by profquad View Post
I know this is old, but it still bothers me. I have to use my unselect all hotkey everytime, if I forget, I end up moving some envelope point way off screen without know it til later. It's super frustrating! If I wanted to select multiple points, I would press shift.
Is there a solution for this yet?
Utor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 07:13 AM   #20
Philbo King

I just got into the habit of always using R click + drag to select a point (or anything else), because doing that automatically deselects everything else.