Old 07-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
InfiniteDimensionality
Human being with feelings

Default Free item positioning item size

I used to be able to change the item size of an audio item when in free position mode so more items could fit. Selecting the item would bring up the grab handlers so the items height could be changed.

Any ideas why I can't do this now? Is it a setting, special key or something? (I can't remember what shortcut, if any and I've tried all the standard combos I use)
InfiniteDimensionality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:47 AM   #2
DarkStar

? There is already a grab handle in the bottom centre of each item. Doesn't that do what you want?
Old 07-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
InfiniteDimensionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
? There is already a grab handle in the bottom centre of each item. Doesn't that do what you want?
I reopened the project and it now shows them... may have just been me or been a glitch.

Last edited by InfiniteDimensionality; 07-10-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #4
InfiniteDimensionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDimensionality View Post
I reopened the project and it now shows them... may have just been me or been a glitch.
OK, it happened again and I screwed around clicking on items and stuff and the handlers showed up. Seems to be a glitch in showing them. I closed reaper and re opened the project and they were there. I guess I will have to take a screen show just to prove that I'm not making this up.

It seems that reaper does not show the handler if one is zoomed out enough, while I was zoomed in and they just appeared after clicking on something, when I zoom out some of the handlers disappear. It may whatever code checks to display the handlers might be buggy at times or get wrong information(such as the zoom level) and hides them.

And here is the proof:

Note that when they appear I was not actually doing anything. It took them a long time to appear. Let's see if proof can move mountains!

Last edited by InfiniteDimensionality; 07-12-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #5
hopi

well they seem to to show fine for me.... however is you are zoomed to where the items are very small they don't show since there is no visual room for them ...

and that said, if zoomed in to where the items are very large you have to move around the item to find the handles in the bottom middle only
Old 07-15-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
InfiniteDimensionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
well they seem to to show fine for me.... however is you are zoomed to where the items are very small they don't show since there is no visual room for them ...

and that said, if zoomed in to where the items are very large you have to move around the item to find the handles in the bottom middle only
...regardless this is a bug. The video clearly shows how the handles just appear for no reason when they should have been there all along. Once they appear all the things you mentioned are irrelevant so I should not have to fiddle around to get them to appear. Sometimes it happens quick, sometimes slow.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #7
hopi

I don't see the 'video' you mention... I do see a static image but no video
Old 07-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #8
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
...regardless this is a bug.
m8-not sure if thatis a bugya -a lot of stuff in reaper is totally zoom dependant=appy dayz.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:57 PM   #9
EpicSounds

Quote:
I don't see the 'video' you mention... I do see a static image but no video
did you try to click it? the pic is a preview of a long gif

the bug is pretty clear

@InfiniteDimensionality - there were some changes to free item positioning recently, if you have the time please try in an older version of reaper (example 5.50) to duplicate the bug.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #10
InfiniteDimensionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
did you try to click it? the pic is a preview of a long gif

the bug is pretty clear

@InfiniteDimensionality - there were some changes to free item positioning recently, if you have the time please try in an older version of reaper (example 5.50) to duplicate the bug.
That's quite an old version. I'm using 5.91. I never had this problem before but I don't use free item positioning much. So, it probably has to do with the recent changes. Whatever checks that are used to show the handlers are not being triggered properly. That narrows down the problem quite a bit.

I imagine the handles should always be shown for every item when free-position is set. If the visibility of the handles depends on the free item position setting of the track then it's not being updated properly.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #11
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
using 5.91. I never had this problem before .

errmm hm yeah weird--worx pretty solid on win >here< it tries to keep centered no matter what zoom goes on..never really noticed much issue with it before tbh..dunno mayng...had a few graphic glitches over the time though tbh..quite a few.. agghh-

send it love and just blame kenny m8--coz he musta broked it.=said so on the tin.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #12
InfiniteDimensionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
errmm hm yeah weird--worx pretty solid on win >here< it tries to keep centered no matter what zoom goes on..never really noticed much issue with it before tbh..dunno mayng...had a few graphic glitches over the time though tbh..quite a few.. agghh-

send it love and just blame kenny m8--coz he musta broked it.=said so on the tin.
I'm noticing that the stretch marker adjustment values are not showing up either... just like the grab handles. They did show up, of course, when I copied and pasted the item... on both(the old one that wasn't showing them then the pasted one). So, something seems to be blocking these ornaments on items.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:04 PM   #13
hopi

ok yeah well now I've seen the gif in the first post...

but the 'bug' is not really clear to me since I can't tell in the gif what is being done...

in other words is FIP set all the time or set somewhere during the gif?

what I do see, once some handles appear is that some items do not show them... I see the same thing BUT ONLY when the zoom is such that there is no room to show the handles... and even if they 'seem' to be missing, changine the zoom shows them again when it has the room on each item.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #14
InfiniteDimensionality

Quote:
ok yeah well now I've seen the gif in the first post...

but the 'bug' is not really clear to me since I can't tell in the gif what is being done...

in other words is FIP set all the time or set somewhere during the gif?

what I do see, once some handles appear is that some items do not show them... I see the same thing BUT ONLY when the zoom is such that there is no room to show the handles... and even if they 'seem' to be missing, changine the zoom shows them again when it has the room on each item.
It doesn't matter if you can tell what is being done... the point is very simple: The handles are not shown! That is all that matters. Since there is never a case where they shouldn't(given that free-item positioning requires the ability to size items, which is why the ability was added in the first place, not for fun), it means it is a bug(assuming I didn't cheat, but that is called "trust" as why would I troll a bug reporting forum).

I noted somewhere, I think, that this is happening to other ornamental information such as stretch markers stretch amounts. Basically the same thing is happening. Somewhere in the reaper code base some test for visually displaying that information is failing for some corner case... I can't think of any reason why they should fail other wise. I mean, if it were a plugin, script, system configuration, etc that would be very wrong for reaper's visual system to depend on those factors. I mean, why should the handles visibility depend on the state of my toaster?
Old 07-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #15
hopi

It may be a bug... I'm not saying you are wrong... I'm just reporting what I see here...

there are many visual elements that vanish as diff zoom levels... simply because there is not enough pixels at the screen resolution to draw them...

and that is what I see for the handles... quick example:

say I have one item that is 4 measures long and then also a few that only a quarter measure long and they are all on one FIP track... ok

when the zoom level allows room, the handles appear even on the small items... but when it is zoomed out enough they vanish on the small items but can still be seen on the longer item....

again... just reporting so you see what I'm saying here:

https://imgur.com/a/FOczDBy

If you are indeed having a diff problem, I sympathize and hope someone solves it.

Last edited by hopi; 07-19-2018 at 04:04 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:47 PM   #16
InfiniteDimensionality

Quote:
It may be a bug... I'm not saying you are wrong... I'm just reporting what I see here...

there are many visual elements that vanish as diff zoom levels... simply because there is not enough pixels at the screen resolution to draw them...

and that is what I see for the handles... quick example:

say I have one item that is 4 measures long and then also a few that only a quarter measure long and they are all on one FIP track... ok

when the zoom level allows room, the handles appear even on the small items... but when it is zoomed out enough they vanish on the small items but can still be seen on the longer item....

again... just reporting so you see what I'm saying here:

https://imgur.com/a/FOczDBy

If you are indeed having a diff problem, I sympathize and hope someone solves it.
That is not at all what I'm talking about. I'm talking about them disappearing much sooner. They are disappearing precisely because the item's width becomes less than the width of the handle... basically there is no point to show it as it would look wrong and create problems with other items.

If your handles randomly disappeared, that is effectively the problem I'm experiencing. You can see in the picture I uploaded that that are gone then appears and the width of the item is not too small.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:45 PM   #17
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
You can see in the picture I uploaded that that are gone then appears and the width of the item is not too small.

^ it appears not sooo much the width,but heights..they will disappear at a given amount of pixels high+zoom levels high+wide affect that.
if you have autoscroll enabled,when you hit play the handles will vanish after the playhead goes over half way of screen.
the handles vanish on playbacks,as programme kinda assumes>> "ok,user is done here,i am now playing,so they probably do not want to edit heights as i play" { said in computer jargon\speek\coding]
is that still a bug? dunno. seems logical+cleverish >here<
Old 07-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #18
EpicSounds

is it still happening consistently in 5.91 or later?

if so, save your project, remove all tracks except one where you see the problem, Save As (without media) and share it with us (the rpp).

What I see in 5.93:
when zooming into the edit cursor the handles are always visible, as I get closer the handles actually move to the edit cursor so they're in the center of view.
That's not what I'm seeing in your gif so something is happening.

I also notice that the waveforms are not visible for a while and that the files are mp3.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:27 PM   #19
InfiniteDimensionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
is it still happening consistently in 5.91 or later?

if so, save your project, remove all tracks except one where you see the problem, Save As (without media) and share it with us (the rpp).

What I see in 5.93:
when zooming into the edit cursor the handles are always visible, as I get closer the handles actually move to the edit cursor so they're in the center of view.
That's not what I'm seeing in your gif so something is happening.

I also notice that the waveforms are not visible for a while and that the files are mp3.

The problem is that not that they randomly disappear but that they are off for a while then at some point start working fine and seem not to disappear again. It is not as if it depends on the zoom level.

Both times I got it to work I did the same thing which was messing the free item setting(right mouse on track).

I doubt the problem can be saved in an rpp. It is either a bug in reaper, a bug in some extensions that somehow cause it. Most likely it is some weird, hard to track down bug in reaper(but it's location is probably well known since the checking of the visibility of the handles code is probably only in a few locations(if not just one). So whatever it checks for would bet he place to start. It could be something weird like the item width is being seen as 0 by the visibility checking code and so it thinks the items are so small that it doesn't have to show the handles... e.g., maybe it does this with mp3.

I haven't investigated the problem enough to know what seems to be the most likely problem. I mainly wanted to bring it to attention that something is wrong. Right now I don't use free item position much(haven't in a few years) and when I did for the first time since I was wondering why I couldn't resize the items. I thought I forgot some setting or something and so I spend several minutes trying to get it to work then they just showed up, similar to the gif. I then was able to repeat the issue by reloading the project(quitting reaper first since they showed, I think, when I just reloaded inside reaper, which suggests it is a reaper bug).

It's not a huge deal at this point for me so I won't bother with it... the ball is in the developers court. If they want to spend some time checking the consistency of a few lines of code or not... else I will wait until I experience the issue more to address it further.