Old 10-08-2021, 04:38 AM   #1
Mudchild
Human being with feelings

Default Minimum spec PC and kit for Reaper?

Hi all

I'm looking to kit out a small recording space for use with young visually impaired people who are into recording, sound, music etc. In some cases they may be using the computer themselves, in other cases I'll be doing that on their behalf. However my question is, what can we get away with on a small budget? Will basic Chromebooks run Reaper OK? The projects are not going to be super CPU intensive. Needs to be essentially decent quality though. What would you do?

Probably looking to get low cost but decent versions of:

- computers to run Reaper and other stuff
- mics for speech/singing
- XLRS, pop shields
- probably Scarlett interfaces
- MIDI keyboards and other controllers

Thanks for any input
Mudchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:48 PM   #2
airon

You‘ll find plenty of good recommendations on kit categories on YouTube.

Scarlett interfaces are front panel units. Audient iD units are top panel units. MOTU m2/m4 front. SSL 2/2+ top. Audient id14 can be extended with an inexpensive 8-channel preamp like the ADA8200 by Behringer, or a high quality unit from Audient from their ASP range.

Lewitt builds fantastic mics that are inexpensive and versatile. The LCT 040 Match and 140 Air are excellent for instruments and drums. The LCT 440 Pure is one of those mics you can record everything with.

For computers it‘s the question of pre-built, self-built and barebones. Mac Mini M1 is an excellent pre-built. Most modern barebones can handle modern recording and mixing tasks. Look for experience with specific units. Gearspace, Kvraudio and the SoundOnSound forums are good places to pop that question as well.

Best $100 midi keyboards search on YouTube gets you good feature comparisons and further links for more reviews.

Last edited by airon; 10-08-2021 at 06:57 PM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:26 AM   #3
mschnell

I don't suppse that Reaper can easily run on ChromeOS.
While I suppose that Chromebooks use ARM CPUs and ChromeOS is based on Linux and there is a Reaper version for Linux on ARM - that does run on Raspi - I believe that ChromeOs does noit grant easily access to the native Linux API that Reaper does need. (In fact -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_OS states, that Linux Apps can run on ComeOS via -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crouton_(computing) . So it might be worth a try...)
Maybe you are better off with RASP PI400 plus some Monitor.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-09-2021 at 03:43 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:43 AM   #4
cyrano

Forget Chromebooks. Look at the Raspberry Pi 400:

https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-400/

Very cheap. Very capable.
Old 10-09-2021, 05:05 AM   #5
Cosmic

Refurbished thinkpads
Old 10-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #6
Greenerpastures

I would be looking for a 2012 or there abouts Mac Mini.
Get the i5 version with 8gb ram and a good sized SSD.
There are companies that sell refurbished ones.

I have a Raspberry Pi4b with 8gb of ram, it certainly runs
reaper, but I keep having problems with it.
Exlain, the Pi was going fine, turned it off, let it sit
for two months, turned it on and wifi and ethernet would not work,
I could get no answers from the official forum, other than it seems
to happen and no one knows why, I had to install the OS again, and
during the process the main hdmi output from the board to the monitor
gave up, saw it with my own eyes, one second ok the next blank screen
stating no signal, tried another monitor same, tried another cable, same,
the board has two outputs so I got going again, but whats next, am not
depending on the Pi to be a dependable unit, getting me a Mac Mini,
more power, easy to upgrade or repair, and when all is counted up
I spent the price of a second hand Mac Mini on the Pi board, its official
power supply, a wireless keyboard, a Flirc case to house it, and a couple
of external hard drives for storage and not every hard drive or ssd drive will work either, a very expensive 128gb ssd card to hold the OS in the Pi, hdmi cables, and a fistfull of micro hdmi to hdmi and hdmi to old style monitor acbles so I could use an old monitor I have, and a mouse, it all adds up, and took forever to get delivered because of covid, or so they said, and then the hdmi socket packs in, not worth the hassle if you ask me.

An Ipad with a daw on it is much better than the Pi it has more power, and I have yet to break one, the cheap model is absolutely better than the Pi.

Last edited by Greenerpastures; 10-09-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Greenerpastures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:02 AM   #7
laser558

I have often thought that you don't have to spend a great deal of money to set something up with Reaper. In my case, I have run reaper on a second hand laptop, running windows 7, with pretty decent speed. My present home setup is with Reaper running on a second hand, HP Z400. What I like about these machines is that they have many different slots, for example, the old pci. In this, I have seated a M audio Delta Audiphile sound card. Regarding mics...well, that debate could rage on for years. I recently bought a number of very cheap Chinese mics, for location interviews. So cheap, it wouldn't matter if they got lost along the way. For my main recording I simply use a Rode NT- 1A. I understand all about budgets so let me tell you that the Z 400 was £100, the M Audio sound card, £14, a second hand amp and speakers £15, those cheap Chinese mics, around £15, to include a desk stand and pop shield. The Rode, bought new, around £150. Then the cost of Reaper, which is around £44. My setup is simple and I use it mainly for recording and editing voice and mixing with sound effects and pre-recorded music. There are so many great, free VST's out there, in addition to what comes with Reaper. I spent 27 years in a London studio making radio and tv commercials and the setup I have now, far exceeds what I ever had in the past. Good luck and keep us posted as to how things are progressing.
laser558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 03:17 PM   #8
martifingers

Encouraging to hear laser558 being so positive about how technology has progressed. Surely we have passed the point some time ago where lack of affordable equioment can be used as an excuse!
On the microphone front I would strongly recommend the Prodipe TT1 as a SM57/58 substitute. Ridiculously cheap and good. On the condenser side this has worked well for me: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...ronics-magneto again for a minsicule outlay. I am sure there are others as well.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote