Old 08-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
ShaneLessor
Human being with feelings

Default Linux NATIVE

I know this has been requested before, but I seriously wonder if Cockos has even considered providing native builds for Linux? Is there any way we can be notified of the status of Reaper in Linux? Reaper is my favorite DAW but it's also the only reason that I have Windows installed on my other partition and going between the two. Given, I have considered and acknowledged the contents of this post;

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=81772

however I find this not to be suitable to production once you get past two or so tracks, and effects alone really bog it down easily. WINE isn't sufficient for running Reaper in any serious situation, to me it's outlandish. I'm serious about my production but I'm also serious about feasibility and compatibility.

I'm also curious about this blog post:

http://www.1014.org/?article=414

Is there any way Cockos can comment on the status of a native Reaper build?

Thanks,
Shane
Old 08-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
Dali

I didn't try it but it exists...

http://www.landoleet.org/dev/

There's some kind of mandatory readme.txt but it looks too complicated for me... Maybe it's ok for you.

Dali
Old 08-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
ShaneLessor

Thanks, I'll try this out! Where on earth did these come from and why are the hosted on someone else's servers?

Edit: I see, these are Cockos's servers. Thanks!! I'll try it out!
Old 08-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
DuraMorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dali View Post
I didn't try it but it exists...
There's some kind of mandatory readme.txt but it looks too complicated for me... Maybe it's ok for you.
Dali
Take that LOL link off, please... rule #3.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
ShaneLessor

In all fairness, that site shows up in a Google search.. lol..

But I agree, if it goes against the rules best to remove it as to not cause a situation.

Also, I notice in the readme file there's light mention of using GTK. I highly recommend using GTK, it's really nice, fast and lightweight, really configurable, and most Linux users are a fan of it.

Edit: I got it working. It looks very promising and I'm glad Cockos has decided to take REAPER in this direction.

**Note: This is running NATIVE on Linux. I am not using any Windows/Mac emulation at all**

What works:

-Basic UI fuctions, all buttons (except the file menu)
-Right click menu, all works
-The building process was flawless
-Keyboard shortcuts
-Basic pop-up dialogs
-Nice fast startup, but that's probably because there's no effects to load, etc

What doesn't work:

-Any complex function
-File Menu
-Effects themselves, but I imagine that's just because they have yet to be ported
-Recording doesn't quite work, but the arming/choosing tracks, inputs, etc works great
-During the installer, line 4 'ln -s `pwd`/libSwell.so ......./REAPER/' didn't work so well, it gave a directory not found error, so I just manually copied the directory route and it worked great.
-Graphics acceleration, but I think using GTK etc would fix that
-Anything realtime, there's very minimalistic ALSA support, if any. I'm looking forward to see how JACK is incorporated into this.

In the end this is a very solid port, much better than some other software I have seen and used, I like that Cockos appears to have plans for using things like GTK, JACK, etc rather than loading it up on stuff that isn't really necessary. I'm only using the 32-bit version but I'll test out the 64-bit version when I get the chance for sure, but I don't see why it would be any different. I'm also curious to see if there will be an attempt to bridge compatibility for Windows plugins, VSTi's, etc. Either way, this is a fantastic port and really solid, very snappy. With GTK this should be much more responsive and have a better native feel. Any questions, please post them, I'd be glad to answer.

I'm using Arch Linux with Kernel 3.0, ALSA, and I'm using XFCE 4 for those who might be curious.

Last edited by ShaneLessor; 08-12-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: adding images
Old 08-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
bennisixx

all the geniuses are collaborating on this over here(swell porting).

Honestly I am holding off on my new pc purchase to see how this all pans out. I have been using my normal Ubuntu variant for most things, but just installed crunchbang and I can only imagine the speed that would be unleashed with reaper and #! Linux.

Nice work jumping on that.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
korakios

Reaper on Linux?without the need of wine?great news!
However, I think many Linux users would still use Reaper with wineasio for one main reason:
-Absolute vst support
Just an opinion!
Old 08-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
ShaneLessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennisixx View Post
all the geniuses are collaborating on this over here(swell porting).

Honestly I am holding off on my new pc purchase to see how this all pans out. I have been using my normal Ubuntu variant for most things, but just installed crunchbang and I can only imagine the speed that would be unleashed with reaper and #! Linux.

Nice work jumping on that.
Thanks! Good to see someone thinks I know what I'm doing. Hahaha

REAPER in WINE is just far too slow once you want to do serious work. The audio lags, etc. Anyone who has tried it should know this. I'm not talking 2, or 5 tracks, I'm talking like, 25 tracks, like any decent production. Also, I find Debian based distros to all be a little too Ubuntu-ish. Debian itself I find is really nice, but it's unnecessarily heavy. If you're looking for something really lightweight, like bare minimum (which would be great for production), you may want to check out Arch or Gentoo. Gentoo would be insanely fast and light, (it compiles every package from source) but Gentoo is really hardcore, takes a long time to set up. Arch is the same thing but it's a lot less 'bare linux kernel' if you know what I mean.

Nevertheless, if Cockos goes through with this native REAPER on Linux, I'd more that happily build a $2300 workstation computer with the intent of having it as my production machine. (I'd get one of those multi-processor workstation motherboards with two AMD 12 core processors (because by the time this happens, they'll be well available..) 32 GB Ram, multiple PCI-SSDs, man this would be an awesome machine, but I'd only build it if Reaper was available native on Linux. Let's face it, Windows is way too heavy for production. Plus Windows hyperthreading sucks, and Mac is just not for me. (Or anyone).. Haha

Oh, and @korakios, if Reaper was available on Linux, that might encourage developers of VST plugins to develop for Linux as well. Maybe we'd even see Pro Tools on Linux one day.

Last edited by ShaneLessor; 08-13-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
bennisixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneLessor View Post
Thanks! Good to see someone thinks I know what I'm doing. Hahaha

REAPER in WINE is just far too slow once you want to do serious work. The audio lags, etc. Anyone who has tried it should know this. I'm not talking 2, or 5 tracks, I'm talking like, 25 tracks, like any decent production. Also, I find Debian based distros to all be a little too Ubuntu-ish. Debian itself I find is really nice, but it's unnecessarily heavy. If you're looking for something really lightweight, like bare minimum (which would be great for production), you may want to check out Arch or Gentoo. Gentoo would be insanely fast and light, (it compiles every package from source) but Gentoo is really hardcore, takes a long time to set up. Arch is the same thing but it's a lot less 'bare linux kernel' if you know what I mean.

Nevertheless, if Cockos goes through with this native REAPER on Linux, I'd more that happily build a $2300 workstation computer with the intent of having it as my production machine. (I'd get one of those multi-processor workstation motherboards with two AMD 12 core processors (because by the time this happens, they'll be well available..) 32 GB Ram, multiple PCI-SSDs, man this would be an awesome machine, but I'd only build it if Reaper was available native on Linux. Let's face it, Windows is way too heavy for production. Plus Windows hyperthreading sucks, and Mac is just not for me. (Or anyone).. Haha

Oh, and @korakios, if Reaper was available on Linux, that might encourage developers of VST plugins to develop for Linux as well. Maybe we'd even see Pro Tools on Linux one day.
since I really like open-box as a DE, (gnome is nice, but heavy and xfce has weird problems with multiple monitors in my experience. I found arch bang and will give it a go. (plus I can install reaper and arch-bang on a usb card and have it portable too novelty I know )

and who knows, someone could make a vst wrapper for wine that plugs into reaper but only runs wine for plugins( dedicated process kind of thing)dreaming
Old 08-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennisixx View Post
since I really like open-box as a DE, (gnome is nice, but heavy and xfce has weird problems with multiple monitors in my experience. I found arch bang and will give it a go. (plus I can install reaper and arch-bang on a usb card and have it portable too novelty I know )

and who knows, someone could make a vst wrapper for wine that plugs into reaper but only runs wine for plugins( dedicated process kind of thing)dreaming
oh i dunno, that sounds quite straightforward to me.

Kind regards

Dave Rich
Old 08-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
ShaneLessor

Well, since the plugins would be DLLs anyway, I think WINE would handle them by default, not sure though.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #12
psychok7

thats a nice question about the windows plugins..anyways can't wait for news on the linux port. Our community is growing and we are here to stay
Old 10-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #13
ickefes

How's the development going? I downloaded the build and tried it. Not much to use it for right now but I am so looking forward to see it get better and better and finally usable.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
DuX

Making a Linux port would make Reaper more future proof and it could be easily ported to Android then, too. That could be a really good move.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
Making a Linux port would make Reaper more future proof and it could be easily ported to Android then, too. That could be a really good move.
1 It does not make it more future proof, there is little that shows that Linux will be an audio mainstay in the future (In fact quite the opposite)

2 Porting to Linux has little to zero to do with porting to Android, Android apps are pretty much Java and that really has nothing at all to do with any OS
Old 10-25-2013, 02:47 AM   #16
l0calh05t

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
1 It does not make it more future proof, there is little that shows that Linux will be an audio mainstay in the future (In fact quite the opposite)
Agreed.

Quote:
2 Porting to Linux has little to zero to do with porting to Android, Android apps are pretty much Java and that really has nothing at all to do with any OS
There are many NDK based native (C++) applications on Android, so the Java part isn't really true.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #17
Jack Winter

Apparently jack is making it's debut on android devices through samsung right now. Apparently the ios port had been killed by apple though.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 10-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #18
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0calh05t View Post
There are many NDK based native (C++) applications on Android, so the Java part isn't really true.
Point being that NDK is still rather rare and porting to Linux has nothing to do with and certainly does not make easier porting to Android.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #19
chronocepter

We just need to do something about WINE to get it redy to run OSX software inside Linux. That's the final blow..... bamm!
Old 10-29-2013, 01:32 AM   #20
blitze

Hmm Reaper Native to Linux with Wine VST Support direct = cool
Add Steam Linux and dare I say it, Adobe Linux support and then I am free of Windows or OS-X

Now, whilst this is a dream, Windows 8.1 desktop is quite good for MS, just hate the addition of Metro which would be nice if one could rip it away from the desktop part of Windows.

I think Metro sucks both on desktop and portable and would take Paranoid Android over Metro anyday for Phone or Tablet use.

Like KDE desktop though, namely Kubuntu x64 and I think KDE is a better cross platform toolkit to GTK
Old 10-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #21
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitze View Post
Hmm Reaper Native to Linux with Wine VST Support direct = cool
Add Steam Linux and dare I say it, Adobe Linux support and then I am free of Windows or OS-X

I think Metro sucks both on desktop and portable and would take Paranoid Android over Metro anyday for Phone or Tablet use.

Like KDE desktop though, namely Kubuntu x64 and I think KDE is a better cross platform toolkit to GTK
That. Windows 8.1 what's that? A new dish? I like it spicy. ;P
Old 11-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #22
ChunkyBustout

I know Reaper is the ONLY reason I still use Windows. After Crunchbang Linux and LinuxBBQ "ROCKS!" (their audio production distro), I am eagerly awaiting for Reaper like the "second coming" - it might not happen in my lifetime but I have hope

Why doesn't someone Kickstart it? That could, imho, be a good way to gauge demand for the port.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #23
babag

would love to see more progress on the native version. now that lightworks
is available for linux video post, the only thing keeping me from a complete
os switch is lack of reaper for linux. reaper and lightworks would make for a
killer linux av combo. (especially with avid apparently tanking. that could
open up some greater os flexibility.)

BabaG
Old 02-27-2014, 06:21 AM   #24
krahosk

Native windows VSTs on Linux

http://breakfastquay.com/dssi-vst/
Old 02-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #25
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyBustout View Post
hy doesn't someone Kickstart it? That could, imho, be a good way to gauge demand for the port.
Because there is very little interest, look out how busy this thread and any other Linux thread is here at the forum, it is quite a good gauge, better still, just go and look how much interest there is in any Linux payware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
reaper and lightworks would make for a
killer linux av combo. (especially with avid apparently tanking. that could
open up some greater os flexibility.)

BabaG
1 Lightworks is not great for compositing, there have been some Linux compositors, but non like the available tools on Win/Mac
It's editing is usable but not as good as other packages on Win/mac

2 Not sure how Avid doing anything one way or the other effects any OS flexibility ?
Old 02-28-2014, 12:55 AM   #26
babag

Quote:
1 Lightworks is not great for compositing, there have been some Linux compositors, but non like the available tools on Win/Mac
agreed about the compositing. they need to rework that.
Quote:
2 Not sure how Avid doing anything one way or the other effects any OS flexibility ?
rightly or wrongly, i think avid (read that as avid/protools) is generally associated with the mac platform or, at least, not the linux platform. were avid to lose its dominant position, it could loosen the tie to the os it's associated with. where i live and work there is the perception that everything is avid/protools and you have to be on a mac. would be great to see that change. i don't see a snowballing effect here, just an opportunity for some expansion.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:44 PM   #27
DuX

Not to mention that Windows 8 isn't that great, too... I openly recommend [for years now] people who are using computers for Internet and office work [95%?] to just use PCLinux or Ubuntu. The common reaction is "I can use all this for free?" Normal people don't need complex operating systems nor programs like MS Office for writing letters and other documents, adjusting the brightness and contrast on some pictures and stuff like that... All they need is a browser, multimedia player, rich text editor and a simple graphics editor. That's it. Linux delivers and much much more, actually.

But people who need an OS that supports professional apps... that's still the problem. I simply detest Windows knowing that I could use Linux with RT kernel and Jack. It makes me really sad. I'd make a complete transition to Linux in a heartbeat if Reaper appeared for Linux. There would be so much less to worry about, customisable ditros, themes, incredible support... But as things are now I still use XP and Linux both. XP just for music but I'm too lazy to constantly switch to use the internet.

Yeah, I know we can use VSTs in Linux with a wrapper. At least something.

I also tend to think that Linux is the future, not any of the proprietary OSes we use today. An OS should be free and open source. No backdoors... Free Internet and free OS! <-- notice the lack of "free apps". I think some apps are worth buying, like Reaper, if you use it professionally. Or a professional video or photo editor like we have on OSX and Windows, but that 95% don't need these.

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 02-28-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #28
Randall Dibble

Default Future Needs !

I need an OS that will support three Delta 1010's and Ubuntu does that ! Windows XP works with three cards but M-audio has abandon Delta1010 drivers after XP and the newer drivers don't support but only one card under Window 7- onward.

Now after the latest XP update in February of 2014 my system crashed and with Microsoft no longer supporting XP it has become the right time to embrace a Linux OS.

I'm forced to use Ardour under Ubuntu as It's the only serous Daw I know of for a Linux OS and allow me to use three Delta cards.

I used Reaper under XP and would love it if a serious effort was made to port it to Linux, Wine just doesn't cut it for me, I need better performance.

Thanks for putting up with my whining but I have to close with a question:

What is the best Linux distribution for audio only ?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #29
mikemana

I have been running two delta 1010lt's on windows 7 for a couple of years with no problem at all. Just using the latest 64 bit driver. For Linux you should try AVLinux, They have it preconfigured to run two cards but i was never able to get it to work right. I spent a few months on it and built a new machine for it but really never got it going.

I was using Harrison as the DAW and it was great so i would recommend MixBus if you get your cards working.

Originally i wanted to run separate PCs for recording and MIDI/Effects that way i could still run all my windows VST's that i have spent a crapload of money on. But by the time i gave up my new computer was fast enough to do everything with no problems . But Linux has a few apps that are really great ,and they tend to not run so well on windows so I still would like to have both on my desk.

I would say get your system running on windows 7 and work on linux on a separate hard drive. That way you are not shut down just in case this takes longer then you think.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #30
Win Conway

Quote:
Not to mention that Windows 8 isn't that great
Says who ?
For every one person you show me that says it is poor (Because they fear change and little to do with speed/stability) i will show you ten that are over the moon with it.
I was an XP stalwart, but 8 blows it and any other variation before it away, and not just in a small way either.

(Not including the 8.1 update, the jury is still out on that and it's ability to dynamically switch some drivers on some sets ups, very very poor design decision)
Old 03-04-2014, 01:10 AM   #31
daxliniere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuraMorte View Post
Take that LOL link off, please... rule #3.
I'm pretty sure that can be linked-to in its own discussion thread..
Old 03-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #32
geoslake

+1
Reaper is the only app I need windows for.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #33
babag

Quote:
how recently have you given it a test drive? i just tried it again and they've made a LOT of progress. i'll concede that it's not a compositor but they don't claim to be and aren't trying to be. the look i just had revealed it to be remarkably versatile and fluid for fx given that it's supposed to be an editing-only application. i also love that it's to be released for all three os's as well: windows, osx, linux. been trying to stick as much as i can with such architecture for a while now and, from what i can tell, lightworks is adding significantly in this arena. would love to see reaper follow.

BabaG
Old 03-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #34
chip mcdonald

If going to Linux meant a computer that was snappy - like a computer SHOULD be in the 21st century - I'd miss Valhalla, and some drum/synth vstis. But it would be easy enough to run those off a separate computer, it would be worth it, IF - it meant a truly great performance increase.

Last edited by chip mcdonald; 03-04-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #35
DuX

Default Linux RT kernel patch.

I would like to know if someone runs Linux with the real-time kernel patch for making music or just mixing in Ardour and how low can you go regarding latency? Win7 and 8 got worse than XP in that regard since they put an additional API layer between the hardware and the kernel. I'm talking performance with latencies as low as 32-64 samples.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:00 AM   #36
ivansc

Dux - been on 7 and 8 and now 8.1 for a long time. I got my first Win7 free as a beta tester. THAT long ago.
Speaking for myself I have always had excellent performance from 7 and now I have had a bit of a play about with it, no issues with 8 either.
Within reaper I can run my RME HDSP9652 card all day long at 64 samples, generally run at 48 unless it is a big project which mine seldom are (10-20 tracks but many VSTis) The net result is that although I CAN run 32 I dont see the point, as round trip latency is already silly low.

If you are struggling with 7 it is likely down to something not right within your system, or you are running truly massive projects, about which I know nothing.
But like I say my experience after XP has been that both 7 and 8 are far more stable.
My only problems turned out to be dear old IKMM not being able to get their stuff to run in 64bit environments initially and major issues with focusrite USB interfaces on an i series laptop. The solution was to dump the IKMM stuff till they get their act together and NOT use ff USB stuff.
I now have a RME baby face and it is great.

One positive as far as I am concerned with MY system is that RME have a great reputation for drivers, so if I ever get the chance to go all-Linux, I anticipate no problems in that area.
Recently won Harrison Mixbus in a contest, so when I get bsck to the UK I will be doing a Linux install and seeing how it goes....
Old 03-10-2014, 01:43 AM   #37
sonnie

Interesting thread.

I looking forward to see any DAW in Linux. I use Linux at least for one year as main OS for everything except audio and video. Therefor I'm still using my MacPro. But I love my Arch system, damn fast and stable.

Ardour is okay, but not my DAW of choice. If Bitwig gets released soon, I'll have a look on Linux on it.

Can't be this hard to put a programm to Linux if you have a Mac-Version.

Linux will always be the DIY/Nerd OS, if noone releases professional Software on it.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #38
moonfiremusic

It's actually pretty painful to port something from an OS to another, even though there are compilers for almost every modern programming language.
There are a lot of libraries third party apps that need to work on that OS, not to mention it's even harder when there's audio stuff involved.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:18 AM   #39
MrPopinjay

Good morning all. I was wondering- has there been any official statements regarding a native Linux version? I am very curious as to whether or not this excellent DAW will run on my favourite platform. There's currently a lot of interest in Linux, so now seems like an ideal time to look at supporting it.

Quote:
I would like to know if someone runs Linux with the real-time kernel patch for making music or just mixing in Ardour and how low can you go regarding latency?
Hi DuX. I'm a Linux audio user (though I use Renoise and xwax predominantly) and I can tell you that ALSA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanc...d_Architecture) is a very capable audio system. I find that it can outperform Window's ASIO, esepecially when you take into consideration that you can create a minimal and effecient Linux install to do you work within, as opposed to the hefty modern Window enviroment.

One downside is that it can be very confusing to configure. A lot of this can be avoided by using the JACK low latency audio server with ALSA, as it has various excellent GUI config tools that are more newbie friendly. i.e. qjackctl
Old 03-23-2014, 05:00 AM   #40
Jack Winter

Don't think there ever was an "official statement" from the devs about a linux version. There is a linux executable on landoleet.org, with the hope that someone interested will port SWELL to linux. I remember Cockos saying that once that was done, more work would be done on a linux version.

I started working on a port, and got part of the way before I gave up, as I realized that the program runs so well in wine. It supports all my vst plugins, video, etc, and I started wondering why would I need a native executable when what I had worked more than well enough for my purposes... The other thought is what am I gonna do for plugins if I'm 100% native in linux..

IMO, Cockos would be well served to invest some testing/dev time into running reaper in wine, as it's almost perfect, just some small issues/bugs and the fact that it causes xruns when using the transport. Depending on what plugins I have installed, I can normally run full mixes and overdub monitoring through VST at very low latencies. Don't think it could get much better, except having the small issues fixed.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Closed Thread