Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 02-21-2018, 02:49 AM   #1
RWD_MJones
Human being with feelings

Default Suggestion for improving video-related error messages

I recently had an issue with my Reaper install: I was unable to watch videos. This frustrated and annoyed me, as it was previously functioning perfectly, and the file format that I typically used in Reaper (.avi) was abruptly no longer being read (the video window was blank - only the audio was being read).

It turns out that I had upgraded my version of VLC to 3.0.0, which is not supported by Reaper.

I noticed that Reaper will "silently" break if you update your version of VLC, and will not report any errors. The only place (as far as I am aware) that displays this information is found under Options > Preferences > Video/REX/Misc > Show available decoder information. I do not feel that silent errors and well-hidden information is very helpful.

Currently the error message shown when the user attempts to drag in an unsupported video file is: "Could not import 1 of 1 items!" - this is NOT a useful error message. I would suggest that Reaper shows a more helpful message when the user attempts to import a video file that is not supported, for example:

Video file format not supported: Please check available video decoders here: [provide link].

Video file format not supported: Please install VLC Media Player to expand video playback support. [provide link].

I would also suggest that Reaper adds support for the latest version of VLC media player, or otherwise displays an error message when the user updates VLC to an unsupported version, or uninstalls it.
RWD_MJones is offline   Reply With Quote