Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-03-2016, 06:23 AM   #1
lolilol1975
Human being with feelings

Default YAW10-Yet Another Windows 10 thread: fucking up the sound.

OK, my desktop computer is suffering a "nosey" and heavily distorted sound issue with Windows 10. Basically, it fucks up the sound, not only for REAPER, but every application that emits sound, like Chrome on Youtube. I have to reboot to make it disappear.

It happens EVERY FUCKING TIME Windows does a background update (which one cannot disable), - in fact that's how I know there has been an update -, and now it happens randomly even when there seems to be no update.

For the record, I'm using an ASUS Xonar DG soundcard (last driver W10 x64 2015/10/28) that sends digital audio through a TOSlink (optical link) to a tc electronic BMC-2.

I hate Windows 10. It sucks.

Last edited by lolilol1975; 11-03-2016 at 06:31 AM.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:50 AM   #2
Softsynth

Win 10.
Have you got the latest drivers for the soundcard?
I imagine Windows has automatically updated it anyway but.....
Does it have default settings geared to gaming or surround sound rather than music production?
https://www.asus.com/support/Downloa...F4uhiJVJKD/45/

My Machine
For me Win 10 sound did get worse with one major update as it disabled my standard settings on the Creative card. Nothing sounded right. A few box ticks on sound card settings later quality was back again.

For the Creative card to sound optimal I had to have "bit matched" playback in "Audio Creation Mode"

Some sampling rates using Win10 with this Creative card crash the machine! other than that it works fine.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:50 AM   #3
Panic

You can turn off updates by disabling windows update in services, or by setting a policy in group edit.
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Win 10.
Have you got the latest drivers for the soundcard?
I imagine Windows has automatically updated it anyway but.....
Does it have default settings geared to gaming or surround sound rather than music production?
https://www.asus.com/support/Downloa...F4uhiJVJKD/45/

My Machine
For me Win 10 sound did get worse with one major update as it disabled my standard settings on the Creative card. Nothing sounded right. A few box ticks on sound card settings later quality was back again.

For the Creative card to sound optimal I had to have "bit matched" playback in "Audio Creation Mode"

Some sampling rates using Win10 with this Creative card crash the machine! other than that it works fine.
Yes it's the latest driver (look at the date). The thing is, as soon as I reboot, it's back to normal, so it's not a show stopper, it's just an annoyance that I didn't have with Win 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic View Post
You can turn off updates by disabling windows update in services, or by setting a policy in group edit.
Not sure I want to completely turn off Windows update. I just wish I could control when it updates.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:16 AM   #5
karbomusic

It vaguely sounds like a sample rate mismatch where something in the background may grab or change it. Rare but I've seen it happen.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:20 AM   #6
northwoodmediaworks

Unplug your network cable or disable your NIC.
northwoodmediaworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:40 AM   #7
BenK-msx

A quick settings change that stops updates is changing WiFi to a 'metered connection'.

Spent a week getting a low cost low ram win 10 box to behave better, so much crap to disable, and not always easily.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:04 AM   #8
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
A quick settings change that stops updates is changing WiFi to a 'metered connection'.
Would be a good idea, but it's wired to the fiber box.
Oh well, I'll have to live with it I guess.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:23 AM   #9
DarkStar

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html
http://www.howtogeek.com/226722/how-...on-windows-10/
and
http://www.howtogeek.com/262477/how-...dows-8-and-10/

(I've not tried these, so they are at your own risk.)

------------------------------------
Edit: And another one:
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Last edited by DarkStar; 11-03-2016 at 09:36 AM.
DarkStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #10
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolilol1975 View Post
Would be a good idea, but it's wired to the fiber box.
Oh well, I'll have to live with it I guess.
Ah, don't know if can set that for wired too off hand. There are reg settings that can stop it too, I imagine darkstars links explain that!
Old 11-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #11
Panic

Quote:
Not sure I want to completely turn off Windows update. I just wish I could control when it updates.
If you run gpedit.msc and navigate to:

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update

There is a policy called "Configure Automatic Updates" where you can set the update behavior

Or, you can explore the various other policies available.

Hope that helps.
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #12
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It vaguely sounds like a sample rate mismatch where something in the background may grab or change it. Rare but I've seen it happen.
Something to check .... Had this happen more than once, as on Win10 Pro Insider Preview and many Updates. Now regularly check Win10 audio settings ....

Last edited by sostenuto; 09-16-2017 at 08:06 AM.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #13
Rusty Falcon

I had a similar issue where WU was changing drivers on me and found this to help. Example is from Win7 x64 but same steps should get you there on Win10.

- Locate the "Computer" icon on the desktop
- Right-click on it and select Properties
- a largish Control Panel -> System and Security -> System window appears
- select "Advanced System Settings"
- System Properties window opens
- Select "Hardware" tab
- Select "Device Installation Settings" button
- GUI should appear with the question "Do you want Windows to download driver software and realistic icons for your devices?"
- Select or check "Never install driver software from Windows Update"
- Save changes and back out of all windows

I found WU was updating my HP printer driver and rendering my printer nonfunctional and this was a good recourse for me.
Rusty Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #14
michael diemer

If it were me (if I had made, in my opinion, the mistake of upgrading to Windows 10), I would say, OK, I'm doing a restore (if that is even possible in W10) back to where it still worked, then keep it offline, so miscrosoft can't wreak more havoc with it. Then, use an older computer with a decent operating system, like W7, to download things to an external drive, for installation to W10. In fact, that's pretty much what I do now. I have 2 W7 rigs, one for the internet and one only for music. I do go online briefly while working on my music if an issue comes up and I need help, but I can also do that easily by using the other computer, taking advantage of my monitor's ability to switch back and forth. I plan to keep using W7 indefinitely on my music rig past 2020, when W7 is EOL. Then I will definitely keep it offline. Unless there are other reasonable choices (like, for example, Linux...).
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:40 AM   #15
karbomusic

Any update can break things in any OS; its as if everyone thinks 2016 is the first time an OS update caused a anomaly LOL. After being off of Win7 for a number of years now, I'd probably shoot myself in the face if I had to use it at this point - I'm embellishing a little in the spirit of the thread but I'd hate to go back. It would be far better to have someone with the knowledge to just help him find the issue and fix it.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-04-2016 at 10:53 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:55 AM   #16
DarkStar

^^^
No, that's not the concern. With Windows 10 you have very little, if any, control over receiving Updates (Microsoft knows best). Yes, you could do a System Restore (it that works) but you'll just get the Updates again.

As for the solution, we need lolilol1975 to report back.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:10 PM   #17
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
^^^
No, that's not the concern. With Windows 10 you have very little, if any, control over receiving Updates (Microsoft knows best). Yes, you could do a System Restore (it that works) but you'll just get the Updates again.

As for the solution, we need lolilol1975 to report back.
I get that but chances are it is completely fixable and stalling updates indefinitely due to not looking deeper seems like something that's not workable long-term. Better to just fix it if possible. Then consider disabling updates via registry etc.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-04-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #18
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I'm having massive DPC issues with one of the school's computers on windows 10, hoping we can get some sort of knowledgebase FAQ on fixing this nonsense
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:49 PM   #19
sostenuto

New Win10 Pro Insider Update yesterday (Build 14959)... AGAIN !!

First time in a long time, but Win Audio changed default Sample Rate & Bit Depth to 24 bit, 96000 HZ (Studio Quality). Just MUST check this after Updates.

You guys bitch, ... you have no idea the perverse curses I put on Ballsmer's replacement daily ^^^
Old 11-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #20
michael diemer

Of course, all you Windows 10 users (victims) have a system image of Windows 7, right? No? Tsk tsk.
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #21
sostenuto

New Win10 Pro Insider Update yesterday (Build 14959)... AGAIN !!

First time in a long time, but Win Audio changed default Sample Rate & Bit Depth to 24 bit, 96000 HZ (Studio Quality). Just MUST check this after Updates.

You guys bitch, ... you have no idea the perverse curses I put on Ballsmer's replacement daily ^^^
Old 11-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #22
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
Of course, all you Windows 10 users (victims) have a system image of Windows 7, right? No? Tsk tsk.
Going back to W7 isn't an option as this computer also has professional use.

I'll have a look at the "don't update drivers" thing though.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #23
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
No, don't need one, nor do I ever have any of these problems, see my other post. I actually had far more issues with Windows 7 to be honest because the newer OS changes we know today weren't nearly as mature then. I was always able to fix them but definitely less refined overall.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #24
karbomusic

I don't want to step on your sensibilities but I sort of worry about that SC and DAW usage and multiple potential sources - not because I don't think it can do the job but those aren't really the bases the manufacturer is attempting to cover from my brief review of the specs. I don't think that is the problem per se, I just think it raises the chances a little of something being overlooked on either side of the fence.

If you are used to for example, running Reaper then pulling up youtube or other apps that need access to the audio card then I'd almost bet it is a conflict between resources where both are asking for different sample rates or similar. Just giving you stuff to chew on.

Another issue is being what I assume is PCIe you can't turn it off/on which would probably keep you from rebooting as well as aid in troubleshooting what the actual issue is.

I still think it is entirely fixable although not so easy to do piecemeal.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-04-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #25
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
If you are used to for example, running Reaper then pulling up youtube or other apps that need access to the audio card then I'd almost bet it is a conflict between resources where both are asking for different sample rates or similar. Just giving you stuff to chew on.

Another issue is being what I assume is PCIe you can't turn it off/on which would probably keep you from rebooting as well as aid in troubleshooting what the actual issue is.

I still think it is entirely fixable although not so easy to do piecemeal.
To be clear, I can use both Youtube and Reaper at the same time without issue. I'm also using Voicemeeter, so I'm using Voicemeeter ASIO. The problem occurs only when there is a Windows update, except the other day, it happened also in another circumstance that I couldn't identify. MAybe it was also an update that didn't require rebooting ?
Old 11-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #26
karbomusic

Quote:
To be clear, I can use both Youtube and Reaper at the same time without issue. I'm also using Voicemeeter, so I'm using Voicemeeter ASIO. The problem occurs only when there is a Windows update, except the other day, it happened also in another circumstance that I couldn't identify. MAybe it was also an update that didn't require rebooting ?
I'm not letting the update off the hook, I'm curious if after the update, does it do it 100% of the time or when you just happen to run Reaper and YouTube? I mean you said you reboot to clear it up, how does it get back into that state again? Reading closer above, maybe you aren't sure of the conditions yet for the unexplained one.

Quote:
MAybe it was also an update that didn't require rebooting ?
For the one that occurs just after the update, it should tell you if it needs to reboot. However, if an update occurs, you don't reboot and then you end up in this state, I'd think it really did need a reboot or the bug is actually the state created in conflict with that sound card via the update mechanism itself, and possibly not being related to the updates that actually get downloaded. Maybe you already know that, just clarifying things but if anything I'm saying is accurate I still lean towards unintentional conflict or corrupted state (for both scenarios) since the OS is also attached to the driver assuming your Windows sounds are on and also use that same card and so on.

What are your settings for both Reaper and the Windows sound properties that control who gets control of the sound card and when? Is exlusive mode on in the Windows settings and is reaper set to release or keep the driver when it's main window loses focus?

One other thing. If you get a Windows update there should be a message that tells you that in the message center which I think lives by default, just to the right of the clock in the system tray. I assume you've seen the message just making sure since any updates will show there or in update history.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-04-2016 at 10:15 PM.