Old 07-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #1
Analog27
Human being with feelings

Default 2017 MacBook Pro 13 inch?

Does anyone have one of the new MacBook pros? I'm in need of a new laptop for remote projects and wondering what the performance is like with reaper an one of these machines. Thanks in advance for any input��
Analog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
serr

No complaints on processing power. It will be as spec'd. The complaints on this model is the "cost reduction" stuff. No glass shield protecting the raw lcd panel. (And that combined with the raw part cost for that screen when you crack it.) Magsafe power connector has been removed. You use one of the USB-C ports to power/charge it. (Not making that up!) The only ports are USB-C. The thunderbolt ports use the USB-C jack. The single drive bay (slot) is the M.2 pci connected.

Nice hardware for sure. You'll need to be OK with a single drive slot and the pricier M.2 pci connected SSDs. You'll want to be looking to audio interfaces with USB-C thunderbolt ports (good luck there right now) or you'll be using adapters. Careful with that screen because the raw part before labor is $300. These are fragile screens and again, they removed the glass shield for cost reduction.

Seems like a clumsy configuration for audio work. Premium price for some features that don't give much bang for the buck and then glaring omissions that would have. I'd look at a 2010 or mid 2012 model (not retina!) myself.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #3
serr

Can't believe I missed the elephant in the room...

Some of these models have the SSD soldered onto the logic board!
Extreme low end machine cost reduction moves like you see on the disposable Worst Purchase products sold to people to browse buttbook except with expensive CPUs and screens.

Careful at the Apple store these days! They're selling some truly messed up models.

Specifically avoid any model Macbook with a permanently attached hard drive like this. Avoid any Macbook missing the lcd protector glass shield. Avoid the low end iMacs with the glass shield glued onto the screen too.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:40 PM   #4
Rangler

Without the TouchBar. My ram is maxed out.

No problems here. I just hate the keyboard. Touch-typing is more difficult and I seem to have to hit the keys a lot harder and more deliberately. I love how it looks, though.
Rangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:56 PM   #5
vanhaze

Just attach an extended aluminium keyboard to it.
More keys so more keyboard shortcuts available to ya for all the dozens of Reaper actions you use