Old 06-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #1
jonshea
Human being with feelings

Default Midi routing fx vst chain problem

Hey guys, sorry if I'm in the wrong thread but I figured I'm probably good in here.
So I'm not particularly new to using Reaper, but I am attempting to tackle MIDI drums for the first time. I have an electronic drum set with 8 different triggers, and I have managed to successfully send the midi of each seperate trigger to its own track. I've done this by using the MIDI examiner and MIDI note filter plugins that come with Reaper. Watched a tutorial online to figure out how to do this and as of right now, if I hit the snare, the audio is routed through one track that has my drum VST on it, but only the "snare" track actually has signal. By doing this when I record the drums, I have a seperate MIDI file on every track that together creates a full drum beat.

So here's my problem. I'm only doing this so that I can run seperate equalizers on each piece of the drum instead of using a single equalizer for the whole kit. I figure this will give me lots of control of the sound and allow me to mix my drums really well with other instruments. Problem is, when I put equalizers on the snare track for example, they don't seem to have any effect. I notice that the audio doesn't even seem to be going through the snare track at all, only the midi notes are recorded onto it. My assumption is that I need to place the equalizer somewhere else in the chain, but this is where I get stuck. For the record, the MIDI examiner and MIDI note filter plugins are placed on the FX send VST button rather than just the regular FX VST button. I never knew you could do this until I watched that tutorial. I suspect this issue is coming from how I have the MIDI routed like in the routing table, but when I try to figure that out it really makes my head hurt. Can I possibly get some guidance on how all this works? At the end of the day my computers processor is only so good so I want to keep only one instance of the drum software open if possible, and just several equalizers, one for each track.
jonshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:00 PM   #2
Stella645

Where do the sounds of your kit come from??

A midi note does not make a sound it must trigger an instrument which could be a vst you loaded or could be your midi drum module.

So if it's a vsti you need to split the outs of the instrument (if it's possible) to process the individual drums.

But if it's an external drum module you would have to record the audio first. (and possibly one track at a time depending on your setup)
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
jonshea

Wow I feel dumb right now lol. Ok so that makes a lot of sense. So ideally I would want to record the drums, freeze it into audio/wav files, then apply my eq to those samples instead right? Only problem with that is I can't play the drums live with EQ'd sound. I wonder if there's a way to do that?
jonshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #4
Stella645

Might be...depends on the answer you haven't given to my only question.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote