Old 05-04-2017, 02:52 AM   #1
marcoctn
Human being with feelings

Default Faders to trim

I copy&past a feature from mixbus 4 which I find pretty useful since automating faders at low volumes can be tricky...

"Faders to trims" sets all of your channel faders to unity, while inserting a “trim” plugin before each fader with the fader’s previous value.

should be pretty simple to script, right?

I leave it there if anyone is interested (unfortunately I have no idea how to do it by myself).

cheers
marcoctn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #2
Ozman

Funny, I was just thinking of something like that.
And it would be good if it can update the same trim/volume plugin whenever it is ran subsequently.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #3
EpicSounds

Did you know tracks have trim automation lane already and there are actions for this?

Track: Apply trim envelope to volume envelope, clear trim envelope
Track: Apply volume envelope to trim envelope, clear volume envelope
Track: Swap volume envelope and trim envelope
Track: Toggle track trim envelope visible
Old 05-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #4
marcoctn

yes, and I find those actions amazing. But most of the time I try to avoid automation envelopes for tasks like that (cause my projects gets supermessy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
Did you know tracks have trim automation lane already and there are actions for this?

Track: Apply trim envelope to volume envelope, clear trim envelope
Track: Swap volume envelope and trim envelope
Old 05-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #5
Ozman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoctn View Post
yes, and I find those actions amazing. But most of the time I try to avoid automation envelopes for tasks like that (cause my projects gets supermessy)
I agree, marcoctn.
I think that automation envelops are best used for parameter changes.
To use an envelope for a static value is a bit redundant.

Transfering volume fader value to a utility volume plugin would be ideal for gain staging.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #6
Ozman

Upon further testing,
I think that the actions mentioned by EpicSounds are definitely useful for gain staging.

I made a custom action:

Track: Select volume envelope

And I've added a keyboard shortcut to it. There currently isn't an action to hide the Trim envelope, but that's ok.

The cool thing is that the 2nd action actually adjusts the Trim envelope by the amounts of the volume envelope (relative adjustments).

Very useful scripts. Much thanks, EpicSounds for pointing those out.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:13 AM   #7
n0ne

Hi Marco!,

I think I have what you are talking about. This scripts inserts a simple JS gain effect with current fader value and then resets the fader. Made it a while back but never really used it. Let me know if it works for you.

The J Gain is just a simplified version of the original Cockos volume JS. Put that in your REAPER/Effects folder. Then running the script should do the trick. You can select multiple channels at once.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: zip gain.zip (1.1 KB, 192 views)
n0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:25 AM   #8
marcoctn

yeeeeeeeee!!
You're my hero!

thanks a lot, works perfectly

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ne View Post
Hi Marco!,

I think I have what you are talking about. This scripts inserts a simple JS gain effect with current fader value and then resets the fader. Made it a while back but never really used it. Let me know if it works for you.

The J Gain is just a simplified version of the original Cockos volume JS. Put that in your REAPER/Effects folder. Then running the script should do the trick. You can select multiple channels at once.

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2017, 08:21 AM   #9
ChrisBlue

I downloaded this and extracted the compressed file but when I try to use it and it says how do you want to open this and I click yes for the app it's offered as a default for opening it nothing happens, I wish life was possible without computers but sadly not does anyone have an explanation as to why this is happening ( or not happening )?
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #10
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlue View Post
I downloaded this and extracted the compressed file but when I try to use it and it says how do you want to open this and I click yes for the app it's offered as a default for opening it nothing happens, I wish life was possible without computers but sadly not does anyone have an explanation as to why this is happening ( or not happening )?

Put it in Reaper/scripts folder. In Reaper go to Actions/Show Action List. At the bottom right next to Rescript select load and load the script from where you put it. Then give it a keystroke by selecting add on the left and give it a shortcut. If you lose it in view just go to the filter up top and type "adjust" and "gain" and it will appear and you can go from there.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:38 AM   #11
Luster

Quote:

Thanks for sharing! Not sure if you are aware but in principle this is the first step in the direction of a post fader fx insert slot system. The next step in evolution would be:
  1. Incorporating automation data (=copying volume automation to the plugin and setting automation mode to read)
  2. (icing on the cake) realtime linking of the fader with the plugin parameter (either by reapplying the new trimmed volume value to the already inserted plugin and resetting the fader to zero OR leaving the fader at position and countering the wrong gain with another plugin instance)
Right now it's super useful for the last step in mixing - applying some kind of console simulation but of course it would be better to mix into that kind of plugins the whole time.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:47 AM   #12
Ozman

Also, I've just got my script acting just right.

Custom Action - Fader to Trim:

This one adjusts the trim by the fader's offset, then hides the trim envelope.

----

With some testing, I noticed that it also factors in the Volume envelope and the current trim envelope as well.

Last edited by Ozman; 06-21-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #13
Gianfini

Quote:
Hi Marco!,

Good luck!
Hi, do you think you can modify this script to make it work with Solaksis FreeG (a free TRIM plugin I like a lot)? It seems I can instantiate it by changing the plugin name in lua, i can select param 1 (TRIM) but then the value inserted always bring the param to zero (or lowest value)

thanks
g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:46 AM   #14
b0se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
Also, I've just got my script acting just right.

Custom Action - Fader to Trim:

This one adjusts the trim by the fader's offset, then hides the trim envelope.

----

With some testing, I noticed that it also factors in the Volume envelope and the current trim envelope as well.
Hi Ozman,

Do you have this script available for download/use anywhere?
b0se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:08 PM   #15
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Hi Ozman,

Do you have this script available for download/use anywhere?
That looks like a custom action made from actions that come with REAPER, you can make it your self...

Custom Actions in REAPER
https://youtu.be/15Evzb7rWCo?t=104
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #16
Ozman

Yes, it's just a custom action.
And, trust me, it helps a lot for making volume adjustments while keeping the volume sliders at 0 (unity gain).
Old 10-21-2023, 02:13 PM   #17
Jonson N.

Quote:
Hi Marco!,

Good luck!
Can anyone modify this script to work with the first inserted container on track?
Jonson N. is online now   Reply With Quote