Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 01-01-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
naythinjuromeh
Human being with feelings

Default option to hide default toolbar and replace with tracks

I have a customized toolbar at the top of the main window with some of the functions that are in the default toolbar that is in the upper left corner of the screen.

I would like to completely remove the default tool bar and have tracks take up the empty space.
naythinjuromeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:08 AM   #2
DarkStar

Where would the timeline ruler, and region and marker lanes go?
Old 01-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #3
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Where would the timeline ruler, and region and marker lanes go?
it could be like all others DAWs that i know using minimal space required for timeline and using spare space on the left for some other thing that might be useful, example: modes or tools:
pencil tool, erase tool, range selection tool, preview tool, slice tool kind of things. Or Add track, or find track by name tool. Most important, instead of taking like 20px just take 5px. But not the most important thing ever IMO maybe ruler toolbar and marker toolbar and in future chord toolbar :P could be added which each would be visible if made sense. Example: Marker toolbar could be hidden if no markers in project. Or Region toolbar would be hidden if no Regions in project , etc

Last edited by deeb; 01-02-2018 at 10:14 AM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #4
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
it could be like all others DAWs that i know using minimal space required for timeline and using spare space on the left for some other thing that might be useful, example: modes or tools:
All the DAWs have buttons, toolbars, whatever. No one has spacee for tracks there.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #5
karbomusic

Not what is asked but F11 will give a tad more real estate.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #6
Bri1
Banned

Alloallo- in flstudio interface can be managed -the playlist they use there is a seperate window so tracks gets a rack stack-reason also has a fixed track view area which cannot be altered by customizing-but the main difference with them and reaper is 2 are fixed track areas,fl is not.
The other main difference with each programme is the choice of selections and tools that appear in each area are different and the fact that reapers track area seems to be linked to arrange area functions..they are not treated 'seperately' as such it seems-reason is seperated selections for each area
All these programmes could in theory just use overlays with varying opacities..?
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #7
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
All the DAWs have buttons, toolbars, whatever. No one has spacee for tracks there.
I dont know if it just me, And aging. I feel as it is it takes too much space comparing with others. Also second part of my comment is a good/ better alternative too IMO. Not sure if it was clear.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #8
vitalker

Quote:
I dont know if it just me, And aging. I feel as it is it takes too much space comparing with others. Also second part of my comment is a good/ better alternative too IMO. Not sure if it was clear.
Did you know we can replace this toolbar(edit it) with the other one?
Old 01-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #9
deeb

Quote:
Did you know we can replace this toolbar(edit it) with the other one?
If you mean another toolbar yes i knew. I mean: for some reason there is too much spare space even if toolbar is empty. it seems at least 1 more track in minimal height could be visible if there wasn't so much space left there. Tool bar has a minimum height of something like 25px where it seems it could be only like 10px.

Last edited by deeb; 01-03-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #10
vitalker

Quote:
Maybe i could hide the ruler and so i could get a little more space. Is this possible? because i never use it
No, it's not possible yet. You can hide TCP by double-clicking on TCP/arrange divider.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #11
deeb

Quote:
No, it's not possible yet. You can hide TCP by double-clicking on TCP/arrange divider.
thank you!

In the first comment i just meant something like in this image, so the space could be left when no markers or no regions or whatever don't exist, anyway:

Last edited by deeb; 01-07-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:27 PM   #12
vitalker

Quote:
It could be, but what would you like to place on that toolbars?
Old 01-02-2018, 04:41 PM   #13
deeb

Any action or helpful info related Tô each of the contexts . Same concept could be used for chord markers in future or anything else. hidden or option Tô hide when they are not being used.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:51 PM   #14
Allspice

Quote:
If you mean another toolbar yes i knew. I mean: for some reason there is too much spare space even if toolbar is empty. it seems at least 1 more track in minimal height could be visible if there wasn't so much space left there. Tool bar has a minimum height of something like 25px where it seems it could be only like 10px.

this is how i see
Is it just me or does it seem like a “carriage return” in toolbars would be a potential way to fix your issue here with trying to squeeze more tool buttons in here? I could get on board with that.

As for the original post, I may not understand it entirely but between regions, markers, tempo data, and the timeline ruler, it actually seems to me like the use of space in the arrangement window is fairly economical. It seems about on par with Pro Tools. Would you mind making a quick and dirty mock-up like deeb did?
Allspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:30 AM   #15
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allspice View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like a “carriage return” in toolbars would be a potential way to fix your issue here with trying to squeeze more tool buttons in here? I could get on board with that.
Agreed.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:48 AM   #16
ivan.lt

I've wanted to be able to do this for a long time. I actually made this request in the past. This is how my toolbar currently looks like:

Half of this screen space is wasted. I don't need a larger toolbar, I'd like something more useful instead. Now, to make this criticism constructive, here's what I suggest. Regions and markers could be overlaid on the ruler. The secondary row of units of measurement (time in this picture) could be optional. The whole toolbar/timeline area could be made optionally scrollable! I definitely don't need it visible at all times.

Another useful (to me) layout approach would be to replace the toolbar with the transport bar from the bottom of the screen. I don't use it that often and I'd gladly squeeze all of the transport bar controls into that area.
ivan.lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:29 AM   #17
karbomusic

It is a toolbar area FWIW, for the vast majority it shouldn't be a difficult issue to fix because I find it difficult to believe no one could find and use a couple extra buttons there.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:23 AM   #18
ivan.lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It is a toolbar area FWIW
Things evolve. I wish this element of Reaper's interface was more flexible.
ivan.lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:52 AM   #19
deeb

i am not into this! but it seems the idea of creating several toolbars that fit each of the needed rows on the timeline (markers, regions , etc) would be a way to solve this and expand for future things that might happen (example: Chord Markers)

Anyway! thank's all