Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-21-2015, 08:38 PM   #41
ponk
Human being with feelings

Hey, PPoS - funny post, but you haven't failed anything. As you have surmised, Reaper comes with nothing in the way of drums. It does come with a powerful, and complex, sampler (RS5k), and some generous users have come up with some amazing kits to use with it. Pretty difficult for a new user, though to be fair all decent samplers are somewhat complex.

There are easier ways to start out, though. I'd suggest looking at loops and software drum machines. Download a copy of MT Power Drum Kit - a free, easy to use vsti, and just start playing around with sounds and midi. Also try the Addictive Drums free demo, to get a feeling for what a software drummer feels like.

Programming drums from scratch can be a bear, so hope some of this out of the box stuff can help.
ponk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:57 AM   #42
PigPenofsoftware

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponk View Post
Hey, PPoS - funny post, but you haven't failed anything. As you have surmised, Reaper comes with nothing in the way of drums. It does come with a powerful, and complex, sampler (RS5k), and some generous users have come up with some amazing kits to use with it. Pretty difficult for a new user, though to be fair all decent samplers are somewhat complex.
A different forum and a different forum user steered me to a single video tutorial which opened some locks for me. But I have yet to make a single drum track of more than 1 hit. I may never get to it - time invested so far and time required in future just doesn't seem worth it now.

I may write a separate post describing my journey to drum Enlightenment Level I.
But it starts with
1) There are no drums in Reaper.
2) Brace yourself- It's gonna be like learning to play TWO instruments - first is a MIDI thingy, second is a sampler software module. How they go together exactly is at Enlightment Level II (so I don't know yet - I'm operating off hunches and bad guesses right now)
3) People who are doing drums in Reaper built their setup from pieces they got from places. Those places vary widely in time, web location, complexity and cost. On forums they find it more fun to talk about the differences between the various pieces ("what's the best.....") than how the parts work together.
4) The places they put those pieces in their copies of Reaper vary as widely as the individuals involved. After the download you may have to start a search from C:\
5) etc

I started out to play guitar and sing some songs and record them for my 80 year old Mom (thus I'm a little bit younger than that). Having some drum sounds seemed like a nice idea. Now it doesn't seem worth the trouble. Anyway, she knows I don't play drums.

Last edited by PigPenofsoftware; 04-22-2015 at 06:26 AM.
PigPenofsoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:37 AM   #43
tgraph

to PigPenoS: I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, but all of this recording and mixing seems beyond your abilities. It might make more sense to make use a of a friend who is more handy with it all. Let someone else record you playing and the 2 of you walk thru the mixing and compiling your cd... It's not for everyone. I hope this isn't taken as judgmental in any way. This whole music/computer thing just isn't suited to everyone. As you can see in the forums, people with years of experience still struggle with issues every day... People that are good at it, and enjoy the struggle possibly. You don't seem to be having any fun with this.
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:05 PM   #44
PigPenofsoftware

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgraph View Post
to PigPenoS: I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, but all of this recording and mixing seems beyond your abilities. It might make more sense to make use a of a friend who is more handy with it all. Let someone else record you playing and the 2 of you walk thru the mixing and compiling your cd... It's not for everyone. I hope this isn't taken as judgmental in any way. This whole music/computer thing just isn't suited to everyone. As you can see in the forums, people with years of experience still struggle with issues every day... People that are good at it, and enjoy the struggle possibly. You don't seem to be having any fun with this.
No offense taken. I got my $60 worth using it as a post-tracking mixer. I'm not using it to record (I use a mixer to a DR-40 then transfer files).
If I stay in that operating envelope it's enjoyable and I'm expanding the boundaries without much stress.

It's the stuff that others are doing that don't have adequate documentation for my level of understanding that frustrates me. I do not enjoy struggling with computers because unlike the stuff I know well - engines, electricity, nuclear reactors - computers don't smoke, leak, spray, whine, whirr, screech or glow red hot to tell you what's wrong.

My wife keeps our home computers alive. She says she "lives to reboot."
I'm waiting for her to look the other way so I can put a .45cal hole in it....

Oh - and I have very few friends. Workplace is highly isolated and I drive a long way to go to/from so little time. No music/recording friends at all. ( not complaining -it's just the situation until something changes)

Last edited by PigPenofsoftware; 04-22-2015 at 12:15 PM. Reason: friends
Old 04-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #45
PigPenofsoftware

I actually now have some drum sounds and some MIDI tracks to run them and a clue about how it works.

It was Bill Gates' Evil Elves obstructing me the most.

Here are 3 roadblocks I cleared with my forehead-

(1)User Manual describes directory structures for XP. We're on Win 7. MS changed that stuff around so don't bother looking there. The ultimate name of the file or directory is what you want but you won't find it until you do #2.

(2) Win 7 default is to hide files. Reaper installs with mostly hidden files - at least for the important stuff you have to work with to do sampling. Searching for them by name won't find them. Set the directories to SHOW HIDDEN FILES.

(3) Win 7 default is to suppress file type extensions so that a file like "Tom.wav" shows as "Tom" while "Tom.wav.repeaks" shows as "Tom.wav" leading to copying the wrong files as samples. Set the directories to SHOW FILE EXTENSIONS.

As a former (expert unix) co-worker of mine would stand up and exclaim while trying to get MS stuff to run - "DAMN YOU BILL GATES!"

(I know, everyone born after 1970 knows all this already.)
Old 04-23-2015, 12:50 AM   #46
whiteaxxxe
Banned

?????

what has all that to do with directory stuff and where MS puts it? dont you decide where things go and where the directory is you made because you wanted your stuff to go there?

you cant compare to unix, both worlds have nothing to do with one another. Win anynumber is a GUI for an OS. what is the problem to use a graphic interface?

and well, I was born way before 1970 and I know that stuff. like nearly 30 years ago, because Ataris worked exactly that way. afaik Amigas too. so there is nothing new to the way Windows behave.

and yes, Bill Gates way at times the most wanted-to-be-killed man alive (before GWB and OBL came up ... ) ... but that doesnt have to do anything with the directory structure. its the same with '95, '98, '98SE, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 ... because YOU decide. if you let Windows decide for you, you are screwed. I give you you that ...

but who would come to such an idea ...
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:49 AM   #47
ivansc

whiteaxx: A computer luddite, as this poor chap has already confessed to being.

He has a great deal of sympathy from me - I spent a considerable amount of time teaching a government-run course for older people who were not computer savvy to get them up and running with the basics. At the time it ran through the public library system, using their Windows 2000 based wide area network system. How I ever managed to teach as many as I did to actually USE the net, Word for Windows, etc., I will never know.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:11 AM   #48
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
whiteaxx: A computer luddite, as this poor chap has already confessed to being.

He has a great deal of sympathy from me - I spent a considerable amount of time teaching a government-run course for older people who were not computer savvy to get them up and running with the basics. At the time it ran through the public library system, using their Windows 2000 based wide area network system. How I ever managed to teach as many as I did to actually USE the net, Word for Windows, etc., I will never know.
well, I did these kinda things too. office for newbies. but thats not the point, I think of being a newbie. everybody was at one point. (no, you dont need to do a carriage return at the end of the line, that is a computer, he knows how to break a line ... oh, thats all upper case, you hit this key by accident ... no, to type on on another page there doesnt have to be enough paper in the printer ...) but I think its not good, to let false statements being given as help let stand as advice.

that doesnt help nobody.

its important to tell someone that you have to "tweak" Windows, as for showing file-types and showing hidden directories. but it is false that Reaper uses hidden directories, at least if you run a portable install, what I would recommend in all cases. that way you dont end up having no knowledge of where what was going. then set up a directory on D:\ or E:\ or somewhere - but NOT on C:\ - and call it VSTplugins or something and then install every plugin into this folder. nearly every installer let you do this, point to a directory of your choice. so every time you have the chance to choose a directory for plugins: choose and dont let the system choose it. the plugins with only a .dll you can put into it manually.

after that point Reaper to that directory as the folder where all the plugins are and let Reaper do a rescan.

all plugins should be found.

I mean ... its tough for any software developer, to deal in a manual with basics of Windows or any other OS. its not their job. to run a software and to learn a software the basic knowledge and usage of a computer should be there in the first place.

its like running a microwave oven: if you dont know how to plug that thing in you shouldnt start with an advanced cooking course.

once a new student came to me, waved me a startocaster in the face and said: "that one is new. its my first guitar. next week there is party, I have told some friends that I would show up there with my guitar. can you please show me some tricks in guitarplaying so that I dont make a fool out of me at that party?"

so from his standpoint he was correct in that he assumed: nearly everybody on this planet plays guitar, how hard can it be?, this guy - me - can show me something and all is good. if you dont know anything - whats not a fault - you dont know how much to learn. thats too not a fault, how could you know? but to give out a little (and not correct) knowledge as advice ... I dont know. thats not the right approach I guess.

anyway ... we will get everybody up and running a million dollar audio-business. at least Reaper up and running on a Windows PC.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:25 AM   #49
viscofisy

@PigPen - I didn't read the whole thread - if any or all of the following is extraneous, the just ignore.

........ a lot of the confusion over drum software (and VSTis in general) stems from the distinction between MIDI and Audio.

If you really haven't managed a single bar of drums, then I don't mind talking you through it till you at least get the flow.

And further - a lot of the confusion over MIDI stems from the fact that it was originally conceived for hardware.

MIDI is a message sending protocol - used for triggering Audio.

As far as sampled Drum software goes, it can be broken down into 2 parts :

1)A software "Player" and
2)A sample Library (ie folders where recordings of real drum hits are stored).

You send only a signal via MIDI >>>>>it goes through Reaper to the Player>>>>>the Player calls up the wav sample>>>>Reaper plays the wav sample.

What you have left behind on your Reaper MIDI Drum Track (if you recorded anything or loaded a pre-made loop) are the signals which will re-trigger those samples when played.

The MIDI Editor can be opened by double clicking on your MIDI Drum Track in Reaper.

That opens a "Piano Roll" showing a piano keyboard.
Some (not all) of the Piano Keys represent different Drum Hits.

If you have a Drum VSTi (Player) loaded on the Reaper Track, you can click the "track area" to the right of the Piano Keys in the MIDI Editor, and if there's a Drum Hit linked to that Piano Key then you'll hear it play.

If you click and drag you can "write" a note - it will be saved on the Reaper Track (both in the MIDI EDITOR and the actual Reaper Track with which it is associated.

If you want you can load a pre-recorded MIDI Drum Loop which is just a pre-written series of these MIDI note "signals".

Otherwise you can "play" instead of write the notes (using a MIDI USB keyboard or other MIDI USB controller).

Whether you load a pre-made MIDI loop, draw it in by hand in the MIDI Editor, or record it in real time, the information in the MIDI Editor is the same type of information........ie signals or messages which report back to the Drum VSTi (Player).

Probably the best free Drum VSTi (Player and Samples) for ease of use is the MPowerDrummer2 (to begin with).

You'll notice if you download any sampled Drum VSTi that it has, as I said, two components :
Player (the .dll file or VSTi itself)
and Samples.

These are often stored separately at different locations on your hard drive......and you'll ususally be asked to choose these locations (or go with the standard setup) when installiing

What Reaper wants to know is where the Player (ie VSTi.....the .dll file) is located.
You tell Reaper this in the OPTIONS>>Preferences >>>VST page.
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:58 AM   #50
PigPenofsoftware

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
its important to tell someone that you have to "tweak" Windows, as for showing file-types and showing hidden directories. but it is false that Reaper uses hidden directories, at least if you run a portable install,
You have to tweak Windows in ways that will support dealing with Reaper.
That's my point. That part goes unstated. Pre-requisites for success include stating the initial conditions. Assumptions cause trouble.

Reaper places files in hidden directories. The directories weren't created by Reaper so it's not Reapers defect exactly, it's the assumption that anybody can figure it out because everyone who wants to use Reaper is a software jock first and a Reaper user second. (this discussion very, very strongly supports this point of view doesn't it?)

I didn't see anything about recommending doing a portable install when I was installing Reaper. Since I don't have a laptop, why would I consider doing your recommended portable install? Why is the portable install better? Because you corral everything you need in a place you know to look for it? NOW you tell me!

You've forgotten what you had to learn to get to where you are.

I'm not your grandma taking a computer class in the nursing home. I've been using MS Office products for probably 25 years now. The MS crap pushed out the vi text editors and unix mail we were using before (Pascal text editor before that). But I was focused on soldering the boxes together - not writing software.
My current employer has all MS Office but has the system locked down so directory structure for programs is off limits to doing anything with it.

I'm an MS Office power user (I do the TPS report) - BUT NOT A PROGRAMMER! Install gets the default treatment from me because things break if I go off script.

Viscosify- yes, I comprehend the concept of MIDI. Thanks for the explanation. It's not the concepts or block diagrams that are my problem. It's the details of just exactly what do you call it and where do you find the pieces necessary. It's not horseshoes and handgrenades for me.

Last edited by PigPenofsoftware; 04-23-2015 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #51
viscofisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPenofsoftware View Post
It's not the concepts or block diagrams that are my problem. It's the details of just exactly what do you call it and where do you find the pieces necessary. It's not horseshoes and handgrenades for me.
If you can't find files/folders or don't see file extensions that's a completely separate Windows user-issue.

Mostly that shouldn't be neccessary.

For drums or any sample-based VSTi you mostly only need to :

1)Download the VSTi exe

2)Allow it to place the samples where it suggests (or direct it to a folder you previously created)

3)Tell it to place the VSTi .dll in whatever Folder you created for your VSTis and/or VSTs (you can have folders for each if you like)

4)Make sure Reaper is pointed to this 3) folder in :
OPTIONS>>Preferences>> VST

That's really all there is to it.

If you do the above correctly, you shouldn't have any further trouble.

If you do ....for some reason.....have to go searching for your samples Folder......and can't find it......then that's neither a Reaper problem nor a problem of the VSTi maker........it's a Windows user problem.

You should never have to go searching for the VSTi itself.
It's up to you upon installing to tell the installer to put the VSTi in your custom made folder (or to take a note of wherever you permit it to install).
Old 04-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #52
PigPenofsoftware

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post
If you can't find files/folders or don't see file extensions that's a completely separate Windows user-issue.
Yes. That's what I said. (Damn You Bill Gates- DYBG)

ReaDrums came with Home Recording. It put everything in the book materials location. Worked for the example but not as an actual future-use installation. Thus I was trying to move things to more sensible, findable, rememberable locations.

Having that that set of drums is enough for now so I'm not downloading anything more.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:03 PM   #53
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Reaper places files in hidden directories. The directories weren't created by Reaper so it's not Reapers defect exactly, it's the assumption that anybody can figure it out because everyone who wants to use Reaper is a software jock first and a Reaper user second. (this discussion very, very strongly supports this point of view doesn't it?)

I didn't see anything about recommending doing a portable install when I was installing Reaper. Since I don't have a laptop, why would I consider doing your recommended portable install? Why is the portable install better? Because you corral everything you need in a place you know to look for it? NOW you tell me!
Frankly, I agree with this. There is no good reason that anything having to do with Reaper itself should be anywhere other than C:\ProgramFiles\Reaper by default. If you can think of one, please holler, cause... We know the "Portable Install" keeps everything in one place nice and easy and there is no change in functionality. Why aren't all installs "Portable"? ...
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:12 PM   #54
karbomusic

Quote:
Any app would have the same advantages/disadvantages between a normal and portable install. There are also disadvantages to a portable install such as you have to manually associate .RPP with reaper.exe and ReWire and ReaRoute's ASIO driver aren't available in the portable install.

There is no need to worry about hidden directories whether a regular or portable install, just use export/import configuration which gets every one of them for you. You are simply hearing everyone's favorite, bestest, only way to go advice all at once. At some point you just sort of need to find your way and what works for you, which you are doing as part of this thread. It's not possible to not remain a newb and never have to back up and change direction and/or learn something new each day. Bummers, mistakes and "wish I had known" are part of the process.

Quote:
Why aren't all installs "Portable"? ...
Historic convention and dependencies. Anything that requires a registry entry is no longer a portable install whether that be a file association, COM type component or anything else that needs any type of registration beyond the folder it is installed in. Would be nice if more of them offered it and it is better now than in the past at least.

Last edited by karbomusic; 04-23-2015 at 10:19 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:58 AM   #55
viscofisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Bummers, mistakes and "wish I had known" are part of the process.
That should be written above every school door.....and solemnly repeated in every marriage oath.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:14 AM   #56
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
You have to tweak Windows in ways that will support dealing with Reaper.
That's my point. That part goes unstated. Pre-requisites for success include stating the initial conditions. Assumptions cause trouble.

no, thats wrong. you dont have to "tweak" Windows because of Reaper. you have to do it at all for getting your work - all work - done in any Windows application. or you have to live with the limitations.

that has nothing to do with Reaper. Windows its an OS with a GUI. if you use a Windows driven computer you have to learn the Windows basics, in any case. for office apps, for graphic apps, even for audio apps.

so stop blaming Reaper for anything. and you shouldnt make assumptions, you should know your stuff. and if you dont, you should learn it.

you can start a math app and blame the app for you not knowing what fractions are. simple - in principle.

and I dont get what it is about the whining ... get a MAC and see where you get with that. without knowledge of the OS and trying to run things out of the box.

if you dont know how an oven operates you cant blame the food.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #57
ashcat_lt

Sure, hidden extensions is a Windows thing, and pretty basic, and it was actually affecting a sampler and not Reaper itself. Why, though, does Reaper hide so much important crap in the Application Data folder - wherever your version of Windows decides that might be? Seems that kind of thing must be completely under the control of the Reaper installer itself, no? I didn't see any options in the install process to change that either. I'm not a Luddite, and it's not really a huge deal, but it is kind of annoying, especially since the place to look for my JS plugs is completely different between my XP machines and my 7 machine, and yes, those folders are hidden by default.

So, fine, not actually "portable" since some things maybe need to be registered, but why is it spread all over the drive?
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #58
karbomusic

Quote:
Why, though, does Reaper hide so much important crap in the Application Data folder - wherever your version of Windows decides that might be?
Program Files is a protected folder and appdata is where any files that will be written to after the install need to and should go because they are sandboxed properly there unlike program files which is system wide. That is the correct way to do it albeit seemingly hidden. Windows actually in some cases silently redirects to this location whether Reaper knows it or not, same for the registry depending on the key being written to. Reaper didn't used to do it this way and it caused lots of issues such as having to run Reaper with admin rights in some cases which should never be required. You may occasionally see issues where some VST(i) requires Reaper running as admin, that's a red flag to bad coding.

Again though, Export Configuration solves all of this and is why Justin added that feature. There is typically no reason to go to those directories unless something is broken and even then there is a menu option in Reaper that takes you straight to them which also means no guesswork required.

Last edited by karbomusic; 04-24-2015 at 08:50 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:32 AM   #59
PigPenofsoftware

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Bummers, mistakes and "wish I had known" are part of the process.
Software is this way I suppose.
I didn't learn to fly or operate nuclear reactors that way.

DELETE-This is the first app I've installed in this century.-END DELET EDIT CORRECTION - 2 small apps went fine. So this statement is incorrect.

"knowing my stuff" around installing windows things is not part of my job description nor any hobby activity up until this experience.

Another point for the theory that you need to be a software jock to deal with it.

Last edited by PigPenofsoftware; 04-24-2015 at 11:00 AM. Reason: remembered 2 small apps
Old 04-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #60
karbomusic

Quote:
Another point for the theory that you need to be a software jock to deal with it.
It's sort of like driving a car, all you want is to get from home to work and back which eventually means you know more about cars than you originally wanted. I don't think you need to be a car expert but it's helpful to know where the air filter is and how to change a tire, find and replace a blown fuse and so on. Computers are such a part of life these days, knowing one's way around isn't much different than reading and writing. Of course venting frustrations along the way is a perfectly normal part of that.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #61
PigPenofsoftware

Current cars are far more reliable than current PCs. (I've been working on my cars for decades down to changing clutches and doing valve jobs.)

It appears to me that PCs are in the stage where cars were in the early 1930s.
Things were starting to converge on standards but they were still competing and sometimes incompatible. Stuff didn't always work well or for long and you had to be ready to fix it by the roadside at any time. Controls are everywhere because usability testing of operators is decades away.

Of course with software, your PC may be hijacked and all your data destroyed by bandits so - maybe it's worse than the 1930s.

My wife keeps the home PCs running. She has infinite time (disabled) to reboot and rebuild operating systems from scratch and add 350 security patches in groups of 10 and then do it over again because the order of the patches matters...... can take 2 weeks sometimes.

I can do $60 worth with Reaper. But I got more and better instructions with the automotive code reader I bought to learn what the yellow dashboard light means.

Maybe some background would help- I score the reliability of a DoD system of systems that contains 8 million lines of code running on COTS hardware. I read about every action everyone takes to keep the whole thing running - including software resets, firmware updates, fan replacements and so forth. I also see the backlog of software defects as it grows with time the software is in use. But I'm not a software jock.

Last edited by PigPenofsoftware; 04-24-2015 at 10:54 AM. Reason: I do the TPS report
Old 04-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #62
karbomusic

Quote:
Current cars are far more reliable than current PCs. (I've been working on my cars for decades down to changing clutches and doing valve jobs.)

It appears to me that PCs are in the stage where cars were in the early 1930s.
See I don't see it that way. I spend pretty much zero time mucking with my 10 or so PCs + 20 virtual PCs and servers. I never have to do any of the stuff you just described but I know my way around the proverbial clutches and know what not to do and most of all what not to tweak which frees me up from all that troubleshooting to begin with. The worst machines I've ever come in contact with is those that get tweaked and manhandled too much.

In the early days, yea, needed special attention, as of late, one is typically shooting themselves in the foot trying to tweak and teach it a lesson.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #63
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
My wife keeps the home PCs running. She has infinite time (disabled) to reboot and rebuild operating systems from scratch and add 350 security patches in groups of 10 and then do it over again because the order of the patches matters...... can take 2 weeks sometimes.

see, thats where you/your wife are doing it wrong, because you hadnt cared about that before starting useless activities.

if you had your knowledge together before you go through that trial and error thing, you would spare yourself 2 weeks of work.

you install Windows / or 8 or 8.1, doesnt really matter). after that you tell Windows to look for new updates and install them. works out of the box, is reliable and the correct order of the patches and all is done within 2 hours.

see where information can get you. and this will give you another view upon the things. things look different if you know things. so in your position you are not really able to judge these things.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #64
PigPenofsoftware

Quote:
see, thats where you/your wife are doing it wrong, because you hadnt cared about that before starting useless activities.
Thank you for your opinion. You'll understand if I disregard it?

EDIT- It took her 2 weeks to rebuild the 80 year old sewing lady's computer after that lady clicked on ransomware. The computer was several years old so wiping the disc and starting over took time. Again, not as easy as you think because the user cases aren't what you think.

Last edited by PigPenofsoftware; 04-24-2015 at 12:54 PM. Reason: effect of ransomware
Old 04-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #65
PigPenofsoftware

Might as well just end the thread with what I would say to the next person-

Reaper is an amazing, feature-rich product with a steep learning curve.
It deserves to be well-liked for its potential.

What you can get out of it using add-ons is proportional to your software skills.

I'm a software dumbass. I can only get $60 worth.
Since I'll probably stay a software dumbass (I do other things than tinkering with software) - that's where I'll stay - $60 worth.

Can a Moderator lock the thread so things stay polite?

Last edited by PigPenofsoftware; 04-24-2015 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Moderator request
Old 04-24-2015, 01:53 PM   #66
karbomusic

Quote:
Can a Moderator lock the thread so things stay polite?
I wouldn't worry about it. People just trying to help; some better at it than others at doing so. Nevertheless, there is good info in the thread and stuff peeps need to know and someone might have some additional worthwhile questions that someone can give worthwhile answers to.

Just remember you don't have to tweak for Reaper in the vast majority of cases, directories are accessible in reaper and any config/settings in those directories can be exported and imported from within reaper without needing to know where they are. Run with that and take care.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #67
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Thank you for your opinion. You'll understand if I disregard it?

EDIT- It took her 2 weeks to rebuild the 80 year old sewing lady's computer after that lady clicked on ransomware. The computer was several years old so wiping the disc and starting over took time. Again, not as easy as you think because the user cases aren't what you think.
to set up a Windows machine within 3-4 hours is easy. if you need longer you dont know what you are doing and/or do it wrong. your posting is prove that I am right. I install Windows on a nearly regular basis since Win 95. that wasnt fun. but nowadays the 3-4 hours including all Win updates is normal.

point is: you dont know your tools (Windows & Reaper) as well as that you could judge them. so back down a bit, please.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:13 PM   #68
PigPenofsoftware

Quote:
point is: you dont know your tools (Windows & Reaper) as well as that you could judge them. so back down a bit, please.
How about we just put each other in the ignore list?
Old 04-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #69
whiteaxxxe
Banned

if that helps you ...