Old 09-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #1
Larry Kriz
Human being with feelings

Default Rendering to MP3

Strange that virtually nothing pops up in any search regarding MP3 rendering. The stuff I found on YouTube is outdated. They mention having to install a 3rd-party Lame encoder (memories of Cakewalk are flashing through my brain lol) But this more recent version of Reaper seemingly has that already built-in. Maybe I'm confused lol

Rendering to MP3 seems obvious, but where do I enter metadata/tags for the MP3 file?

Last edited by Larry Kriz; 09-07-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Larry Kriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
cfillion

REAPER doesn't support mp3 tags. You can add them using external software such as Kid3.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
Larry Kriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
REAPER doesn't support mp3 tags. You can add them using external software such as Kid3.
Woah seriously? Ummm.... what's up with that? Is there some reason why that feature isn't included with Reaper? I mean I've been rendering MP3's within Sonar and Samplitude for as long as I can remember. That seems like an important thing to be missing... no?

I remember having to pay a little extra for MP3 support inside Sonar. I think it was an extra $10, but it was a one time deal and all future versions of the program used that license/installer. From what I remember the Lame encoder had all that included. I'm a little shocked. I mean OK I'll get that Kid3 thing... but... lol It's been a long time since I had to think about this... is there some weird licensing thing going on with Fraunhofer?

Last edited by Larry Kriz; 09-07-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #4
akademie

Hi Larry Kriz,
maybe you misunderstood.

The MP3 export IS included in Reaper.
What is not available in mp3 export is the ability to fill in all metadata (Title, Author, Year etc..)
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #5
Larry Kriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Hi Larry Kriz,
maybe you misunderstood.

The MP3 export IS included in Reaper.
What is not available in mp3 export is the ability to fill in all metadata (Title, Author, Year etc..)
Sorry I wasn't more clear. I've made a few MP3s with Reaper. I understood the capability is there. What I don't understand is why there's no tagging option. I can't imagine any scenario where I'd want to make/distribute an MP3 file without any accompanying metadata. Makes no sense to me. There's something I'm missing here. I'm new to Reaper so I don't know what the history is. There was clearly a time when no MP3 encoding option was available. It was like that with Sonar too. You had to provide your own encoder (usually Lame) although Cakewalk eventually came up with a small add-on utility you could buy ($10) that provided the encoder and metadata options for all future versions. In fact I remember the anguish on the user forum about that. People didn't understand why they should have to pay an extra $10 lolol.

I haven't had to think about this stuff in 20 years lol I remember Cakewalk discussing this business - had something to do with the MP3 licensing arrangement with Frauhof if I remember correctly.

On a similar note: I know you can burn a CD in Reaper. Does it include CD-Text?

Last edited by Larry Kriz; 09-09-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #6
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kriz View Post
Makes no sense to me.
It makes sense for the Reaper developers, they decided it's work they don't want to do.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:27 AM   #7
Larry Kriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
It makes sense for the Reaper developers, they decided it's work they don't want to do.
I don't imagine anyone's getting rich writing code for Reaper. Or any DAW lol

I suppose they have to pick their (programming) battles carefully. If no one's crying, it must not be important. This isn't a deal breaker for me. Reaper is still a great bang for the buck product. I'll use one of the utlities that others have suggested and sleep well at night lol
Old 09-13-2019, 09:30 AM   #8
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kriz View Post
I know you can burn a CD in Reaper. Does it include CD-Text?
this video might help you:

regarding MP3 tagging:

If you structure your project file paths in a certain way, you can achive near-automatic tagging. In my main Reaper project folder, I create subfolders by the names of my clients or artists. Inside those folders, I create subfolders for every song, containing the respective project file and all media files in another subfolder below the project file. Project name format is [client's/artist's name] - [song title]. When rendering the final master file for a song, I have the rendering dialog pointing to the project folder (folder path line left blank) and the file name will be automatically generated by means of wildcards (using the string: $project - $year-$month-$day). I then render to 24 bit wave files. As soon as the wave file rendering has completed, I simply drag this file into the tiny LameDropXPd window which I've setup for auto-tagging by taking the aforementioned folder structure of the master file into account. As a result, the final MP3 is automatically and correctly tagged.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:39 AM   #9
Larry Kriz

wow very cool thanks SonicAxiom! I'll be looking into all that. Greatly appreciated!
Old 09-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #10
DVDdoug

I think the thing is... Tagging standards are a big mess!!!

For MP3s you have ID3v1 and/or ID3v2. Other audio formats use other tagging standards and CD Text has different standards. Of course, the basic album/artist/title/track fields are similar but different formats have different details/constraints and other fields are just different or non-existent. So for example, if you convert from FLAC to MP3 you are likely to loose (or alter) some metadata.

So, it is a lot of "work" to be compliant with all of the standards and there are existing tools that can handle the job and the developers of those tools can put all of their efforts into that one goal.

...You can ague that something boldly calling itself a "Digital Audio Workstation" should do everything but IMO REAPER does all of the important things related to recording, processing, mixing, and editing, getting you to the point where you have master files that you can use (perhaps with other software) to make a "product" in the format (and maybe with packaging) of your choice.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:56 AM   #11
Larry Kriz

Wanna hear something funny? In nearly 20 years of running a studio as a full-time occupation, practically none of my clients even know anything about this stuff.

They're 100% satisfied that their CD's have metadata for album & song titles, and maybe ISRC & UPC codes (which is actually rare). Most of them get UPC codes cuz they think it looks cool. I don't know of anyone that's ever sold their product retail except maybe in a small display box somewhere on a shelf in the back of the store. CD's get sold at gigs. Maybe. Along with other merch. Maybe.

MP3's have tags for album, artist and song titles. THAT'S IT. lol

I salute anyone who's working at a level where all this stuff matters absolutely. It always seems like I care more about metadata than my clients. Usually when I bring it up, I get blank stares and a lot of fidgeting. You'd be amazed how many don't even know how to spell their song titles. lol

Last edited by Larry Kriz; 09-14-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #12
Larry Kriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
I think the thing is... Tagging standards are a big mess!!!

...You can ague that something boldly calling itself a "Digital Audio Workstation" should do everything but IMO REAPER does all of the important things related to recording, processing, mixing, and editing, getting you to the point where you have master files that you can use (perhaps with other software) to make a "product" in the format (and maybe with packaging) of your choice.
Yeah I get it. I truly do. I've said it before Reaper is a great bang for the buck product as-is. Whatever it lacks, doesn't seem to be a deal-breaker (so far). Quite often I'm just doing singles... Windows already has an option for adding a few important tags so I/we already have a simple option for that. I'll grab one of the suggested programs and move on with my life lol. Any one of those is probably more full-featured than you'd find bundled with a DAW program anywho. ;-)