Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-09-2012, 05:46 AM   #281
tpulse
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viente View Post
Python 3.3.0 not supported by REAPER yet...
I tried to read almost everything and mostly looked at the pics/videos...this looks very interesting, i've not familiar with PT though..

Is it worth to install this on reaper anyway ??
tpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #282
tpulse

I now even tried this but did not get this to work ...at all :P
tpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #283
john doe

First of all, let me say:

Thank you for this remarkable tool. it made my workflow much smoother and much more relaxed.

i have just one request, i looked over the script, but i didn´t even know where to start.

in the script "playlist_explode_takes.py" i would like to add a setting, that all the new created child tracks should have a send to the parent, the one, where the takes originally come from.

also "master/parent send" should be disabled, but there already exists an action in the action list. there is also an action to select all child tracks, so i´m pretty much covered. but there is no action that all selected child tracks should have a send to the parent.

would you help me on this?
any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #284
jnif

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
First of all, let me say:

Thank you for this remarkable tool. it made my workflow much smoother and much more relaxed.

i have just one request, i looked over the script, but i didn´t even know where to start.

in the script "playlist_explode_takes.py" i would like to add a setting, that all the new created child tracks should have a send to the parent, the one, where the takes originally come from.

also "master/parent send" should be disabled, but there already exists an action in the action list. there is also an action to select all child tracks, so i´m pretty much covered. but there is no action that all selected child tracks should have a send to the parent.

would you help me on this?
any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
I would like to better understand what you are trying to achieve. In what kind of workflow would you need those sends?

jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #285
john doe

thanks for the reply.

i´d like to use the sends so that the exploded child tracks could use the fx chain on the parent track, the one i´m actually working on. i just realised, that there is an action in your toolset covering this issue. but this is done by duplicating the fx chain on the parent track into every single child track, if i understand this right. from my perspective, this has 2 disadvantages:

1. it increases cpu load.
i know muted tracks don´t use much cpu, but at least one of those child tracks will be not muted during the process and will be consuming cpu ressources. i like to use heavy amp sims and other guitar fxs (i do most of the comping for guitars and vocals) on those tracks and for my pc the doubled fx chain is quite noticeable.

2. i like to fiddle with the sound of those guitar amps and effects while i edit the takes and having a separate fx chain for every take makes this a bit intricate. i´d rather have one fx chain for all the takes, so if i change something in the sound i like, i could try the new sound for the other takes immediatly.

Thanks and Greets
Old 11-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #286
john doe

sorry, i forgot to mention...
i modified one of the costum actions a bit. i added a "cut selected take" action to the explode action. so, i just explode the take to the child tracks and cut the original takes from my guitar track. when i select and copy the desired parts, they go directly to the original track (with the fx chain). so it would make perfect sense to me to have all the child tracks routed to the original track.

(i actually use just two actions for my comping, explode and cut the take + copy the selected parts back to the original)
Old 11-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #287
jnif

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
thanks for the reply.

i´d like to use the sends so that the exploded child tracks could use the fx chain on the parent track, the one i´m actually working on. i just realised, that there is an action in your toolset covering this issue. but this is done by duplicating the fx chain on the parent track into every single child track, if i understand this right. from my perspective, this has 2 disadvantages:

1. it increases cpu load.
i know muted tracks don´t use much cpu, but at least one of those child tracks will be not muted during the process and will be consuming cpu ressources. i like to use heavy amp sims and other guitar fxs (i do most of the comping for guitars and vocals) on those tracks and for my pc the doubled fx chain is quite noticeable.

2. i like to fiddle with the sound of those guitar amps and effects while i edit the takes and having a separate fx chain for every take makes this a bit intricate. i´d rather have one fx chain for all the takes, so if i change something in the sound i like, i could try the new sound for the other takes immediatly.

Thanks and Greets
I think you should use Playlist Audition action on the child track. That action mutes all items on the parent track and plays the child track through the parent track plugin chain. Does that action solve your problem?

jnif
Old 11-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #288
john doe

sorry, i think i was a little missguided. i thought "master/parent send" meant, that a child would send audio to the parent AND the master at the same time. i just realised that the audio goes through the folder to the master. i feared if i record and edit guitars this way i would hear both the clean and the processed signal at the same time...
but all this time the whole thing worked exactly the way i wanted it to be...

sorry again for the hold up, but i appreciate the effort.

Thanks and Greets
Old 11-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #289
Jeronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post
^^ the same here!

I don't know PT playlists either but for comping, we use the S&M Resources view. 1 click to save a "comp" (with splits, fades, etc..), 1 dbl-click to restore another:

(now that we have take alignment, I think this is the thing I use the more in the extensions. I can detail that if interested..)
The only problem with this solution, is saving new track templates... this way, with one session... I can make a mess on my TrackTemplates folder...

PS.: I just found that I can save the track templates on the session folder...

Last edited by Jeronimo; 11-23-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Jeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #290
Rumi

Thanks for all the programming, that functionality sounds awesome!

However, when I click on the + button on the far left of the toolbar (or actually any button, as far as I've tested it so far) Reaper immediately crashes. This is in Reaper 4.402 on Mac OS X 10.8.4 and Python 3.2. Is this not supported?

Also, could it be that installing this package slows down Reaper? It is stuttering on my MacBook since I've installed it.

Thanks, best wishes,
Rumi
Rumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #291
Rumi

I still don't have any success with this. Is there a wrong path somewhere in my system? Or does it not work on OS X 10.8?

Any help would be very appreciated!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #292
jnif

I just tested Playlist scripts in Reaper v4.52.
In a quick test everything seems to be working correctly.

I'm using Windows 7 64bit, Reaper v4.52 32bit, and Python 3.2 32bit.

Installing and using Playlist scripts should not slow down normal operation in Reaper. Some Playlist script actions can be a bit slow if you run them on multiple tracks and multiple items at the same time.

Have you been able to run any other Python ReaScripts?
I would recommend you to try some simple test scripts first just to verify that your Python install is working.

jnif
Old 09-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #293
Rumi

Hi jnif,

thanks for your reply!

It is working now - the path to Python 3.2.2 was wrong, Reaper must have chosen an older Python that is still installed somewhere on my computer - and the slowing down seemed to have other reasons.

It all works fine now, and I'm exploring SWS Extensions now. Reaper makes Logic look like a strange and not really usable toy. So many things that I missed in Logic are just a click away in Reaper.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #294
amagalma

Hello!

Thank you for your work! Although, I 've never beeen a PT user, I prefer the playlist workflow than Reaper's native take system.

May I suggest a couple of things?
1) When there are multiple items selected and one sets a playlist active, the item selection is lost. This does not happen when only one item is selected. Is it possible to program the "playlist set active", so that the item selection is not lost no matter if it is one or many items?
2) The way I use your playlist: I use a custom command to backup/archive a duplicate of the original track and then I explode the takes to playlists and delete the takes from the original track. I use the original (empty now) track (which now has become a folder) to move there my comp. I activate each playlist (which brings it to the top) in order to listen to it and to be close to other tracks so that I can compare waveforms and see if there are rhythmic problems. When there is a part I like, I activate the original track and use the "copy selected to active" command so that a copy of the take goes to my comp track. Could you make another command that would copy the selected part directly to the original track, without having to activate it first? I hope you understand what I mean!

Thank you!
amagalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #295
amagalma

And another question... What does exactly the Solo command? It seems to work like a mute/unmute button over here rather than a Solo..
amagalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:56 AM   #296
jrp

On OSX 10.10, reaper5pre7 and latest S&M i get an error when running any of these scripts (all my other scripts are running fine):

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "playlist_create_new_multi.py", line 14, in <module>
projGroupOverSaved=getProjGroupOver()
File "/Users/petrol/Library/Application Support/REAPER/Scripts/playlist_script_func.py", line 520, in getProjGroupOver
offset = RPR_projectconfig_var_getoffs("projgroupover", 0)[0]
NameError: global name 'RPR_projectconfig_var_getoffs' is not defined

Any idea?
I would definitly love to try this, seems like a lot of efford went into the coding and workflow.
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #297
Infidel

Would anyone be so kind to make a video tutorial as to how to use this?

Its really interesting but confusing at the same time,so many toolbars :S:S:S
Infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:32 PM   #298
steveonbass73

Default Playlists and Reaper 5 64bit

Hi,

Just a query... does your Playlists system work on Reaper v5 64bit on Mac?

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by steveonbass73; 04-01-2016 at 03:08 AM.
steveonbass73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #299
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
On OSX 10.10, reaper5pre7 and latest S&M i get an error when running any of these scripts (all my other scripts are running fine):

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "playlist_create_new_multi.py", line 14, in <module>
projGroupOverSaved=getProjGroupOver()
File "/Users/petrol/Library/Application Support/REAPER/Scripts/playlist_script_func.py", line 520, in getProjGroupOver
offset = RPR_projectconfig_var_getoffs("projgroupover", 0)[0]
NameError: global name 'RPR_projectconfig_var_getoffs' is not defined

Any idea?
I would definitly love to try this, seems like a lot of efford went into the coding and workflow.
Same problem here... Win7 Reaper 5.33
Old 09-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #300
Kad974

Hi,
Playlist script is always functional with the latest version of Reaper (Mac osx)?
Congratulations for this very useful script.
Kad974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:08 AM   #301
Anantich

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
Same problem here... Win7 Reaper 5.33
Have a same problem here on mac. How to solve it?
Anantich is offline   Reply With Quote