Old 10-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #1
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Default Testing dither ?

Most people agree that dither is a good idea but does anyone have some objective tests to compare dither plugins ? I'd like to test a few if I had a clue how. :-)

Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
Judders

Bounce a few versions and see if you like the sound.

I haven't done that for a long time, but I did find that in Logic I preferred the POW-R 3 noise shaping over the other options. The difference was barely perceptible though.

Mostly it really doesn't matter what dither you use. All you need is that bit of noise. I've read convincing arguments for both noise-shaped and flat dither.

What were you looking to objectively test?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Bounce a few versions and see if you like the sound.

I haven't done that for a long time, but I did find that in Logic I preferred the POW-R 3 noise shaping over the other options. The difference was barely perceptible though.

Mostly it really doesn't matter what dither you use. All you need is that bit of noise. I've read convincing arguments for both noise-shaped and flat dither.

What were you looking to objectively test?
I was looking at the different airwindows ones for starters but I didn't think I would hear it in my pop mixes.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #4
Judders

Well, if you can't hear it then it isn't really a concern.

However, I just saw this which has some good examples and a method to test different dithers for yourself: https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/he...cts-dithering/
Old 10-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
Coachz

Nice article. Thanks Judders :-)
Old 10-13-2019, 01:02 PM   #6
Judders

You're welcome, Coachz
Old 10-13-2019, 04:02 PM   #7
DVDdoug

You can do a blind ABX test.

Ethan Winer did some tests and didn't hear any difference.

IMO - There are a LOT of things that really affect sound, a few things that make a small difference, and things like dither that probably make no difference at all. Nobody is going to listen to your CD and say, "you forgot to dither", or "you used the wrong dither".

So... "follow the general rules" and dither whenever you downsample but don't spend too much time on it and don't worry too much about using the wrong dither algorithm...
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:03 PM   #8
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
You can do a blind ABX test.

Ethan Winer did some tests and didn't hear any difference.

IMO - There are a LOT of things that really affect sound, a few things that make a small difference, and things like dither that probably make no difference at all. Nobody is going to listen to your CD and say, "you forgot to dither", or "you used the wrong dither".

So... "follow the general rules" and dither whenever you downsample but don't spend too much time on it and don't worry too much about using the wrong dither algorithm...
Thanks, that's my plan
Old 10-14-2019, 02:35 AM   #9
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
Nobody is going to listen to your CD and say, "you forgot to dither", or "you used the wrong dither".
...or will they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
When I hear the symptoms in a mix, I contact the mixer and ask for a dithered version. I've yet to be wrong about a mix not having been dithered. I'm sure I've worked on plenty where I couldn't tell but it has happened enough times that now I just do it or else print 32 float.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/show...37&postcount=8
Old 10-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #10
heavymetalmixer

In my case I preffer to always have the dither plugin on the mixbus and even render through it, this is because I CAN hear the difference between having it and not, but it's mostly because I don't want the mix to sound different after exporting.

Also, I deactivate Reaper's dither and noise shaping. My preffered dither is Airwindows Ditherbox on NJAD 24 for mixing, and 16 for mastering.
heavymetalmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #11
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymetalmixer View Post
In my case I preffer to always have the dither plugin on the mixbus and even render through it, this is because I CAN hear the difference between having it and not, but it's mostly because I don't want the mix to sound different after exporting.

Also, I deactivate Reaper's dither and noise shaping. My preffered dither is Airwindows Ditherbox on NJAD 24 for mixing, and 16 for mastering.
I didn't know Reaper had dither. Is that on the render page?
Old 10-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #12
heavymetalmixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I didn't know Reaper had dither. Is that on the render page?
Yeah, after you go to File > Render...
Dither and Noise Shape are under the options for Resample mode (if needed).
heavymetalmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #13
serr

Considering that the only need for dither is with 24 to 16 bit reductions. And for the old 16 bit format - the CD - it has become SOP to master the audio to the volume war ear bleeding treble esthetic.

Who actually has a recording with delicate low level sections and exposed reverb trails and the kind of thing where you heard damage from the 16 bit reduction that was masked by adding dither noise?

Unless there's some relevant element of audio buried deep into the decimal dust that I decide needs to be dug out - a stretch in 24 bit land and even in 16 bit most of the time - I'd most often rather truncate than add noise. And if some important element of sound is buried that far... my mix must be out to lunch in so many ways that talk about dither isn't even on the agenda.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote