Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-25-2020, 05:33 AM   #1
Megatron
Human being with feelings

Default Do I need a x86 VST folder in Reaper?

Apologies if this has been touched upon elsewhere, but am trying to understand in todays environment where majority of plugins are now 64bit, and alongside the bridging feature in Reaper, if its okay to simply place my 32bit plugins in the 64bit VST folder location within Windows?

I have done this on a few and they still work in bridged mode when opened in Reaper (am using Reaper 64bit btw), but aside from being able to manage and reference plugins better by having both 64bit and 32bit VST folders respectively in Windows, are there any benefits/drawbacks? How do other users manage their various 32/64 bit plugins on their OS?

There are some manufacturers that install the .dll plugin files in both 32/64bit locations (e.g. Native Instruments Guitar Rig) so is this because of using the standalone in 64bit and only being able to use the 32bit as a VST plugin?

Any advice and recommendations are most welcome.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:02 AM   #2
martmix

i do have some 32bit plugins in the x64 folder and all run fine..
martmix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:18 AM   #3
Megatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by martmix View Post
i do have some 32bit plugins in the x64 folder and all run fine..
So when you are installing 32bit plugins and it asks for the folder directory, do you pick the VST folder under C:\Program Files\VstPlugins or C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins? I generally pick the latter, but if Reaper is able to bridge am wondering what the point is in having seperate directories.

If I were to choose the same location for Guitar Rig, as an example, would this conflict with both 32/64 bit being installed in the same location, as on appearance the .dll files look exactly the same?

Am doing a bit of VST house keeping atm :-)
Old 05-25-2020, 12:24 PM   #4
valy

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/e...ons-on-Windows

Some possibly useful info from Steinberg
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #5
solger

If both 32- and 64-bit plugin folders are used in the VST plugin path in Reaper's preferences, Reaper favors the plugin version which is listed last (if the 32- and 64-bit plugin versions have the same name)
Like it's the case, for instance, with the NI plugins (Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Reaktor, ...).

As example:
  • 'c:\vst32; c:\vst64' favors the 64-bit plugin version (if the plugin name is the same)
  • 'c:\vst64; c:\vst32' favors the 32-bit plugin version (if the plugin name is the same)

In general, it's a good strategy to keep 32- and 64-bit in separate folders. This makes it easier to distinguish between them (which is often not possible from looking just at the plugin naming alone). Or if you don't need any 32-bit plugins, it's possible to just add the 64-bit plugin folder to the VST plugin path (so only these are getting scanned/used - skipping any 32-bit plugins completely). The same applies the other way, as well: if you don't need any 64-bit plugins (you can just add/use the 32-bit plugin folder).

Many user (including me) are using separate (custom) folders for each plugin bit-version. Similar to the examples above.
Although many plugin manufacturers already allow choosing a custom install location, there are still some which install plugins to a default location regardless (at least under Windows). So to a certain degree it's unavoidable that some plugins (of the same bit-version) are spread across multiple folders.

Last edited by solger; 05-26-2020 at 08:37 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
Megatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
If both 32- and 64-bit plugin folders are used in the VST plugin path in Reaper's preferences, Reaper favors the plugin version which is listed last (if the 32- and 64-bit plugin versions have the same name)
Like it's the case, for instance, with the NI plugins (Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Reaktor, ...).

As example:
  • 'c:\vst32; c:\vst64' favors the 64-bit plugin version (if the plugin name is the same)
  • 'c:\vst64; c:\vst32' favors the 32-bit plugin version (if the plugin name is the same)
Solved!!! Thanks for this advice - I changed the ordering in Reaper and now the 64bit plugins (specifically for NI) take precedence :-) This is something I did not know. I've been out of the game for a while and getting back into recording again since lockdown. This has save me a lot of aggravation.