Old 05-19-2020, 04:34 PM   #1
fwrunner2018
Human being with feelings

Default Deceptive advertising

Hi;
I have been considering the purchase of a keyboard controller.
Someone recommended Nektar, so I have had my eyes on the LX49+ for some time now.
My interest in making music waxes and wanes, so I have been 'sitting on the fence for more than a year now. All that time, I have been watching the price on the Nektar LX49+, which was sitting at $159.99 until recently when I re-visited several online stores, including Sweetwater, Sam Ash, and even Amazon.
The price from all three sellers is now $169.99. So I guess I should have grabbed it at $159.99. But I was hoping the price might drop instead.

Well, now I get to the subject of my rant.
Today, while visiting both the Sweetwater and Sam Ash web stores, I see the LX49+ selling for $169.99, but with an added 'Price Drop' tag.
Both stores are claiming a $20 price drop from $189.99 to $169.99.
That's funny, because I have not seen this product selling at either of those stores for $189.99 over the past year or more.
This is deceptive advertising.

Yes, I know that everyone does it, but somehow I came to believe (erroneously) that there was something different about the music industry.
I guess I'm just very naive.

Since both Sweetwater and Sam Ash are both touting a $20 price drop, I suspect that it is the manufacturer, Nektar, who is engaging in deceptive advertising.

Interestingly, on Amazon, the price is $169.99 but they are not advertising a price drop.

I don't really have a gripe about the price increasing by $10. After all, there have been serious supply chain interruptions due to COVID-19. But to use the tactic of advertising a price drop when in reality the price has increased is a low blow, especially considering that many musicians are hurting financially.

Perhaps I should send my complaint directly to Nektar.

Thanks. Rant finished.

fwrunner2018
fwrunner2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
Fabian

Interestingly (maybe) here in Europe, Thomann is selling the LX49+ for 1444 SEK, which is $149.

Thomann https://www.thomann.de/intl/search_d...LX49%2B&smcs=0
Old 05-19-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
fwrunner2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Interestingly (maybe) here in Europe, Thomann is selling the LX49+ for 1444 SEK, which is $149.

Thomann https://www.thomann.de/intl/search_d...LX49%2B&smcs=0
Interesting. When I clicked your link, the price is $124 USD. But shipping to the US is $48, which would make it more expensive than US retailers (assuming free shipping, which most offer).

If I do decide to purchase the LX49+, I think I'll buy it from Amazon. They're the only one who isn't touting a $20 price drop!
fwrunner2018 is offline   Reply With Quote