Old 05-27-2020, 09:31 AM   #1
MMPG
Human being with feelings

Default OSC FX FEEDBACK QUESTION

Recently I setup a custom touchOSC layout using the "default" osc file inside of reaper. I modified it where needed. Almost all of the commands / messages are behaving as I would assume with the exception of FX related messages. The intended function of this layout is primarily to act as a selected channel control window. Most of the controls I have added are for that purpose, with the exception being a few for transport control and region jumping.

As of now all of my sends are working properly, with the names of the sends being reported back to my IPAD, as well as the value strings showing db levels. I also have bi-directional control of the levels themselves. Meaning that if I make a change on the device it follows in reaper and if I make a change in reaper, it follows on the device in real time

The issue I am having seems to be specific to FX parameters and names. I was able to achieve normal type of control from the device to reaper by using mesages like "/fx/1/fxparam/1/value" for faders / buttons / knobs and "/fx/1/fxparam/1/value/str" to report the label text messages. If I move a fader or knob on the device it will respond in reaper, however it will NOT report the value string properly back to the device in real time. If I select another track and then reselect the original track touchOSC will jump to all of the proper values. Along with this issue is that if I move a fader or knob in reaper it does not move the accompanying fader / knob on the device. Like before though, if I select another track and then re-select it will jump to the values that are displayed in reaper. Is this how it is supposed to react?

When I switch over and use logicpad It seems to behave like I would expect from an FX standpoint (though there are many other things about the logicpad setup I dont like). The difference between my setup and logicpad is that I am trying to achieve dedicated faders to dedicated fx & fx parameters. I am NOT using generic knobs that become active for whatever FX has focus and therefore the parameters of the focused FX. In my setup the main window in touch osc for instance has a fader for "drive" which sits at the top of most tracks in my file template. As I switch from track to track this fader should always map to that parameter and only that parameter of that specific FX. same with the others like HP slope, HP freq etc....As a temporary fix for this I have been using touchOSC bridge so that I can send midi commands through RELEARN. Doing this has allowed me to have the proper bi directional control / feedback but I would much prefer to have this same type of functionality using only OSC. Also in doing this the labels in OSC still dont reflect the proper string values from reaper in realtime. It still requires the same movement as described before to force OSC to jump to the correct values. If I change the messages to be more generic like "/fxparam/1/value" it will report in real time and give me bidirectional control, BUT it will means that I cant have a fader in OSC be dedicated to a specific FX parameter, which I dont want.

If anyone has any suggestions, or If it is impossible to achieve what I am attempting feel free to tell me that as well. Thanks
MMPG is offline   Reply With Quote