Old 05-22-2020, 03:53 AM   #1
cemark
Human being with feelings

Default School me on control surfaces!

I'm curious about control surfaces, like e.g. Presonus Faderport 16 (https://www.thomann.de/se/presonus_faderport_16.htm) . However, I have never really given them much thought before today, so I need your help with understanding and learning the basics. (Yes, I am the curious type)

1. Since I am in Europe, I have browsed Thomanns web store for surfaces (controllers, as they call them), and there are plenty. Some of them list numerous DAW:s on their compatibility list, but Reaper is not on any of them (edit: Reaper IS actually on the list for the Presonus). How do I know if a certain controller works right out of the box with Reaper?

2. Our wonderful community is working hard on "interfaces" and the likes, all in the name of a number of acronyms that mean nothing to me. Is this work being done to extend a certain controller's capabilities, or to establish basic compatibility for many of them? Or somewhere in between?

3. How would you describe the improvment in ergonomics? Do you still have to reach for the mouse and keyboard, or can you do it all from the surface?

4. Do these controllers work like an analouge desk in that you can move faders and turn knobs simultaneously?

5. Since the number of tracks in Reaper (at least for me) will almost always be greater than the number of channels on the controller, how does the mapping from Reaper tracks to surface faders work? What happens when I move tracks around in Reaper?

Please, forgive my ignorance :-)

Thankyou for reading
cemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
Geoff Waddington

You will still have to use the mouse and keyboard, hopefully only for the tasks for which they are best suited

Here's a couple of quick demos of features:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ravhFzHcYKI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byqWh4Ukni8
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:00 AM   #3
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemark View Post
I'm curious about control surfaces, like e.g. Presonus Faderport 16 (https://www.thomann.de/se/presonus_faderport_16.htm) . However, I have never really given them much thought before today, so I need your help with understanding and learning the basics. (Yes, I am the curious type)

1. Since I am in Europe, I have browsed Thomanns web store for surfaces (controllers, as they call them), and there are plenty. Some of them list numerous DAW:s on their compatibility list, but Reaper is not on any of them (edit: Reaper IS actually on the list for the Presonus). How do I know if a certain controller works right out of the box with Reaper?

2. Our wonderful community is working hard on "interfaces" and the likes, all in the name of a number of acronyms that mean nothing to me. Is this work being done to extend a certain controller's capabilities, or to establish basic compatibility for many of them? Or somewhere in between?

3. How would you describe the improvment in ergonomics? Do you still have to reach for the mouse and keyboard, or can you do it all from the surface?

4. Do these controllers work like an analouge desk in that you can move faders and turn knobs simultaneously?

5. Since the number of tracks in Reaper (at least for me) will almost always be greater than the number of channels on the controller, how does the mapping from Reaper tracks to surface faders work? What happens when I move tracks around in Reaper?

Please, forgive my ignorance :-)

Thankyou for reading
Hey Cemak,
I just purchase a QCon Pro G2 and an extender unit because the mnf. Claimed it worked specifically with reaper. Only to find their implementation with reaper was buggy and not optimal (meaning some buttons did not stay lit and their overlay for reaper didnt utilize all the surface buttons.) Anyway, it's been less than a month and I found Geoffs CSI project. Been working on it and now I've gotten their controller to be much more functional than before and have been able to implement much of what I need. I'm still not done. The learning curve is steep but it's a great way to customize a controller for your needs. Take a look at the CSI project if you are looking for a way to customize a controller with reaper.
siniarch is offline   Reply With Quote