Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #41
Hedgehog
Human being with feelings

Oh, forgot to mention turning off worker threads doesn't fix the bypass problem on these effects.
Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:06 PM   #42
alex zonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog
Anybody using Sir convolution with Reaper?

I haven't tried it in .955 or .956 but in earlier versions of Reaper it was doing bad things when unchecking the effect in/out box. Very nasty noise upon checking/unchecking would calm down to occasional crackles that continued even after the Sir was removed.
No problems of that kind with SIR here, I'm happy to say. Amazing that the thing is freeware.
alex zonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #43
Hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex zonder
No problems of that kind with SIR here, I'm happy to say. Amazing that the thing is freeware.
I would find it to be quite amazing as well if it functioned.

I've tried downloading an older version of Sir, turning the CPU conservation control on and off, increasing my Edirol's buffer length, worker threads unchecked and while it's much better I still get a few cracks or pops. Maybe I have Isotope Vinyl running and I don't know it?
Old 05-25-2006, 11:32 PM   #44
Art Evans
Mortal

Seems ok here, though possibly there's a bit of the "overhang" problem I mentioned in another thread (tail of the reverb at the point where you stop playback is repeated at the point where you start playback).

(Just generated an impulse in "RaySpace" and loaded it in SIR. Neat trick. Saves any amount of trouble going to locations and popping balloons.)
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:27 AM   #45
Hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
Seems ok here, though possibly there's a bit of the "overhang" problem I mentioned in another thread (tail of the reverb at the point where you stop playback is repeated at the point where you start playback).

I don't think this has anything to do with reverb tails as it does it with completely dry tracks. It seems there are a few plugs that don't do it at all like the Kjaerhus effects, Digitalfishphones Endorphin and Blockfish, and the native Jesusonic stuff.

It is kind of odd that the plugs that really have trouble running at all like Sir tend to go completely batshit when I mess with the effect's in/out checkbox.

Maybe it's something with my system as I have had a lot of trouble with asio4all than most people do but most of these plugs I'm having trouble with in Reaper have worked fine for me in Adobe Audition.

My last try with asio4all was with 2.6 as some here have said that is better than the current version, this resulted in Reaper's Preferences/Devices screen being completely greyed out and eventually crashing altogether.

I don't know maybe I just need to go back to Audition and my Edirol driver. I like Reaper a lot but there are too many plugs that don't work with Reaper for me and the native effects tend to be a bit clunky.

While I'm whining... I'm getting timed out of this forum quite frequently lately, getting asked to log back in and having to rewrite messages.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:03 PM   #46
RokkD

This is the first time I've had a vst plugin not show up in the fx list.
It does however, show up in the DX list, after I run it through my vst/dx adapter.

Works as a vst in my other apps.

Juicy77 Amp
http://www.bteaudio.com/software/
RokkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:26 AM   #47
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

The free Coldcutter plugin makes Reaper (0,960) crash on my machine.
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:52 AM   #48
Del Pedro

Tubelimit (can be found here in the ftp area: http://hem.bredband.net/tbtaudio/ ):
Working, but no presets (or programs as it is called in Reaper) are available.

ParisEQ ( http://www.kvraudio.com/get/944.html ):
Working, but the knobs don't behave like faders (I hope you understand what I mean).
Old 06-06-2006, 05:48 AM   #49
Jae.Thomas

Default Guitar rig 2

working on and off
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:11 PM   #50
sinkmusic

Default reaper+posihfopit+spinbug

Did anyone had a curious "ToDo" window popping up when using Posihfopit or Spinbug with Reaper ??
It is weird, and pops up each time a click an efx window now !?
I think it is Betabugs SPinbug... I removed Posihfopit from the chain, and it was still here, then removed Spinbug, and everything seemed to be alright again...

Can anybody checkout ? (Spinbug is free)
http://www.betabugsaudio.com/plugs.php

Last edited by sinkmusic; 06-06-2006 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:55 AM   #51
PhilR

I'm having a few problems with drumagog. It seems to work fine, but the user interface is completly blacked out. If I drag the window off-screen a few of the UI controls become visible but all labels remain blacked out and the controls tend to disappear again.

Also, the "visual triggering" display does not work.
PhilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:26 PM   #52
Dukhlovi

Most of my synthedit creations do work very well in reaper. Only one creation complains sometimes about missing parameters and it behaves a bit strange (it plays automaticly a drum pattern when the track is armed) But that is more due to my building skills rather than Justins i guess. But it works anyway.
Dukhlovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:29 PM   #53
Dukhlovi

oh darn, i posted in the wrong thread. But i guess the synthedit created fx work also in reaper.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #54
ajs

Default VSampler 3 DXi caused serious BIOS crash

VSampler 3, running as a DXi, was having some problems loading in the Reaper FX window. The FX window would enlarge to make room for it, but it would be a blank window with no output. Closing Reaper then reopening it to the FX window would *sometimes* force VSampler to load.

Then, shorly after it loaded on one occasion, BAM out of the nowhere, the horrible BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH that said something to the effect, "Windows has encountered a serious error and has shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this problem persists, change your caching settings in the BIOS."

Wow! Never had that happen before.

-Andrew
ajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:47 PM   #55
ajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs

Then, shorly after it loaded on one occasion, BAM out of the nowhere, the horrible BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH that said something to the effect, "Windows has encountered a serious error and has shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this problem persists, change your caching settings in the BIOS."

Wow! Never had that happen before.

-Andrew
Crashed again, this time a few seconds after closing a VSamper-enabled Reaper. I took closer look at the error message this time. That part about the BIOS was just a suggestion, but it said, before that, "A driver may potentially be causing conflicts in your system" or something like that.
ajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:32 PM   #56
marce

Hi, Im new here, just trying reaper. Nice impressive list of features. It looks very stable. Im tryng to load the infinite list of plugins i have in my hardisk.
I know, it happens with any host, not all VST plugins works in all hosts/setups. Im wondering how reaper manage this, if any log file is created. I load my vst folder path, and in a given vst fx reaper crash. I suppose i must locate the evil dll, and move it. Beyond that, i like the way Tracktion manage this trouble. Like reaper, it dont like some plugins. But, if it crash while searching, the evil plugin is listed in an exclusion list, and is not taken in count for tracktion, so, you dont need to move the dll. If Tracktion crash while scanning, the next startup, it will continue from the point it crashed, excluding the bad plugin.
Well, can be a good idea some kind of exclusion list to avoid move some dll that works in other host.

Keep up the hard work, the program is a good one!
marce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:47 PM   #57
fluffy

There is a log created (a ini, actually). It is located in Documents and Settings/<username>/Application Data/Reaper
Old 06-12-2006, 10:22 AM   #58
marce

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy
There is a log created (a ini, actually). It is located in Documents and Settings/<username>/Application Data/Reaper
Thanks!
That ini file looks a little cryptic. If i wan that a plugin become not listed, i simple delete the line that refers it from the ini?
Old 06-13-2006, 12:22 AM   #59
bobsled

ChordMe crashed Reaper0962 during the initial vst scan while setting preferences (I always nuke the .ini before upgrading). Could be the .cfx files in ChordMe's preset folder? 0961 scanned this plug with no problem.

On the flip side, Metallurgy applied to just the drums in the Wings(Remix) demo with all other tracks muted is a wonderful thing.
Try preset (yes, I use presets) "(DRM)Gate-EWR"...yummy, I just wish I knew why...
bobsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:40 AM   #60
fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce
Thanks!
That ini file looks a little cryptic. If i wan that a plugin become not listed, i simple delete the line that refers it from the ini?
No, it'll just reload again.

When looking at the ini a loaded plugin will look similar to:

NxtPhase.dll=009C9FD5E57CC601,1719088949,Modulatio n - NxtPhase

If you delete everything after the first comma ( , ) it won't load the plugin.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:44 AM   #61
marce

Thanks!

Marce
Old 06-13-2006, 05:27 AM   #62
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy
No, it'll just reload again.

When looking at the ini a loaded plugin will look similar to:

NxtPhase.dll=009C9FD5E57CC601,1719088949,Modulatio n - NxtPhase

If you delete everything after the first comma ( , ) it won't load the plugin.
this is a nice tip....
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:55 PM   #63
-MattmaN-

In .962 Shortcircuit only makes a sound when I click on a midi note in the editor.
Otherwise during any normal playback,or recording it's silent.
-MattmaN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:24 AM   #64
Dukhlovi

Betabugs Widebug gives screaming noices in 0.965.
It worked nice in previous versions of reaper.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:54 PM   #65
Hedgehog

Simul Analog JCM900 and Twin are only working on the left side in 0.97.

This is on a mono track. I'm getting effect on one side and not the other, track meters show the obvious difference in level.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:31 PM   #66
bigwoody

Default Big Tic - Big Noise...

Just a heads up for anyone trying to use either Big Tic Hexline or Delay. These generate significant noise into the mix during playback. I noticed it started with the 0.965 Reaper release, but now that I have done some more regression testing there was lots of clicks and pops in earlier versions too. While these effects are kind of neat, you can easily accomplish similar effects using many other VST's available like Classic Chorus and or Delay, that we know work perfectly with Reaper.
bigwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:35 PM   #67
Justin
Administrator

Just a note, a lot of these plugs that create noise, are at fault (by not complying with the VST spec). We could support them (at the expense of CPU use), but would rather encourage those developers to fix them.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:19 PM   #68
bobsled

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwoody
...you can easily accomplish similar effects using many other VST's available like Classic Chorus and or Delay, that we know work perfectly with Reaper.
...as well as the effects available within Reaper itself. The Rea-plugs combined with the myriad routing options...well...the new (for me) possibilities have led me to pretty much dump my old way of doing things and returned me to experimenting with sound, not making noises sound the way they do because of the path they have to take. For example, take your fave synth or loop or whatever and try using an increase in number of channels allowed through that first track as a means to manipulate the most minute aspects of that initial sound...before it even gets sent to other tracks and/or effects...manipulate the source before it gets outsourced and use whatever parts of it (not length but harmonic structure [?]) that you'd like...or not... and then start checking out your fave vst on those chunks...

This instead of long chains of vsti stretching out toward the horizon...which is still kinda fun...

edit: I shoulda just said feel free to move around to the sides a little before moving ahead..

dang it...

Last edited by bobsled; 06-25-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:48 AM   #69
bigwoody

Thanks Bobsled your suggestions is cool and I will mess around from a learning perspective. Actually all I was doing was fattening up vocals and horns with a wider stereo effect. Pretty basic stuff, and there are tons of VST's that we know work with Reaper (and now I will test what ships with it) that can more than accomplish the same thing. To be honest, as a novice, the only thing that draws me to plugin VST's are the more intuitive UI's. I will spend some time with the REA Plugs and learn the nuances with what I expect to be very positive results.
I would much rather have Justin and team spend time on optimizing Reaper than retrofitting for VST's that are not complying to the published VST spec.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:00 PM   #70
bobsled

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwoody
I would much rather have Justin and team spend time on optimizing Reaper than retrofitting for VST's that are not complying to the published VST spec.
Well said...
Old 07-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #71
kejkz

In last version of REAPER (0.984) W1 limiter from Betabugs causes a imidiate program crash when loading or trying to acess w1 saved in previous versions. Avoid it!
kejkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #72
bigwoody

Default Preferences/FX Plugins/VST Compatibility mode

Elsewhere in the forum (I can't find it now) Jason referenced the Preferences option in FX Plugins called "Better buggy VST compatibility mode". What does the "slower" reference mean? I did some testing with this option selected and it seems to fix many of the offending issues in VST that are not written to spec. That said, I would rather use "compliant" VST's instead of greatly effecting my overall system performance. Can anyone give me an idea what might be effected by selecting this option? Thanks
Old 07-17-2006, 11:40 AM   #73
Youn

BetaBugs PhaseBug and W1Limiter crashes REAPER upon inserting

http://www.betabugsaudio.com/plugs.php
Youn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:31 PM   #74
Newbie Brad

I opened Gregjazz/Moonoi.tk's Cinematic Reverb VST in .989 and it seemed to make Reaper start some stuttering.
Newbie Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:12 PM   #75
sstillwell

I've figured out what is making some of my projects crash on playback...

Dasample GlaceVerb.

If GlaceVerb is in the project, it will work when I add it to the project. When I save, quit and come back to the project it will crash on playback. If I disable all plugs before playback, start playback and then start enabling plugs...once again it works...until the next time I quit and restart. Rinse, repeat.

Too bad...it's a nice reverb for a freebie. Any chance of getting REAPER to work with it (or getting GlaceVerb to work with REAPER)?

Scott Stillwell
sstillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:21 AM   #76
RokkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstillwell
I've figured out what is making some of my projects crash on playback...

Dasample GlaceVerb.

If GlaceVerb is in the project, it will work when I add it to the project. When I save, quit and come back to the project it will crash on playback. If I disable all plugs before playback, start playback and then start enabling plugs...once again it works...until the next time I quit and restart. Rinse, repeat.

Too bad...it's a nice reverb for a freebie. Any chance of getting REAPER to work with it (or getting GlaceVerb to work with REAPER)?

Scott Stillwell

Same here, been having this problem for quite sometime (using the same workaround) funny thing is though, some of my projects that include Glaceverb never crash, could be a combination of Glaceverb and other plugs, or Glacverb included with too many other plugs in a parent folder and/or the master out.....or nothing to do with Glaceverb at all.

btw, the crash I'm having at the mo is of the 'Run time error' variety. It seems to me that Reaper doesn't always get along very well with reverbs in general.. (read below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokkD
Here's a for instance: I have a project with 'Space' reverb on it, one minute it plays back fine, come in next day and it chokes on playback, so I swapped it for ariesverb, now playback is fine, but come in next day, and now ariesverb is choking on playback, switch back to Space and it plays back fine.

So the workaround for me is: Untick the reverb, click stop in the transport(even though it's already stopped) save-close-and reopen Reaper-tick the reverb, and now playback and rendering is fine again.
tbh, it doesn't bother me that much, as long as I can find a workaround and keep the project intact..

--
RokkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:25 AM   #77
olzzon

Just did a mix with TC powercore and sonalksis plugs.

Ran Voicestrip, classicreverb, megareverb, delay on powercore.
Worked great.

The sonalksis plugs worked perfectly in VST, but when you load the DX version, the default parameter sometimes are weird. But this happens in SawStudio too, so it´s probably more to do with the sonalksis DX ver that reaper.
olzzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:09 AM   #78
robo

Not working:

Convolver 4.4 Vst version

http://convolver.sourceforge.net/vst.html

still under development, but just a heads up. It A: doesn't pass audio and B: freezes loading impulses, killing the process in task manager then freezes windows.

I've emailed them so maybe sometime they're finally be a real partitioned convolution vst for free!

hasta - robot
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:18 PM   #79
sstillwell

GlaceVerb...more info.

As reported, GlaceVerb appears to work until you close REAPER and reopen the project that it is in. Pressing "Play" at that point generates a C++ Runtime Error. Disabling all effects, pressing "Play" and then re-enabling effects makes everything okay until the next time you close and reopen REAPER.

Turning off FX Render-ahead fixes the issue (you can then press "Play" immediately after loading REAPER and the project without problems), but obviously is not desirable as a long-term solution.

Justin, does this give you anything to work with?

Scott
sstillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:03 AM   #80
sinkmusic

Audio Damage FuzzPlus2 makes Reaper crash.