Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 05-29-2016, 05:12 PM   #1
SamuelBeckett
Human being with feelings

Default Crash, then lost a bunch of stuff

Hi there!

This is one of the first major issues I've had with Reaper, and I'm pretty confounded by it. Nothing I search seems to elicit any relevant information. I'll put my specs below.

Basically, Reaper crashed--I'm not sure why. It was a fairly intense session and for whatever reason my laptop was having a lot of trouble chugging through--I think the computer had been on for way too long and needed a restart. But I'm not really sure why it was slow to begin with (I know my laptop isn't the best, I mean I'm not sure why it was slow at that time).

Anyway, in its slow grind, it eventually just crashed, and when I restarted it the theme looked like it was from Windows 2000 or something--I'm guessing I was looking at the old, original Reaper skin. Changing the theme would not work. When I loaded a project, my effect plugins would not load, even though they had been successfully scanned in.

I couldn't figure out what to do, and I knew that I needed to update Reaper, so I did so, and of course the theme was back to looking good. My plugins loaded successfully. However, I did lose my custom shortcuts, and Reaper now thinks I haven't bought the program yet (I have). I also lost a couple of custom actions I had up in the top left corner.

I want to just re-do my shortcuts and actions, but I'm afraid I won't remember everything, and I'm hoping there might be some way to recover what I lost, even though I've already updated the program. Unfortunately, I didn't write down the error message that came down when my effect plugins wouldn't load, but I do remember a dialog appearing listing every plugin that wouldn't load (I think it was all of them, but I could be wrong).

I'm using a 2009-ish Acer Laptop with an Intel Pentium P6100, 2.00 GHz. 8 GB of RAM (2.80 usable), 32 bit operating system and 32 bit Reaper. Let me know if I can give you any more relevant information.

Thanks a lot! Any help would be appreciated. I'm most interested in getting all of my shortcuts and actions back, of course, but it would be nice to have Reaper recognize once again that I did buy the program!
SamuelBeckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:52 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

If you lost all of your configuration, what is likely is that you were running it one of the times as administrator, the other as a regular user. What OS are you using?
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
SamuelBeckett

Hm... I suppose this is possible, but I never consciously start the program as an administrator. I don't think I've ever done so. But it's possible that I did accidentally, I suppose?

I'm using Windows 7. Sorry I forgot to mention that, I very rarely post this type of thing.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
SamuelBeckett

Sorry for the bump, but I'm still having a problem with this. I haven't had to use Reaper for a little while, so it hasn't been a problem, but I'm hoping to fix the problem before I start getting really back into it. Thanks a lot. Any help would be super appreciated!