Old 08-08-2018, 07:48 AM   #1
Andrew479
Human being with feelings

Default LV2 and Windows VST support

Hi,
at present windows/osx vst are not supported in linux build of REAPER without additional tools - are there plans for implementing support for cross OS VST compatibility straight to REAPER?

Currently it seems more viable to run REAPER through WINE (due to lack of vst plugs natively for linux), because then Win VST support works as it should. LinVST seems to be troublesome when plugins try to reach out to external resources.

Also are there plans for LV2 support?

Thanks,
A.
Andrew479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #2
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew479 View Post
Hi,
at present windows/osx vst are not supported in linux build of REAPER without additional tools - are there plans for implementing support for cross OS VST compatibility straight to REAPER?

Currently it seems more viable to run REAPER through WINE (due to lack of vst plugs natively for linux), because then Win VST support works as it should. LinVST seems to be troublesome when plugins try to reach out to external resources.

Also are there plans for LV2 support?

Thanks,
A.
I'm not a dev, but an interested user. LV2 is most likely coming some day, can't tell you when.

Running OS/X plugins on Linux is impossible, as there is no infrastructure for it, maybe some day.

Regarding support for Windows VSTs I haven't gotten a clue. There are some solutions that are quite good depending on Wine support to run the plugins. But however you turn this, it's a miracle... You are running plugins meant for another OS in an application...

IMO it would be good if reaper could include this, as it's most likely very important to many users, and Wine will just keep on improving so there are good chances that more plugins will start working. On the other hand, maybe the reaper devs have overall more important things to tackle..

Let's let the future surprise us
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:47 AM   #3
Andrew479

Jack, on an unrelated note - should this subforum include issues/questions on armv7l build as well?
I managed to get the arm build working on my Android phone. With ALSA, it runs fine on 512 samples
No plugins yet though...
Old 08-09-2018, 06:52 AM   #4
Jack Winter

Yeah sure. This is for anything related to REAPER on Linux!

And congratulations, reaper on an android phone, that's kick ass!
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 08-09-2018, 06:57 AM   #5
Andrew479

Ubuntu chrooted through Linux Deploy on rooted and unlocked Redmi Note 4.
Latest IceWM and REAPER 5.93.
I had to made a script that bypasses Android audio system and opens the msm8593 soundcard directly.
It's currently being controlled through VNC, but there's a noticeable input latency.
Haven't tested USB MIDI yet, but I suspect it should work as normal.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:01 AM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Jack, on an unrelated note - should this subforum include issues/questions on armv7l build as well?
I managed to get the arm build working on my Android phone. With ALSA, it runs fine on 512 samples
No plugins yet though...
Whoa! what phone? Didn’t realize you could get Android to run linux apps...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:07 AM   #7
Andrew479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Whoa! what phone? Didn’t realize you could get Android to run linux apps...
Hi Justin!

Yes you can , but it has to be rooted. There's an app called Linux Deploy which install linux distribution of your choice to virtual disk image, which is then mounted and chrooted to your Android shell.
Then you can login and access this installation using SSH (JuiceSSH) and VNC (VNC Viewer). It behaves like a regular arm linux installation and all available packages for that architecture can be downloaded normally through apt/yum/pacman.

You can also connect to it from your PC by either connecting the phone to your wi-fi and entering the phone's IP address or creating a hotspot straight from Android. Building from source is also possible, but you may need protobuf libraries and depending on CPU speed it might take a while.

The above installation was tested on my Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 with 4GB RAM.

Last edited by Andrew479; 08-09-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:17 AM   #8
khz

Quote:
Hi,

I copied some Windows VST into my ".vst" folder. I haven't installed Wine.
When I start Reaper, under "Add FX >> VST" all of them are listed.
I can load and play them too.
&& VST 2 coming to an end https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsand...-end-4727.html
&& VST3 Linux (Beta version) https://github.com/steinbergmedia/vst3sdk#200
khz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:19 AM   #9
Andrew479

Quote:
Originally Posted by khz View Post
I copied some Windows VST into my ".vst" folder.
&& VST 2 coming to an end https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsand...-end-4727.html && VST3 Linux (Beta version) https://github.com/steinbergmedia/vst3sdk#200
What about the dependent resources (wallpapers, icons, sample archives, registry keys)? Those have to be referenced somehow.
So you didn't have LinVST or anything of that sort installed?
Old 08-09-2018, 07:25 AM   #10
Jack Winter

Quote:
I copied some Windows VST into my ".vst" folder. I haven't installed Wine.
I find this very strange. I have no idea how that would work without having wine installed and wrapping the plugins with something like LinVst or Airwave..?
Old 08-09-2018, 07:26 AM   #11
khz

I have no LinVST installed, yes. No wine either.
I copied some Windows VST to my ".vst" folder. (e.g. U-HE, Xhip, tunefish. ... )
That was all.
That's all you have to do.
Some (older) VST plugins may need Wine/LinVST.

Most of the VST I have from here:
https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/lin...effects/newest
These run without Wine/LinVST.
:-D
Old 08-09-2018, 07:33 AM   #12
Jack Winter

Quote:
Quote from that page: "Instrument and effect VST Plugins and VST3 Plugins for Linux. The results are sorted by date added (newest first). You can amend the search above."

That sounds like they are Linux VSTs and not Windows VSTs..
Old 08-09-2018, 07:37 AM   #13
khz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter
That sounds like they are Linux VSTs and not Windows VSTs..
Ablolut correct. My bad. SRY 4 OT. :-)
Old 08-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #14
Andrew479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
But however you turn this, it's a miracle... You are running plugins meant for another OS in an application...

IMO it would be good if reaper could include this, as it's most likely very important to many users, and Wine will just keep on improving so there are good chances that more plugins will start working.
Yes, it's a miracle and almost a necessity at this point.

The clock is ticking to Jan. 14th 2020, with hope and luck, progress could be made before that deadline.
(That date marks the end of Win7 support from MS). The lack of updates isn't disconcerting, but soon afterwards many devs will start dropping support for their software. So before that happens, I'd like to have the audio workstation migrated to linux with all plugins working if possible.
ReactOS might be better alternative in the end, but it's highly unlikely that it'll be anywhere beyond first beta by then.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #15
Jack Winter

One observation, with most windows plugins that don't work with wine, it is because they use newer apis, like d2d and newer msvc runtime. So as ms advances the goal post, wine is catching up and falling behind at the same time..
Old 08-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #16
brainwreck

I think that direct support for windows plugins in Reaper sounds like a bunch of ongoing work, where instead, plugin developers should be targeting a linux native format such as LV2.

Andrew479, that is kickass running a linux distro/reaper on a phone. So since alsa is being used instead of android's audio, does that mean that alsa supported usb audio devices should work with this? And I assume that the audio latency is much lower than with android audio.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #17
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
I think that direct support for windows plugins in Reaper sounds like a bunch of ongoing work, where instead, plugin developers should be targeting a linux native format such as LV2.
Or VST3
Old 08-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #18
Andrew479

Quote:
Current popularity of VST dictates that targeting its compatibility should be a priority. Even if LV2 was to become next-gen, and it rightfully should, the path towards comparable deployment is a long one. In the meantime, Windows VST support would be highly appreciated, but at the same time I understand the level of commitment required for such goal, especially since WINE already has a headstart.

Quote:
Andrew479, that is kickass running a linux distro/reaper on a phone. So since alsa is being used instead of android's audio, does that mean that alsa supported usb audio devices should work with this? And I assume that the audio latency is much lower than with android audio.
Thanks. Yes, I suppose so, but for Lollipop (5.0) and newer, you might need disabling automatic routing in Developer options:

Also such device should be UAD1 or UAD2 compatible (e.g. no proprietary drivers required).
Another, more rudimentary problem with this is supplying power. In OTG mode, it's not possible to supply power for charging the phone, as long as only one port is offered.

I haven't tested the latency using softsynth yet (mainly due to limited selection of plugins available for arm), but it's in my plans.

Last edited by Andrew479; 08-09-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:13 PM   #19
osxmidi

Lindows.

There is a point where it stops being Linux that is being used/wanted and it becomes Windows that is being used/wanted.

ReactOS might be what some want, an open source Windows, if they can get the bugs out.

Microsoft might go open source with Windows in the future, a long shot but maybe.

Linux is mostly a volunteer sort of thing so Linux won't attract many native plugin devs and it never has.

LV2 is not like AU on the Mac that has Logic behind it, so LV2 is pretty small and it might be good but it's mostly going to be supported by Linux volunteer devs.

LinVst etc are just occasional helpers with Windows vst's and not much more.

On Linux there are commercial vst's like u-he and also u-he and don't forget u-he.

There are some very useful native plugins for Linux including all of the Reaper ones.

If someone is using Linux mostly for Windows vst's then that's not really what Linux is about in the first place IMO but it can be done up to a certain point with limits.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:31 AM   #20
khz

Everything IMHO
Reactos has been programmed since 1996. Yes, it might be usable in the next 10 - x years and could become one of hopefully several alternatives for audio applications. Wine is not what I want. I want native (Linux audio) programs.
Windows/Mac as an operating system is becoming less and less important as it is moving to the cloud. The Windows/Mac operating system will soon only be offered as a rentable operating system. OSX has a smaller market share than e. g. the IPhone (~mobile).
With all operating systems (Mac/Win/Lin) the audio users make up perhaps 5% of the total users, thus rather an insignificant portion of the (paying) users.
I like LV2 1000 times better than VST3, but I think that Linux-VST3 can be a transition to LV2.
# Differences between the individual operating systems
Everything IMHO

Last edited by khz; 08-10-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #21
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
Lindows.
If someone is using Linux mostly for Windows vst's then that's not really what Linux is about in the first place IMO but it can be done up to a certain point with limits.
For me, linux is about freedom, an all-encompassing umbrella,
beneath it comes innovation, making the impossible reality,
then efficiency, maximizing ones investments of time,
personal energy, and money,
and then some security from cyber-intrusions.
These all present an enjoyable environment in which
to attempt things, whatever things one cares for.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #22
4duhwinnn

Quote:
so LV2 is pretty small and it might be good but it's mostly going to be supported by Linux volunteer devs.
I would think LV2 would be a candidate for a standarized preset browser,
with save, load, name/rename, and delete functions, and load a preset
in no more than two mouseclicks, one to open the browser,
and one to select a sound.
Having the browser window remain open until dismissed,
would be a good config option. Makes sorting the keepers
from the bleepers a lot easier.

But at that level, I think it's LV3 territory.
And in need of torch-bearers and funding, and more new plugins.
Cheers
Old 04-09-2020, 10:52 PM   #23
evanrabby

Location: Please add midi learn to sends. Nuts and bolts before games!

Quote:
Hi Justin!

Yes you can , but it has to be rooted. There's an app called Linux Deploy which install linux distribution of your choice to virtual disk image, which is then mounted and chrooted to your Android shell.
Then you can login and access this installation using SSH (JuiceSSH) and VNC (VNC Viewer). It behaves like a regular arm linux installation and all available packages for that architecture can be downloaded normally through apt/yum/pacman.

You can also connect to it from your PC by either connecting the phone to your wi-fi and entering the phone's IP address or creating a hotspot straight from Android. Building from source is also possible, but you may need protobuf libraries and depending on CPU speed it might take a while.

The above installation was tested on my Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 with 4GB RAM.

I haven’t use my android device in about five years. Are you saying that you have to log into your android device from another device? Or are you using the VNC Viewer just looping back to your own device?

I can now run android on my iPhone 7, I have been wanting to get reaper working on my smart phone since ancient Roman times. The iPhone has proper almost no latency hardware even with just a built-in microphone, and with USB interfaces
Old 04-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #24
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Linux offers freedom to lose the 'abouts', and just get on
with whatever it is you prefer, sans labeling. Recently,
it seems like you and jack-winter are under-selling linvst and wine.
Those musicians who refuse the 'upgrade just because it's there' syndrome
can have very productive creative workstations when using
linvst and wine-staging.

Thanks for your great apps, they are game-changers! Very, very, very!
(I like your u-he, u-he, u-he hints, those products are also
game-changers for linux musicians.

Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 04-10-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:28 PM   #25
PMan

Yeah, I like the "remember U-He" as well...

I want more devs to support linux, so I support the devs who do. I bought Linux native plugins from U-He, Venomode, Audio Assault, Audio Damage, Auburn Sounds, Bom Shanka, DiscoDSP, Overtone DSP, Renoise & Harrison. Some of the plugins are decent, some are great, all of them work.

There are some awesome free fx and instruments for Linux (some better than competing $$ plugins), and heck yeah I use them too. But I try to put my money where my mouth is. Especially if a dev is testing the waters by offering Linux native builds for one or two plugins, if it's not super expensive and there's a demo download that works, I'll buy it. And if the demo doesn't work, I email tech support and share the errors I get to help them fix it. If they take the time to respond and actually fix the problem, I'm in!

Many of the devs listed above didn't offer linux native plugins 9 months ago... It looks to me like more devs are testing the Linux native waters.
Good times!
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:46 PM   #26
4duhwinnn

Quote:
One observation, with most windows plugins that don't work with wine, it is because they use newer apis, like d2d and newer msvc runtime. So as ms advances the goal post, wine is catching up and falling behind at the same time..
For every windows plugin that won't yet, or ever, work in wine,
there are four others as good or better that do. The selection is so vast,
compared to the man-hours most composers or hobbyists have,
that the long list of working plugins is dwarfed by need to figure out
what to do with those one actually has time and a purpose for.

I'll suggest that microsoft isn't advancing much for their customers,
while advancing their data-snatching capabilities as fast
as humanly possible. On the surface, using customer data,
and whatever un-secured data they stumble upon, in one way or another, appears to be their business model, and quite successful, at that.
They'll improve the user tools of the OS just enough
to keep it afloat. There's no money in OS excellence, when there is far
better money in excellent data.
Cheers
Old 04-12-2020, 03:13 AM   #27
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
Recently, it seems like you and jack-winter are under-selling linvst and wine.
I don't know that I'm either selling or underselling linvst or wine...

I just haven't been very active for a while, and I don't want to tell users what to use..

I spent a lot of time and effort to help with getting Reaper for Linux going, hopefully the community can help itself nowadays.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:56 AM   #28
4duhwinnn

Weren't you also part of the first wineasio project?
In the era of the Jacklab distro on Suse? Those days were like
men walking on the moon, compared to using windows!
There's a book there somewhere, waiting to be written,
and the Bill Gates version would be ever so boring...
Old 04-17-2020, 08:46 AM   #29
Jack Winter

I rewrote wineasio and improved some things, am happy to have found someone else to maintain it nowadays. Version 1.0 should be out soon, though not much changes except for a control panel to change some of it's parameters.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:41 AM   #30
Steven Jay Cohen

If you install Carla and enable its WINE Bridge, you can load the Linux Native Carla VST into Reaper and it will let you fill a virtual rack with Windows VSTs.

If this sounds a bit complex to set up, try it through Ubuntu Studio. It has it all set up already except for adding WINE to the system and flipping the switch in Carla.

It works great. And, if you are already using a different flavor of Ubuntu, you can load the Ubuntu Studio Installer from apt into your existing install and grab the pre-configured Carla from there.

AudioTechnica AT4047/SV • Focusrite Scarlett Solo (3rd Gen) • Debian Stable/Testing
Steven Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:36 PM   #31
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Jay Cohen View Post
It works great.
Are we getting closer to fully automatic Win VST support in Reaper ?

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:34 PM   #32
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post

-Michael
Yes, but you need to run Windows.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #33
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post

-Michael
I think that would end up being worse than the current situation,
which in my cup-half-full-and-overflowing world view, is excellent.

As it is, the available manpower/braintrust are focussed
and functioning at a high level.

Reaper improves
Plugin wrapping improves
Wine improves
Windows plugins often improve
Number of native linux vsts grows, and their quality improves

The result is that only a handful of softwares won't work
on linux, and half of them bring hated copy protections
even to their mac/win customers, and most of those exist to
rescue shoddy musicianship, singers who would make the
tiles fall off the shower walls, and dudes with five strings
on their guitar, who think they are mixers or studio engineers.

To me, things seem great, no need to throw fine cuisine in a blender.

Cheers
Old 04-18-2020, 03:55 PM   #34
4duhwinnn

Quote:
I rewrote wineasio and improved some things, am happy to have found someone else to maintain it nowadays. Version 1.0 should be out soon, though not much changes except for a control panel to change some of it's parameters.
There was a wineasio update in synaptic a few days ago, things seem better already. I read that falkTX is maintainer now, and that it won't be
difficult going forward, for him to provide good support. And that
for now, most attention will got to work on jackd, good news indeed!