Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 09-11-2019, 06:43 AM   #1
saresu.bass
Human being with feelings

Default Is it cool to ask for some mix feedback here?

https://soundcloud.com/bassmothershi...on-vs2/s-tDi2k

Is this mix clear?
Can you hear everything?
Is the groove/editing alright?
Are there annoying frequencies?
Do you hear frequencies masking?
The OH were recorded with way too much hi-hats in them to my opinion. I struggled to attenuate that, but in doing so, I'm afraid I messed with the tone of the whole drums.
I hear the slapping guitar fighting with the hats somehow.
Do you hear that? or is just my impression?

Would you charge if you were the one who mixed this? Or it doesn't sound good enough for that so it's not fair to charge?

From here, I'd just add some reverb/delay for depth, sweeten it conservatively and call the day. What do you think?

Last edited by saresu.bass; 09-11-2019 at 01:08 PM.
saresu.bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
prom

The wording of your post drew my attention toward this -

There is a huge difference between
REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion and REAPER Music/Collaboration/Discussion

Anyway ...shouldn't be a problem..,worst is we get flame roasted and leave....right? not the end of the world is it?

track is not my thing so I have no comment about that, sorry
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:56 AM   #3
Not_Here

later in the evening, after work stuffs, i'm thorwin this on the monitors... i actually like this - so frantic - shredding - but light...

or its 2am and i really need to sleep...

leave some feedbaks later...
Old 09-12-2019, 06:03 AM   #4
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
later in the evening, after work stuffs, i'm thorwin this on the monitors... i actually like this - so frantic - shredding - but light...

or its 2am and i really need to sleep...

leave some feedbaks later...
Here are the final versions I "mastered" so far:

kinda natural sounding:
https://soundcloud.com/bassmothershi...atural/s-HS5OL

louder and squashed:
https://soundcloud.com/bassmothership/glap-loud/s-xugxs
Old 09-12-2019, 06:48 AM   #5
Coachz

The Natural one sounds crushed to me. What are the lufs on it ? 8 ? I aim for 12 to 14 to have some dynamics. Hi hat is too loud. I would add 12khz to it and turn it down. Drums and bass sound lifeless. Guitar is punchy and cool, but add some 4khz to open it up even more a bit. Would add more highs to vocals.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:39 AM   #6
msundh

Quote:
Originally Posted by saresu.bass View Post

kinda natural sounding:

louder and squashed:
First: Add new links in the OP.
I liked the 'Natural' best. The 'louder' felt narrow.
Mixinging is not my expertise, so I leave it with that.
Really cool song. Liked the bass!
Old 09-12-2019, 10:35 AM   #7
Jeffsounds

I like the Natural best. Very cool guitar playing! Hats are almost distracting. Maybe find the freqs and try a dynamic EQ?
Old 09-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #8
Not_Here

it's the Natural on for me over all..

the loud is ok in parts, but everything else seems all mixed together too closely or muffled. It is loud for sure... but this song needs the perception of dynamics at the very least.

I really like this song, and think it's worth some work to get everything in it's own space.. To my ears, I want to hear the HH up higher in the Freq Range, and a bit softer (like de-ess the lower HH out)
the snare need a pocket in all that guitar. Get the bottom of bass and the kick a little more separated. one has got to be below the other?
(IMHO) i would put bass below kick and get some harmonics of that bass up higher so his runs still cut through. Kick just need to be that steady beat and something up where the HH is now? (assuming moving the HH up as per Coachz)

I love the fast spank the guitars have more of that!

i'm hearing a mix like Mean Street/Van Halen as a target frequency-wise, even though this song is not 'that' at all, just reference..... but my head might be off target too. YMMV.

I think if I knew the exact technical words I would be agreeing with Coachz.

It's like everything is crowed together and fighting for space. Great energy in the song though.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:18 PM   #9
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
https://soundcloud.com/bassmothershi...on-vs2/s-tDi2k

Is it cool to ask for some mix feedback here?

What do you think?
I shall listen to your song later (I'm on the road with my cell phone).

But, just wanted to say this: Please make sure you ask people that will comment to mention how they listened to your song. Because, did they use headphones, studio monitors, Iphone speakers, car audio, earbuds, cheap mono audio speaker, etc.

All of these listening devices are acceptable. Your song needs to sound GREAT on all these devices. But, if you don't know what people commenting are listening on what device, it is like a shot in the dark. Unless, you get everyone saying " It sounds Great!". LOL

On your side of things, what are you listening your mix with?

Did you mix on studio monitors? If yes, then did you listen with headphones? Then, did you listen with the cheapest mono speaker you have laying around?

True story: I mixed a song of my own, and I was proud like as f*ooK. It sounded great on my monitors and my headphones! Then, when I visited a friend who had a huge flat screen plasma TV, but with only the built in cheap speakers, I was ashamed as we listened to my song streaming from my YouTube channel. It sounded like CRAP.

This is when I learned that I need to also make sure I mix for people listening with crappy devices. Most people will listen on their phone. Sad, but real.

This is the real challenge. Good everywhere.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #10
saresu.bass

guys, thank y'all so much for listening and replying. Much appreciated.

All this loud hihat is coming solely from the overheads. It was captured so loud and it's so predominant I can't hear anything except the hats!
I could barely salvage some snare and kicks from the OH. So this mix is 90% kick and snare samples.
Plus the 8 beat kick/snare rhythm makes impossible for me to use gate effectively.

This is what I did after reading your comments:

https://soundcloud.com/bassmothership/glap-1/s-5aXfP

Does it sound better or worse?

So Coachz:

it's 12lufs now

I lifted the 4k in the guitars, and added some highs to the vocal.

Cutting some 12k from the OH, plus some shelving and hi-pass all combined to tame the hats.

Added some more blend reverb to the bass and guitar. I thought the guitar was more upfront than the vocal.

After tweaking that high end from the drums, I'm having a impression that I'm hearing some weird phasing going on now... Is that just me?

Not_Here

I ducked the guitars around 250/300hz with the snare.
For the bass, I added some highs and distortion, rode some automation for the runs.

I use waves sibilance in the OH! Did it improve the hats timbre?

RDBOIS

I havent thought about this:
"Please make sure you ask people that will comment to mention how they listened to your song. Because, did they use headphones, studio monitors, Iphone speakers, car audio, earbuds, cheap mono audio speaker, etc."

I listen with HS50M monitors, an old Onkyo cd player, ipad and smartphones built-in speakers, 2 different headphones and 2 kinds of earplugs, and lastly inside my car.

When I mix I keep switching from the main speakers to the cd player and headphones.

Last edited by saresu.bass; 09-12-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:12 AM   #11
Not_Here

just in from work.. quick listen on the laptop, sure sounds like there is some definition of the instruments and definitely can tell the difference... snare is much louder and i can hear a little verb off it now. i did hear a difference in HH, but i want to hear it on the monitors

later in the afternoon time again I'll listen - on my kali lp6, then on the iLouds, then perhaps on the home theater bose acoustimass 10spkr w/sub - ooh I have a BT jbl portable (bout size of a beer can) I can jam it through too... ***good advice RDBOIS - previous listen was though the Kali's and iLouds.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:14 PM   #12
Not_Here

Well... Montior listening is wayyy diferent than laptop. This mix definitely is an improvement to my ears... I hear stuff i didn't hear before. I hear more of a space for the instruments to be in now. the hh and cymbals seem a bit softer now on the ears in a better way
Really liking that guitar too.
there is something about where vox, gtr and snare all come together in the chorus (? at 1:39) that sounds crowded to me... i wish i knew the more technically correct way to express that. Hopefully some others will chime in.

But I think you are for sure takin the mix in a better direction IMHO.

Think I'll give this the "in the car at the stop light playing song at 102dB to all the lovely California People" test tomorrow... {evil grin}

Last edited by Not_Here; 09-13-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:39 AM   #13
saresu.bass

Quote:
Well... Montior listening is wayyy diferent than laptop. This mix definitely is an improvement to my ears... I hear stuff i didn't hear before. I hear more of a space for the instruments to be in now. the hh and cymbals seem a bit softer now on the ears in a better way
Really liking that guitar too.
there is something about where vox, gtr and snare all come together in the chorus (? at 1:39) that sounds crowded to me... i wish i knew the more technically correct way to express that. Hopefully some others will chime in.

But I think you are for sure takin the mix in a better direction IMHO.

Think I'll give this the "in the car at the stop light playing song at 102dB to all the lovely California People" test tomorrow... {evil grin}
Cool. Thanks bro

I'm afraid I run out of creative juice and mixing skills.
The hi-hats are still loud as f..k, and the cymbals are comb filtering, specially after the slap bass solo.

Anyway, I'll set for this below:

https://soundcloud.com/bassmothershi...-final/s-k4xNQ

I hope it's not a worse version compared to the previous one.
What do you think?

Last edited by saresu.bass; 09-14-2019 at 04:29 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:37 AM   #14
Coachz

Quote:
Cool. Thanks bro

I'm afraid I run out of creative juice and mixing skills.
The hi-hats are still loud as f..k, and the cymbals are comb filtering, specially after the slap bass solo.

Anyway, I'll set for this below:

I hope it's not a worse version compared to the previous one.
What do you think?
That's MONO !!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #15
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
That's MONO !!!!!!!
Whats mono Coachz?
Old 09-14-2019, 08:19 AM   #16
synkrotron

I don't think it is mono, as such.

Listening on my cans and it does have some stereo width, but it is quite narrow, I think.

If anything is more "narrow" than I would expect is it the overheads. The toms seem to go pretty wide, but the overheads are in the middle, if you know what I mean.

I don't listen to this kind of stuff normally but I have to say that it was a blast! Excellent slap guitar stuff

I can't comment on the mix cos I'm crap at that anyway.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:34 AM   #17
Coachz

Quote:
Whats mono Coachz?
The entire mix plays in mono here. Can you post a wav or 192 mp3?
Old 09-14-2019, 09:01 AM   #18
karbomusic

Not mono, just not wide FYI.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #19
Coachz

Hit them pan controls!
Old 09-14-2019, 10:10 AM   #20
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
I don't think it is mono, as such.

Listening on my cans and it does have some stereo width, but it is quite narrow, I think.

If anything is more "narrow" than I would expect is it the overheads. The toms seem to go pretty wide, but the overheads are in the middle, if you know what I mean.

I don't listen to this kind of stuff normally but I have to say that it was a blast! Excellent slap guitar stuff

I can't comment on the mix cos I'm crap at that anyway.
Glad you had a blast
Yep, it’s stereo but narrow indeed cuz the mix we’re referencing with is in mono.
Theres only one guitar, so I thicken the guitar and spread it with the backvocals during the chorus. Which are the widest parts.
Also I couldn’t spread the OH more, so that the hi-hats don’t get more attention on the side. But I wanted to widen it more
Old 09-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #21
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Hit them pan controls!
Yeah, It won’t hurt to make a “wide version” mix with these tracks.
It’s just that these loud hats coming from the OH are driving me nuts. So I’m hesitating to spread the OH.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:54 PM   #22
Not_Here

How bout one of the Waves (or brand of your choice) multiband compressors/dynamic eq on just the HH to take a couple dB's off just them?
Old 09-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #23
foxAsteria

Groove is tight as hell. The mix is relatively well balanced, but overall kinda dark and kinda congested in the lower mids. I don't think it needs any fx. Just maybe some final mastering eq or brightening up of certain elements to fill out the top range. Sounds like a great band.

Whenever I have too much cymbal or hats on a track (usually the snare), I just use a dynamic EQ on the high frequencies with a high ratio and tune the attack to let them through a bit with just the crack of the snare, but then cut em almost entirely.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #24
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Groove is tight as hell. The mix is relatively well balanced, but overall kinda dark and kinda congested in the lower mids. I don't think it needs any fx. Just maybe some final mastering eq or brightening up of certain elements to fill out the top range. Sounds like a great band.

Whenever I have too much cymbal or hats on a track (usually the snare), I just use a dynamic EQ on the high frequencies with a high ratio and tune the attack to let them through a bit with just the crack of the snare, but then cut em almost entirely.
What did you listen this mix with?
Old 09-14-2019, 05:18 PM   #25
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
First: Add new links in the OP.
Thanks for listening bro.

What’s “OP”?
Old 09-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #26
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
I like the Natural best. Very cool guitar playing! Hats are almost distracting. Maybe find the freqs and try a dynamic EQ?
Hey bro. What did you listen this mix with? What was your listening environment?
Old 09-14-2019, 05:43 PM   #27
foxAsteria

Quote:
What did you listen this mix with?
Studio monitors. But I'm in a pretty small room, so those lower-mid frequencies tend to get exaggerated anyway. I'm used to it though because I listen to everything through these speakers every day.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:55 PM   #28
1:00AM Project

Default The "Natural" sounding one

Quote:

kinda natural sounding:

louder and squashed:

I'm using Tannoy Reveal 502s in a smaller space. This one sounds the best to my ears(The Natural Sounding" one). The other ones were too muddy at some points or too harsh. I enjoyed listening to this one the most. I'm newer to Reaper and not confident enough on it to try to master my stuff on it yet(I use Ozone) so I'm giving an opinion purely as a consumer of music - not as an experienced Reaper user

Last edited by 1:00AM Project; 09-14-2019 at 08:04 PM.
1:00AM Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:19 AM   #29
saresu.bass

Quote:
How bout one of the Waves (or brand of your choice) multiband compressors/dynamic eq on just the HH to take a couple dB's off just them?
I got the neutron and ozone stuff. Definitely gonna work on it.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:21 AM   #30
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1:00AM Project View Post
I'm using Tannoy Reveal 502s in a smaller space. This one sounds the best to my ears(The Natural Sounding" one). The other ones were too muddy at some points or too harsh. I enjoyed listening to this one the most. I'm newer to Reaper and not confident enough on it to try to master my stuff on it yet(I use Ozone) so I'm giving an opinion purely as a consumer of music - not as an experienced Reaper user
How about this mix?

How does it sound in your environment?
Old 09-16-2019, 07:30 AM   #31
saresu.bass

Quote:
Studio monitors. But I'm in a pretty small room, so those lower-mid frequencies tend to get exaggerated anyway. I'm used to it though because I listen to everything through these speakers every day.
Same, I hear the same thing as you, I "know" about dynamic EQ but really I need more mileage to handle that, the low range. I hear how everything is wrong in this mix but I dont know how to make it better. so I've just subscribed today to Puremix. I feel like an asshole having to deliver this mix to them. So this should be the last time.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #32
foxAsteria

Quote:
I hear how everything is wrong in this mix but I dont know how to make it better.
Well no need to be so hard on yourself. It's not bad at all.

Maybe demo the Master Match plugin from IK while they've still got this crazy sale going. I found it pretty helpful as a final EQ to balance out minor problems at the end and get it to compare more favorably with pro mixes.

I suggest that one because I tend to have the same kinds of frequency problems as you, mixing in this room (low-mid buildup and lack of highs). I think it works pretty much the same as their ARC system, which is also helpful to get around some acoustical problems.

A free one I find helpful is ISOL8. You can hear different bands on their own, which tends to highlight problems and making them sound good there, in each band always helps my final mix. I noticed with pro mixes, each frequency band always sounds good on it's own, so that's what I aim for.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:56 PM   #33
saresu.bass

Quote:
Well no need to be so hard on yourself. It's not bad at all.

Maybe demo the Master Match plugin from IK while they've still got this crazy sale going. I found it pretty helpful as a final EQ to balance out minor problems at the end and get it to compare more favorably with pro mixes.

I suggest that one because I tend to have the same kinds of frequency problems as you, mixing in this room (low-mid buildup and lack of highs). I think it works pretty much the same as their ARC system, which is also helpful to get around some acoustical problems.

A free one I find helpful is ISOL8. You can hear different bands on their own, which tends to highlight problems and making them sound good there, in each band always helps my final mix. I noticed with pro mixes, each frequency band always sounds good on it's own, so that's what I aim for.
Thats very nice dude. Thanks!

Where did you find this sale going? I see at IK site for €99.99
Old 09-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #34
foxAsteria

This one: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=8092
It's not on sale, per se, but 9 or ten freebies along with it.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:31 AM   #35
Jorgen

Interesting and entertaining music, very well crafted and performed. I know you want comments on the mix, but the music translates perfectly even on laptop speakers. When the music just works, the "mix" doesn't matter much imho. Not to say I don't worry about it myself all the time.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:13 AM   #36
saresu.bass

Quote:
This one: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=8092
It's not on sale, per se, but 9 or ten freebies along with it.
I see. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:14 AM   #37
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Interesting and entertaining music, very well crafted and performed. I know you want comments on the mix, but the music translates perfectly even on laptop speakers. When the music just works, the "mix" doesn't matter much imho. Not to say I don't worry about it myself all the time.
Thanks for listening