Old 10-02-2019, 11:10 AM   #161
shady
Human being with feelings

Well, looks like I might receive some shame this month, however, rather than let the deadline deter me from making music, it motivates me to continue working on stuff!
Old 10-03-2019, 11:00 AM   #162
Burnsjethro

Thanks for all these inspiring words. The problems with loops, is I ˘ften seem to get the timing wrong, even after glueing so it invariably turns out a bit uneven, hence I usually end up discarding the loop and recording the track in the old fashion way, and then doing several takes!
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:03 PM   #163
technogremlin

Already did some vocal edits and I like how that turned out. Finally got the guitar solo sounding somewhere close where I want it and did some ok tweaks to the bass tracks.

I have a full day in the studio ahead of me today. Going to replace some ReaEQ stuff with ReEQ (a wonderful jsfx plugin made by a forum member) and see where that goes. Also hope to finish the vocal editing today.

Looks like I'm going to finish in time
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #164
zeekat

Inventing the title is extra hard if your work has no message.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:09 PM   #165
zeekat

Ok, lets say it's done. Made with my mutant surfcaster and using a couple of samples off freesound.org (recording of some guy tuning his tanpura and a neat tabla loop):

https://soundcloud.com/zeekat/switching-noises

Youtube video on the way, coz the guitar looks kinda cool and it's not on youtube yet for some reason. Just need to make it presentable, crop my fat head out and so on.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #166
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Inventing the title is extra hard if your work has no message.
I find that to be the easiest thing in the world, personally. I just write the first random thing that pops into my head. I once titled a song Shrimp Foetus El Scampi...

On the other hand, this track is goshdarn impressive. Nice work. I particularly like the way the drums and bass groove.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:45 PM   #167
zeekat

I have a text file on my phone where I collect all the words and phrases I thought of to use for titles. The problem is they usually turn out to be rather common pun (used for 6 thousand songs on discogs already) or something very pretentious sounding. I'm not good enough to get away with being pretentious.

I took "Rearward Effort" from one of those spam emails with gibberish section used to fool antispam filters. It's my favourite. Though I don't see those gibber emails anymore
Old 10-07-2019, 05:30 AM   #168
technogremlin

OK, so that day in the studio didn't quite work out the way I hoped; I was editing out some noises in the vocals (breaths and stuff like that) and didn't notice right away that the cuts where replicated in all the midi-tracks as well (actually in ALL the tracks, period). That was one hell of a mess to deal with afterward. Found the setting that says to cut ALL tracks if nothing is selected... why the hell would anyone want that ?!

Never mind, sorted it all out in a few extra hours work and I'm still on track to get it done in time for the deadline here
Old 10-07-2019, 08:58 AM   #169
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
OK, so that day in the studio didn't quite work out the way I hoped...I'm still on track to get it done in time for the deadline here
Never do in the studio what you can do in a cafe.... Sorry, speaking of pretentious, no one asked for my advice eh? Heheh, I've recorded a track once that I didn't like any of my vox on and edited out everything but the breaths, which created a kind of interesting rhythmic effect.

I guess I'm a bit spoiled, since I only have to wait for my roommates to go to work for my house to become a studio. But the con of that is my house is also full of other distractions, so it's still very easy to procrastinate.

I've been working a few different things this month, but still haven't picked on e to "finish." So you're doing a lot better than me at this point. I think I have a strong contender, but yea, I have commitment issues.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:00 PM   #170
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I guess I'm a bit spoiled, since I only have to wait for my roommates to go to work for my house to become a studio. But the con of that is my house is also full of other distractions, so it's still very easy to procrastinate.
My studio is in my company building because I had a nice space available there. Basically the same problem as yours; a lot of other things around that can grab my attention. I try to set specific days as 'studio only' days..... it sometimes works
Old 10-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #171
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Ok, lets say it's done. Made with my mutant surfcaster and using a couple of samples off freesound.org (recording of some guy tuning his tanpura and a neat tabla loop):

https://soundcloud.com/zeekat/switching-noises

Youtube video on the way, coz the guitar looks kinda cool and it's not on youtube yet for some reason. Just need to make it presentable, crop my fat head out and so on.
Allrighty, some additional headless youtube content,as planned

Old 10-10-2019, 08:40 PM   #172
foxAsteria

Jeez. It would take me a month just to memorize all those parts. I guess you must have some theoretical knowledge because some of those chords shapes look completely new to me... What the heck is that thing you do at 3:00? Looks like you hit the whammy a little, but it changes the tone of the chord afterward. Really cool.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:24 AM   #173
zeekat

Nah, I'm a moron musically, just trying the most uncomfortable finger shapes and seeing which sounds passable. Just strung together a few sections of stuff than came out from noodling and that's it(took a few days).

And that's just ol wangbar sproing, I really like the effect. Sounds extra interesting if you accidentally sproing some noise like harmonic.