Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-16-2008, 05:55 AM   #81
michi_mak
Human being with feelings

Hi, Cybolic!
Doesn't work for me! your installer starts,but does not show up any reaper version ...
and yes i have a working internet connection...
( mandriva 2009 gnome )
michi_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:18 AM   #82
eric71

Just a slightly off-topic and verbose note. I didn't use Cybolic's installer for it (there's no python installed with the base install) but I am have been having an interesting time playing with Reaper on NimleX linux installed on a USB stick. It is very similar to Slax (if anyone has used that) in that it is built in a modular way and based on Slackware. You do run into a few dependency problems, but the package (or modules, not quite sure what to call them) are easy enough to install. I had to run Qsynth from command line a few times to figure out that the package also wanted Lash and fluidsynth. But I'm going astray.

Basically i've got a lightning fast live KDE based linux running from a USB stick. I can plug it into any computer that can boot from usb and have my Reaper and vsts and projects. It detects all the hardware like a live cd every time. The kernel isn't realtime, but even without realtime selected in Qjackctl I'm getting decent latency (nowhere near professional DAW level, but as good as can be expected from my crappy laptops). Incidently Jack will start in realtime mode (because NimbleX runs in root, just like Puppy and Slax) but I run into all sorts of xruns and sound issues (of course).

Anyway, it is very easy to set up: Download the iso, burn it, and boot up from the NimbleX cd. Plug in a usb stick, click the install icon and select your usb stick for installation. I took the minimum for the NimbleX portion and used up the rest of the space for saving changes. After rebooting from the USB stick, I went to the NimbleX 2008 Repo portion of nimblex.net (under the extend nimblex tab)and downloaded wine, QT4 (needed for QJackctl), jack-audio-connection-kit, and double-clicked on each to install. I took a wineasio.dll.so file from my Ubuntu install and pasted it into the /usr/lib/wine directory and ran "regsvr32 wineasio.dll" in a terminal. Then I just downloaded and installed reaper and set it up as usual.

There are python packages available, so I'm quite sure with the right dependencies met, Cybolic's script would simplify this further. With the modular format, it would be very easy to repackage all of this into a Reaper distro. They even have a custom iso generator at their website, but it is based on NimbleX 2007. I could envision an iso containing the base Nimble X (with some things removed) plus Jack, QT4, QJackctl, Wine, Python (and anything else Cybolic's script requires), with Cybolic's script sitting on the desktop, ready to install Reaper. If things could be further tweaked (i.e. realtime kernel), it could be truly awesome. I've only got 4 gigs of space on it, but for putting down demos I usually record in .ogg format anyway. A fun toy, anyway for a 10 euro usb stick..

p.s. just read back a few posts and realized someone has done basically the same thing with Puppy. I should read more before I make long posts

Last edited by eric71; 11-17-2008 at 10:19 AM.
eric71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:46 AM   #83
mrufino1

Default THANK YOU!!!!

I have been trying to get linux to work for me for music for the past few weeks, trying to dump the last reason I have windows, but after trying ardour and ext2, I realized there is too much good stuff I miss in reaper. I was resigned to sticking with xp for reaper only (I could not get wineasio installed with the guide in this forum, though I have done it in the past)- if this interfaces correctly with my firepod, I am dumping win forever. If I could get my phonic helix board working with linux, I'd be in even better shape...Have any linux wizards out there gotten it to work? Don't mean to hijack, PM me if you have any info on that and I will post elsewhere about that issue. Thanks so much for this linux installer!!!!!!!

Last edited by mrufino1; 11-17-2008 at 11:40 AM.
mrufino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #84
Cybolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by michi_mak View Post
Hi, Cybolic!
Doesn't work for me! your installer starts,but does not show up any reaper version ...
and yes i have a working internet connection...
( mandriva 2009 gnome )
Hmmm.. odd. Could you paste the output from LinReaper when running it in a terminal?
Cybolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #85
rattlehead

Is it possible to download this and burn to disk to install on another PC?

The Studio PC isn't on the net that's all.

Thanks for doing this too!
rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #86
michi_mak

Hm, as you told us ...
downloaded and made it executable, doublecklick it , select execute it - ith starts but than there is no option wich version of reaper to install ...
( python and python gtk and 7zip installed ... )

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing LinReaper 0.64 - Reaper Installer for Linux........................................
./main.py:40: GtkWarning: gtk_tree_view_set_cursor_on_cell: assertion `tree_view->priv->tree != NULL' failed
listview.set_cursor((0,0))
Downloading Reaper
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./main.py", line 87, in next
do_install()
File "./main.py", line 95, in do_install
main.reaperfile = "/tmp/"+os.path.basename(main.selected_version['url'])
AttributeError: Main instance has no attribute 'selected_version'
Old 11-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #87
Cybolic

michi_mak, you wouldn't happen to be behind a proxy would you? In any case the following might help you.

rattlehead, it is now. Because of your request and michi_mak's problem I've added the option to install from a local Reaper installation exe.

Get the latest and freshest LinReaper here:
https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/297200/LinReaper0.65.run

Changelog:
  • New: Unbuffered display update is now in the default REAPER.ini configuration (meaning faster graphical updates)
  • New: Windows Desktop (in Reaper) is now linked to the Linux Desktop
  • New: Added option to install from a local Reaper install exe, instead of download
Old 11-18-2008, 01:30 AM   #88
michi_mak

Sorry, Cybolic, but now it just starts and i can't even check forward - no output in terminal ...
Old 11-18-2008, 07:37 AM   #89
Cybolic

michi_mak, no sorry, that was my fault - I forgot to test it without an internet connection.

Please try the new version:
https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/297820/LinReaper0.652.run

rattlehead, you should use this version as well, as 0.65 won't let you install without an internet connection.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #90
michi_mak

yep, it worked - thanx!!

stuff like yours is a very good chance to get linux and music a little bit more widespread!
Old 11-19-2008, 03:27 AM   #91
vocalfons

Default crackles, vst plugins directory

Dear Cybolic:

the crackles went away. How? I stopped using Firefox. I now use Opera. Maybe the memoroy management of Firefox was to blame?

regarding my VSt plugins the following: I do not know what a simlink is. Could you please explain?

I also discovered that reaper doesn't remember settings. For instance, I always open with "brad sucks" in spite of having checked "open last project". Also a screen is always opened with project settings, which can be unchecked, but that doesn't help. maybe this is the same problem as not being able to open op VST's?

Thanks for your time and effort,

Vocalfons
vocalfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #92
mrufino1

First of all, again a huge thanks, I now have a working reaper, jack, and phonic firewire 24 mkII in ubuntu 8.10. I am interested in the firefox issue noted above because I am not so happy with firefox on 8.10, and firefox 3 in general has been a little rough. I may have to try opera and see what happens. I am getting more xruns using reaper with the mixer than I am using ardour, depending on how low I set the latency, is that because the extra layer of wine needed is sucking up some processing power? The laptop I am trying it on is a centrino 1.5ghz with 512 ram, so I am aware it is not cutting edge. I am going to try putting ubuntustudio on my rack pc and see if it is better in that regard.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:31 AM   #93
Cybolic

New version is up, fladd this should be of interest to you

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/299447/LinReaper0.66.run

Changelog:
  • New: LinReaper now uses the Wine registry to locate Windows paths.
    This ensures that LinReaper will work on different locales/languages.
  • Fixed: The latest version of Reaper was no longer selected in the list.

michi_mak, thank you for believing in it

vocalfons, symlink is short for Symbolic Link, something like Windows Shortcuts, only on a filesystem level. To create one, you can either do it in the filemanager (drag'n'drop holding down Ctrl+Shift in Gnome) or by typing the command I gave earlier in a Terminal. More about symbolic links here.
It sounds like something is wrong with your LinReaper installation, you might benefit from deleting $HOME/.local/reaper (if that's where you installed Reaper) and try installing again.

mrufino1, it's very likely that the WineAsio layer or indeed Wine itself is what is causing your xruns. Unfortunately I don't have a fix for you, except the obvious "try turning off Compiz/Desktop Effects".
Old 11-20-2008, 08:26 AM   #94
vocalfons

Default auch

dear cybolic,

I followed your advice and moved the reaper directory in .local to my desktop. I ran the linreaper and it hangs while installing. Now what can be wrong here?

the installer complains about the html engine not being able to be used.

I use reaper on a daily base, so I hope I can fix this.

here's the terminal output:

Downloading Reaper
Running command: /tmp/selfgz2531/scripts/get_reaper.sh
Create Wine setup and run the installer
Running command: /tmp/selfgz2531/scripts/run_install.sh
Install directory already exists.
Creating Wine directory
Note: wineprefixcreate is deprecated and shouldn't be needed anymore.
WINEPREFIX creation and updates now happen automatically when needed.

fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on USB Device 0x46d:0x8ad, disabling mixer
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on MPU-401 UART, disabling mixer
Could not load Mozilla. HTML rendering will be disabled.
wine: configuration in '/home/alfons/.local/reaper/.wine' has been updated.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #95
Cybolic

vocalfons, are you sure you removed the .local/reaper directory? From what I can tell from the output, the installer finds a directory already there.
As for the HTML-problem, is it LinReaper that complains, the actual Reaper installer or something else - also, is it a popup, or something in the terminal? It is a bit odd, since neither LinReaper nor the Reaper installer uses an HTML engine, hmm.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #96
vocalfons

Default wine and reaper

You were right, I gave you the output of my second attempt. Now it made a new install in /home/alfons/.local/reaper/.wine

well, the end of the stroy is, I localized reaper in
/home/alfons/.local/reaper/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/REAPER/reaper.exe

when i click that, I get a good working reaper instance, which remembers it's settings. Now maybe a studpid question, but when I make an icon with a shortcut to that file, what should the "starter" info be?

If I can get that working, I believe I can work again.

Thanks again for your selfless attitude, you seem to be turning into a Linreaper helpdesk by now. I hope this doesn't take too much of your time. I would be glad to be of any help in return. I am a vocal trainer. Maybe I can give you tips concerning singing? check out http://www.vocalfons.com

thanks!
Old 11-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #97
vocalfons

Default fixed!

i already figured it out. I now have a working reaper shortcut AND a working reaper install.

Thanks for your patience.

edit: reaper found all my plugins!!!

Last edited by vocalfons; 11-20-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #98
Cybolic

vocalfons, I'm glad to hear you got it working!

Doesn't the reaper.sh launcher work for you? Is it only when launching Reaper through that that your settings disappear? If so, It means I've made an error somewhere so I'd love to know
Old 11-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #99
mrufino1

Quote:

mrufino1, it's very likely that the WineAsio layer or indeed Wine itself is what is causing your xruns. Unfortunately I don't have a fix for you, except the obvious "try turning off Compiz/Desktop Effects".
I think I have those off- are you referring to preferences-appearance-visual effects-none? Or is there something else that turns off compiz? I don't need fancy graphics, just a running system! Keep in mind also that I am referring to using a phonic firewire mixer, running under the ffado beta, which is touchy on linux anyway, although it is running smoother with jack and ardour. Too bad ardour takes 100 times the effort than reaper to do the same thing...

Last edited by mrufino1; 11-20-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #100
Cybolic

mrufino1, that should have disabled Compiz, so I haven't got any other suggestions for you. I haven't got any firewire devices, so I'm not sure what would help in your situation.

For those interested, I've written down a short description of what LinReaper actually does at http://cybolic.wordpress.com/software-linreaper/.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #101
rickstone

Hi...I'm running Ubuntu Intrepid and trying to run the installer, but whenever I double-click it asks what program to run it with. What am I missing? I have loaded 7zip and Wine already.

Thanks...I can't wait to see how Reaper performs on Ubuntu.
rickstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #102
Cybolic

rickstone, try setting the file to executable first.
Right click on it, select "Properties", select the "Permissions" tab and check "Allow executing as program".
Old 12-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #103
rickstone

I should have thought of that! Thanks.

Now, I started the installer (which looks very slick, by the way), but it seems to be hung at the "Creating WINE setup and running the installer" section. Any ideas?

Thanks again for such a quick response.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #104
Cybolic

You're welcome, I happened to be at the computer

Could you try running LinReaper in a terminal and post the output?
Old 12-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #105
rickstone

Here's the output, up until the point that it hangs:

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing LinReaper 0.66 - Reaper Installer for Linux.........................................
Downloading Reaper
Running command: /tmp/selfgz31355/scripts/get_reaper.sh
Create Wine setup and run the installer
Running command: /tmp/selfgz31355/scripts/run_install.sh
Install directory already exists.
Creating Wine directory
Note: wineprefixcreate is deprecated and shouldn't be needed anymore.
WINEPREFIX creation and updates now happen automatically when needed.

fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x7dae49f8, overlapped 0x7dae49dc): stub
fixme:shellllCanUnloadNow stub
wine: configuration in '/home/rick/.local/reaper/.wine' has been updated.
Waiting for registry files to be created...
Old 12-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #106
Cybolic

Thanks a lot for reporting this, the error was entirely mine as I had accidentally hard-coded a path to my own home-dir in LinReaper.
It should work now

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/312804/LinReaper0.67.run
Old 12-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #107
rickstone

The installer ran, but with errors. The output is attached.

There's a Reaper entry in the Sound & Video menu, but nothing happens when I select it.

Thanks again for your help. Oh, and this is a fairly clean install of Intrepid, by the way.
Attached Files
File Type: txt reaper_install.txt (21.1 KB, 718 views)
Old 12-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #108
Cybolic

Ah, I see. It seems a clean install doesn't have $HOME/.local/share - LinReaper will now create it for you automatically.
No need to thank me, you're helping me improve LinReaper

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/312900/LinReaper0.68.run
Old 12-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #109
rickstone

Well, this time it looks like the installation script ran without any complaints, but I still can't start the program. I've tried running it from the menu and from the terminal with no luck.

I've attached both the output from the latest 0.68 script and also the output from when I try to run it from the command line. Maybe you can see something here?

Rick
Attached Files
File Type: txt linreaper 0.68 install.txt (20.9 KB, 1737 views)
File Type: txt reaper terminal output.txt (2.5 KB, 535 views)
Old 12-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #110
Cybolic

I'm sorry, I must have fallen asleep while adding the latest changes in 0.66 since I accidentally left on the debugging code that, among other things, doesn't actually launch Reaper.
If I haven't wasted too much of your time already, here's the new version, that actually launches Reaper.

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/313549/LinReaper0.69.run
Old 12-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #111
rickstone

And there you go! It works...though those ugly Windows menus kinda creep me out, at least it opens and loads the demo song without complaint. Now I need to figure out how to get sound out of it and all will be good.

Thanks again for your work on this project. Anything that will help Linux to gain acceptance period, much less in the audio world, is great.

Rick
Old 12-06-2008, 11:39 AM   #112
Cybolic

Glad to hear I finally released a version that works for you
Remember that Reaper needs Jack, so launching Jack Control first is a good idea.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:00 PM   #113
michi_mak

Hm, i'm not sure about that Cybolic! As far as i understand wineasio it does not depend on jack - and i can run reaper without jack started very well!!
Old 12-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #114
Cybolic

michi_mak, WineAsio will try to launch Jack if it's not running, so that's probably why you got it working. You will however get more options to configure the Jack server if you run it yourself beforehand.

By the way, on systems that have PulseAudio enabled (Ubuntu for one), changing the "Server Path" in Jack Control to "/usr/bin/pasuspender jackd --" will make PulseAudio disable while Jack is running, and come back online automatically when Jack finishes.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #115
d8veh

Thanks for your efforts: I'm nearly there - just need a bit of help.
Reaper is installed and working, but the test file sounds distorted and crackly. Before downloading, I updated everything including WINE.

It was using Waveout as the default audio so I changed it to ASIO and it showed Wine ASIO Driver, but the inputs and outputs are blank. When I click the "ASIO Configuration" button nothing happens.

Next,I have two usb audio devices: Guitar Rig Rig Kontrol 2 and an EMU 0202, I haven't plugged them in yet. Will I be able to use them, or do I need specific Linux drivers?

Lastly, just for information. When I clicked the download link, nothing happened at first. I had to click it a few times before it downloaded. It didn't auto-install. When I clicked on the downloaded file, it only asked what I wanted to open it with until I opened up its properties and enabled "Run as an executable file"
Thanks again for everything. I really appreciate your help.
Dave
d8veh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #116
d8veh

Sorry, for wasting your time. I didn't realise that you had to download and install Jack Control separately. I thought it was included in the install package. I've now got it working properly now. Thanks for everything.
d8veh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #117
vocalfons

Default jack version 0.109.2 no good?

dear cybloic:

on a forum from belgium I read:

"Qualitatively speaking, this (0.116) is the best and most stable version of JACK ever released. It fixes many problems with the 0.109.2 release (which in truth should probably never have been allowed out of the door), as well as improving many areas of JACK. The list of changes below summarizes the changes over the last 10 months."

now is this true? and if so, can I upgrade without problems to jackd 0.116? How to proceed? How to install it from tarball? or any other method? Will I loose all settings of other programs?

Just another question: do you by chance have any idea why certain VST instruments work flawless (hypercancas, to name one) and others do not seem to have a midi input (when I load B4 for example, I can play on the virtual organ manual, but my midi notes form my real keyboard are not forwarded to the instrument). Thsi happens with quite a lot instruments. If you would have any idea why it's so inconsistent, I would be thrilled.

last question: is there any need to change the system rights or memory management or prioroities to make rt run better?

Or maybe you know another spot where I can look for a solution?
Old 12-17-2008, 02:48 AM   #118
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocalfons View Post
last question: is there any need to change the system rights or memory management or prioroities to make rt run better?
I do the following for xrun free operation of jack 0.109.2 (under kubuntu 8.04) at 64/128 buffers (lowest that my rme multiface goes) and 99% cpu load. In fact, I can add even more fx and it just eats cpu from the rest of the gui until kde crawls to more or less a stop

sudo chrt -f -p 97 `pidof "IRQ-17"`
sudo chrt -f -p 98 `pidof "IRQ-8"`
sudo chrt -f -p 80 `pidof "reaper.exe"

Where IRQ-17 is the irq of my sound card, found with lspci -v

In qjackctl the relevant settings are:
rt priority = 85 and softmode = on.

In reaper the parameters that seem most important are:
preferences-audio-device-asio thread = timecritical
preferences-audio-buffering-use native events for synchronizing = off

I'm also playing with the:
preferences-audio-buffering-anticipative fx processing where render ahead at the moment is at 500ms and allow on tracks without fx is enabled.

Good luck !
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #119
Cybolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
In reaper the parameters that seem most important are:
preferences-audio-device-asio thread = timecritical
preferences-audio-buffering-use native events for synchronizing = off
Good suggestions Jack, I just thought I'd mention that "Use native events for synchronizing" is already turned off in a standard LinReaper installation.

vocalfons, I'm running the standard Ubuntu package of Jack without any problems, so I don't know about the new version, as for the MIDI problem mine works out of the box, so I don't know, but you might want to check the connections in patchage or a similar program.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:03 AM   #120
vocalfons

Default irq trouble

I think I found out why firefox intervenes with reaper: both my ethernet controller and rme soundcard are on the same irq, 20.

I know the RME should have it's own irq. Can I change that? How?

About the midi problem: there are some instruments that do work, and some dont. So i guess the problem is inside of reaper.

Has anyone used b4 (organ) in reaper in Linux? And does that work?