Old 04-25-2007, 04:12 AM   #1
enjayce
Human being with feelings

Default Problem

Hey this is kind of messed I been trying for a couple hours to record..i can load the beat onto track one...then i go to record on the second track..but it plays the beat and the vocals all at once.. ..i tried everything..so u know i have a mixing board thats usb and acts as my soundcard and a akg mic...
enjayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:31 AM   #2
rforssell

Hi! What kind of mixer do you have? Can you explain your problem a little bit better please.
rforssell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:51 AM   #3
enjayce

hey ya for sure..my mixer is a yamaha mw10.. and i go to record i load the instrumental into track 1...then i open another track and i record a verse...then i mute track one to hear how the recording went...but i notice i hear the instrumental still playing in the part i recorded ...and when i play both track together...it sounds alot louder like its playing the beat twice
Old 04-25-2007, 05:26 AM   #4
Art Evans
Mortal

This is almost certainly due to incorrect settings of your soundcard's mixer. Ensure that you are not recording "wave out" or "what u hear" - just select the actual source you want to record (eg mic).
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:18 PM   #5
enjayce

http://www.edmontonhiphop.com/12.JPG

thats what its set to
Old 04-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
bigwoody

Are you monitoring thru your board?? It sounds to me like you might be recording both the playback and the new instrument/voice on track 2.
bigwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
enjayce

yeah everythings through my mixing board...acts as my sound card. and yeah thats the problem ...i load the instrumental into track one... it plays fine, but then track 2 records both the recording i just did and the instrumental all at once..so when i play it back its like 2 instrumentals and one voice recording.. i just need to find a way to make it so, it records the voice recordings solo..but so i can still play the beat so i know what im recording to..and i tried it all... does it have to do with how the device is set up? ... i will post another pic of what the play back is set up to also

http://www.edmontonhiphop.com/13.JPG

also note im really new at this.... so sorry for the frusteration and thanks for the help
Old 04-25-2007, 02:54 PM   #8
bigwoody

The problem lies with how your mixer is set up. I don't know the mw10 or your firewire setup, but let me try to help anyway. What is happening is that your mixer is getting the playback from Reaper of the 1st track, and combining that with your guitar and you are recording the main outputs of the two signals combined on Track 2.

Lets start with your soundcard settings. Under your Output Range, what choices are presented? I can't tell from your first picture but it looks like you only have a main output L/R choosen. Look at the "Setting Up for Audio" part of the manual to see how to make the choices on your soundcard.

Now in a perfect world, hopefully you can receive individual output signals from each input in your mixer. If you only have a main out R/L choice we will have to examine other choices for monitoring the playback. If you can receive individual signals, then you just want to make sure on Track 2 that the only signal you receive is the one from what ever your guitar is plugged into.

If you CAN choose specific inputs and have set them up, then when you add a new track to record, before you start recording, right click on the "Arm for Record" button and you will have the same choices to record that you set up on your soundcard that is why you set up the "range" in the first place. (See manual under "Basic Recording Techniques/To Prepare and Record one Track".

Try this and if you only have the option for recording the main outputs (R/L)of your mixer, we will need to see if there is a way on your mixer not to send the input signal from Reaper to the main output bus, or get you set up to monitor thru your soundcard instead of your Mixer. Lets try the above first and then go from there.

New idea......
I am looking at a picture of your mixer. See if the button To ST/To CR stops the input from Reaper from getting to the Stereo mix. My gut tells me this should be down, so the return input only gets sent to the "Control Room", not the output.

Last edited by bigwoody; 04-25-2007 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Another thought
Old 04-25-2007, 04:43 PM   #9
enjayce

hey thanks for the help it worked thanks for being patient
Old 04-25-2007, 06:09 PM   #10
bigwoody

hey great, my pleasure. So what was it that worked? After all my blathering on, it was the button on your mixer wasn't it...