Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 03-12-2021, 11:20 AM   #1
ayskura
Human being with feelings

Default let's talk about the midi note hanging...

all the time using a midi instrument when stopping there are notes which remaing hanging indefinitively... it's extremely annoying and makes Reaper really bad for composing midi...how is it possible this remains unnoticed still?
ayskura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:40 AM   #2
Fabian

I had the problem of hanging notes a long time ago. It affected certain plugins that I have since stopped using. So I would think that this is plugin-dependent rather than than Reaper-dependent, and I guess that's why this "remains unnoticed still".
Old 03-12-2021, 02:50 PM   #3
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayskura View Post
all the time using a midi instrument when stopping there are notes which remaing hanging indefinitively... it's extremely annoying and makes Reaper really bad for composing midi...how is it possible this remains unnoticed still?
Do you have ReaControlMidi as the first plugin in the chain?
Old 03-12-2021, 09:04 PM   #4
fuzzball

This has happened to me several times, and I must close Reaper to get it to stop hanging. Very annoying.

I'll try to pay attention next time to which FX instruments I'm using when it happens to see if there's a pattern. I just assumed it was Reaper or this M-Audio Oxygen Pro 49 at fault.
fuzzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:19 AM   #5
Phazma

This can affect various users for different reasons and while Cockos have already done a lot of work to improve it, for some users it is still a problem. What solved it for me was to stop using AU plugins and only use VST.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:59 AM   #6
RobertP

There is actually a good few posts about this on this forum, so I assume it is happening for a good few people, a good few times. There have also been a number of solutions, or part solutions.

What I do:when it happens with a specific instrument I generally hit F3 and it mostly stops. I make a note of the instrument name. At some point I then make FX chain with ReaControlMidi (no need to alter anything) as the first plugin in the chain followed by the instrument - if I decide to add other FX before the instrument they always come after ReaControlMidi - so, whatever you use always comes after ReaControlMidi in the chain. I save this as a FX chain.

I stumbled across Kenny G video about how to make categories/folders and show and hide FX in the FX Browser. Once done I add them to the folder I want...easy peasy.

As a matter of interest, the main culprits for me were the Native instrument brass instruments.
I can't recall when the note hang happened last for me but I am sure it will happen today now!!

Last edited by RobertP; 03-13-2021 at 03:08 AM.
RobertP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:37 AM   #7
ayskura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
I had the problem of hanging notes a long time ago. It affected certain plugins that I have since stopped using. So I would think that this is plugin-dependent rather than than Reaper-dependent, and I guess that's why this "remains unnoticed still".
well it is reaper-dependent as in logic or any other program with the same plugin you don't have this issue...

I am talking of main stream plugins like arturia for example, not an unknown developer...
Old 03-15-2021, 08:38 AM   #8
ayskura

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Do you have ReaControlMidi as the first plugin in the chain?
no I don't what would it do? and if it's so important why isn't there by default?
Old 03-15-2021, 09:13 AM   #9
carbon

I got help with the JS: MIDI Sanitizer as the first plugin in the chain.
U-he synths were the hangers for me.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:22 AM   #10
EpicSounds

I haven't had any issues with stuck notes in ages since I carefully went through my preferences.

Things like:

Uncheck "don't flush synthesizer plugins on stop/reset"
uncheck "don't send note-offs or pitch reset messages on stop/reset"

search for note off and you'll find several options that can contradict.

I could probably still force a stuck note to happen but in normal use it must be a year or more since last problem.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:30 AM   #11
b2001

Do a google on “stuck midi notes” or something to that effect on the Reaper forums to note that it does not remain unnoticed still.

I very, very rarely have this issue but I do on occasion. Not saying I’m doing things right and you’re doing things wrong. It does appear to be an issue; enough folks complian about it.

What I am saying is the issue appears to be complicated based on the variety of experiences (like mine vs. yours). If this happens all the time, providing repeatable examples as a part of this bug report is a first step. What vstis?

I don’t represent the developers and can’t speak for them as far as priorities go but the first step is ability to reproduce an issue consistently. I would not be able to for this problem. Provide all the specific details that you can. It might provide a clue as to what is going on.

As far as reacontrolmidi or midi sanitizer not there by default. They’re just workarounds that users have discovered that work in some cases anyway.
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:53 AM   #12
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayskura View Post
no I don't what would it do? and if it's so important why isn't there by default?
I don't know why it isn't default, as it cured the hanging notes once and for all here. Create a track template for your Midi instruments with ReaControlMidi as the first instance (I also have MB MIDI Event filter as 2nd plugin in order to filter out aftertouch if needed) and just load that whenever you want to use a VSTi or a Midi hardware synth.

Last edited by beingmf; 08-09-2022 at 12:30 PM.
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:56 PM   #13
vojtyz

I'm afraid that the only thing we can do is to report this bug million times every day, so Cockos will finally notice it and fix it after almost 10 years.

I've already done that. Bug report sent.
vojtyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:54 AM   #14
EpicSounds

if you are still having an issue with this
post a minimal project demonstrating the issue and your reaper.ini
Old 04-14-2021, 10:31 PM   #15
ayskura

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
if you are still having an issue with this
post a minimal project demonstrating the issue and your reaper.ini
here is an example https://youtu.be/_mMrw1qwJsM and I got this everytime really

I added a showing of options as you said, looking for Note-Offs

and really ReaControlMidi cures this issue, I really can't understand why it is happening in the first place and why it is not a priority to remove this issue as it creates really lot of trouble when trying to compose with virtual instruments, so much so I even sometimes used other DAWs just for this very reason! Thank you for pointing out about ReaControl Midi and I will really have it on every track basically... still it's kind of weird for me to have to go to a workaround for something so basic?
Old 04-15-2021, 12:00 AM   #16
EpicSounds

interesting!
I actually had stuck notes with Kontakt the other day in a stream, also on Mac.
but now I've just wasted 15 minutes trying to make it happen again.

Very interesting that simply having ReaControlMIDI in the chain would solve the issue.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:04 AM   #17
beingmf

I think I'd use ReaControlMIDI even without the anti-note-hanging feature. The ability to quickly use envelopes for essential Midi controls is fantastic.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:40 AM   #18
Phazma

I find it interesting that the fact ReaControlMIDI prevents hanging notes doesn't seem to help the devs narrow down what could be going on and ultimately solve it. After all they have coded it and should know how it processes incoming MIDI notes. If that processing, whatever it is (maybe it is even just a very slight delay), could be applied natively to tracks when an instrument is loaded onto them, it could be kind of a fix.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:39 AM   #19
RobertP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
I find it interesting that the fact ReaControlMIDI prevents hanging notes doesn't seem to help the devs narrow down what could be going on and ultimately solve it. After all they have coded it and should know how it processes incoming MIDI notes. If that processing, whatever it is (maybe it is even just a very slight delay), could be applied natively to tracks when an instrument is loaded onto them, it could be kind of a fix.
Believe me, I am ignorant when it comes to this stuff, but surely what you say points to the vsti being the culprit, not Reaper, as some vsti's seem to do this, not all.
However, I guess there could be any number of variables involved depending on your specific setup.

I am happy with the two methods that seem to me to work - ReaControlMIDI or F3.
But, I would like to see a permanent solution as even these don't work 100%.
I very occasionally have to let the tracks play completely through for it to stop.
As I have said before, it usually happens in relation to stopping and starting playback with space-bar .....for me at least.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:16 AM   #20
ayskura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
Believe me, I am ignorant when it comes to this stuff, but surely what you say points to the vsti being the culprit, not Reaper, as some vsti's seem to do this, not all.
However, I guess there could be any number of variables involved depending on your specific setup.

I am happy with the two methods that seem to me to work - ReaControlMIDI or F3.
But, I would like to see a permanent solution as even these don't work 100%.
I very occasionally have to let the tracks play completely through for it to stop.
As I have said before, it usually happens in relation to stopping and starting playback with space-bar .....for me at least.
I'm sure it's realted to plugins but at the same time Reaper is the only DAW that does this! with the same plugins I mean!

for me it's like if it miss a reset / note off on press stop. I think that would be a solution actually.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:00 AM   #21
EpicSounds

is anyone getting stuck notes in renders?
Old 04-15-2021, 08:34 AM   #22
Phazma

Quote:
Never had a single stuck note in a render, only drop-outs (notes that didn’t play or played shorter than expected durations).

(There is to say that I very very rarely get stuck notes nowadays anyway).
Old 04-15-2021, 08:55 AM   #23
beingmf

Quote:
No, all correct (fingers crossed)
Old 04-16-2021, 05:28 AM   #24
carbon

My case is somewhat special, but I got/get lots of note hangs with Beatstep pro synced to Reaper via USB.

I have other problems with it too, but that's another topic:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=251718

EDIT: Still stuck notes, even with no Beatstep connected.

Last edited by carbon; 05-25-2021 at 04:54 AM.
carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 01:25 AM   #25
beingmf

The first time I experienced the hanging notes issue despite ReaControlMIDI was when demoing Waldorf Nave. Every. Single. Note. So what's the difference in this VSTi compared to e. g. Waldorf Largo, which I use all the time without any problem?