Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 03-31-2021, 01:55 PM   #1
flusterstorm
Human being with feelings

Default [6.25] take envelope (pitch) behaviour inconsistent, depending on playback position

here's a video of said behaviour: https://i.imgur.com/jV70WOa.mp4 (apologies for the low volume, but it should be audible)

you can easily reproduce this the following way:
1) load a sample of an 808 kick or something similar
2) set the envelope range to something large, like 96 semitones
3) set up a pitch envelope, from +96 to +-0
4) start playback from different positions, like i do in the video. the output will sound differently, depending on where you started playback from.

i can provide a project including the sample, if necessary

additional info:
this behaviour persists when rendering (where playback position would be start of time selection)
the "correct behaviour" (same behaviour as when rendering from sample start) seems to occur at distances of a multiple of 1/4 bar. these cancel out perfectly when rendering + polarity reversing on one
flusterstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:42 AM   #2
flusterstorm

Do I have to bump this until someone responds, or can I assume this is being taken care of?
Old 04-10-2021, 06:32 PM   #3
juliansader

You are welcome to bump the report now and then, but there is no "bug tracker" that provides a schedule of planned fixes, so no-one knows when any particular bug will be fixed. The devs seldom reply to bug report threads.

It would be very helpful if you could provide the project including the sample. The easier it is for the devs (and other interested users) to replicate the bug, the greater the chance of a speedy fix.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:19 AM   #4
flusterstorm

I've attached a ZIP with an example project. Here it's even more obvious than in the video example. Playback from either of the markers and the pitch will vary by semitones
Attached Files
File Type: zip bug_example.zip (112.8 KB, 86 views)
Old 04-22-2021, 03:50 AM   #5
flusterstorm

Bumping.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:07 PM   #6
juliansader

Strange... My impression is that REAPER skips the first fraction of a second of the item.

It seems that that the problem doesn't lie with the pitch envelope as such, since the problem persists after gluing the item to remove the pitch envelope.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:42 PM   #7
flusterstorm

It depends on from where you glued it. If you glue it together with an empty item, starting from position 4, the output will be correct. Starting at 3, 2 or 1 will give a false result.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:49 AM   #8
schwa
Administrator

I believe the issue is that the Elastique 3 Pro algorithm has some designed-in limits to how quickly the pitch can shift, and 98 semitones in 0.2 seconds is simply outside that limit. If you switch the algorithm (in project settings, or media item properties) to Elastique 2 Pro, that seems to fix the position-dependency.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:50 PM   #9
flusterstorm

Hmm.. That doesn't seem to explain the behaviour though.
Playing from position 4 (4 16ths before the clip) yields the correct result (same sound as when playing from the clip starting position). Now if you start playback one additional 16th earlier (5 16ths before the clip) the result will be incorrect again.

Edit: Also I've just tried switching to elastique pro 2.2.8, with the dummy project I've provided. It didn't affect the position dependency for me.

Last edited by flusterstorm; 04-27-2021 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:26 AM   #10
Fahrenheit Beats

Hello,

You are not the only guy how expiriences reapers wierd inconsistent Envelope behavior.

I already made a post on my issue and it also involves inconsistent timing and timing issues with some autimation all together
Fahrenheit Beats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:11 AM   #11
flusterstorm

Bump.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:08 AM   #12
flusterstorm

Buump
Old 06-02-2021, 05:34 AM   #13
Justin
Administrator

Due to the way pitch shift/time stretch algorithms tend to work, processing audio in blocks and deciding when to repeat/overlap/synthesize/etc, there will always be variation on output based on the timing...

So I'm afraid the solution to this is to live with it, and if you have a problematic section, you can use "render as new take" to apply the transformation as a new take which will then always play exactly the same starting from wherever in the take.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:15 AM   #14
flusterstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Due to the way pitch shift/time stretch algorithms tend to work, processing audio in blocks and deciding when to repeat/overlap/synthesize/etc, there will always be variation on output based on the timing...

So I'm afraid the solution to this is to live with it, and if you have a problematic section, you can use "render as new take" to apply the transformation as a new take which will then always play exactly the same starting from wherever in the take.
If that’s how it is, that’s okay for me. Thanks for clarifying!