Old 11-30-2018, 01:53 PM   #1
mykrobinson
Human being with feelings

Default Win VST Assistance

I need some assistance with getting Windows VSTs working in Linux. I have Antergos installed, which is a derivative of Arch. I installed Reaper and SWS Extensions from the AUR repositories and they work fine.

I tried using CARLA but had troubles.

Anyone able to help me figure out what I need to do to get Windows VSTs exposed to Reaper in Linux? I realize that not all of them will work, but I have not been able to get any to even show up in Reaper.

also, i read somewhere in here that the Airwindows plugins work in Linux. Do I just drop the *.so files into my VST path then refresh in Reaper?

Thanks
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
mykrobinson

UPDATE: I figured out the Airwindows stuff, and yes, just drop the *.s0 files into your VST path.

So how about getting Windows native VSTs working?

Thanks
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:53 PM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykrobinson View Post
UPDATE: I figured out the Airwindows stuff, and yes, just drop the *.s0 files into your VST path.

Thanks
I didn't have very good luck using Airwindows. It did work, but at very high latency for me. LinVST is what I'm using now, and I get latency comparable to running my VSTi plugin in Windows.

Basically, if you can get a Windows plugin to install in Wine, then it's just a matter of running a converter from LinVST to create the .so file. Once that's done, make sure REAPER has the location of the .so files in it's plugin path, and REAPER will find the plugins on the next launch.

I've got it now such that I can load my projects that were originally created in REAPER for Windows, and play them in REAPER for Linux.

Do note however, there may be a plugin or two that you won't be able to make work in Linux. I have the Lexicon MPX Native reverb, which requires an iLok2 or higher dongle. That one doesn't fly due to it's copy protection, but I have a slew of others that work just fine, including Kontakt, Komplete Elements, Superior Drummer 2, EZ-Drummer, EZ-Keys, Artutia Minimoog V, and so on.

Out of all my Windows plugins, I am missing only three. Two can probably be made to work, but I haven't spent the time to mess with them, and the other is the one that has to have the iLok.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:18 PM   #4
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I didn't have very good luck using Airwindows. It did work, but at very high latency for me. LinVST is what I'm using now, and I get latency comparable to running my VSTi plugin in Windows.
I think there's something wrong with your system. Airwindows Linux VSTs (*.so files) work fine, with no additional latency and comparable CPU to using the Windows-based VST versions (in Windows).
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I think there's something wrong with your system. Airwindows Linux VSTs (*.so files) work fine, with no additional latency and comparable CPU to using the Windows-based VST versions (in Windows).
AAAAAAAAUGGGG! It's that similar name thing again.

He was talking about getting Windows plugins to work in Linux, then mentioned AirWINDOWS. I mistakenly for the second time now, thought he was referring to the airWAVE bridge for running Windows plugins in Linux. This thing, which I never had good luck with.

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=13686

The AirWINDOWS plugins work fine, and I finally got around to grabbing most of the ones you suggested.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:11 PM   #6
JamesPeters

Ahahahahaha Ok that's good to know.

BTW, ReaComp is pretty freakin' great now after that knee fix. I hardly use anything else for compression.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:22 PM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Ahahahahaha Ok that's good to know.

BTW, ReaComp is pretty freakin' great now after that knee fix. I hardly use anything else for compression.
I haven't given it a thorough testing yet. Been too busy getting my final Windows VSTi plugins working in Linux, plus I bought the Vintage Plugins Bundle from OverTone DSP that are native Linux and have been giving them a workout.

I wish again, that ReaComp showed me what the knee looks like, because then I would know at a glance what it is doing. I know that's probably not a high priority, but had it had a knee display, everyone and their dog (or cat) would have known that the "weird knee" was weird, and it would have probably been addressed long before some geeky user with a sine wave generator and oscilloscope posted a proof video of what was happening behind the scenes.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:02 PM   #8
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I wish again, that ReaComp showed me what the knee looks like, because then I would know at a glance what it is doing.
If you know how to use a compressor, you know what it's doing. You can see where the threshold affects the input signal, and when the input source of the compressor is "feedback" you can even see the threshold interacting with the input level meter. The rest is just the curves I showed you, and you don't need to see them. Think of the input level meter and the threshold slider being the compression curve graph "edge on" 1-dimensional.

You just need to spend time trying compressors with different settings on different source materials.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:41 PM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
If you know how to use a compressor, you know what it's doing. You can see where the threshold affects the input signal, and when the input source of the compressor is "feedback" you can even see the threshold interacting with the input level meter. The rest is just the curves I showed you, and you don't need to see them. Think of the input level meter and the threshold slider being the compression curve graph "edge on" 1-dimensional.

You just need to spend time trying compressors with different settings on different source materials.
Thing of it is, I do know how to use a compressor. I had and used extensively a hardware DBX160 back in the early 80s, but I knew what it's knee looked like. It was predictable. Go over the threshold and volume starts being reduced, by the amount governed by the compression ratio.

The "weird knee" thing that was recently shown to have the volume go down, but then un-expectedly go back up is something that would have been visibly noticeable if there were a graph plotting the knee, but instead went un-detected for a long time until someone posted a video illustrating what was actually happening.

That said, I've used and appreciated the inclusion of ReaComp for the entire time I've used REAPER. I always just used my ears to set it, but after seeing that video the other day, I now know why I always thought it did not act like the hardware compressors I had used in the past.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:31 PM   #10
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykrobinson View Post

Thanks
Hi, this link has some steps to get going,

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=17798

and the windows related topic here also has good info.

The LinVst page itself also has steps to follow:

https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst

https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/wiki

If you consolidate your important plugins to one vst folder,
you'll simplify the plugin wrapping process for going forward.
It's easier the second time, but not hard when you've got the info.

The process ends up presenting each windows plugin .dll
next to one of the same name, with a .so extension,
it is these .so files that linux daws will host for you.

You'll also need a current wine release installed, with your
plugin collection installed, so the windows
softwares have a base of operation from which to be wrapped
by linvst.

Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 11-30-2018 at 11:36 PM. Reason: grammer
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote