Old 11-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
birdman
Human being with feelings

Default amplesound bass plug in

I got the amplesound acoustic bass plug in, which sounds great. Only problem is when recording a bass part using a midi keyboard, I hit a note and get multiple notes. I have adjusted literally every setting on the bass plug in and nothing makes it stop. Ive also tried recording different volumes, etc to see if it is Reaper, and have not found anything that affects the multiple notes. Im wondering if it's the midi keyboard since nothing else works?

Any ideas of any kind are totally appreciated. Thank you
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #2
birdman

Default amplesound bass problem

This is maddening. I removed the bass track from reaper, opened a new track and did a bass part and the multiple notes are gone. Does this mean it's reaper......or the plug in, or the keyboard or the computer? It sounds like reaper but I have no idea how to tell for sure. Can a track become damaged to the point where it has to be removed and redone? Is this a common problem?
Old 11-19-2018, 02:17 AM   #3
ivansc

Hi and welcome to the forums. I use the free versions of ample bass and ample guitar and have no issues at all.

This sounds like it is more likely to be something to do with either your keyboard or the cable attaching it to your computer. Have you had any issues with other virtual instrument plugins?

If you are using a plain USB cable, try different one and see if you can replicate the problem.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:29 AM   #4
Beemysch

Some ideas (I did not experience this problem myself, wether with amplesound bass nore with any other vst plugin)

High CPU/Storage/Ram Usage when recording (Windowsupdate/Antiviruscheck in background)?
Is the Midi Keyboard inserted via USB?
Did you connect the Keyboard before loading Reaper or afterwards?
Is the problem replicable?
Does this problem occur using other VST instruments?
Have you tested another USB Port?

Thats, what I would check first, if I ran into such problems.

B
Beemysch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:43 AM   #5
Michael AD

I have the Ample acoustic bass and have never had a problem.

Besides the above suggestions have you tried the Virtual Keyboard (ALT B)? If that works properly then it's probably your MIDI controller with the problem.
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #6
birdman

Default amplesound acoustic bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael AD View Post
I have the Ample acoustic bass and have never had a problem.

Besides the above suggestions have you tried the Virtual Keyboard (ALT B)? If that works properly then it's probably your MIDI controller with the problem.
Thanks, Michael! I just tried the virtual keyboard, and yes, still getting doubles or triplets on a few notes. Yesterday I tried using the compressor in the amplesound fx, and that seemed to help, leading me to believe its about the signal strength. However, I have not had this problem until lately, and previous recordings were fine at normal input levels, -18 to -12 dB. Not sure what to try next.

Bill
Old 11-20-2018, 01:32 PM   #7
birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Hi and welcome to the forums. I use the free versions of ample bass and ample guitar and have no issues at all.

This sounds like it is more likely to be something to do with either your keyboard or the cable attaching it to your computer. Have you had any issues with other virtual instrument plugins?

If you are using a plain USB cable, try different one and see if you can replicate the problem.
Thanks, Ivan. This is the only virtual plug in I have, and until now it was fine. For it to more or less, suddenly start doing this is difficult to understand. Im using a small cheap keyboard, and although new, it could be malfunctioning? It is connected to the computer with an optical/usb cable. I guess that also could be the problem.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #8
birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemysch View Post
Some ideas (I did not experience this problem myself, wether with amplesound bass nore with any other vst plugin)

High CPU/Storage/Ram Usage when recording (Windowsupdate/Antiviruscheck in background)?
Is the Midi Keyboard inserted via USB?
Did you connect the Keyboard before loading Reaper or afterwards?
Is the problem replicable?
Does this problem occur using other VST instruments?
Have you tested another USB Port?

Thats, what I would check first, if I ran into such problems.

B
Danke, Bee. Es gefreut mir. This problem recently began, and previously I had no problem with it.

There is nothing else running on the computer when recording
the keyboard is connected with an optical/usb cable, optical on the keyboard side, usb computer
the keyboard was connected when I opened reaper
yes the problem is replicable......everytime i try to record a bass line
I have no other vst instruments
Yes, tested another usb port
Old 11-20-2018, 02:19 PM   #9
birdman

Default process of elimination

Since the virtual keyboard did the same thing with double notes, then it isnt the keyboard or cable. So two things are eliminated.

That leaves the reaper software, the amplesound plug-in and the computer. If I had to guess I would say it isnt the plug-in but just a guess. Regarding reaper, as noted a few days ago I did just remove the bass track and open a new one. Temporarily that stopped the problem. Then it started again.

Any ideas on how to further eliminate the source are greatly appreciated.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:20 AM   #10
Michael AD

If this bass is your only VST instrument, then, by all means, download a few more instruments and try them out. If they all exhibit the same problem, then you know it's not the plug-ins - it's most likely your computer (or your Reaper installation).

If only the bass has the problem, then you have isolated the problem. I would uninstall it, download it again, and re-install it.
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #11
birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael AD View Post
If this bass is your only VST instrument, then, by all means, download a few more instruments and try them out. If they all exhibit the same problem, then you know it's not the plug-ins - it's most likely your computer (or your Reaper installation).

If only the bass has the problem, then you have isolated the problem. I would uninstall it, download it again, and re-install it.
Good ideas, Michael.........thank you. Will try this
Old 12-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #12
pderbidge

I would also check your midi recording settings. Make sure, for example, that you're not in step record mode which might trigger extra notes that you don't realize you're recording when just practicing around on your keyboard. Here is a video on step record just to give you an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO_QBWBb6pk&t=120s
pderbidge is offline   Reply With Quote