Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-06-2017, 02:16 AM   #281
Ulf3000
Human being with feelings

my 2 cents :

many features in reaper are more or less "half-assed" ..

we still have stuck midi-notes,

the default layout is a mess ,

zooming in midieditor (always snaps to the left edge ) is still in its infancy and really makes working in midi worse , was never adressed even though many people asked for it for many years (this is probably the single worst thing in reaper)

the routing window and especially midi routing is in efficient , it was never upgraded to a better layout

there are no simple up and down buttons on the vst presets dropdown (like ??? that so basic )

experiments like transient detection setting , or now waveform/spectrum colors are just implememted
as a proof of concept in some global window(even though it should be media object based ) . they never took the time to enhance and just leave it there.

not even drag and drop in the mediabrowser, the mediabowser is really in alpha state imho, probably the first implementation since v2 , same for teh vst browser

the reaper devs often favour new stuff and just leave old stuff in its 1st version and never look back ..

over the time that lead to reaper coming off as a little cluttered and slapped together.

that doesn´t mean we can´t make music or anything , music is not rocket-science and the tools reaper has are sufficient and reaper has very many cool stuff on board , im using it and im having fun and joy .

but the points i adressed above are valid and you need to find your own ways around it (browsing the forum for hidden gems , customizing your toolbar with extra actions or 3rd party scripts).

not everybody has the time and computer knowledge to dig so deep try every script and easily find his way . many people are just musicians who need a streamlined experience.

im a computer nerd and it even takes me a whole day or two installing firefox on a new system with all the quirks and tweaks and addons and hidden settings n stuff , but thats not the norm and i know it.

reaper needs few weeks of tweaking. as a student no problem , as a working husband very much a problem.
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:06 AM   #282
mschnell

None of the points you state is relevant for what I am doing with Reaper.

That of course does not mean it's relevant for your workflow. So they supposedly are worth being stated.

So this obviously is very much depending on the personal situation of the customer.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:55 PM   #283
woggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
None of the points you state is relevant for what I am doing with Reaper.

That of course does not mean it's relevant for your workflow. So they supposedly are worth being stated.

So this obviously is very much depending on the personal situation of the customer.

-Michael

hmmm, does this mean you think you think many features in Reaper are "half-assed" but you don't use those features so they don't affect you. Or that you like the features being "half-assed" so that half-asssedness suits you
woggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #284
mschnell

I just seem not to use the features mentioned by Ulf, so I can't comment on those. The features I do use are greatly done in a way that pleases me. But of course there are potential feature that I would like to see implemented.

I just wanted to express that I don't deny to anybody to express their opinion, but they should state that it applies just to their own dedicated POV.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-06-2017 at 09:47 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #285
karbomusic

Maybe not getting overly side-tracked on such things to begin with. That entire half-assed thing has merit in the music world (we all want the best) but far more often is a trap people can never get themselves out of, ultimately dragging down the whole in the name of. Whether that be a DAW function or making the actual music. Yes, I'm a little OT but at some point we waste far more time in petty back and forths than anything else.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-06-2017 at 02:47 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:55 PM   #286
woggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post

I just wanted to express thai I don't deny to anybody to express their opinion, but they should state that it applies just to their own dedicated POV.

-Michael
I tend to take that as understood on the net. If someone makes a measurable claim it is normally fairly obvious, if a claim about values that seems obvious most times as well
Eg " Reaper looks shit" is easy to take as a pov, a matter of taste. On the other hand " reaper has less visual coherence than most DAWs" is a claim that can be measured by some set of agreed criteria
Old 06-07-2017, 02:51 AM   #287
marcoctn

c'mon we all been through a shock.
First time you open reaper it looks horrible, behave in a strange way (zooming, scrolling, etc etc).

you really need to dig into it to fall in love.
marcoctn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:07 AM   #288
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by woggle View Post
. On the other hand " reaper has less visual coherence than most DAWs" is a claim that can be measured by some set of agreed criteria
The hard part is trying to get a consensus as to what that set of agreed criteria consists of.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:19 AM   #289
woggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
The hard part is trying to get a consensus as to what that set of agreed criteria consists of.
at least with explicit criteria a discussion is possible - there are reasonable definitions of coherence in terms of number of objects and their relations ie predictability. For example a claim could be made that software that always has a resizing method that is the same for all windows is more coherent than one that doesn't. Now someone might say that more coherence in this context doesn't matter to them - that's a pov, a statement of their feelings, but the claim that there is a better defn of coherence to work from can lead to a discussion and maybe a better defn
Old 06-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #290
ivansc

If you are talking about internal consistency within an application, I agree 100% but there again once any inconsistencies have been pointed out to the guilty coder, it then becomes a case of how much development time is available to address stuff like that, in relation to all the other stuff thy are already working on.
Clients don't generally get to set priorities to that degree even at the biggest, fanciest of developers.

And of dourse getting back to a consensus as to what needs fixing and what doesn't, you also have to take into account the opinion of the devs as to a particular item's relative worth/importance.
A classic example is in fact the hole high DPI display support in Reaper, bearing in mind a year ago Justin said it was not yet high on their priority list due to relatively low uptake of the technology outside the Gamer community at the time.

Circumstances alter cases, as always.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #291
Memphis Flash

I'm New to it so I can't comment on most of it, it does seem attainable whereas FL Studio looks fabulous (the best ) it seems completely out of reach, so much to take in just to get going?
Memphis Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #292
Robert Johnson III

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoctn View Post
you really need to dig into it to fall in love.
Yeah, that's what I thought... But then I discovered quite a few (long standing) major bugs and unpractical idiosyncrasies with no workaround.

https://soundcloud.com/mytopia
Robert Johnson III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:53 PM   #293
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johnson III View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought... But then I discovered quite a few (long standing) major bugs and unpractical idiosyncrasies with no workaround.

(headscratch) So why are you still here? Surely if you have issues with no workaround, Reaper can`t possibly be a viable platform for you to do your music???

This is turning into a pretty weird thread now.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #294
Robert Johnson III

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
(headscratch) So why are you still here? Surely if you have issues with no workaround, Reaper can`t possibly be a viable platform for you to do your music???

This is turning into a pretty weird thread now.
Dead on! Waiting for stuff to get fixed and in the meantime writing and recording songs with some other DAW.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:13 PM   #295
woggle

Quote:
Dead on! Waiting for stuff to get fixed and in the meantime writing and recording songs with some other DAW.
Your music and recording quality is excellent.
What are you specifically wanting that Reaper does not do yet. I would have thought Reaper is absolutely targeted for the type of music you make
Old 06-07-2017, 11:25 PM   #296
ivansc

Quote:
Smart man.
I did the same when Reapers MIDI didnt do all the things I "needed" but in the meantime, improvements and a certain amount of rationalisation on my part has me using reaper for MIDI pretty much 100%.
A lot of my issues were down to old habits (MIDI) dying hard and not bothering to really explore the Reaper way of doing things.

I do still miss the hybrid stave editor though....
Old 06-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #297
reapercurious

reaper doesn't have a bad rap, its just that the 10 people who are fabulously wealthy "from music" are actually on the dole from apple and avid
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #298
Robert Johnson III

Quote:
Originally Posted by woggle View Post
Your music and recording quality is excellent.
What are you specifically wanting that Reaper does not do yet. I would have thought Reaper is absolutely targeted for the type of music you make
Thanks Woggle, much appreciated!

At the moment it is not possible to use tempo changes and do edits. I don’t want to be tied down by software that restricts me to work with a static grid. Sometimes a song needs to go faster or slow down a bit.

[Tempo markers with region copy/move do not stay on the grid - Cockos Incorporated Forums](http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=191209)

[Insert empty space moves tempo markers of the grid - Cockos Incorporated Forums](http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=191210)

Midi and grid snapping is also somewhat of black art...

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ight=Midi+grid

[A Bestiary of MIDI Bugs for v5.33 - Cockos Incorporated Forums](http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=181729)

Old 06-08-2017, 05:08 PM   #299
Delucci

The only thing that makes me confused sometimes is the routing in Reaper..
If I want to route a Snare to a Drums bus, I have to treat it as a 'send' and disable Snare master out, aaand it will stick close to a Reverb send, for example. And I don't like to work with folders.. There could be a way to directly route a track to another track.
Delucci is offline   Reply With Quote