Old 05-26-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default How should adjust volume for YouTube

Hey All:

I am just beginning to get the hang of mixing terminology, so be kind with your answer.

To the point, in a Kenny Gioia video, he was explaining about LUFS and the fact that the volume for YouTube videos should not go above -13.

So, my question is, just because YouTube says -13, should I do what I need to in order to peak at -13, or, just record at a level that I think is OK?

Your thoughts? ........
Old 05-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
Judders

You need an LUFS meter, such as this free one: https://youlean.co/youlean-loudness-meter/
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
sjs94704

Default OK, got it ! BUT, Now what ? There are no install instructions ......

What I find with LOTS of VSTs is that they come with NO install instructions !!! For newbies like me, that makes it kind of hard to know what to do with the files the VST comes with.

I notice it has a manual install folder. I have a 64-bit PC and inside there are 2 files:
  1. YouLean Loudness Meter 2.dll
  2. YouLean Loudness Meter 2.vst3

So, the question is ...... what Reaper folders should I put these files in so that I can open up the VST and start using it?

I would be grateful for your help .....

Thank You !
Old 05-26-2018, 11:26 AM   #4
Stella645

Place the VST3 file in C:/Program Files/Common Files/VST3 - You can create a Youlean subfolder in there for neatness or just drop it straight in.

Don't worry about the VST2. One version is all you need.

Now start Reaper and check if it's available.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
sjs94704

Default I am so confused ......

I am still trying to figure out this LUFS stuff....

I have 5 instruments plus 1 vocal in my mix.

I have a Music BUSS that all my instruments are routed to.

During playback I set each individual instrument to hit very close to -18 before any added VSTs. During playback the music BUSS is hitting between -24 to -18 at its loudest parts and -30 at its lowest parts.

During playback the vocal track is hitting -36 to -24.

On the MASTER track it has an EQ and the Youlean Loudness Meter and during playback is hitting -24 to -18

During Playback the Youlean Loudness Meter is hitting the following #'s:

Short Term: -25 to -32 LUFS
Integrated: -30.2 LUFS
Loudness Range: -11 LU
PLR-S: -9 to -11 LU
PLR-1: 17.5 LU

I am watching the Kenny Gioia video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wPnlND92QU&t=251s

I see he has a couple compressors on the MASTER track as well as a limiter. Is there a way to do this without all that stuff?

At this pointg I am simply trying to reach that -13 LUFS so that it will be correct for my YouTube videos.

What am I doing wrong here?

Like I said, from a newbie point of view so many videos totally leave out some what to me is critical information !!!

Last edited by sjs94704; 05-26-2018 at 03:12 PM.
sjs94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:32 PM   #6
RDBOIS

It is the INTEGRATED LUFS that needs to be at approx -13

You probably can raise the volume slider of you Magic Bus until you reach -13 LUFS, but I'm willing to bet that if you do this you will have some PEAKS that will clip (i.e. be about 0 dB). You can see this TRUE PEAK MAX value on the Youlean Loudness Meter. It is best if it never goes over 0 - even -1 db to be safe. You can also visualize in the graphical output window little RED lines appear on the top of the wav form where peak are going over zero (0).

And therefore, a safer bet than increasing the volume slider of you Magic Bus is to raise the volume slider of the LIMITER, which is going to be the LAST VST plugin on your Magic Bus. Also the ceiling of the Limiter will be set to -1 dB.

If you really want to keep things simple get the LOUDMAX free vst plugin and put that at the very end of the FX chain of your Magic Buss. This is maximizer - very much like a limiter: you set the OUTPUT value to - 1.0 dB and then move the slider until the YOULEAN gets to -13 LUFS. Loudmax is a great plugin for people who want to keep things simple and yet have a solid VST to increase the final volume without messing up the mix badly.

Here is the link:

https://loudmax.blogspot.com

One thing you need to look for: Look at display window of the LoudMax at the right side --- it will show you in a red color how much increase in volume the plugin is doing -- how much maximizing is going on. You don't want this to go over six (6). If it goes over 6 then you are pushing things too hard. What you do in this case is increase the volume of you mix somewhere BEFORE the Loudmax VST. If you want a simple solution to do this you can add the JS:Volume-Pan that comes free with Reaper. Put this plugin right before the Loudmax and increase the volume of your mix a little bit - go to Loudmax and see if you can get the results (-13 lufs on youlean) without going over the value of 6.

You will need to go back and forth until you succeed.

Have fun learning -- this will very valuable for you as you will have full control of the final loudness and peaks of you songs.

By the way --- -13 LUFS is --- sort of loud. You can aim for -16 to -14 LUFS and your mix will still be loud enough. I say this because sometimes cranking up the limiter - maximizer can have nasty effects on the dynamics of your mix. Small things will get blown out of proportion - like the 's' sounds in the vocals or the harshness, pain frequencies, for example. You are not producing Heavy Metal songs --- your songs are sweet and gentle -- there is no real need to crank the volume to compete with the loudest of all the commercial songs in today's market (aka The Loudness War).

You be the judge whether -16 is enough or not.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:26 PM   #7
sjs94704

Default Thank You! I also found this video ....

I also found this video by Dana Tucker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb9sUrTK1xo

At time stamp 11:20 - 14:15 he shows how to normalize the LUFS of the tracks to -15. I did this with success but, I'm wondering, was it the right thing to do to the vocal track as well?

Last edited by sjs94704; 05-26-2018 at 10:54 PM.
sjs94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:31 PM   #8
RDBOIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
I also found this video by Dana Tucker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb9sUrTK1xo

At time stamp 11:20 - 14:15 he shows how to normalize the LUFS of the tracks to -15. I did this with success but, I'm wondering, was it the right thing to do to the vocal track as well?
Just the track