Old 10-23-2006, 01:56 PM   #1
TerryW
Human being with feelings

Default Seven Bridges

Here's the next song for my new album.
The style is Ballad, and the language is in Dutch (sorry)
The guitar solo's played by a friend of me on his marvelous handmade custum Valley Arts guitar through a Line 6 Vetta II.
Maybe it's not your kind of musicstyle, but i like to hear your opinion again for the mix etc.

Regards, Terry.

MP3 - 128 kbps.
http://en.swoopshare.com/file/a2f7d0...idges.mp3.html
TerryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:55 AM   #2
sharkfin73

Hi Terry,

I'm listing with Sony earbuds. The once that give a full bass sound. I'm pretty used to these and the let me hear stuff I would not hear on speakers.

On the intro keys there is some high pitched ringing on the keys that stands out pretty bad, it's that one note in there. Would like to hear these keys sounding a bit warmer and fuller??

Also on the vocal verb some of the vocal parts are "splashing" the verb pretty hard adding some pretty harsh high end noise. I like the large verb on a ballad like this. I'm sure you know how to adjust or EQ the verb's wet to get rid of this artifact. The vocal tone is outstanding! What mic and pre is this?

Man it opens up so nice one the rest comes in.

See I like this you treated the second verse a bit different. Bass and drums along with the organ? Bigger drum fill this time before bridge. What would have been a duplicate of the first turns out a bit different and you build it up a bit more. (I'm taking notes LOL!!)

I love the vetta I use a PODxt but have played the Vetta. There is this sound in there that is the same pitch as our office phones ringing LOL!! I think it's one of the cymbols. Makes me think my phone it ringing LOL!

Other than these petty comments it's perfect IMO. Great job!
sharkfin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
JDBoone

Hey! Sounds fantastic! The vocals sound really great, even though i can't understand them - i think i prefer it that way. I'm pretty sure I heard the word 'seven' in there quite a few times . Anyway - greeat job! I think sharkfin did a pretty good job describing what stands out most. The keys do have some kind of high ringing - though it didn't bother me with my inferior headphones. Perhaps you could try mixing in some tones from various VSTis, that is if it's midi. Maybe a piano sound mixed in? Sounds good regardless. The reverb on the vocals in the beginning could definitely be a little less harsh. And crank up those tom fills leading into the chorus part! The ending is kind of abrupt too. But all these notes are just my opinion, of course - and it is almost to perfection! Great job.. I'll be singing that all day.."over sayven sd sdfjkk..."
JDBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
TerryW

Thanks for your comments sharkfin73 and JDBoone.

The e.piano sound came from a Roland S750 library, maybe the conversion to pc was bad.
Btw all samples came from this sampler.
Further no VSTi plugins used except for acc.guitar (Virt.GTR).
This "phone" sound could be the ride-cymbal.
And i think i need to try another reverb or setting, i'll use
s the Lexicon Pantheon for this, it has alot of highend.

And again thanks for both your wise words.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
sharkfin73

I would not use wise to describe me LOL!! But thanks your the wise one with sounds like your getting. Extra ears sure help though.

Again what vocal mic did you use?
sharkfin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
TerryW

I'm using an old Pearl CMR 55-V condenser studio mic without pre.
Connected to a Yamaha AW16G DAW.
Yes they sounds great even without any eq, but are difficult to get.
Look at the new versions on www.pearl.se
For live performance i wanna buy soon two Neumann KMS-105, there are no better vocal mics than these!

Terry.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:54 PM   #7
ahoova

Really good work. Nice classic sound. Yes, go with another lead vocal reverb to see if you can smooth it out some without the "ringiness" but again, that's a subjective assessment.
ahoova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:17 AM   #8
rforssell

I enjoyed listening to this song! Well done!
rforssell is offline   Reply With Quote