Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 12-27-2017, 09:51 PM   #1
RDBOIS
Banned

Default MARIO - WIP Song - Need you ears and advice

MARIO - WIP - Need you ears and advice

Mixing this song was a challenge. It has some 'unconventional' instruments (tabla, tanpura, and digeridoo), has some 'urban sounds' (downtown street noises and dogs barking), and, as usual some 'spoken words (this something I do...).

It's not a great song, but it tells a great story. It's about a very wise homeless man, and Rainbow brother, who was living in the streets of Montreal, Canada. He got into a jam because the police took his dogs. This song is a tribute to his spirit and determination to find justice in the world.

Anyway, please let me know if anything sticks out and need addressing. I don't have good monitors and don't have a treated room, so any feedback would be appreciated.

Here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17eW...ew?usp=sharing

Note: I haven't 'mastered' the song. It is simple the best mix I could do at this moment. If anyone wants to master this song?
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
RDBOIS
Banned

Ok. I was told it was muddy and nasal...

So I downloaded the VST plugin ISOL8 de Tdpro/Audio and referenced my song with Brian Adams, Peter Gabriel, Edie Brickell and the New Bohemian, Tom Petty, et Jean Leloup.

I always had too much at 120 et 350 hz and not enough at 2, 5, et 10 K. I didn't remix, but did a mastering avec TDRproNova. I got this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TrK...ew?usp=sharing

The song is now comparable to the 'average' of the reference songs.

How is it on your end?

Last edited by RDBOIS; 12-28-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:16 AM   #3
Usta
Human being with feelings

I'm listening on regular speakers and the 2nd version sounds a lot clearer (better).
I don't have active monitors atm so I can't give a "detailed" comment.
Usta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:18 AM   #4
mschuster

Mix #2 definitely got better with the low-end changes you made. It was noticeable right off the bat with the guitar (classical? acoustic?) - but you could also hear it on the vocals too.

A lot of creativity and complexity in here! Enjoyed this quite a bit. Moving piece..
mschuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:32 PM   #5
soundchaser59

I understand why people like the 2nd mix better, but there are things I like about the first mix also. The first one is smoother, but the 2nd one is more spacious and airy sounding, brighter. The first one sounds slightly darker but cleaner in my opinion.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:34 AM   #6
sai'ke

I'm so glad he got his dogs back! ;___;

What a rollercoaster. Thanks for that!
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:59 AM   #7
loob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
MARIO - WIP - Need you ears and advice

Mixing this song was a challenge. It has some 'unconventional' instruments (tabla, tanpura, and digeridoo), has some 'urban sounds' (downtown street noises and dogs barking), and, as usual some 'spoken words (this something I do...).

It's not a great song, but it tells a great story. It's about a very wise homeless man, and Rainbow brother, who was living in the streets of Montreal, Canada. He got into a jam because the police took his dogs. This song is a tribute to his spirit and determination to find justice in the world.

Anyway, please let me know if anything sticks out and need addressing. I don't have good monitors and don't have a treated room, so any feedback would be appreciated.

Here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17eW...ew?usp=sharing

Note: I haven't 'mastered' the song. It is simple the best mix I could do at this moment. If anyone wants to master this song?

Only the vocal is muddy in this mix IMHO. The rest is nice and warm. Nice work!
loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:49 AM   #8
g4greg

j'aime beaucoup!

Le message qui passe est vraiment bon, et l'histoire est fascinante.

Je pense que la toune est parfaite comme ca. a part 2-3 tweaks de mixage ici et la.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #9
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4greg View Post
j'aime beaucoup!

Le message qui passe est vraiment bon, et l'histoire est fascinante.

Je pense que la toune est parfaite comme ca. a part 2-3 tweaks de mixage ici et la.
Hey merci!

Oui l'histoire est réelle: http://plus.lapresse.ca/screens/cd2f...0nJtj0ogm.html

J'ai rencontré Mario dans un rassemblement "Rainbow" - dans la forêt en Mauricie. Et puis, d'apprendre qu'il habitait à Montréal dans une camionnette avec ses chiens dans le centre ville (un quasi sans abris). Un jour la police a saisi ses chiens... Moi je suis parti sur un nowhere - en voyage pour trois ans. Finalement, je suis établi sans le sud près de la Nouvelle Orléan et procuré un ordi portable, instrument, et micro. Je suis novice pour ce qui touche l'enregistrement - alors mes productions sont très amateur. J'apprend bcp et va sans doute améliorer ma technique.

Je constate les défauts dans la production de MARIO, mais je n'ai pas le coeur de recommencer. J'ai plusieurs autres chansons en attente d'être enregistrées.

Mario va bien et aussi ses chiens.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:38 PM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Ok. I was told it was muddy and nasal...

So I downloaded the VST plugin ISOL8 de Tdpro/Audio and referenced my song with Brian Adams, Peter Gabriel, Edie Brickell and the New Bohemian, Tom Petty, et Jean Leloup.

I always had too much at 120 et 350 hz and not enough at 2, 5, et 10 K. I didn't remix, but did a mastering avec TDRproNova. I got this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TrK...ew?usp=sharing

The song is now comparable to the 'average' of the reference songs.

How is it on your end?
Sounds balanced to me and I'm listening on my MDVR6 phones which will always expose an overly bright mix. Love the East Indian instruments. I can zone out all day on a tamboura.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:29 PM   #11
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Sounds balanced to me and I'm listening on my MDVR6 phones which will always expose an overly bright mix. Love the East Indian instruments. I can zone out all day on a tamboura.
Hey thanks for commenting. I'm still rather new at producing music, so i'm learning every day. I probably would mix it differently, but i need to let it go with whatever flaws i hear.

Did you see the video i made for this song? I'm happy with that Mario is a real person i met in Montreal Canada - a Rainbow brother.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:12 AM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:
Hey thanks for commenting. I'm still rather new at producing music, so i'm learning every day. I probably would mix it differently, but i need to let it go with whatever flaws i hear.

Did you see the video i made for this song? I'm happy with that Mario is a real person i met in Montreal Canada - a Rainbow brother.
Cool video. I always use the cringe test for my mixes. If I can play the song start to finish and not cringe anywhere during playback, I call it done!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote