Old 01-06-2018, 01:14 AM   #81
cubic13
Human being with feelings

@krahosk
Thanks ! let me know how things will go...

@hopi
It's normal that you can't redimension the extended area as the theme is built with the set mcp.extmixer.mode [1] statement, which means that the panels containing all the controls have a fixed vertical size, this to preserve the dimensions of all the graphic stuff in them. About the separators, I kept their overall look similar to the regular strip ones to keep a unified view of the mixer, but yes, I could add full blank ones also, now. This brings me to the subject of your mail. I have tested PNGGauntlet on all the AbbeyRoad graphic files and got this :

Compressed 410/410 files. Saved 336.05 KB total in 1:49.

The .ReaperThemeZip file obtained after the process being 1846 kb instead of 2124 and is perfectly functional. The results is not the same as yours (maybe there is an option for a more in depth treatment) but it's surely worth using it. Actually, I am wondering why this tool isn't more well known, as it is also very easy to use. The only problem that I see is that its installation doesn't take into account of eventual multiple Windows profiles, from which, we have to use it with the administrator one. Overall, thanks for having led me to this one !

Now, about the meters, why not ? And you know where to send them...

Last edited by cubic13; 01-06-2018 at 01:23 AM.
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #82
hopi

OK... so I just sent the version with blue meters via email...

Let's talk about pngauntlet a litte...

first, YES... it is to me a wonderful tool and it is free and even though there are other png compression tools out there, my testing has shown me that pngauntlet actually not only does the best job but it way easier to use than anything else I've tried.
I don't have the problem you mentioned about administrator rights since I am the only 'user' on my PC and I have full admin rights. I'm on Win7 Pro 64 bit.

OK...that said, here is what I have seen with pngauntlet:

First, how I use it...

I just drag and drop the entire folder of png files onto the blank UI of the program and then hit the Optomise button at the top. I have it set to overwrite the existing files with the new compressed pngs...
In the case of AbbeyRoad, it can take about 3-4 minutes to totally finish..
Seems like there are about 4-5 files that it really slows down for at the end... so you have to watch the file count down at the bottom left... when it shows that it has completed them all you are good to go.

OK... I know you don't use Photoshop, but this should be mentioned as it might affect you in some way. In PS, the color mode is normally RGB color, but PS allows for other color modes, ... after pngauntlet does its work, the png files show up in PS as index color mode... which simply means that if I want to work further on them I have to first just change them back to RGB color mode.... no big deal, just a mouse clk.

So anytime I do more work on them, as a final step, I drag and drop the whole folder onto pngauntlet again.... and this is curious, in that it might get even better compression the second time around... Try it... see what you get.

Anyway, the overall point is that by running all the png's through it, you should get your themes down to a file size that will fit on the stash with room to spare... which in turn means you might have room to add layouts that you otherwise could not. Nice IMHO!

OK I'm going to send you another email with the settings I use for the pngauntlet options..

EDIT: I also just sent another email with an even smaller theme file size... got it down to 1,508 kb
so lots of room for more layouts!

Last edited by hopi; 01-06-2018 at 11:41 AM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:01 AM   #83
cubic13

Got your mails, hopi, thanks !

- Seeing your PNGGauntlet settings, I now understand why our results were different : when I made my test, I didn't even bother to look at all this. So, further tests are in my 'to do' list...

- I also tested your blue meters : they fit nicely in CLogic, but I'm less enthusiastic in AbbeyRoad. OTOH, I'll probably have to do something about the meters of the latter, as it is a subject of comments, maybe by reducing the transparency of the meters strips, as a first step...

Thanks again !
Old 01-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #84
hopi

yeah... I can certainly understand that for Abbey you might want the meters to be more subtle....

hummm here's a 'trick' I sometimes use in PS... take the png
and make another layer for just those strips [the blue] and make that
a white or gradient of light gray to white...
then set that to some degree of transparency so that it cut the color down
this can be done a for a few layers of that white... and may get you to the degree of 'faded' meters you like...

of course there really is nothing wrong with gray meters as they are..
I just like to see the meters in a very pronounced way, but that is just me.

Anyway ...good on pngauntlet settings.... and again, it is really curious that I can just keep running the whole folder a few times until the report at the bottom shows there has been zero amount of compression... then I know it is as small as it can get...
Old 01-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #85
krahosk

I now use the grey mod, it's easy on the eyes as Hopi mentions. A really great theme. Again, thank you.

Last edited by krahosk; 01-11-2018 at 02:10 PM.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #86
Jimmy James

I accidentally clicked on the older theme the other day. I thought "Oh these meters look good".
But the newest theme looks the best. And I do like the meters. A little color couldn't hurt or a option for the older meters as well.
I still think this is theme of the year!

I hope this spawns tg12345 or more EMI themes. Or I hope it spawn Kramer Konsole (Helios). Or some other COOL vintage layouts.
Jimmy James is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #87
Jimmy James

I'm starting to get use to using a empty channel as a blank channel. When I am full screen I have gotten spoiled on having a blank channel to break up my mixer.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:18 AM   #88
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
I'm starting to get use to using a empty channel as a blank channel. When I am full screen I have gotten spoiled on having a blank channel to break up my mixer.
do you not have a version with separators?
Old 01-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #89
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
do you not have a version with separators?
On dang, I don't. And I just seen his post talking about them on page 2. I must have missed a update.
I am going to record in a few hours. I will have to check for the newest ONE! Excited
Old 01-13-2018, 06:07 PM   #90
Jimmy James

GARRRR!!!! Where is this dang Menuset folder at? I can't find it at all!
Old 01-14-2018, 09:47 PM   #91
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
GARRRR!!!! Where is this dang Menuset folder at? I can't find it at all!
send me a PM with your email addy..

for that folder, go to the resources folder... or if you have a portable install it will be in there

or maybe you could try to customize any menu... like just a separator and then save it and see where it wants to save it...
Old 01-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #92
Jimmy James

Yes, I have a portable install. I will check out resources.

It is so dang nice to have a DIVIDER! Breaking up my mixer looks so smooth now. I like the biggest one of course. And I even put 2 of them side by side on a couple of mixes. Very cool.
I am trying out the new Grey mod I think it's called. It looks good. I am digging it. I will keep that one for a week or two and see how it goes.

Brilliant work.... best theme of 2017
Old 01-16-2018, 11:49 PM   #93
hopi

JJ you likely know this so you can tell me to just shut up ...

but... load up the separators you want... in both the tcp and mcp

select just that track and save it as a track template...

then you can even make an action to load that with one clk, via the SWS actions.... i.e., in the screensets, layouts window... you put that template into one of the slots... then it will show up in the action list and can added to any context menu and\or toolbar

Of course then you can do the same for other combination of tcp and mcp layouts... as templates, and into other slots

If you need more slots you just edit the line for Max_slot=xx in the Track Templates area of the sws.ini in reaper's resources folder....[just a simple text editor task]
Old 01-17-2018, 01:59 AM   #94
cubic13

Thanks JJ... ... and thanks to you, hopi, for the help...