Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-17-2023, 10:05 AM   #1
ivsound
Human being with feelings

Default No dB scale on MCP meters (v7.001)

No dB scale is displayed on mixer track meters, regardless of the state of the option "Show dB scale on track meters" in Preferences > Appearance > Track Meters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-10-17 200228.jpg (15.5 KB, 197 views)
ivsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 10:10 AM   #2
smandrap

They’re hidden by default in the theme adjuster. The v7 theme adjuster is still in pre-release though, so if you want to test it you have to get it from the pre release
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
The theme adjuster is not ready. Stick to the 3 default layouts or use a different theme unless you're comfortable using the pre-release development theme adjuster, which is currently pretty rough. Its going to be a while, sorry.
Old 10-17-2023, 10:45 AM   #3
fladd

It's great that you can also set this from a separate script, but the option in the general settings should of course still work by default.
Old 10-17-2023, 10:54 AM   #4
ivsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by fladd View Post
It's great that you can also set this from a separate script, but the option in the general settings should of course still work by default.
Agreed. This is still, by definition, a bug.
Old 10-17-2023, 10:57 AM   #5
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

The theme adjuster is not ready. Stick to the 3 default layouts or use a different theme unless you're comfortable using the pre-release development theme adjuster, which is currently pretty rough. Its going to be a while, sorry.
Old 10-17-2023, 11:02 AM   #6
ivsound

Quote:
I have no interest in beta-testing the theme adjuster at the moment.

None of the 3 default layouts display dB values in meters.

Reaper 7 should ship with working dB meters on mixer channels, it's an essential feature.

The option in Preferences should also work, or be removed until it works.

In the meantime, if it's a hard-coded inaccessible setting in the current theme adjuster, maybe it should default to "dB meters on" on a new installation (especially if "it's going to be a while".)

("on" seems to also be the default setting in Preferences, and rightly so).
Old 10-17-2023, 11:24 AM   #7
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Its an imperfect situation while I'm still working on the theme adjuster, sorry about that. Please continue to use the Default 6 theme, or whatever theme you were previously using, while the new offering gets up to scratch. Its going to be a while, sorry.
Old 10-17-2023, 01:09 PM   #8
fladd

This bug is NOT about the theme adjuster. It is about a setting in the REAPER preferences dialogue.
Old 10-17-2023, 01:25 PM   #9
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Ah, so this is happening when using the Default 6 theme?
Old 10-17-2023, 01:51 PM   #10
fladd

Quote:
Ah, so this is happening when using the Default 6 theme?
No, this is happening with the default 7 theme. The setting in the preferences should of course affect all themes. It does not. That is a bug.
Old 10-17-2023, 02:09 PM   #11
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

The default 7 theme will have the same meter behaviour as the default 6 theme, once its theme adjuster is completed. I acknowledge you think this is a bug, I disagree, lets not get caught up in semantics. The theme adjuster provides a secondary layer of control over a great many things based on context, in a unified location, but its not finished yet, so things are going to be compromised for a bit, if you're not on board I completely understand, please continue using whatever theme you previously were.
Old 10-17-2023, 02:27 PM   #12
fladd

Okay, so once the theme adjuster is ready, the setting will start working again (like it does for the v6 theme, as you say). Clear. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:05 AM   #13
Superfly76

I like the V7 theme, but I rely on watching the db levels so much that I'm going to have to switch back to my modified V6 theme until it is ready. I need to see the db values I am changing the fader when mixing.
Old 11-16-2023, 12:54 AM   #14
mschnell

I suppose the Theme adjuster (currently Beta) will be able to activate the meters.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 11:33 AM   #15
JoeySunDotCom

Default Workaround

Currently running 7.05. This kinda worked for me:
Go to Options -> Themes -> Default_6.0
It might not be the shiny new one, but at least the db meters are working until the issue is fixed.

I did upgrade, and 7.x seems to ship with the 6.x theme, but if it's missing in your installation, you can get it by doing the following:
- Go to the Reaper Website
- Scroll all the way to the bottom
- Click "Old Versions" under Download in the footer bar
- Click "6.x" under "Jump to:"
- Download the latest 6.x version for Linux (since it comes as an archive)
- Unpack the archive
- Go to reaper_linux_x86_64\REAPER\InstallData\ColorThemes
- Open Default_6.0.ReaperThemeZip
That should install and load the 6.x theme.

Again: Not a solution, but at least it works. I'm gonna stick with the old theme until a patch rolls around.
JoeySunDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 12:32 PM   #16
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Reaper 7 does indeed come with both the Default 6 theme and the Default 6 Theme Adjuster.
Old 12-01-2023, 05:14 PM   #17
Headroom

Very disappointing. V7 should not have been released until completion. I'm not a software engineer that has time to trouble shoot script or search endless forms to find the answers such as V7 Theme is "not ready" especially when I paid for it . Reaper for me is about making music and not learning how to spend endless time troubleshooting software issues. Like many others How can I get the numbered meters on mixer tracks back for Reaper 7? All that I read is that V7 is still in development and I need to be patient until the Theme Adjuster is complete. In the mean time as a work around I should resort back to V6. Wouldn't you agree that this was an essential item and should have been considered before releasing V7? Yes I also read that I could install a third party plugin but that will take up so much real estate? So in the meantime I'll resort back to V6 like some others have also done.
Thanks!
Back to making music!
Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 01:38 AM   #18
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headroom View Post
So in the meantime I'll resort back to V6
In fact I don't know if the (free) (Beta) V7 Theme Adjuster in fact would do what you want.
If you are not inclined to use the new features of V7 (such as swipe comping), there is nothing and no one forcing you into V7.
Old 12-02-2023, 02:56 AM   #19
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Wouldn't you agree that this was an essential item and should have been considered before releasing V7?
Would have been nice. Essential? No, that's objectively wrong.

Reaper version 7, the program, comes with lots of new functionality that is fully present in whatever theme you use. Reaper is feature complete with every theme ever made, going all the way back. Your theme choice options have increased by one; Reaper version 7 installs with the v6 default theme and now also the new the v7 default, you can use that if you like. Or use the included v6 default theme, or any other theme, without penalty, if you like. Or use the Default v7 theme with mixer layout C, if you like. Or pretend that Reaper 7 isn't released yet, and continue to do so till the new theme adjuster is finished, if you like.

You get to choose to do what you like, but its up to you whether you like what you choose to do.
Old 12-02-2023, 05:45 AM   #20
eenymeeny

Default Glad this issue was raised

Also glad this issue was raised and I think some ppl in this thread are being unnecessarily harsh/unfair on op and others who see this as something that shouldn't be present in a new version release.

It took me, a complete Reaper newbie, half an hour to realise this was an issue, leave the excellent YT video I was watching (based on version 6 and hence with DB track meters in place), search the forum, locate this thread and then change back to an earlier theme to realise that the default theme that ships with Reaper not only does not but cannot display DB meters on tracks.

While there may be seasoned users of Reaper who know instantly what might be going on, remember that many of us are using Reaper for the first time after coming from the competition and that we are utterly lost when this kind of thing happens. The assumption that new users -- who are obviously going to be downloading the very latest version -- are going to know about themes, about layouts, about theme adjusters and all the rest is assuming way too much.

So, theme version 6 now activated and back to the tutorial :=).
eenymeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 07:58 AM   #21
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

I completely understand the resistance to things changing, Adobe sufferer here. But if things can't be different to how they were in pre-existing tutorial videos then that means there's a latch on everything that is ever one way, it can never be another way. This is initially another way, with a one click option to change it back. I acknowledge this might feel like a speed bump to some, all I can say is to repeat I'm working on the theme adjuster as quickly as I can, and I'm sorry.
Old 12-02-2023, 05:21 PM   #22
Headroom

[QUOTE=White Tie;2739216]Would have been nice. Essential? No, that's objectively wrong.

With all due respect White Tie I think you are missing the point. This is not an attack on your progress or work load or a “resistance to things changing.” In my opinion V7 should not have been released prematurely until completion. If more time was required for redesign or testing then that should have been the route. With regards to the missing db track meters, like eenymeeny I went through the same exercise to discover that this was a problem. I’m grateful that there is a fall back (V6) so that I could resume to getting back to producing and making music which in my opinion Reaper was designed for. In all fairness not having db track meters in V7 is not “feature complete” and is an essential item whether we agree or not. Incidentally the use of the Default v7 theme with mixer layout C requires too much real estate even with the two large monitors I presently have, thank you for that guidance. Alternatively I do like what I choose and it’s up to me whether I like to choose what I do. Keep up the good work ;-)
Old 12-03-2023, 01:24 AM   #23
mschnell

Any software at any point in time features shortcomings. Hence any release is premature.
(and regarding the dB meters in all tracks in the MCP, I don't see why they are useful and am happy that they vanished to save space. But of course I don't oppose to an option to make them appear in the v7 default theme.)

Last edited by mschnell; 12-03-2023 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-03-2023, 06:09 AM   #24
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
I’m grateful that there is a fall back (V6) s...not having db track meters in V7 is not “feature complete”
The v6 theme is not a fall back, it is fully featured in Reaper version 7. Reaper version 7 does have dB track meters, you have lost nothing. The v7 theme has the dB numbers hidden by default in Layout A if the track is unarmed, and like every decision this has pros and cons, and it changes a lot of other things too; new theme is different to old theme because of things about it that are different.
Old 12-03-2023, 05:41 PM   #25
Headroom

So what I’m referring to (see the attachments) is that in the V6 Mixer Tracks they have a numeric db value for each fader whereas in V7 there isn’t any. This is a very important item. I’m assuming that once the Theme adjuster is complete this will also be resolve or am I incorrect? Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: png V7 Theme.png (98.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: png Mixer V6 Theme.png (87.8 KB, 89 views)
Old 12-04-2023, 03:36 AM   #26
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

No, those numbers are not the fader values, not on either theme.
Old 12-04-2023, 12:15 PM   #27
Headroom

Quote:
No, those numbers are not the fader values, not on either theme.
Okay I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself properly and I apologize for that. Perhaps I wasn't clear in my explanation. I'm referring to the track vu meter db levels. If I switch to V6 I can see the db output levels whereas in V7 I do not see the vu level db output. Please see the attached pics. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: png Mixer V6 Vu Meters with db reading.png (90.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: png V7 Theme vu meters no db values.png (103.7 KB, 87 views)
Old 12-04-2023, 12:46 PM   #28
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
If I switch to V6 I can see the db output levels whereas in V7 I do not see the vu level db output.
If the v6 theme suits you, you should use it. There's your solution. Also, eventually;
Quote:
The default 7 theme will have the same meter behaviour as the default 6 theme, once its theme adjuster is completed.
but for now...

Quote:
as I said...

Quote:
Its an imperfect situation while I'm still working on the theme adjuster, sorry about that. Please continue to use the Default 6 theme, or whatever theme you were previously using, while the new offering gets up to scratch. Its going to be a while, sorry.
We can fill this thread with me keep coming up with new ways of answering but the song remains the same.
Old 12-04-2023, 03:54 PM   #29
Headroom

We can fill this thread with me keep coming up with new ways of answering but the song remains the same.[/QUOTE]

LOL I get the point!
Old 12-07-2023, 07:30 AM   #30
ivsound

Quote:
The v6 theme is not a fall back, it is fully featured in Reaper version 7. Reaper version 7 does have dB track meters, you have lost nothing. The v7 theme has the dB numbers hidden by default in Layout A if the track is unarmed, and like every decision this has pros and cons, and it changes a lot of other things too; new theme is different to old theme because of things about it that are different.
How on earth are you referring to this as a "decision".

Are you claiming it was an intentional decision by Cockos/you to omit dB numbers on the default layout of the V7 theme?
Old 12-07-2023, 08:12 AM   #31
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Well, I wrote some code for the theme to contextually show/ hide elements, and then I wrote a load of code for the script to control how and when those elements are shown, and then we did a whole pre-release process where I opened the floor to anyone who had a suggestion on what the defaults for what each and every one of those settings should be in each context, and this is where we ended up. So I would say there's some intent there, sure.

Apparently you disagree. Noted. Your remedies are as described above.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:10 AM   #32
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivsound View Post
Are you claiming it was an intentional decision by Cockos/you to omit dB numbers on the default layout of the V7 theme?
IMHO a very good decision !
Old 03-25-2024, 09:03 PM   #33
Superfly76

Wondering where we are at with this? I like the look of the V7 default theme, but my mixing workflow relies on seeing dB scales on track meters. VO work, mixing bands, TV show editing. It is an essential basic part of my workflow. Meters without a practical dB scales might as well just be pretty lights.

Sad that such a basic feature is missing, and met with such defensiveness by the team.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:04 AM   #34
mschnell

Did you try the theme adjuster ?
Same can enable a lot "non standard" GUI aspects.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:49 AM   #35
orbitbreak

Long-time reaper user but just made a forum account to +1 this feedback, which I also consider a bug since it doesn't honor the global preferences as of v7.14.
I'm disappointed by this redesign choice in the v7 theme, it's a dealbreaker for me even though I otherwise like the v7 theme changes and would love to use it once this one issue gets fixed. I have to revert to the v6 theme until then, which is a bit annoying since v7 was a paid upgrade for me.

I'm not aware of any physical faders that only show one (barely visible) line for unity gain and nothing at all for any other levels.
This makes it impossible to see the scale of the fader position, even the super minimalist faders have a couple more lines at +/- 3 or 5 dB so you can see roughly where the heck they are besides just zero/nonzero. And personally I frequently resize the docked mixer vertically and undock/redock, so with the fader height changing often I can't rely on muscle memory like "2 inches on the monitor is roughly 3dB."

I really don't understand what the rationale could've been for removing all the non-unity labels altogether, why even have faders in the mixer at all if you can't tell what they're set to besides zero/abovezero/belowzero? That could be shown by a little square with color gradient, if you're going all-out to save space. Make it a single pixel! Who needs faders anyway, all them kidz are fully in-the-box now so faders are as vestigial as the floppy disk save icon, it's 2024 people!

But seriously, I'm not interested in experimenting with prereleases, especially after just getting run-of-the-mill labeled faders working in my DAW as per its preferences settings required wacky stuff like reverting themes. Is there any solution for this in the stable release yet? Or are the preferences still broken 6 months after release, with a default theme bafflingly hardcoded with useless neutered faders that only show 2 bits worth of info? Layout C isn't a viable solution for me, can't see enough tracks at once with the extra width (mostly empty since I barely use sends and minimal FX).

Last edited by orbitbreak; 04-10-2024 at 09:21 AM.
orbitbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:54 AM   #36
ShibuyaCyana

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitbreak View Post
Long-time reaper user but just made a forum account to +1 this feedback, which I also consider a bug since it doesn't honor the global preferences as of v7.14.
well...actually showing dB scales will worsen the low framerate problem (along with a high report rate mouse), could this count as a reason? lol

Back to the problem, you can get the v7 theme adjuster script here, messing with it to show these numbers. It's pretty usable and you don't have to use a pre-release version of REAPER. Or just stick with v6 based themes, they won't cause any problem.
ShibuyaCyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 12:10 PM   #37
orbitbreak

Oh sweet thanks, set that up and yeah ticking the Meter Values options under Mixer Control Panels for all selection states gets me exactly what I wanted. I was planning to just stay on v6 theme but v7 is so sleek and shiny, glad there's a workaround to make it usable.

Meta reference there haha, maybe the final v7 adjuster will include a "xtreme gamer mode" for those of us with attention-craving hyperactive mice. For now my mouse will have to stay heavily sedated, hopefully not for long enough that it forms an addiction.

An upgrade to the version that includes it should overwrite this manual install right? It is a little wonky still, e.g. sometimes moving the window makes the left-side section tabs disappear.
orbitbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 04:17 AM   #38
JoeySunDotCom

7.15 - still nothing.
Love Reaper and the new look is beautiful.
But this isn't a design choice. It's broken.
There are things that need to be mixed by number.
Don't want to collapse the whole mixer to have them next to each other.
Don't want an explanation why someone would think this is better, either.

Also not gonna mess around with an external script
that I'll have to sync between locations.
Will stick with the v6 theme and cross my fingers
for it to be un-broken in v8.
JoeySunDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 07:27 AM   #39
mschnell

Did you try the theme adjuster ?
Same can enable a lot "non standard" GUI features.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:55 AM   #40
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeySunDotCom View Post
It's broken.
Its not broken. Its an imperfect situation while I'm still working on the theme adjuster, sorry about that. Please continue to use the Default 6 theme, which is included with Reaper v7, while the new offering gets up to scratch.